Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
getting a good lol at the "bpa-free" sticker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

seriously there's a bunch of scholarship about how the SS and the Einsatzgruppen were all demented and suicidal from what they were doing so it makes sense that the US is having to provide "emotional support" for people who can't sleep at night from facing their own demons

the substance abuse was immense
if they dont get cookies they probably end up doing drugs on watch

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ArmyTimes/status/1757414583197708607?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are those tents? yeah let the boys sleep on the ground that will make them happier

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
An estimated 19,000 pieces were transferred to other units or depots for maintenance. The rest went to the Defense Logistics Agency for other dispositions such as foreign military sales, donations to veterans organizations — think of the tanks in front of the Veterans of Foreign Wars halls across the country — or to be sold for scrap.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Gripweed posted:

does anybody have that video of the guy asking the Australian army man why Australia needs a big navy to protect trade with China from China?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgspkxfkS4k

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Dude looks like he's missing his canteen cup lol

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

quote:

In one example, a typical Humvee turn in, which would include a detailed inspection, could take two to three hours on average. Through the pilot process it took about 15 minutes, said Col. David Alvarez, 3rd Expeditionary Support Corps assistant chief of staff for support operations.

quote:

George also noted early on in his tenure that he wanted to drastically reduce the footprint of units’ command posts. He sees a not-too-distant future where a commander uses no more than a tablet from the back of a vehicle to share an operating picture with their staff

quote:

Some examples included computer and data systems, avionics testing equipment, a grader in the combat engineer company and secure telephones, Ashley Patoka, a Forces Command spokesperson, told Army Times.

Lmao

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

WFH army coming soon.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Fight from Home army when?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Retromancer posted:

WFH army coming soon.

grats bro, skaven or high elf?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
There's a bit in Stephenson's REAMDE where a character becomes mega-wealthy because they gameified and gigified basic digital functions into their MMO's world. The example given in the book is that airport security cameras are monitored by people playing not-WoW, watching for goblins and orcs walking the wrong way through a fantasy hallway.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

We're all going to die.

What the gently caress?!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

We're all going to die.

What the gently caress?!

It's definitely a Ukraine thing where they looked at Ukrainian commanders commanding from a tablet and think it's the best idea in the world.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i wholeheartedly support this initiative and hope that it helps render the us army combat ineffective asap

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Danann posted:

It's definitely a Ukraine thing where they looked at Ukrainian commanders commanding from a tablet and think it's the best idea in the world.

Everyone in power in the West genuinely believes everything 25 year old failkids write in The Economist is true. those 25 year old failkids get their current events updates from Reddit. Reddit truth is determined by the whims of national security agencies. And those national security agencies are ran by people who read and believe The Economist. The entire elite is basically trapped in a fever dream of their own creation.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

i wholeheartedly support this initiative and hope that it helps render the us army combat ineffective asap

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

"PRIVATE I returned a rental car in cabo last week and it took less than five minutes! a man with tablet just said "you're good!" i want returning HUMVEEs to be just as fast!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

the 90th missile wing will be using this program to ditch those big long weird pointy cylinders taking up space in their subterranean drug caves.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Frosted Flake posted:

On uniforms, very amusing text exchange with my dad just now

He's in a position where presumably someone should have briefed him on this, but it's a dysfunctional institution so

Wow NATO life, CATO wife, and OF-8 dad

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

He wishes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lol Canada uses maple leaves instead of stars because the idea of Canada is so thin that every little bit helps.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

We're all going to die.

What the gently caress?!

bro you dont follow these military news twitters?
its the funniest poo poo

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ArmyTimes/status/1757417101805916249?s=20

House lawmakers are looking into potential fixes for military deployment rules that can cost some troops hundreds of dollars in meal stipends even if they aren’t eating at base dining facilities.

Army Capt. Christopher Wilson, commander of Bravo Company, 1-12 Infantry Regiment, currently stationed in South Korea, wrote in his open letter to lawmakers that the situation is causing financial stress for a number of his troops and others stationed overseas.

“Many of our deployed servicemembers are taking home less income [when] deployed than when they are home,” he wrote. “This oversight is unacceptable.”

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lol wait they have to pay for their own lunch while deployed? thats hilarious

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

fits my needs posted:

House lawmakers are looking into potential fixes for military deployment rules that can cost some troops hundreds of dollars in meal stipends even if they aren’t eating at base dining facilities.

Army Capt. Christopher Wilson, commander of Bravo Company, 1-12 Infantry Regiment, currently stationed in South Korea, wrote in his open letter to lawmakers that the situation is causing financial stress for a number of his troops and others stationed overseas.

