Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Huh, so Samus hating the pirates so goddamn much that she de-orbits a space station into their base is intended progress? Wow. I'd have assumed I needed to do something to disengage the docking clamps and run around scouring the map. That is of course also assuming there isn't another way to make progress - given how much they've extended the game in this hack, I wouldn't put anything past them.

...huh, if there is a way to make progress without crashing the space station, the romhack may have multiple endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
smh if you get prompted to slam a space station into a planet and don't immediately slam that button as hard as possible

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I wouldn't have done it either besides for a lark, it feels so final

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Carbon dioxide posted:

...huh, if there is a way to make progress without crashing the space station, the romhack may have multiple endings.

I'm believe You need to get through a green laser to get to progression so the Metroid Suit is required, and there's no way to get back from the space station other than crashing it, the mass driver is one-way.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

the mass driver is just a normal elevator, so crashing the station isn't required to leave, but the game cannot be completed without crashing the station

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

smh if you get prompted to slam a space station into a planet and don't immediately slam that button as hard as possible

IMO it's the "without disconnecting the umbilicals" part that's gonna give people pause. That sounds like you're doing things out of order.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah, I think I remember looking around for a way to do it.

There's no option though, you just gotta crash that motherfucker. Which, let's face it, is 100% the Samus thing to do.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's like if after crashing BSL at the end of fusion Samus saw that the planet was still there, pushed up her sleeves Popeye style and landed her ship to finish the job.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Isn't the BSL in orbit around SR388? Samus already went down there in person to gently caress up the ecosystem.

So what I'm saying is, she knows her way around and attempt #2 (#3?) shouldn't take long.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Bruceski posted:

IMO it's the "without disconnecting the umbilicals" part that's gonna give people pause. That sounds like you're doing things out of order.

Yeah that's really weird! I actually thought they meant clamps holding Samus' ship so I was fully expecting them to return to the ship, try to take off, get told "it's still clamped idiot" and get a game over.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey whats one more thing to add from Dread?
This is really neat

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Apparently 3 years ago today I posted on my Facebook "Sexy Bedroom Tip #648: Whisper "The last metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace" during foreplay to really get him in the mood". Good to know my sense of humor hasn't changed

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That shutter you couldn't open makes me assume you're going to need to turn the lasers back on, since you can just walk through them now.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Weren't you supposed to go through the wall at the base of that shutter? I seem to remember there being a hidden passage there.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Weren't you supposed to go through the wall at the base of that shutter? I seem to remember there being a hidden passage there.

I think that's just a morph tunnel so you can hit the switch prior to getting Wave Beam.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 19: Double Draygon

My emulator choice comes back to haunt me.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's so odd. I've been using SNES9x for over 20 years (since it had one save state slot and the background was SNES9x in blue) and never experienced a crash like that. I've had it not load games, mostly because I don't know what headered and unheadered mean, but never a crash

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Maybe the Hyper Beam shows up in your inventory if it's currently active? No idea how it works in Super Metroid tbh

On a similar note, is there a downside to turning the lasers back on now that you can move through them?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
"We don't need to save before the boss, everything will be fine."

:colbert:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Could have been worse. Could have been Phantoom. Phantoon? I always forget.

Draygon is another example of where hack creators tend to overcorrect. It's a perfectly fine battle as is, but people seem to like making you fight her without the Gravity Suit, which is just a slog. I think Redesign made you fight her in sinking sand, which I felt was a good balance.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The biggest sin hack creators make with Draygon IMO is getting rid of the grapple quick kill.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bloody Pom posted:

The biggest sin hack creators make with Draygon IMO is getting rid of the grapple quick kill.

The problem with this is that there's just not a lot you can do to make the quick kill different...and if it is present unaltered, then anything you do to the rest of the fight doesn't matter either.

I think the worst Draygon fight I ever did put walls over the turrets, had a few spikes in the floor (just enough so that you couldn't move easily)...and had the water on a timer, so half the time you had air physics and half the time you had water physics. I'm pretty sure that uses the same "water gradually rises and falls" mechanic that is seen in a few rooms in vanilla, just with the parameters blown out to hell.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

The problem with this is that there's just not a lot you can do to make the quick kill different...and if it is present unaltered, then anything you do to the rest of the fight doesn't matter either.

I think the worst Draygon fight I ever did put walls over the turrets, had a few spikes in the floor (just enough so that you couldn't move easily)...and had the water on a timer, so half the time you had air physics and half the time you had water physics. I'm pretty sure that uses the same "water gradually rises and falls" mechanic that is seen in a few rooms in vanilla, just with the parameters blown out to hell.

One Draygon fight had the turrets as an option, but they also drained Samus' health incredibly quick too. It made for a good Hail Mary.

