Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

th3t00t posted:

I'm that goon.

I recognized the actor from Boardwalk Empire, where he had been in 9 episodes. I didn't think HBO would cast him just to be in one scene on a lawnmower for 30 seconds after coming off a much larger role in Boardwalk.

I did not check IMDB for the cast episode ahead of time or anything like that.

I had a hunch, shared it, and it turned out to be right. And it has lived on in TVIV infamy ever since.

My bad, twas a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tender Bender posted:

Any building someone is going to spend any amount of time inside north of the Arctic circle is going to have some kind of heating situation even if it's just a space heater you turn on periodically.

I'm really not interested in continuing a feud with you, but if you'd like to interpret a mention of "people not paying attention to the show they're watching" as digs at yourself there's nothing I can do about that.

That is what I meant. I also think people who have lived in alaska all their life have these basics figured out and it doesn't need to be explained in detail to the viewer. The assumption is that wonder boy is going to survive the night sleeping in the loser shed.

The entire point to the scene was "gently caress this shack sucks, why am I sitting in a lovely lawn chair instead of being at home?".

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
They could have put in a throwaway line of Hawkes handing him a space heater but I've never seen a heated shed ever in cold climate areas I didn't even know people would waste time on that, it's a shed.

Still a minor problem but indicative of the writing as a whole.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Maybe Danvers, the murderer this season, tried to kill prior by hypothermia to confirm her hypothesis that hypothermia doesn't cause the burning corneas the scientists had.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Maybe, and hear me out guys, the shed has a heater but he didn't turn it on. That way, it is not only typical of a shed built in the region, but still allows for Leonardo DeCaprio Hair to be cold.

Maybe he doesn't even feel cold, since he's from Alaska, and hasn't looked for the space heater to turn it on.

Maybe it's a dumb thing to even argue about

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Nobody lives in Alaska without having a few portable space heaters around. I don't actually need to physically see a space heater and watch a character plug it in and turn on to believe that there might be one around. I guess others do. Are people sometimes confused when characters just show up in other locations on a show? They didn't show any sort of car or transportation, we never saw them drive there, yet this person is suddenly several miles away from where we last saw them! I hope someone got fired for that gaping plot hole!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I fully admit that I was distracted during the first few minutes of the last ep but did anyone else find the complete lack of transition from them being at that site with Navarro having blood dripping out of her ears to them being back in town with no resolution to that scene quite jarring? I thought I had missed an episode in between the two?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I was all for the spiral being the connecting fabric to season 1 but they undid that AND its not “older than the ice”

Just Tuttle references and Rusts dad for no reason.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I fully admit that I was distracted during the first few minutes of the last ep but did anyone else find the complete lack of transition from them being at that site with Navarro having blood dripping out of her ears to them being back in town with no resolution to that scene quite jarring? I thought I had missed an episode in between the two?

yeah the bleeding ears thing seems to have just been dropped. there was a multi day time-skip as well iirc, though I don't feel like downloading episode 4 to see what date it was set at, I am pretty sure they skipped a few days to bring us to new years' eve for episode 5

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

when they bust into the ice caves they will be amazed to find them full of space heaters

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Navarro: Why did they walk out naked

Danvers: Wrong question

Navarro: were they scar-

Danvers: Wrong Question

Navarro: ... where was the space heater.

*danvers nods*

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The space heaters…there’s signatures all over them

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
*Goldfinger theme*

SPACE HEATERS

THEY HEAT THE SPACE

THE SPACE IS THE THING THEY HEAT

SPACE HEAT ERS

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

*metal gear solid 3 theme*

I'm still in the shed, space heater!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wendigo in the ice cave, space heater cranked up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

my bony fealty posted:

Wendigo in the ice cave, space heater cranked up.

Is THIS the Anthony Hopkins cameo?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

th3t00t posted:

I'm that goon.

I recognized the actor from Boardwalk Empire, where he had been in 9 episodes. I didn't think HBO would cast him just to be in one scene on a lawnmower for 30 seconds after coming off a much larger role in Boardwalk.

I did not check IMDB for the cast episode ahead of time or anything like that.

