Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A Sneaker Broker posted:

t's draft season.

As a Pats fan it's been like 10 years since I looked forward to my team's draft with anything but an expectation of bemusement. Will they finally change up the plan without Bill? Or can we expect them to trade back from 3, which will be used on a solid DB and some random yokel no other team graded above the 5th round???

The Jets sitting at 10 with several excellent trade back candidates right in front of them is another spot Bill would have historically leveraged for pure griefing purposes. Will the new regime also live to spite the Jets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hard to tell this year since the QBs are all pretty good, everyone wants a QB, everyone needs at least a backup because of concussion rules, it stands to reason that a lot of the top 10 teams would stay put but also there's a bunch of later picking teams that all need a QB. It's also an extremely weak draft in a ton of positions due to it being the last year of the covid bubble.

Also I believe there's a dearth of WR talent in the NFL so I can see it being realistic that a lot of them get snapped up early this year. Could actually see like 10 WRs going in the first 50 picks, maybe more.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Sam Darnold would have won that game

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Doltos posted:

Hard to tell this year since the QBs are all pretty good, everyone wants a QB, everyone needs at least a backup because of concussion rules, it stands to reason that a lot of the top 10 teams would stay put but also there's a bunch of later picking teams that all need a QB. It's also an extremely weak draft in a ton of positions due to it being the last year of the covid bubble.

Also I believe there's a dearth of WR talent in the NFL so I can see it being realistic that a lot of them get snapped up early this year. Could actually see like 10 WRs going in the first 50 picks, maybe more.

So this is more a "how do GMs think" question: will GMs take the wrong lesson from the Mahomes super bowls and devalue the WR position in favor of defense and TE?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Forrest on Fire posted:

So this is more a "how do GMs think" question: will GMs take the wrong lesson from the Mahomes super bowls and devalue the WR position in favor of defense and TE?

As I understand it the TE prospects aren't good this year anyway outside Bowers. Last year was the time to draft a TE (or two, if you're the Packers).

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

SKULL.GIF posted:

As I understand it the TE prospects aren't good this year anyway outside Bowers. Last year was the time to draft a TE (or two, if you're the Packers).

In terms of receiving threats, Ja'Tavion Sanders is a pretty drat good option. For run or pass blocking, Dallin Hooker or Ben Sennott are the names people should start getting used too.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I really like Bell, Sanders, and Sinnott. Bell is an interesting move TE with a lot of versatility, and good things happen when he's got the b CDall. Pretty good at blocking in space too, don't expect more than a chip from inline though. Sinnott is a good inline blocker and medium in space, but despite being big and slow has a lot to offer in the pass game. He's got good hands, transitions from catch to run really naturally and is hard to bring down. Sanders is the quintessential receiving TE.

There's upside in others in the rest of the class but they're more developmental prospects.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 12, 2024

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Thanks for the responses. I know drafts are dictated largely on the players but I know there's also nowhere near a consensus on draft boards. Given this is a COVID year draft, the depth is lower but it doesn't mean every team is bearish on the TE class.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

NIL + Covid Draft = Teams will Win or Lose drafts in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think 10 wrs by pick 50 sounds about right.

MHJ
Nabers
Odunze
Keon Coleman
Brian Thomas
Troy Franklin
AD Mitchell
Xavier worthy, legette, mcconkey probably all gone by 50?
Polk seems like he’ll be later 2nd round as things stand now but if there’s a run early in R2/end of R1 it could happen.

I’m sure I’m forgetting somebody else…Hell I think the first six are all but guaranteed to go in the first round.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I think 10 wrs by pick 50 sounds about right.

MHJ
Nabers
Odunze
Keon Coleman
Brian Thomas
Troy Franklin
AD Mitchell
Xavier worthy, legette, mcconkey probably all gone by 50?
Polk seems like he’ll be later 2nd round as things stand now but if there’s a run early in R2/end of R1 it could happen.

I’m sure I’m forgetting somebody else…Hell I think the first six are all but guaranteed to go in the first round.

Corley, Thrash

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Mel Kuiper impression:

You have a guy... who is a guy... who can be a guy... to be a guy... who guys recognize as...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's always been weird to me that Mel Kiper only has to work 4 months out of the year and he can't even do that. What kind of jaded entertainer do you have to be to not even watch film or be aware of NFL team needs? It's literally the easiest poo poo and just takes a modicum of effort.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Also, Malik Washington will be a bonafide WR2 from the slot. Get the name in now.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Doltos posted:

It's always been weird to me that Mel Kiper only has to work 4 months out of the year and he can't even do that. What kind of jaded entertainer do you have to be to not even watch film or be aware of NFL team needs? It's literally the easiest poo poo and just takes a modicum of effort.

counterpoint he put a ton of work into making the draft a television event and now doesn't really need to do gently caress all to cash those disney checks. i mean i will not watch or listen to him anymore but i have to respect the utter lack of hustle

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah tbh if I could pull 7 figures through half-assing and bullshitting analysis, that sounds pretty good

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

what if you're just bad at it when you try, so you might as well phone it in

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Doltos posted:

I absolutely love Mel as a TV personality, but they definitely fired the guy who knows more about the thing he's supposed to be covering (Todd McShay)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Todd was arguably worse than Mel which is an endeavor I didn't think was humanly possible.

