Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Return to Drangleic is up next in the "Return to ____" rotation. Feb 27th - March 13th.

I played the hell out of the PS3 version, even got the platinum (10 years ago :stare: ), but this time I'll be playing the SotFS version on PS4. Any useful bugs or dupes in that version ala the soul dupe in DS1? The only "trick" I remember is beelining to The Rotten in NG+ and NG++ to farm it for souls instead of fighting the other bosses again.

I sword-and-boarded my way through the PS3 game, but I'm going to try and mix it up this time. Maybe double clubs :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
You do you, but most of the fun with RtD imho is to do everything and summon/invade/get summoned on the way. Farming the Rotten for souls is kinda counterproductive in that regards as it's not only boringly repetitive, but it also propels you further in soul memory, potentially matchmaking you out of the various people going through the world with a fresh new character (only potentially though, because SM ranges aren't that bad unless you farm hardcore).

Main tip would be to check for boss souls weapons, as some require NG+ drops. Like iirc, MLGS is crafted from NG+ Freya soul. So if you have something specific in mind, you know straight away who to aim for first with an ascetic.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The real trick is to do the infinite Giant King loop for half a million souls per pop

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Everyone who hasn’t done a DS2 hexer run should totally do a hexer run for Return to Drangleic.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Everyone who hasn’t done a DS2 hexer run should totally do a hexer run for Return to Drangleic.

And grab the MLGS on the way because it's the prettiest version in the entire series and it's a nice change come endgame when you're a bit tired with spellcasting.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

A melee weapon is neccessary for the DLCs unless you actually enjoy plink damage bad time.

Hexes + MLGS = good times :getin:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

FishMcCool posted:

You do you, but most of the fun with RtD imho is to do everything and summon/invade/get summoned on the way.

I'll be doing that for NG for sure. Gonna go slow and do everything, then just do some cleanup for NG+ and ++.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

drat, and I just did a DS2 replay a few months ago. I was planning on making my next playthorugh NG+ to finally experience all those changes too but... what the hell.

Does anyone have a recommended zone order? Last time I did Return to Drangleic I went to Brightstone Cove before Huntsman's Copse and it completely hosed my soul memory and pushed me out of co-op range for the rest of the game

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Does anyone have a recommended zone order? Last time I did Return to Drangleic I went to Brightstone Cove before Huntsman's Copse and it completely hosed my soul memory and pushed me out of co-op range for the rest of the game

Probably following the Fextra Life game progress route. Don't know if it's the "best," but a lot of people use it so you should have a decent pool to pull from.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Scrap Dragon posted:

drat, and I just did a DS2 replay a few months ago. I was planning on making my next playthorugh NG+ to finally experience all those changes too but... what the hell.

On the teleport menu, certain zones will have an orange outline which indicates that there's a large amount of online play in your SM range there. That's a good guideline for where you should be.

But in terms of what branches to go for first, I'd say the order is intended to be Lost Sinner -> Old Iron King -> The Rotten -> Duke's Dear Freyja. That's the order I usually go at least.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Electromax posted:

Here's the full version: https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1757391102829609323?t=bDrIZfoOcqiuwH6IK1EAhQ

Not sure if I'll add the DLC areas or not. Would like to but they are each sort of in their own little universe.

Also this kicks rear end. Love your work.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

axolotl farmer posted:

I did a hexer run and I think it was after they nerfed some dark orb ability, and it was still fun!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Scrap Dragon posted:

Whatever order gets you the equipment you're looking for the fastest.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Electromax posted:

Here's the full version: https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1757391102829609323?t=bDrIZfoOcqiuwH6IK1EAhQ

Not sure if I'll add the DLC areas or not. Would like to but they are each sort of in their own little universe.

very well done

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Dark Souls 2 is a literal nightmare dreamscape. It's the only way it makes sense, and I love it.

There was someone I was supposed to rememeber about, though...

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i know people think this is the bastard child of the series (correctly) but it has a certain charm to it that the other games just don't have. honestly i think i might like this one more than 3, i realize that's lunacy to say but something about it just hits right. i love this stupid broken game.

also this is still the funniest poo poo i've ever done and i'll never do something like this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDkr1O-B298

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Thinking DS2 is good, perhaps even the best, is actually the correct opinion and you are among friends.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lmao, beautiful shot

John Murdoch posted:

Thinking DS2 is good, perhaps even the best, is actually the correct opinion and you are among friends.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Dark Souls 2 is the best one.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
As someone who played 1-3 in a row for the first time over a few years, 3 really felt like the weakest with 1 feeling the strongest.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think story-wise 3 is probably the best one if you take the DLC into consideration (i loving love gael as a character) but man there's just something about ds2 that hits. except the frigid outskirts

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Thumbtacks posted:

i know people think this is the bastard child of the series (correctly) but it has a certain charm to it that the other games just don't have.

I don't think that's correct at all, actually

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Honestly 3s story felt the weakest of them all. It almost felt like a dark souls fanfic rather than something written by the creators.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Frigid outskirts is fantastic for invasions if you're a total bastard

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dyz posted:

Honestly 3s story felt the weakest of them all. It almost felt like a dark souls fanfic rather than something written by the creators.

