Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Butterfly Valley posted:

with the button thing i just find it really hard to understand how it's easier to deal with remapping buttons and then having visual button prompts in game be thrown out of sync with reality rather than just dealing with the fact that the button placement is different.

lack of neuroplasticity as your brain gets old.
old thing: familiar, comfortable, good
new thing: confusing, irritating, bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats an excuse

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really needs to be a Mario and Luigi game where they're piloting a giant robot Pacific Rim style.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We already had Bowser's Inside Story.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

kecske posted:

Cope

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
challenge yourself to change up button layouts and keep your brain young. dont let the alzheimers win

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i pick a different control scheme every time i replay something, game permitting

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
*38-year-old Man* “Please do NOT ask me to look at the button on the TV and press the corresponding button on the controller! It is a medical issue!”

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm older than everyone here and still remember what button does what

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

with the button thing i just find it really hard to understand how it's easier to deal with remapping buttons and then having visual button prompts in game be thrown out of sync with reality rather than just dealing with the fact that the button placement is different.
feel like games should endeavor to both allow for remapping but also to make on-screen prompts match whatever the button is mapped to.

In fact, that just seems like a good design practice so you don't need to redo stuff should something change along the development cycle. It seems pretty standard in games to be able to detect what controller you are using and swap prompts around.

I'm sure there's the occasional limitation, like how xinput tends to just pretend whatever you got plugged in is an xbox controller.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Sorry to ask again, but I'd like to hear more goon opinions on Blasphemous 2. Is it as good as the original, does it have contentious stuff or is it just what I heard that it lost a bit of symbolism that was the charm of the original?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

*38-year-old Man* “Please do NOT ask me to look at the button on the TV and press the corresponding button on the controller! It is a medical issue!”

Frasier: "What was it like in the old days when you actually had to get up to change the channel?"

Martin: "It was hell!"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Sorry to ask again, but I'd like to hear more goon opinions on Blasphemous 2. Is it as good as the original, does it have contentious stuff or is it just what I heard that it lost a bit of symbolism that was the charm of the original?

It plays better than the first but lacks some of the imaginative insanity of the visuals and a lot of the bosses go for more of a Megaman style 'you but with different powers' vibe rather than the horrors of the original. It's still pretty good though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

We should remap the quote and reply button in this thread to logout

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

that's the last time I do an earnest reply!!
*does slow double click on post button*

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I only use the on screen keyboard so I can practice my mouse aiming skills at all times.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

kecske posted:

As long as you don't have an actual, medical brain condition, drinking enough water, having a decent enough nutrition and some basic level of activity prevents all of that.

Live healthier, not stupider

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Sakurazuka posted:

It plays better than the first but lacks some of the imaginative insanity of the visuals and a lot of the bosses go for more of a Megaman style 'you but with different powers' vibe rather than the horrors of the original. It's still pretty good though.

Man, on some level that does suck. Melequiades is peak boss design. That said bosses being more similar to the Penitent One does not sound so bad, Crisanta was like this on 1 and her boss fight was cool. Also I'm willing to make sacrifices if in exchange stairs are less finicky and spikes are easier to navigate (gently caress Miriam's challenges).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blasphemous 2 is mechanically a better game but the tone and atmosphere take a huge hit in comparison which hurts it a lot more than most games because that is what the game thrived on. It just feels way more generic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it was still really fun and that#s all that matters

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Libluini posted:

As long as you don't have an actual, medical brain condition

(buzzer sound)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
my brain condition is that I love nintendo switch games!

also anxiety and depression

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

As other people have said, the only real way it suffers compared to the original is that it doesn't carry the same thematic oomph. I think that was almost inevitable, though, and would argue the only true failing is the decision to switch away from pixel cutscenes to full animated cutscenes.

The symbolism is just as prevalent in the sequel as it is with the original, but it isn't Lazer focused around the themes of the inquisition in Seville and incorporates a lot of different elements of Catholocism throughout. For example, in one area you'll control what is are accessible by hitting switches that fill or empty a glass confessional booth with an occupant trapped inside with sand. Another area will be filled with silk and gold cocoons with enemies that burst out like insects. The imagery and themes are there, but they don't leave as much of an impression since this is a sequel and they are doing something a bit different than doubling down on torture.

It's a visually gorgeous game that plays extremely well and hits a lot of different notes. There isn't anything quite as shocking as the first time you got a health increase in the original, but it's still a top notch game just from a playability perspective.

Oh, and take the help on the bosses this time. They kind of flipped the script on how that works for the sequel.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

my brain condition is that I love nintendo switch games!

also anxiety and depression
Performance enhancing cordyceps

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really needs to be a Mario and Luigi game where they're piloting a giant robot Pacific Rim style.

You could probably do that with a mod for Earth Defense Force :D

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bifner McDoogle posted:

As other people have said, the only real way it suffers compared to the original is that it doesn't carry the same thematic oomph. I think that was almost inevitable, though, and would argue the only true failing is the decision to switch away from pixel cutscenes to full animated cutscenes.

