Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Seppo is a Ausification of Septic which is short for Septic Tank which is Cockney rhyming slang for Yank (because they're full of poo poo)

This isn't complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Yeah, everyone in Europe knows that term. This is just another case of native English speakers being worse at their own language.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Appalachians coming through

Dishonorable mention for the Carolinas

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Appalachians coming through

Dishonorable mention for the Carolinas

Basically areas with slaves and areas with mountains

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah. Example #6,789 of politically-loaded maps determined by geological processes from millions of years ago.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Muscle Tracer posted:

I know Louisiana has a lot of swamp but calling it "Plaguemine" seems a little on the nose.

Fun fact: “plaquemine” comes from an indigenous word for persimmon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In 2024, every area in the South that voted against secession, even the places that were savaged by irregulars, even those that sent men to fight for the Union, are proud of their Confederate heritage

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In 2024, every area in the South that voted against secession, even the places that were savaged by irregulars, even those that sent men to fight for the Union, are proud of their Confederate heritage

You don't know any Black Southerners do you?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Don't know if you're misinterpreting his post, but presumably barely any black Southerners were allowed to vote in 1860, and most of those counties that voted against secession probably have low black populations even today.

I wonder if it's actually true or just :goonsay:, though. Do these areas like East Tennessee have Confederate flags all over the place? If so, that would be sad.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

OwlFancier posted:

It's a derivation of cockney rhyming slang which itself is quite uncommon. Historically I think it probably would have been "septic" in the UK.

"Separatist" seems a likelier derivation.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

quote:

VVV: So is it just one of those ironic things that is only used by edgelords on the Internet, like "Usian" instead of "American"?

It’s 100% this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Muscle Tracer posted:

"Separatist" seems a likelier derivation.

But that doesn't rhyme with Yank. Cockney rhyming slang is loving stupid as hell and anyone who uses it is a dumb person, but it does have rules.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Phlegmish posted:

Don't know if you're misinterpreting his post, but presumably barely any black Southerners were allowed to vote in 1860, and most of those counties that voted against secession probably have low black populations even today.

I wonder if it's actually true or just :goonsay:, though. Do these areas like East Tennessee have Confederate flags all over the place? If so, that would be sad.

They do

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

my high school was named after the founder of the kkk

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

In 2024 you can find confederate flags in rural areas of Union states so in Tennessee yeah they definitely do

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

You'll find them all over New Hampshire and upstate New York.

It is pretty sad.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
I came across one in the wild in backwoods rural-rear end Quebec, it just means you hate the blacks now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Eiba posted:

It is pretty sad.

Agreed. Even if you don't care about the slavery angle, which you should, it would ideally still be a point of pride to remain loyal to your country, rather than betraying it. I love that Burnin' Sherman gang tag for that reason.

Although we shouldn't be too quick to judge from Europe. I haven't done an extensive study on this, but it feels accurate to say that until fairly recently, the Confederate flag was treated as just another piece of Americana over here, Dukes of Hazzard style.
[puffing on pipe] Gather 'round, I have yet another anecdote to tell. In 2009 or so, at a house party, the host (whom I barely knew) showed a few of us around in her bedroom for whatever reason. I noticed she had a giant Confederate flag hanging on her wall and said something about it, I don't remember what. She got somewhat defensive and explained that she hadn't been aware of its negative connotations when she put it up. Which begs the question of why she wouldn't just take it down, but whatever, I don't think I saw that person ever again after that night.

I do think that in the past decade or so, more people here have become aware that it's not just a 'neutral' American symbol. It's been a long time since I saw a Confederate flag in the wild.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Badger of Basra posted:

In 2024 you can find confederate flags in rural areas of Union states so in Tennessee yeah they definitely do

I went camping at Priest Lake Idaho with friends last summer (beautiful, highly recommend it) and literally the first thing I saw after the Welcome to Idaho sign when we crossed the state border was a flea market that included the a tent that was a giant confederate flag.

