Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

As someone who grew up in the evangelical Rapture-any-day-now tradition*: that whole poo poo is crazy as hell. And stressful, certain strains of Christian take great joy in explaining, in detail, what punishments the forces of the Beast will visit upon the faithful - my older cousin told me that the anti-christ would have all Christians executed by guillotine, but facing up so they could see the blade...

*There are three main views of the tribulation vis a vis the rapture: that it happens before the tribulations and it is only the wicked that suffer, that it happens midway through the tribulations, or that it only happens after.

I know this is the TV thread, but if you like reading I highly recommend Hell is a World Without You by Jason Kirk who grew up in that tradition and is now a college football journalist. As a bonus all the proceeds until 2/17 are donated to the Trevor Project.

quote:

Rarely has an Evangelical upbringing been depicted with the relentless honesty, wide-ranging empathy, and Superbad-meets-Siddhartha playfulness of HELL IS A WORLD WITHOUT YOU.

“During the time of Pizza Hut buffets, 9/11, and all-night Mario Kart parties, a grieving teenager faces a mortal crossroads: fire-and-brimstone certainty vs. forbidden love. And whether or not you’ve ever begged God to delay the Rapture (so you could have time to lose your virginity), that kid’s story is about you.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched a review the other day of a Pureflix rapture tv series and it was kind of funny how badly the show was put together. The main character is a 15 year old girl who gets left behind and she just comes off as dumb hitchhiking and accepting rides from strangers after society has started to collapse. Except sometimes things are fine? Someone breaks into her house to steal food so she takes off and stops at a convenience store which is fully stocked.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao I was evangelical af when I started the books and started stopping by the time I got to the later ones. I always hated the main pilot guy, hated him even more in the movie. I was so pissed when they killed her lol.
The weirdest thing about the books is they never really made a convincing argument as to why the antichrist was bad, you just need to be onboard 1000% that God and Jesus are unquestionably good and right no matter what and never even think about it just know they're right and anything against them is wrong. When they do try and make Carpathia's antichrist government seem bad it feels very forced or logically unsound -- or worse, really just Gods fault for doing all the high fantasy magic disaster movie poo poo.

I can't remember if Islam is mentioned and if it was I'm sure it's a problematic mess, but it mostly seemed like True Christians got to go to heaven magically, an arbitrary amount of Jewish people are allowed to survive and eventually hang out in Super Israel, and your only way to avoid Jesus' March of Doom is to become Christian enough before Jesus comes back.

If anything, the books make a case that the secular people of Earth should band together to resist the obliterating forces of Christ and his armies. If you were alive during the antichrist utopia and a decent jesus-rejecting citizen you would have no reason to beleive Jesus' kingdom would be desirable no natter what Christians claim to will be like. Most evidence in the Bible points towards God being very destructive whenever he pokes his head in, did the one creator thing and everything after that was essentially murder, torture, or spiteful mass murder torture.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's 144,000 Jews that are saved at Armageddon. (Jehova's Witnesses believe that a total of 144,000 souls will be allowed into heaven and that will be based on how many people you convert to Jehova's Witnessery, which explains their whole deal)

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1757483954712510749

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Scabs: LA

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

If you haven't, you should watch the documentary Chaos on the Bridge about the creation and filming of TNG season 1.

I have not, thanks! That sounds really interesting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Left Behind books sounds fun in theory if you just look at a synopsis. But they're very bland. I grew up kind of in and out of church. By the time I became aware of the books I was about 14 or 15 and there was already like four of five books in the series. This is around 1998 or so.

I know not a lot of you probably grew up in a church or around a church. My parents were not church goers but a lot of my friends were. So that's how I got into it about 10 or 11 years old. My church wasn't a crazy fundie church or anything, it was casual and small. I eventually stopped going about four of five years later around the time the Left Behind books came on my radar. And as a kid who loved comic books and scifi and who was part of the church system there was a pull to Christian Eschatology that I imagine a lot of boys of a similar age and interests go through. As mentioned there is wild stuff in Revelations. And that was a part of the Bible that was never really touched upon much in church. At least not in my church. My Sunday School stuff focused a lot on Old Testament stuff with David and Nebuchadnezzar and stuff like that and services and sermons were always more generic messages. Revelations was never touched on so it was like the part of the Bible you heard was kind of crazy but didn't really know anything about.