I had a hunch, shared it, and it turned out to be right. And it has lived on in TVIV infamy ever since.

I thought the same thing in The Last of Us when the opening scene had Chris Heyerdahl as one of the interview subjects on that 60s talk show. He's not a huge star or anything but he had big roles in Hell on Wheels and Peacemaker, so I was convinced he would be a bigger part of the season later on because surely HBO wouldn't hire this guy to sit there and not say anything for the whole scene.

I was wrong, that's exactly what HBO did.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Haters going to hate

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/true-detective-night-country-ratings-series-highs-1235823863/amp/

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
The space heaters are the people Danvers hosed along the way

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

koolkal posted:

The space heaters are the people Danvers hosed along the way

:pusheen:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Honestly, cool. If you're going to do a mid crime mystery show give us more ones that swing for a setting like Alaska and does weird poo poo with polar bears over a generic one set in Chicago.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, but there are also more people overall on earth now than there were 10 years ago. And there must be many other good explanations for these numbers that are not just "it's actually not that bad".

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, but there are also more people overall on earth now than there were 10 years ago. And there must be many other good explanations for these numbers that are not just "it's actually not that bad".

every other TV show is even worse

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

every other TV show is even worse

We had much better TV in 2014 for sure

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Honestly, cool. If you're going to do a mid crime mystery show give us more ones that swing for a setting like Alaska and does weird poo poo with polar bears over a generic one set in Chicago.

Dang what did Chicago ever do to you?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

*metal gear solid 3 theme*

I'm still in the shed, space heater!

Thank you for making this joke for me before I could get around to making a worse version.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ruddiger posted:

Dang what did Chicago ever do to you?

Not make 25 or 6 to 4 at least a couple minutes longer

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Any crime story set in Chicago where the police didn't end up being the killers is frankly more out there than Night Country

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I can't believe they had a character straight up go "you're in the night country now"

then we find out that the caves are night country so they're not actually in it??

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Monica Bellucci posted:

*Goldfinger theme*

Here in your spare shack, I can turn my space heater off
The less that I feel, is the less that I'm a cop
I wonder what you think as the polar bear eats your head
I don't know to think, but ask me again I'll shoot you dead

When I'm discovered tomorrow, will you still feel the same?
When I'm discovered tomorrow, would you have changed?
'Cause the plot's still unexplained,
'Cause the plot's still unexplained,
I, the plot's still unexplained

1, 2!!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

I can't believe they had a character straight up go "you're in the night country now"

then we find out that the caves are night country so they're not actually in it??

Really wishing there was an interview scene in season one where Marty says, “Me ‘n him don’t get along real well no more, but Rust Cohle’s a true detective, I tell you that much.”

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Despite problems I have, I don't mind that this show is outperforming. It's February, after all.

Also, this should be great for a promising young director's career, doing Yellowstone type ratings despite executive meddling. It's only too bad that some jagoff will get kudos for a bunch of inane notes including "can we tie S1 Rust to this hermit ghost?" "How about a spiral, like from S1? for our legacy viewers?"; "name drop Tuttle!"; and "Iraq was topical in Barry"

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 14, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Issa Lopez is 52 does that count as young?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It could be great if True Detective became a true anthology where every year some promising writer/director was given 8 episodes to do some kind of pulp mystery with a few random big-name actors.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
We're gonna be hella pissed when True Detective: Sahara doesn't have an air conditioner in the shed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I AM GRANDO posted:

It could be great if True Detective became a true anthology where every year some promising writer/director was given 8 episodes to do some kind of pulp mystery with a few random big-name actors.

Make that Executive Producers list in the opening credits even longer! :sickos:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I think the most important lesson from this show is that everyone should stay the gently caress out of Alaska.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Also someone leaked the reveal of the creature in the ice cave. Spoiler don't click if you don't wanna be spoiled: https://youtu.be/5Y1ItZDV3gc?si=fsBGARurdD1z-s-R

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting

my bony fealty posted:

Issa Lopez is 52 does that count as young?

Aha haha, wrong choice of words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
Double post