Idaho wasn't even a loving state in 1860.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phlegmish posted:

Although we shouldn't be too quick to judge from Europe. I haven't done an extensive study on this, but it feels accurate to say that until fairly recently, the Confederate flag was treated as just another piece of Americana over here, Dukes of Hazzard style.
[puffing on pipe]

Noticed a lot of Confederate flags where there were farmer protest signs, last summer in Benelux. A lot more than I remembering seeing in the past.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

There's a big historical aircraft association which got started in the 1950s and has a large presence on the airshow circuit, since they own the world's largest collection of warbirds. It was originally named the Confederate Air Force, purely as an in-joke among the (then largely southern) members. About 20 years ago they got sick of the misunderstandings about what they actually stood for, and changed their name to the Commemorative Air Force. Good on them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

There's a big historical aircraft association which got started in the 1950s and has a large presence on the airshow circuit, since they own the world's largest collection of warbirds. It was originally named the Confederate Air Force, purely as an in-joke among the (then largely southern) members. About 20 years ago they got sick of the misunderstandings about what they actually stood for, and changed their name to the Commemorative Air Force. Good on them.

If they changed the name 20 years ago that means they were stilled called the Confederate Air Force into the 21st century.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Agreed. Even if you don't care about the slavery angle, which you should, it would ideally still be a point of pride to remain loyal to your country, rather than betraying it. I love that Burnin' Sherman gang tag for that reason.

The South's country was the Confederacy. Fighting a war for independence, even a losing one, forged a national identity that is only recently getting demolished as people reject it for the slavery angle (as they should).

Air Skwirl posted:

If they changed the name 20 years ago that means they were stilled called the Confederate Air Force into the 21st century.

They changed the name in 2000, so still technically the 20th.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Byzantine posted:

They changed the name in 2000, so still technically the 20th.

Everybody celebrating on January 1st, 2000 is going to be shocked to learn that actually that was still the 20th century.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Byzantine posted:

The South's country was the Confederacy. Fighting a war for independence, even a losing one, forged a national identity that is only recently getting demolished as people reject it for the slavery angle (as they should).

We really should have executed a bunch of Southerners after the Civil War. Not like rank and file men, but the generals at least, and most of the major plantation owners.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine posted:

Shut up, Ottoman.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

We really should have executed a bunch of Southerners after the Civil War. Not like rank and file men, but the generals at least, and most of the major plantation owners.

Yeah, no argument from me. Letting the entire plantation class and the generals and the politicians just go back to work like nothing happened was one of the greatest mistakes in history, given that they now control the most powerful country to ever exist.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The 21st century started on 9/11

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There wasn't really much buy-in at all to the idea of the confederacy as people's new national identity. A lot of the people who fought for the confederacy did it as more loyal to their local state identity rather than to the weird new thing, even among the ruling classes who facilitated the secession and composed the new government. That led to the overall management of the confederacy being like herding cats.

There was also a significant amount of farce and fraud in the secession votes, but I don't really all the details. It was messy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The 21st century started on 9/11

I genuinely believe that. Also the 90s didn't start until Nirvana released Nevermind.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

I genuinely believe that. Also the 90s didn't start until Nirvana released Nevermind.

"Nevermind was the 9/11 of the 90s."-- Air Skwirl

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

Every decade starts with a culturally impactful event, some of them are awesome, some of them are terrible.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Air Skwirl posted:

Every decade starts with a culturally impactful event, some of them are awesome, some of them are terrible.

What was the 2010s event, do you figure?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Petanque posted:

What was the 2010s event, do you figure?

Obama's election, even though that happened in 2008. Or the housing collapse, which also happened in 2008.

2020s started with Covid.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

COVID, the subprime mortgage crisis, 9/11, and Nevermind.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 14, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Everybody celebrating on January 1st, 2000 is going to be shocked to learn that actually that was still the 20th century.

This was an argument that a lot of snotty know-it-all assholes online* picked at the time. Nobody gave a poo poo then either.

*Including me at 19. Yeesh.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Year 0 exists they can't hide the truth forever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Air Skwirl posted:

agreed. also long/short centuries are a real thing in historiography, eg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_eighteenth_century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Ditocoaf posted:

img-nikki-sixx-jumping-from-towers.jpg