Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Has anyone here been intercepted whilst flying? What's it like?

I was on a flight from Dallas to Atlanta. Fell asleep before we lifted off but awoke midflight and the plane was dead quiet. No attendants anywhere. I popped open the window shade and saw we were passing over the coast out into the Gulf of Mexico which I didn't think was part of the flight plan.

This was circa 2003 so just as I started wondering about 9/11 I looked out the window and two F-16s passed just underneath the plane and then headed out over the Gulf. They were close enough I could make out the lettering on the tail.

Dunno what that was about but it was cool poo poo nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Cactus Ghost posted:

ahaha whoever did the avatar, well played

:perfect:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EasilyConfused posted:

Some good ones there:

AMERICAN MUSCLE
GRUMPY
GUMBY
GUNSHY
HULA DANCER
MIGHTY BOLWEVIL
TOUGH GUY
TUXEDO PYRAMID

BEAVIS F-16C/D 52FW 22FS/ 23FS Spangdahlem GE
CLAM BAKE US Customs, Boston, MA
DILDO various, VX-20 NAS Patuxent River MD
DREAMLAND "Area 51," Groom Lake, NV
FURRY F-16C/D 23rd FS Spangdahlem AB GE

I have questions about some of these. Others are obvious. :v:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Beavis, Dildo, and Furry are perfectly cromulent fighter pilot callsigns

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

quote:

ZELDA C-5M 22nd AS Travis AFB CA

ZEPEL RC-135 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, NE

ZEPPELIN 56 Warning Group - Mt Yoza Okinawa

WHICKED F-15 104th FG, MA ANG, Barnes ANGB MA

WE BAD A-10 Selfridge ANGB, MI

WARBOYS, Prefect T.1 RAF Cranwell, UK.

THREE GEESE Fairford RAF, UK

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 12, 2024

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Challenger 604 crashed in Naples Florida due to both engines failing on landing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1TCUBIFKIw

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URoVKPVDKPU

Wendover productions on the fall of Boeing. Interestingly, he claims that Boeing did the 737 Max because the previous 787 scheme was still (unexpectedly) commanding so much effort and Capital that doing a new aircraft was out of the question.

e2: it also sounds like Boeing did the (and maybe this has a proper name) the Dell squeeze on its subcontractors, basically making them take losses - again, because it already happened once with the 787 - with lots of nice cheap words as to how a payoff was happening at some point in the future.

e3: I think Wendover's take is exactly our take, except he got 5 by subtracting 2 from 7 instead of 5 from adding 2 to 3

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 13, 2024

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Losing money on each unit but making it up with volume - that worked so well for GM!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Advent Horizon posted:

Losing money on each unit but making it up with volume - that worked so well for GM!

It is cool; we’ll just make it up with our financing arm.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Real Amethyst posted:

Challenger 604 crashed in Naples Florida due to both engines failing on landing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1TCUBIFKIw

Seems like the only 3 passengers survived and two pilots died. Apparently they may have been aiming for the golf course on the other side of that tall barrier and didn't quite make it.

edit: 1 crew 2 passengers survived.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 13, 2024

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Advent Horizon posted:

Well, GM got bailed out so it did work for them. I'd sooner bet on the sun not rising than Boeing not getting a bailout.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Blue Footed Booby posted:

BEAVIS F-16C/D 52FW 22FS/ 23FS Spangdahlem GE
CLAM BAKE US Customs, Boston, MA
DILDO various, VX-20 NAS Patuxent River MD
DREAMLAND "Area 51," Groom Lake, NV
FURRY F-16C/D 23rd FS Spangdahlem AB GE

I have questions about some of these. Others are obvious. :v:

I haven’t looked and don’t intend to but I’d be a bit surprised if ‘MIGHTY BOLWEVIL’ wasn’t connected to Ft. Rucker or whatever they’re calling it now.

Also, I got ‘MOON MOON’.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There's dashcam footage of the Challenger plane in Naples coming down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRFWfjyq6h0

On one hand I feel like they were so close to getting it down without exploding. On the other hand, if they had landed "better" they likely would have hit more traffic and could have caused more deaths than just the pilots. Sucks all the way around. I wonder what the cause of dual engine failure is going to be.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I have discovered a weird airplane detail

So the Tu-160, as you know, has variable geometry wings. In the B-1b, when it sweeps its wings, the base of the wing slides into a notch in the fuselage. But the Tu-160 can't do this. The engines are almost on the same level as the wings, which means there is no space for the inbound wings to retract to. So instead the innermost portion of the wing has to flip up, out of the way. So now the innermost portion of the wing needs to work as a wing section and also be hydraulically driven to move out of the way, and also be aerodynamic at high speeds.

That wing bit must have been an engineering nightmare

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

So the Tu-160, as you know, has variable geometry wings. In the B-1b, when it sweeps its wings, the base of the wing slides into a notch in the fuselage. But the Tu-160 can't do this. The engines are almost on the same level as the wings, which means there is no space for the inbound wings to retract to. So instead the innermost portion of the wing has to flip up, out of the way. So now the innermost portion of the wing needs to work as a wing section and also be hydraulically driven to move out of the way, and also be aerodynamic at high speeds.