So Left Behind was very enticing to someone of certain age and certain circumstance and demographic. And it kinda blew up way bigger beyond that and turned into a powerhouse. There were MANY imitators and knock offs. Suddenly fiction based on Christian Eschatology was a big cash cow. I read a lot of different series and books over that time. I never did finish Left Behind because it dragged on forever and eventually I went to college and became less interested in that stuff. One of the better series I read during that was just a three book series. The Anti-Christ in that book was actually a clone of Jesus that was created from the blood on the Shroud of Turin. The story is also told from the point of the view of the father figure of the Anti-Christ. It also tried to tie in all religions in the plot and make them all seem somewhat right, again because it's from the POV of the 'bad guys' in the story. My aunt was way into those books too and she actually stopped reading it during the second book because the POV characters and that everything is framed as if it's good and in the interest of the word. It was a neat spin on it. Of course if I tried to read that again it would probably be lame but to a kid it was fun at the time.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 13, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol, "charasmatic"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Screwtape Letters was a more interesting story through a very Christian lens, one that works more even for "secular" people since the cartoony demon relationships/bureaucracy are basically christian-myth fanfics that have bleed into pop culture and back into Christianity itself.

It's ultimately still about preaching a set of values for Christians and how good their god is supposed to be, but it doesn't drag on for too long and it has human elements with the demons. The sins/evils I think were more universal than some Christian sins can get, but it was also a long time ago and maybe I forgot the letter where demon tries to tempt the The Patient into supporting human rights.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

MarcusSA posted:

I’d watch a show about murder Jesus.

The video game Inquisitor based on Polish novel series "I, the Inquisitor" has you covered.

Inquisitor game blurb posted:

The game is set in an alternative version of (religious) reality, inspired by the bestselling Inquisitor book series by Jacek Piekara. Once nailed to the cross and near death, Jesus becomes consumed by utter rage. He breaks free and unleashes violent vengeance on all the non-believers. Centuries pass and now an army of zealot Inquisitors brutally enforce the faith in this blood-soaked Church.

You are Mordimer Madderdin, an Inquisitor in God's service, sent to the town of Konigstein which is plagued by a series of mysteries and sin. Solve the various cases and crimes of those who have transgressed against the faith, all while uncovering the truth of a darker evil from another realm that is trying to enter the world of the living.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Lol, "charasmatic"

Suits was 100% about a cast with incredible chemistry, as perfect as it can really get.

Casting the lead is the least significant part of it and this whole thing reeks of some exec hearing about the show for the first time being the most popular thing on Netflix when it debuted there, and determined that people will watch anything called "Suits".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was bewildered reading the synopsis of the Left Behind books in this thread and reading multiple posts about the non-Christians living in a utopia where there is no hunger or war or need and then that these were the... bad guys? :psyduck:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I was bewildered reading the synopsis of the Left Behind books in this thread and reading multiple posts about the non-Christians living in a utopia where there is no hunger or war or need and then that these were the... bad guys? :psyduck:

Yeah I was also confused

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

User nickname-post combo

I grew up in a non-believing household, so I wasn't exposed to a lot of crazy Christian media as a kid, but there was that show "Touched by an Angel" or something?, and I'm sure that'd be extremely hosed up to watch now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jerusalem posted:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Timby posted:

Shows and movies often have streaming agreements made years in advance. Netflix's European division paid for the rights to Star Trek: Discovery and that money covered the entire first season's production costs, for example. CBS / Paramount sold the streaming rights for Yellowstone to NBCUniversal before the first episode ever aired.

Mm. Could be in between shifting streaming services. The new twilight zone is on Stan here, so I guess it’s just all coming across slowly? Digital distribution rights are whacked out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The foot washing ad backlash is amazing because the organization that ran it is actually funded by far right bigots and it just exists as a way to run ads pretending to be more inclusive as a strategy to market christianity to younger people, but all the christians hate it because it is actually vaguely based on stuff Jesus said

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jerusalem posted:

I mean in the books it's framed much more sinister. They talk about having to take the mark of the beast and all that and even have like executions of people via guillotine (I believe they called them Loyalty Factories or something like that) if they don't obey the laws set forth by Carpathia. I believe the actual Utopia is when the believers come back to inherit the Earth after the fall of Anti-Christ's army.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we please go back to talking about normal poo poo in this thread, I have no idea what the gently caress is going on

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Can we please go back to talking about normal poo poo in this thread, I have no idea what the gently caress is going on

We are talking about Murder Jesus.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Best Jesus so far was the one in that weird show with the name on one of those streaming sites you forget about.
Sexy nunpoly service industry dadissues Jesus.