“Many of our deployed servicemembers are taking home less income [when] deployed than when they are home,” he wrote. “This oversight is unacceptable.”

lol they get charged for eating at the loving mess hall?? lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

school military lunch debt

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

american troops really are the biggest suckers in the world

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i guess they have to pay for all the fidget spinners on their uniforms and stuff, why not charge em for food? hell, charge em for their fuckin boots and guns lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
An army marches on its same store sales

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

private fatass blowing all his deployment pay on the worst cheeseburgers in the world

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

do they stick triple amputees with the bill for hacking off their limbs too

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Al! posted:

american troops really are the biggest suckers in the world

Trump got in trouble for saying this

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This was one of those "innovations" where stupid loving lawmakers were complaining that military provisions weren't a self-funded program or whatever the gently caress ever, the the "compromise" was that meals are deducted. It's not a "free lunch" at the taxpayers' expense, see?

We have regimental wet mess membership deductions, but we're not so burger brained as to have our meals come out of our pay other than garrison dry mess membership which is like $50 and pays for events and holiday decorations or whatever.

Basically, America is totally poisoned by aversion to a welfare state, even though that's what the military should be to function.

e: snip

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Feb 13, 2024

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

fits my needs posted:

Next up: making your soldiers pay for their standard issue weapons and bullets.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

theres no such thing as a free bullet

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/AirForceTimes/status/1757081891654537393?s=20

‘More with less’: Lacking parts, airmen scramble to keep B-52s flying
By Stephen Losey

BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. — As the B-52H Stratofortress tops more than six decades in service, it’s grown increasingly temperamental — and for the U.S. Air Force, a challenge to keep in the air.

Its original 1960s-era engines keep finding “new and creative” ways to break, as an Air Force Global Strike Command leader put it. Stocks of spare parts are limited, and the industrial base needed to repair broken components or make new ones is drying up.

The Air Force is scrambling to keep the B-52 bomber operational and is resorting to an array of options to do so — up to and including a process called cannibalization. To date, three out of every five B-52s are able to carry out their missions at any given time.

Airmen across the spectrum at Barksdale Air Force Base — from the flight line and supply shop to leadership — describe a situation where maintainers must regularly “cannibalize” parts, meaning take them off one B-52 to be installed on another so the second aircraft can fly.

It’s a lengthy process that can create further problems, and it’s meant to be a last resort. But the B-52 community is increasingly turning to that method. Tech. Sgt. Bonny Carter, the noncommissioned officer in charge of the B-52′s decentralized maintenance support section at Barksdale, said the rate of cannibalization has gone up 200% since 2019, before the coronavirus pandemic snarled supply chains worldwide.

Global Strike Command disputed that figure, though it acknowledged cannibalization rose over the last five years mainly due to obsolete parts. The command did not provide statistics on cannibalization rates, as requested by Defense News.

Vendors, pool of parts dwindling
The biggest maintenance challenge facing the B-52 is the “slow atrophy” of the defense-industrial base that supplies it, according to Miller.

“The vendor base is just drying up,” he said. “Trying to entice vendors to continue to make very old, very difficult parts in small numbers is a challenge,” particularly when it comes to specialized parts with little, if any, value to commercial aviation.

The reduction of the B-52 fleet over the years — from a high of 744 to 76 today — also shrunk the market for spare parts, further limiting companies’ opportunities to make money in this business. Some companies, particularly small mom-and-pop shops, have either decided to stop making parts the B-52 relies upon, or gone out of business entirely.

“When we do the cannibalization, it downs another aircraft so we can make this aircraft flyable to conduct its mission, to get training hours,” Carter said. “And then we have to swap again. We are constantly swapping parts.”

“But we’re learning to work with what we got,” she added. “You know, more with less.”

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

fits my needs posted:

Lol that the army doesn't even feed you for free anymore. It rules how pervasive Capitalism has become. Lol that the furthest left any of these idiots can think is be an anarchist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Lol that the army doesn't even feed you for free anymore. It rules how pervasive Capitalism has become. Lol that the furthest left any of these idiots can think is be an anarchist

"Historically, the military provided both housing and food as part of a service member’s compensation. As of 2002, all service members receive a Basic Allowance for Subsistence to pay for their meals per the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s annual food cost index.

For 2024, the monthly BAS rates are:

Enlisted service members: $460.25/month
Officers: $316.98/month"

"Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS)
BAS is meant to offset costs for a member's meals. This allowance is based in the historic origins of the military in which the military provided room and board (or rations) as part of a member's pay. This allowance is not intended to offset the costs of meals for family members. Beginning on January 1, 2002, all enlisted members get full BAS, but pay for their meals (including those provided by the government). This is the culmination of the BAS Reform transition period.

Because BAS is intended to provide meals for the service member, its level is linked to the price of food. Therefore, each year it is adjusted based upon the increase of the price of food as measured by the USDA food cost index. This is why the increase to BAS will not necessarily be the same percentage as that applied to the increase in the pay table, as annual pay raises are linked to the increase of private sector wages."

:911:

lol that they did this right after 9/11