Apparently the MiG-23 and -27 debacle (to say nothing of the Su-17/-22 and -24) led to a lot of ulcers and unscheduled Siberia trips. But THE DECADENT WEST was making variable-geometry winged combat aircraft so MOTHER RUSSIA had to have them as well. And to be fair, the MiG-23 was perfectly capable of doing what it was designed for - which is climb and fly really fast in a straight line in the direction they were told to fly. Turning was another matter, as was landing at extremely high approach speeds (which pilots of the MiG-21s were already used to).

Also, their design philosophy was commonly "take what we know already (kinda-sorta) works (and already know how to make the tooling) and just scale it to fit the job," which isn't always going to work.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Tomcat wins again btich

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

THE DECADENT WEST

I used to watch episodes of Combat Approved on YouTube and I’d always crack up when the hack presenter and some bored flag officer would be all, “yes, we use wooden targets to test our ATGMs to save the state money unlike the wasteful Americans.”

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Speaking of Tomcat
Can't remember if this was posted here or I found it somewhere else. Pretty cool video about the air data computer. I knew generally about it, but this goes into some technical details I had never seen before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpruA5mC7wg

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Salami Surgeon posted:

Speaking of Tomcat
Can't remember if this was posted here or I found it somewhere else. Pretty cool video about the air data computer. I knew generally about it, but this goes into some technical details I had never seen before.

This popped into my feed like a week ago. Absolute god-tier pro-click.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, their design philosophy was commonly "take what we know already (kinda-sorta) works (and already know how to make the tooling) and just scale it to fit the job," which isn't always going to work.

Sometimes you get a good product that can be made cheaply with that philosophy, sometimes you get the N-1

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Sometimes you get a good product that can be made cheaply with that philosophy, sometimes you get the N-1

And then occasionally you get "hey, let's make submarines with liquid metal-cooled reactors."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The US did that too! Though ours was sodium cooled, not lead, and it didn't work very well.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Godholio posted:

I've made the "This the US Air Force on guard..." call to some idiot dentist/doctor/lawyer ...

Did you do this in an absolutely comically over-the-top gung-ho aggressive tone? Because I hard this once, and I didn't know whether to laugh or cringe or be scared on behalf of the bugsmasher pilot, or what...

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

There’s audio of a lot of intercepts on YouTube. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnAcI07SWMw

Not that it mattered, since the violating Cessna wasn't listening to the frequency, but why would the interceptor say "work North" instead of "turn North" or "fly North?" :confused:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Crazy that the guy was able to have a racial slur as a tail number.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Salami Surgeon posted:

Speaking of Tomcat

How dare he imply that Top Gun wasn’t a good movie?!

And he’d be right. I always thought I enjoyed it but it turns out that the movie is about 90 minutes longer than it should be. Now the second one, now that’s a good time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Warbird posted:

And he’d be right. I always thought I enjoyed it but it turns out that the movie is about 90 minutes longer than it should be. Now the second one, now that’s a good time.

I honestly think what could've made Top Gun a much better movie is if they'd kept Goose as having been Cougar's RIO and Merlin as Maverick's. Maverick and Goose get sent to Top Gun, but while they're in the same squadron, Goose is more Iceman-ish while Maverick is well, still Maverick, and they wouldn't have had the same chemistry in the cockpit.

I also think the opening scene would've been better if they'd kept Cougar's freak-out a bad case of vertigo, where he's convinced he's flying inverted no matter what Maverick or his instruments say.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warbird posted:

It’s an 80s school film with fighter jets. School films like that haven’t been a thing in forever now so I can completely understand that I suppose.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s an 80s school film with fighter jets. School films like that haven’t been a thing in forever now so I can completely understand that I suppose.

The OG Iron Eagle (which came out before Top Gun) is still a guilty pleasure of mine. Watching Art Scholl tear poo poo up in that Cessna 150 Aerobat is just loving :discourse:.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The OG Iron Eagle (which came out before Top Gun) is still a guilty pleasure of mine. Watching Art Scholl tear poo poo up in that Cessna 150 Aerobat is just loving :discourse:.

Slideslipping over the ridge :catstare:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/airlivenet/status/1757717102809567322

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
That sounds like a set up for a horror movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TuxedoOrca posted:

Only if it was filmed in Smell-O-Vision.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And to be fair, the MiG-23 was perfectly capable of doing what it was designed for - which is climb and fly really fast in a straight line in the direction they were told to fly. Turning was another matter, as was landing at extremely high approach speeds (which pilots of the MiG-21s were already used to).

lol at building a swing wing with poor landing performance.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Warbird posted:

Tomcat wins again btich

به خواست خدا

it will never not be funny to me that 100% of tomcat aces are iranian

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TuxedoOrca posted:

Watch Suspiria, it’s good.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

I can't even imagine how that would work

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I can't even imagine how that would work

You know that feeling when you apply a temporary fix to something around the house after taking a good, long look at your finances and materials/tools at hand? Best intentions, best laid plans, best unfuck things halfway in.

Maybe it'll be a problem for later you, maybe it'll be a problem for someone you'll never meet, the place might burn down or get flattened by a hurricane before that, but not fixing it immediately will be a now you problem.

Aeronautical engineering works much the same way.

Helicopters, too.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is there a picture of these flippy uppy wing bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

meltie posted:

Is there a picture of these flippy uppy wing bits?