Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

smoobles posted:

Google canceled a good app (Podcasts) and created a bad app (Gemini). It is as it always is. Sunrise, sunset.

Googles cancellation of Podcasts and it's half baked implementation into YT Music is baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Googles cancellation of Podcasts and it's half baked implementation into YT Music is baffling.

The podcast app is simple and does exactly what is expected of it, nothing more.

This is an affront to innovation and cannot stand.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

The podcast app is simple and does exactly what is expected of it, nothing more.

This is an affront to innovation and cannot stand.

Translation: it literally generated no ad revenue

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can anyone recommend a podcast app, ideally with these 2 features that I love from Google Podcasts (Rest In Piss)

1. Automatic downloading of new episodes in the background

2. Ability to quickly add an episode to "next" in the playlist/queue. Ideally with a single button tap (e.g. Podcast Addict makes you go thru a wee menu)

Don't mind paying for it if it's a good app!!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
PocketCasts has been and still is the best podcast app.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

PocketCasts is fine but I still preferred Google Podcasts.

PC is significantly better than YouTube Music though... Great job Google!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Looking at getting USB security keys for my computer, laptop, phone and iPad. Anyone got experience with the Google Titan Security Keys, or is there a thread dedicated to this kind of thing?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looking at getting USB security keys for my computer, laptop, phone and iPad. Anyone got experience with the Google Titan Security Keys, or is there a thread dedicated to this kind of thing?

I have a titan key and it kinda sucks compared to my YubiKey. I have had the NFC YubiKey awhile and it's great. Dunno about there being a thread about them specifically.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

My Titan keys work just fine. I got the combo pack when they first launched. I use the USB/BT one on my desktop and NFC on my phone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What's the downside to the Titan key vs Yubikey?

The cost of the Titan stuff is attractive, USB A and C for £30.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

With passkeys slowly becoming a thing is there much point in investing in physical security keys now?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Security Keys are still more secure.

Ideally, you would use a physical security key for MFA on your vault that stored your Passkeys.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I’m a bit confused by passkeys to be honest. I have limited success in setting them up and using them.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
This might be a stupid question, but is there any way to manually set accent/theme colors on Android 14? I have nearly every live wallpaper Sony has released over the years, but the system seems to be doing a poor job of suggesting accents. I typically only have either a light blue or gray accent option available. I managed to fool it into sticking with a peach-colored accent by choosing another wallpaper, setting the accent color to one of maybe a dozen options, and then setting it back to the gold X1V wallpaper, but it doesn't seem to work with the older ones (Loops, Bubbles, the one that looks like the PS3 default, and the PS4 default). It swaps the accent back to either light blue or gray.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I’m a bit confused by passkeys to be honest. I have limited success in setting them up and using them.

The tech is mature but the front end for them is a bit clunky still.

What it really boils down to is a private/public key pair to sign your authentication message. Website only has your public key so even if it was compromised, it's useless for login. Your private key is stored in your phones security enclave or password manager and use your device's authentication to access it.

By doing this, you are collapsing 2FA with your credentials into one step that is presented to you via a device authentication prompt.

Here's the rub.

Unless your site/service in question moved completely away from username/password combinations, you are still potentially vulnerable to a data breach that exposes your password. So, until we move completely beyond passwords, that benefit isn't that great. It would let you change your password into something super complex and uniqure on that that site since if you generally use passkeys to login, you wouldn't have to worry about handling that password. But if you have a password manager, you probably are already doing that.

Passkeys are a good thing and are future and everyone should eventually transition into them, but they aren't going to enhance the security posture greatly for someone that's already using a password manager and device based 2FA until you can disable password login on the service itself (some services DO allow this.)

Beyond that, it becomes a convenience thing to not have to enter a 2FA code during login, so there are benefits even if you use a password manager and device based 2FA by streamlining the login process.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have a yubikey c for backup/pc use and another C with nfc for mobile use, at the time I got mine I thought of getting titans but they were out of stock.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

The tech is mature but the front end for them is a bit clunky still.

What it really boils down to is a private/public key pair to sign your authentication message. Website only has your public key so even if it was compromised, it's useless for login. Your private key is stored in your phones security enclave or password manager and use your device's authentication to access it.

By doing this, you are collapsing 2FA with your credentials into one step that is presented to you via a device authentication prompt.

Here's the rub.

Unless your site/service in question moved completely away from username/password combinations, you are still potentially vulnerable to a data breach that exposes your password. So, until we move completely beyond passwords, that benefit isn't that great. It would let you change your password into something super complex and uniqure on that that site since if you generally use passkeys to login, you wouldn't have to worry about handling that password. But if you have a password manager, you probably are already doing that.