The Jesuses vignette in American Gods was also really good Christery.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The one Jesus dropping something into the pool but he can't get in to retrieve it because he walks on water :allears:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

The one Jesus dropping something into the pool but he can't get in to retrieve it because he walks on water :allears:

I kind of assumed that Jesus walking on water was a miracle by the grace of god, not the result of Jesus’s inherent physical buoyancy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

American Gods had a lot of fun with making very literal interpretations of the various different human perspectives of Jesus, including one that was a gun-toting, immigrant hating and very white American male Jesus. Similarly the Jesus who can't get past the water is the perspective of the meek, friendly and acommodating to a fault Jesus who loves everybody unconditionally and feels deep sorrow for any travails they might be facing. They're all at a big Easter party for the old God of Spring/Renewal, and Odin shits in the punch bowl by pointing out to her that everybody associates Easter with Jesus now and not her, because the Catholic Church co-opted the old pagan traditions for themselves. Friendly Jesus hears this and immediately apologizes to her for it :3:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I never watched the show but I recall in the book the only time Jesus appears it’s as a hippy in a park. I think that’s also when a couple Sandman characters have the cameo too.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Gripweed posted:

I kind of assumed that Jesus walking on water was a miracle by the grace of god, not the result of Jesus’s inherent physical buoyancy.

Jesus had hovercraft feet. It's what the 'H' in his name stands for.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I live in the Philippines, which is predominantly Catholic (and it's also how I was raised) and I first learned about this tribulations stuff after college, when I caught some movie playing on Cinemax. One of the early lines was someone saying "there's this thing every Christian in the world believes in called the Rapture" and I was like "lol what, is this one of those things where a writer wildly misinterprets the beliefs/writings of a religion not their own?"

Boy was my mind blown that day when I looked it up afterwards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I am only two episodes in but Masters of the Air is really good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The rapture is one of the many common misconceptions about the Bible. As in it's not actually in the Bible. It's just a popular interpretation of a couple of vague things mentioned in the Bible. Same as in going to Heaven after you die. Never said in the Bible. Some people just interpret certain statements that way. If you look at it textually it says you remain dead until the second coming. That's when Jesus raises the dead and gathers the living. That's the line that people interpret as the "rapture" in this case.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's an old renaissance painting I can't remember the name of, set after the second coming, and there's this wonderful little bit in the corner with some skeletons all queued up and shooting the poo poo while they wait to get their organs, muscles and skin back while Jesus is doing paperwork :3:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

X-O posted:

The rapture is one of the many common misconceptions about the Bible. As in it's not actually in the Bible. It's just a popular interpretation of a couple of vague things mentioned in the Bible. Same as in going to Heaven after you die. Never said in the Bible. Some people just interpret certain statements that way. If you look at it textually it says you remain dead until the second coming. That's when Jesus raises the dead and gathers the living. That's the line that people interpret as the "rapture" in this case.

Zombie murder Jesus

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
For a show that’s getting mixed reception online, it sure seems really popular with the general public.

https://x.com/THR/status/1757494891796701279?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ron Perlman as the world's biggest moody tween in Mr. & Mrs Smith was amazing, haha.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Jerusalem posted:

Ron Perlman as the world's biggest moody tween in Mr. & Mrs Smith was amazing, haha.

72 years old!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bright Bart posted:

72 years old!

"...I think I threw up..."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My mom raved to me about Night Country the other day and she usually never does that.

I don't even think it's that bad, it's just kinda underwhelming, but I'm used to that from True Detective at this point.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it's fine, but Peter is the only character on the show that I like. I haven't watched much True Detective before this season, so I can't compare it to the others.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s definitely fairly underwhelming at times (episode 5 was pretty sick though) but I don’t get the hate at all. It’s still way better than season 2 and a step up from 3 as well. Is it just “bloody women in the man show!!!!” or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the dialogue is pretty bad and it's very reliant on cliché