I think my least favorite Draygon fight was one that had the water flashing in and out of the room every few seconds, so no matter where you were the physics were constantly changing. Very aggravating

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Draygon is another example of where hack creators tend to overcorrect. It's a perfectly fine battle as is, but people seem to like making you fight her without the Gravity Suit, which is just a slog. I think Redesign made you fight her in sinking sand, which I felt was a good balance.

This actually got me thinking and since Draygon is based on a seahorse it probably is a he :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This actually got me thinking and since Draygon is based on a seahorse it probably is a he :v:

I always assumed Draygon was a shrimp.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The sand pits in her arena had damaging spikes at the bottom in Redesign. On paper the whole thing sounds like it would be okay, but in practice, it’s just intensely annoying, having to mash out of it to not get wrecked by Draygon or the spikes. It’s yet another thing that gets on your nerves in a hack that’s primed to annoy the poo poo out of you the longer you play it.

Honestly, of all the changes hack creators seem to make, the most common one for Draygon that I’ve seen is removing the quick kill in some way. And maybe making the turrets invulnerable. Which I think is a pretty alright choice for a lategame boss like this.

The only hack I’ve seen so far that’s done Draygon without gravity is like, Vitality. And even then, there’s no water in the arena, so you’re just dealing with a nasty fight without nearly as much resources as you would normally.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I remember when Golden Dawn was first released. The creator tried to block the quick-kill by putting grapple blocks over the turrets.

We were both surprised when I found out that Draygon doesn’t care what you’re grappled to, just that you are grappled to something. :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

XavierGenisi posted:

The sand pits in her arena had damaging spikes at the bottom in Redesign. On paper the whole thing sounds like it would be okay, but in practice, it’s just intensely annoying, having to mash out of it to not get wrecked by Draygon or the spikes. It’s yet another thing that gets on your nerves in a hack that’s primed to annoy the poo poo out of you the longer you play it.

Honestly, of all the changes hack creators seem to make, the most common one for Draygon that I’ve seen is removing the quick kill in some way. And maybe making the turrets invulnerable. Which I think is a pretty alright choice for a lategame boss like this.

The only hack I’ve seen so far that’s done Draygon without gravity is like, Vitality. And even then, there’s no water in the arena, so you’re just dealing with a nasty fight without nearly as much resources as you would normally.

I really liked Vitality, but I don't remember the Draygon fight. There's a lot of other memorable aspects about it though

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I always assumed Draygon was a shrimp.

You see I
Good point actually im not sure what my point was based on

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 20: Baseball

There was more of our Orioles talk but it was all happening before I hit the record button.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I get why later games ditched it, but I really like the mechanic of being able to switch suit upgrades on and off whenever you want.

Free game idea: a Metroid-alike where you can do FTL-style power management of your powerups.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

C-Euro posted:

Free game idea: a Metroid-alike where you can do FTL-style power management of your powerups.

It's a tabletop game and not a video game, but Space Gerbils

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

FPzero posted:

Episode 20: Baseball

There was more of our Orioles talk but it was all happening before I hit the record button.

For the record: plasma was needed to shoot the gate button surrounded by those glowing red bars. They showed up in the last recording, blocking the easy way to open the gates on the way to draygon, as they blocked beam shots, even with wave beam. Plasma lets you shoot through them.

also shoutout to the Captain Ahab videos by jon bois, briefly referred to at the start of the video, they are extremely good and worth watching, even if you have zero interest in baseball, or sports at all

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I find it very funny you checked the two nooks that look like background elements and ignored this possible path here, despite noting the strangeness of the second grapple switch:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I choose to believe that the second grapple switch is like how closets with latching doors are required to be able to be unlatched from the inside, just in case you get shut in somehow.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

I choose to believe that the second grapple switch is like how closets with latching doors are required to be able to be unlatched from the inside, just in case you get shut in somehow.

The number of times Samus has gotten stuck in her closet with no way out because none of her powerups work on the wall is starting to get embarrassing

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The lasers are an interesting idea, suddenly changing from damaging obstacle to something you might actively seek out in order to enable hyper beam. Makes me really wonder what weird stuff is still in store for us.
Actually, have we checked whether the missing beam slot is filled by hyper when we are standing in a laser?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

Actually, have we checked whether the missing beam slot is filled by hyper when we are standing in a laser?

It is not.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 21: A big, semi-blind laser puzzle

Part of me likes this puzzle in concept but the other part doesn't because of all the back-and-forth to check your progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, that Ridley fight really stinks. The puzzle would've been better if the prize was in that cage you wanted to destroy so you wouldn't have to do room transitions each time you attempted a combination.