Passkeys are a good thing and are future and everyone should eventually transition into them, but they aren't going to enhance the security posture greatly for someone that's already using a password manager and device based 2FA until you can disable password login on the service itself (some services DO allow this.)

Beyond that, it becomes a convenience thing to not have to enter a 2FA code during login, so there are benefits even if you use a password manager and device based 2FA by streamlining the login process.

Thanks for this. What do you use? As I said I've started to attempt to setup passkeys but any site I've tried it with still asks for my password and 2FA code, so right now it's offering zero experience benefit.

I use Bitwarden and Authy. I'm still shocked that most sites in TYOOL 2024 don't offer TOTPs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's almost not worth it, I'm only doing it because it is the future and I figure having a process for it now will help me later.

And yes, some sites are dumb about it. Both Amazon and Paypal still require you to do 2FA even using passkeys which eliminates one of the convenience reasons for using them. Since both sites don't allow disabling of password altogether, passkeys really just become a fancy password.

I use Authy for my 2FA and 1Pasword for my password manager so I'm generally defaulting to 1Password for passkeys. The implementation is nice enough since it stores the passkey alongside the username/password combo so you don't have duplicate entries or anything. However, 1Password only works with chrome on desktops and can only serve up passkeys to Android apps right now, and not chrome for mobile. They say that support for mobile browsers are coming, but it's not there yet.

Other random stuff, Paypal doesn't work with 1Password as far as I can tell for passkeys, erroring out. It does work with devices itself and possibly browsers directly. Again though, without bypassing 2FA you aren't gaining much here. Linkedin is said to support it, but it doesn't seem to be enabled in my account. Twitter only supports them in iOS devices. CVS still seems to require to to login first with a username/password/2fa email before it will enable passkeys for a device even if you have them setup and synced. It still seems to use the same orignal passkey you setup, but you have to enroll your device to use a passkey. There's also no management of passkeys in your user account settings which seems like a vast oversight. I can't find a place to delete them or remove saved enrolled devices. Again, this is all front end stupidity.

Some good stuff is that that most places let you setup several passkeys so you could have them setup in more than one system for redundancy or ecosystem reasons and since the passwords can't be compromised, you don't have to worry about rotating them on all these different systems once you have them setup. So, what I've been doing is setting up the passkeys in 1password and then doing the same setup on one of my Android devices and saving it in Android's passkey storage that then syncs across devices (I have to temporarily disable 1Password on the device I'm doing that with otherwise it will try to intercept the creation of a passkey even though it doesn't support it in the browser yet). I may round up again on my iPad mini so I have a 3rd stored in the iCloud keychain.

All of this though means it fails at its primary mission, to make login more secure and easier for the person who doesn't understand all this crap. My 73 year old mom was recently prompted to create a passkey the last time she logged fresh into her Amazon account and didn't have any clue whatsoever what it was asking her to do and wasn't really expecting a prompt like that when she logged in. Sites are going to have to invest in enrollment processes that are a little more frictionless and with more education in order for the vast majority of people to understand and switch over.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 11, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I’m not sure if this was a fever dream or not, but did some Android oem announce a sidekick-like phone recently? Maybe at ces? It’s entirely possible my brain just decided that happened, or I saw some Asia-only device as well, but I’m not finding anything that looks like what I’m thinking of.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i don't really listen to podcasts much, but i went from google podcasts to spotify bc they include listening stats in their spotify wrapped at the end of the year and it's neat to see.

they do a decent enough job at separating the experience between music and podcasts, but it's hell scrolling through a list of show's episodes if you want to find anything in particular.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Spotify works if you're listening to a podcast that posts all of its episodes publicly, but if you want to use a Patreon RSS feed you'll need a different app. I've been using Podcast Republic. It's fine. I should check out the other apps suggested but :effort:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

BAD AT STUFF posted:

Spotify works if you're listening to a podcast that posts all of its episodes publicly

i literally didn't know any other kind existed. y'all on some grey web deep state hardcore podcasts. def gonna need something more robust than spotify

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Antennapod slaps rear end, the only feature it doesn't have (compared to Google Podcasts) seems to be syncing between devices, but there's also probably a solution with gpodder & a home server that I'm not nerdy enough to figure out.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Branch Nvidian posted:

I’m not sure if this was a fever dream or not, but did some Android oem announce a sidekick-like phone recently? Maybe at ces? It’s entirely possible my brain just decided that happened, or I saw some Asia-only device as well, but I’m not finding anything that looks like what I’m thinking of.

I believe you're thinking of the Ayaneo Slide.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I believe you're thinking of the Ayaneo Slide.