The simple thing is that entertainment has never cared about quality if the audience is there. People view the draft as a great promise of hope for their team. That would have been inevitable with or without Kiper. They could trot anyone out there to regurgitate lines because viewers don't ask for more. I love the draft but I totally understand asking a fan to watch an hour of gametape to come to a conclusion is a ridiculous ask. The one good thing Kiper ever did was be a vulture looking talking head which paints the illusion of competency for the average viewer.

I do get really upset that draft discourse is linking mock drafts now. I definitely blame Mel Kiper and the rest of ESPN for that. It's not life ruining but it's undeniably annoying if you put effort into the hobby.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Doltos posted:

Todd was arguably worse than Mel which is an endeavor I didn't think was humanly possible.

The simple thing is that entertainment has never cared about quality if the audience is there. People view the draft as a great promise of hope for their team. That would have been inevitable with or without Kiper. They could trot anyone out there to regurgitate lines because viewers don't ask for more. I love the draft but I totally understand asking a fan to watch an hour of gametape to come to a conclusion is a ridiculous ask. The one good thing Kiper ever did was be a vulture looking talking head which paints the illusion of competency for the average viewer.

I do get really upset that draft discourse is linking mock drafts now. I definitely blame Mel Kiper and the rest of ESPN for that. It's not life ruining but it's undeniably annoying if you put effort into the hobby.

I think the ranking system makes no sense given how little teams agree after the first but it's a listicle system they can make money off

What's the linebacker scene look like? I mean off ball not edge rushers. The kind you'd see in a Zimmer school defense that rushes 4 in a 4-3 like the Cardinals have.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Forrest on Fire posted:

I think the ranking system makes no sense given how little teams agree after the first but it's a listicle system they can make money off

What's the linebacker scene look like? I mean off ball not edge rushers. The kind you'd see in a Zimmer school defense that rushes 4 in a 4-3 like the Cardinals have.

There are 3 good linebackers in this draft.

Jeremiah Trotter Jr
Junior Colson
Edgerrin Cooper

Pick one of those three and you are golden. Miss all 3 of those, and poo poo is out of luck for your team.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I'm glad this receiving class rocks, because the Bills should definitely double-dip - and take the first guy no later than 28th.
Really, I would rate their needs WR--------->S>DL>OL>CB. Given how expensive Mitch Morse is, and the fact he's getting older (though he's still playing great), they might want to grab a center to groom. If they go scorched earth and cut him (unlikely, IMO), then C skyrockets as a need.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Corley, Thrash

I’m not convinced those two go that high. I mean maybe if one of them blows up the combine but I see them as closer to end of round two early round three

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Jeremiah Trotter Jr

Jesus how many sons of former NFL stars are in this draft? There's like at least four or five.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I would like the Chargers to come out of the first two days with:

-a pass catcher
-a center
-a d-lineman

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I'm glad this receiving class rocks, because the Bills should definitely double-dip - and take the first guy no later than 28th.
Really, I would rate their needs WR--------->S>DL>OL>CB. Given how expensive Mitch Morse is, and the fact he's getting older (though he's still playing great), they might want to grab a center to groom. If they go scorched earth and cut him (unlikely, IMO), then C skyrockets as a need.

Brian Thomas and Javon Baker

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’m not convinced those two go that high. I mean maybe if one of them blows up the combine but I see them as closer to end of round two early round three

Corley is gonna go higher than most think. I also forgot about Javon Baker.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

a neat cape posted:

I would like the Chargers to come out of the first two days with:

-a pass catcher
-a center
-a d-lineman

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Oh hell yeah let's go

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jesus how many sons of former NFL stars are in this draft? There's like at least four or five.

luther ellis’s son is in, plays d line for the utes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

luther ellis’s son is in, plays d line for the utes

Also the brother of Kaden Elliss on the Falcons. Luther has like 12 kids apparently (some are adopted).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1757400317774205331

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

J.J. McCarthy in the first is not going to be seen as a big overdraft by the time it rolls around apparently (he's at #24 there)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nosre posted:

J.J. McCarthy in the first is not going to be seen as a big overdraft by the time it rolls around apparently (he's at #24 there)

I would take JJ in the Late First if I was a team that wanted him even if I had him as a second round grade

Extra year of control would be nice for someone like him.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Nosre posted:

Jets draft him for maximum comedy

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Lighter posted:

Chargers draft him for maximum comedy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm going to start doing tiktok draftnik stuff because I hate every draftnik on it

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Black Lighter posted:

Jets draft him for maximum comedy

pls no

Doltos posted:

I'm going to start doing tiktok draftnik stuff because I hate every draftnik on it

pls yes. There's probably also a good amount of money to be made if you can hit the algorithm

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Already on it baby

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...919a4d8b959d77&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I see that the athletic is stealing the ringer’s shtick of having fun interactive stuff for da draft.