The symbolism is just as prevalent in the sequel as it is with the original, but it isn't Lazer focused around the themes of the inquisition in Seville and incorporates a lot of different elements of Catholocism throughout. For example, in one area you'll control what is are accessible by hitting switches that fill or empty a glass confessional booth with an occupant trapped inside with sand. Another area will be filled with silk and gold cocoons with enemies that burst out like insects. The imagery and themes are there, but they don't leave as much of an impression since this is a sequel and they are doing something a bit different than doubling down on torture.

It's a visually gorgeous game that plays extremely well and hits a lot of different notes. There isn't anything quite as shocking as the first time you got a health increase in the original, but it's still a top notch game just from a playability perspective.

Oh, and take the help on the bosses this time. They kind of flipped the script on how that works for the sequel.

Thanks for the detailed review! Honestly as long as it keeps the vibe around Catholicism but Dark Souls about it it's fine if it's less gruesome. Also would make some sense given how 1 ended. That said they should have taken moe cues from Melequiades. You can be both deeply symbolic AND funny at the same time.

Also curious about that last remark. Cause in Blasphemous taking the help IS the optimal path, you get the prayer at the 3rd boss rather than before the last boss. Although you get an arguably happier ending for Viridiana for not taking it.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Thanks for the detailed review! Honestly as long as it keeps the vibe around Catholicism but Dark Souls about it it's fine if it's less gruesome. Also would make some sense given how 1 ended. That said they should have taken moe cues from Melequiades. You can be both deeply symbolic AND funny at the same time.

Also curious about that last remark. Cause in Blasphemous taking the help IS the optimal path, you get the prayer at the 3rd boss rather than before the last boss. Although you get an arguably happier ending for Viridiana for not taking it.

Taking help in the sequel is more satisfying from a narrative and gameplay perspective basically. Getting help from Viridiana does fulfill her arc and her goals, so it isn’t necessarily a bad ending though a lot of people felt that way, myself included.. I should also mention that I'm still working my way through the game, and while all the bosses are excellent to fight, none have been as funny as Melquiades, though if you find skeletons funny like I do he's pretty tough to beat.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Taking help in the sequel is more satisfying from a narrative and gameplay perspective basically. Getting help from Viridiana does fulfill her arc and her goals, so it isn’t necessarily a bad ending though a lot of people felt that way, myself included.. I should also mention that I'm still working my way through the game, and while all the bosses are excellent to fight, none have been as funny as Melquiades, though if you find skeletons funny like I do he's pretty tough to beat.

Eh, while she does feel satisfied, the DLC ending makes it clear any "blessings" from the Miracle are meant to make people suffer for the sake of those up high. It's bittersweet cause she does want to help you and devote herself to her cause but letting her live feels better for me.

Also I love Melequiades not only because funny skeleton man, but because he's real good satire of how people will sometimes overexaltate the dead to the point of parading them as an idol. Without the hands pulling it up Melequiades is a sitting duck.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Wintendo

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s true

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

me, a fool and dullard: Proof?
Wise Master: *gestures around*
me, now enlightened: It's true...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've been sharing Splatoon 3 off of a single digital copy by having my daughter play on the primary console while I play a switch lite that's logged in as me. If I buy the DLC, will both consoles be able to access the DLC, or do other users on the primary console not get access to DLC that the main user purchased?

I'm trying to figure out if playing the Splatoon 3 DLC with my kid will cost me $25 or $110 (85+25).

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Twerk from Home posted:

I've been sharing Splatoon 3 off of a single digital copy by having my daughter play on the primary console while I play a switch lite that's logged in as me. If I buy the DLC, will both consoles be able to access the DLC, or do other users on the primary console not get access to DLC that the main user purchased?

I'm trying to figure out if playing the Splatoon 3 DLC with my kid will cost me $25 or $110 (85+25).

I do this with Pokemon Scarlet/Violet on my partners Switch and the DLC did not transfer over

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Button placement between different platforms doesn’t bother me but it does bug me how the other platforms use the lower face button for confirm and the right one as back in menus.

One of my favorite jailbroken features, when I had a hacked PS3, was a global setting to change it to the Japanese/Nintendo way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yw5Xn-2FiE
Apparently this collection is good, even on Switch. I never played these games back in the day but the way the guy describes them at the end of the video makes me want to try them.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yw5Xn-2FiE
Apparently this collection is good, even on Switch. I never played these games back in the day but the way the guy describes them at the end of the video makes me want to try them.

they're extremely good games OP

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
The movie not so much, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh TR1 is good (for the time) 2&3 are 'what if we made the same game again but more miserable and confusing maps each time'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think TR2 is better than TR1. TR3 is where I felt it got a bit "eeeh."

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh TR1 is good (for the time) 2&3 are 'what if we made the same game again but more miserable and confusing maps each time'.

Nah 2 is a cool progression from 1 with mostly interestingly expanded mechanics and varied settings, 3 definitely has a bunch of bullshit though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yoshi’s loving Island