Ah, yeah I think that might be it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Finally sent my OnePlus 9 Pro back for the rebate... curious to see how it goes. If everything was perfect it was worth $430 CAD, but I definitely had one small hook scratch on the screen.

I don't think I have a single complaint about the 12. The battery life seemed peculiar the first day or two (judging from the percentage gauge which I know takes some time to calibrate) ... you'd expect more use and screen-on time but I was just busy. But the battery has been solid ever since and I'm typically at 60% by bed.

I have liked the previous camera tuning. I still haven't had a great reason to take serious photos with the camera. I will say it's pretty good at getting contrast out of our Christmas black kittens.

Nothing to object to with performance. I guess people have complained about other (OnePlus) phones getting warm, and I do remember that with my 9 sometimes... literally never felt the 12 heat up.

Gotten used to ColorOS and haven't used nude Android for a long time.

I do wish it didn't have a curved screen, but fwiw this one doesn't seem to have been as annoying as my 9 was on the curved edge.

My only peeve is that Slay the Spire is just busted on Android 14 and won't sync my data until Humble fixes it, since mid December. Playing Isle of Arrows and Shattered Pixel Dungeon when I need to be distracted.

Been streaming stuff from Xbox and PS5 to it and using a Backbone while in bed. That stuff is a tad fussy but otherwise works pretty well. (Both clients immediately lose the connection if you multitask to another app.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Forgot to apply cat tax. Tried to pick one where they have less contrast.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol... this shot looks good on my phone, but I need to figure out how to handle the HDR conversion/contrast when it's exported out of the phone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Someone on reddit that had been testing the Pixel 8 Pro, OnePlus 12, and S24 Ultra said that they liked the photos of the OnePlus better than the Samsung; they ranked it just below the Pixel. That seemed like high praise for the OP12. I've always felt my OP11 took very nice photos even if it was limited by a weak tele. Their cameras seem to be on point.

teethgrinder posted:

Lol... this shot looks good on my phone, but I need to figure out how to handle the HDR conversion/contrast when it's exported out of the phone.

We're now in this weird zone where the HDR pictures our phones take look amazing on our HDR OLED phone displays but then they're uploaded to a hosting site and viewed on probably a mediocre IPS computer screen...and the magic is lost.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

To your point, even the crushed export looks alright looking at this thread on the Awful app on my phone. It looked terrible on my bad Dell HDR400 monitor.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm annoyed that there are three different HDR picture formats for Android phones.

I still rank the P8P at the top of the list, I'm still not enamored with the S24U output. It can be good, but it still struggles with motion.

I will say though that I'm at week 2+ of using the S24U and.....I like it?

Honestly, the flat screen and actually functional ultrasonic fingerprint sensor has made all the difference and the reduced glare on the screen is no joke as well. I still miss Pixel features like call screening though.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 13, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I came across Windows Defender while in the Play Store. I hadn't even know there was a mobile version, actually.

So now I'm wondering two things: 1) Is there any real point of an antivirus program on Android when you run all the default safety features in that unrooted OS? 2) What free or near-free AV would you recommend?

[Sorry for posting this in both of the threads here but I wonder if there would be different responses and I just want to be over and done with this.]

Thanks!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have an old device (Nexus 5X) I’d like to use as basically an iPad touch on flights and such. The problem is the version of android it has (8.1 I think) runs awfully slow now, like a 2 second delay to bring up the keyboard in a text box. Is there a way to put Android Go or any other super stripped down version of the OS on an old device? I don’t mind rooting it. I just want to use it for ebooks and VLC, etc.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Just converted to Android (Pixel 8 Pro).

Oh boy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DeusIgnis posted:

Just converted to Android (Pixel 8 Pro).

Oh boy.

is this a good "oh boy" or a bad "oh boy"?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

and what was the motivation out of curiosity?

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

is this a good "oh boy" or a bad "oh boy"?

It's more good than bad. I had a horrible Apple experience regarding an iPhone replacement (essentially, their replacement *couldn't be defective* and thus it was my fault that the phone wouldn't activate). All my good friends and SO use a Pixel so it was a nice seamless transition. I don't mind switching, honestly. It's just that I've been an iOS user for many years; it's going to get a bit getting used to.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

If anything about the software bothers you, do mention it and chances are there's a fix or mitigation. No Apple keyboard though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

teethgrinder posted:

No Apple keyboard though.

Well, that's a pro (god the iOS keyboard is dreadful as is it's autocorrect.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah I hate it too, but someone switching might be used to it.

I'm actually just on plain Google Keyboard now and very happy with it. SwiftKey never quite felt right, and GBoard seems to have improved from whatever bugged me about it in the past. A main reason I originally chose Android over iOS was Swype.