I was so utterly disconnected from 3 and its chopped up mess of a world that I would argue that it barely even has a story, just lore. Had the exact same problem with Elden Ring too.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
DS3 is the MGS5 of dark souls

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

King of Solomon posted:

I don't think that's correct at all, actually

It is the odd man out in a lot of ways.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
DS2 definitely looks the shittiest. Its got so many ugly wall textures and big cube rooms. Dark souls 1 has that "old game" look, so the shittiness is actually good.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

uninstalled elden ring to make room for dark souls 2

does anybody else play the base version of ds2 for the return event?

i never got sotfs since i dont have an issue with the game's enemies and from what i understand sotfs adds in a bunch of enemy hordes or something? but apparently its the version everyone plays maybe?? if i buy the season pass, is that just the dlc or does it include the remixed enemies too?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Proletarian Mango posted:

uninstalled elden ring to make room for dark souls 2

does anybody else play the base version of ds2 for the return event?

i never got sotfs since i dont have an issue with the game's enemies and from what i understand sotfs adds in a bunch of enemy hordes or something? but apparently its the version everyone plays maybe?? if i buy the season pass, is that just the dlc or does it include the remixed enemies too?

I think the original version of ds2 doesnt have online anymore(?)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Dyz posted:

I think the original version of ds2 doesnt have online anymore(?)

oh poo poo that reminds me the whole reason i stopped playing last year was because the servers went down and i couldnt connect how tf did i forget that

thankfully it appears to have been fixed. i just started up the game and it connected to the dark souls 2 server right away and i made it in game without any kind of errors

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

DS3 is the technically best game in the series, with regards to balance, tight gameplay and quality of life stuff.

DS2 is the most fun game with the best fashion souls, weirdo npcs, huge build variety and just all round lots of things to do and lots of different ways to play.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DS2 is also the one that really really would benefit more from a proper remaster (Scholar feels like a big patch tbh). Visually it aged the worst (cept for Majula) in my opinion and animations will always feel off, both from the player and enemies. Most of my complaints are in the technical part because gameplay ones (even the ADP tax) I can live with and just adapt after a bit of playing.

At the other hand I agree with build variety, weird npcs, quests and routes to discover being the better things. I like all three DS games more or less equally, each one because of different reasons.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DS2 is my favorite, I find it relaxing. In DS3 everything screams at you and the combat is incredibly twitchy, it's a great game and I loved playing through it multiple times but I found it exhausting to play after a while.

I love DS1 similarly, but the time I spent with it was just different, I hated the pvp back then and only wanted to do things like SL1 challenge runs. I didn't really learn to appreciate souls pvp until DS2, because the game forced it on me and I had no real choice.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 14, 2024

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DS2 rules and it's the only Soulsborne where PvP is fun

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Worst parts of DS1 are the long hikes because you forgot to optimize your route pre-lordvessel.

Also the parts that are objectively bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Proletarian Mango posted:

if i buy the season pass, is that just the dlc or does it include the remixed enemies too?

Grabbing the DLC for original DS2 doesn't change anything in the base game. For maximum confusion it's still technically referred to as Scholar of the First Sin in places.

That said if you can get the actual Scholar version, I'd argue it's worth it. People downplay the breadth of the changes and (slightly) exaggerate the bad parts.

In exchange for a handful of areas being made harder, you get loads more NPC phantoms to play with, several areas are cleaned up (or just plain actually finished this time), the DLC keys are properly integrated into the game world, and certain items are available sooner which opens up more builds. And the lighting is nicer.

Despite its reputation, a lot of the remixed enemy layouts are less "let's make a wacky romhack version of DS2" and more "let's strip out some of the slapped together stuff and replace it with something more fitting".

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Grabbing the DLC for original DS2 doesn't change anything in the base game. For maximum confusion it's still technically referred to as Scholar of the First Sin in places.

That said if you can get the actual Scholar version, I'd argue it's worth it. People downplay the breadth of the changes and (slightly) exaggerate the bad parts.

In exchange for a handful of areas being made harder, you get loads more NPC phantoms to play with, several areas are cleaned up (or just plain actually finished this time), the DLC keys are properly integrated into the game world, and certain items are available sooner which opens up more builds. And the lighting is nicer.

Despite its reputation, a lot of the remixed enemy layouts are less "let's make a wacky romhack version of DS2" and more "let's strip out some of the slapped together stuff and replace it with something more fitting".

Basically ends like this: Vanilla DS2 on PC and PS360 gets the old experience even with DLCs. PS4/Xbone and Full pack Scholar on PC are upgraded.

I first played the SoTFS version on PC with all the new stuff so it was fun to get a DS2 Scholar copy on PS3 and compare with the older stuff. I prefer the new changes even if sometimes it leans harder on ganking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I wouldn’t mind going back to base DS2 as an unremixed version. Might be fun. Been so long! What’s the easiest way to do that?