Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i think and worry a lot about the culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

vaginite posted:

Seinfeld and Simpsons (and some other shows) are weird artifacts in that everybody watched these shows. It was actually a reliable common interest to test for as a conversation starter with a stranger you just met, and everyone got the references and stuff.

I kinda miss that cultural aspect of everyone watching the same shows. Now you gotta dig a lot deeper to find a topic someone is excited to talk to you about to get a conversation going.

The super bowl was 2 days ago, lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I remember being in like kindergarten or.1st.grade when the shuttle exploded and exclaiming " That's awesome!" Then being told no it wasn't people died. I just thought that was what we were waiting for.

I'm hoping that I can retire and get social security.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

RVWinkle posted:

I had an ancestor who was supposedly a scoundrel and uncouth. It was like 150 years ago but that's exclusively a character trait of someone in their 40s

I had some great, great, great uncle that murdered his entire family and then drowned in a lake as he tried to swim away from law enforcement. I think he was also like in his late 40s, so there’s definitely something going on there.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Stoatbringer posted:

Do they still make red-segment LED watches? Because those were the tits.

Armitron (!) still makes them, $40 on Amazon http://tinyurl.com/ybbx47ah

EDIT: Temu of course has one for $4

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Hollismason posted:

My retirement strategy is presuming that I will have access to $0/mo in social security

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

RVWinkle posted:

The super bowl was 2 days ago, lol

Was gonna say "sports" is the most reliable first poke now but it falls off a cliff after that, gotta get real open ended and hope they give you some clues.

I gotta talk to strangers a lot at work, I know this flowchart sounds goony but it's how I cope.

sugar free jazz posted:

Lol I'm not worried about it, just a thought I had w/r/t Seinfeld being a huge deal and the fact that there probably won't ever be a sitcom or show as big as it again with fractured media.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1757454595696029849?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Man the lobbyist grease from the MIC really must be something else.

loving Ronald Reagan himself said Social Security has nothing to do with the deficit: https://youtu.be/ihUoRD4pYzI?si=IiX-dd0YmUgNy7Nf

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kazil posted:

It's too much fun to argue about dumb poo poo like generations I guess

Is it a good thing considering the early vote was so heavily Dem?

Especially because Chuds don't trust mail in voting

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Serious_Cyclone posted:

My retirement strategy is presuming that I will have access to $0/mo in social security

Heart attack at my desk after a long week of overtime. If I ever can't work, an exit bag is much less suffering than being poor in the US.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Is it a good thing considering the early vote was so heavily Dem?

Especially because Chuds don't trust mail in voting

You are making the mistake of believing a thing they've said at face value.

Chuds might say they don't trust mail-in voting, but it's just that they are big fans of disenfranchisement in general, not because there's anything actual wrong with it.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Millennial are not going to save us.

:lol: Millennials couldn't even save themselves, I should know, I'm a Millennial :lol:

:smith:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I remember being in like kindergarten or.1st.grade when the shuttle exploded and exclaiming " That's awesome!" Then being told no it wasn't people died. I just thought that was what we were waiting for.

:same:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

goons just ignore the lovely, negative attention craving troll challenge (impossible)

I mean, it's been nine years and we're still paying attention to Trump...

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Hollismason posted:

My first thought on 9/11 (I was ten years old) was something along the lines of

“good, they deserve it”.

Which, in hindsight, is a hosed up thing for a ten year old to think… those individuals probably didn’t deserved it - but drat was I right in the aggregate.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

sugar free jazz posted:

You should because the mutually agreed upon reality is slipping away and that's when tribalism kicks into high gear.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Aramis posted:

You are making the mistake of believing a thing they've said at face value.

Chuds might say they don't trust mail-in voting, but it's just that they are big fans of disenfranchisement in general, not because there's anything actual wrong with it.

Jesus gently caress we don't have to doomer every loving thing. Mail-in and early voting were way up among registered Democrats. Low turnout day of voting is probably bad for Republicans.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Climate Deranged Electric Vehicle is my favorite new Transformer from the Bay films (shot in Georgia)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Why isn't the polling station incredibly crowded at 11 AM on a Tuesday???"

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Catastrophe posted:

Just curious. This is a serious question:

What exactly would make conservatives happy about "BORDER!"

edit: I'm asking because I genuinely don't think they know.

The common chud won't be happy until their masters (politicians, fox News, etc) stop beating that drum. So basically when it stops being a useful wedge issue (never)

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

kazil posted:

Jesus gently caress we don't have to doomer every loving thing. Mail-in and early voting were way up among registered Democrats. Low turnout day of voting is probably bad for Republicans.

Sorry, by no way did I mean that in a doomer way. Mail-in ballots do favor democrats, and that is cause for optimism. I meant to say that's it's because turnout favors democrats in general. It's got nothing to do with CHUDs trusting it or not.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aramis posted:

I can't even rely on Office Space references landing reliably anymore. What is the world coming to?

I saw some Gen Z staff messing with the printer at work a while back and so I said the line, and they looked at me like I was off my rocker.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

"Why isn't the polling station incredibly crowded at 11 AM on a Tuesday???"

Dang, you've cracked the code of people voting on a Tuesday in the US

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

don't worry, mayonnaise isn't going anywhere

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The real defining trait of zoomers is that we’ve lived either our entire lives or our entire adult lives in the state the country is currently in. That ain’t healthy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

oh poo poo new plague just dropped, and in an election year again

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

vaginite posted:

Was gonna say "sports" is the most reliable first poke now but it falls off a cliff after that, gotta get real open ended and hope they give you some clues.

I gotta talk to strangers a lot at work, I know this flowchart sounds goony but it's how I cope.

Lol I'm not worried about it, just a thought I had w/r/t Seinfeld being a huge deal and the fact that there probably won't ever be a sitcom or show as big as it again with fractured media.

there is just so much content nowadays you can't possibly get through it. i just picked up fargo and i'm on season 2 but i also finished reacher season 2. those shows are like 10 years apart but almost guaranteed people have not watched those shows. i'm sure _some_ people have but i can't talk about it other than, "oh you should watch it"

i think the other shows that have this cachet are like, the wire and the sopranos, but even then its not 100%. it really is just "sports" and not even the world series / stanley cup (you mean like the drink tumbler?) is really that relevant across the country.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

kazil posted:

The last thing he was heard saying was “braaaaaiiinnnssss!”

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

kazil posted:

alaskapox just happens to kill someone in alaska and I'm supposed to just accept this story at face value? don't you dare close the applebees again!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

kazil posted:

I don't need this right now.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Grey Cat posted:

it's ok, zero new cases by the end of April

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is this one of the melting permafrost diseases we have been warned about

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I read a version of this story this morning, turns out you get it from eating small mammals in Alaska, and this dude was getting treatments for cancer so his immune system was borked

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Bats are small mammals. It's happening again isn't it

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

priznat posted:

Is this one of the melting permafrost diseases we have been warned about

googling around, it looks like the virus has been circulating since at least 2020 and the spread to humans is mostly caused by a boom in the vole population in Alaska, which is a byproduct of a warming climate

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

:shrug: Don't go to Fairbanks?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

kazil posted:

Oh great, just what we need, a disease that turns you into Sarah or Todd Palin

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Alaska "HOckey" Pox

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Corn Glizzy posted:

I read a version of this story this morning, turns out you get it from eating small mammals in Alaska, and this dude was getting treatments for cancer so his immune system was borked
Maybe people should stop eating bats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

kazil posted:

BRB gonna go buy all the toilet paper out of every market near me. Anybody else need anything?