Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

I kinda want to do a gimmick themed race playthrough now. I thought about doing one based on the High Life meme but I dunno how a constantly high colony would be able to get most things done with the hit to consciousness. But hey maybe that'd be the fun of the challenge? :shrug:

As someone who did a hedonist playthrough, the secret is to have robots do all the work while your colonists live the rock star life of sex drugs and rock & roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
or just, yknow, accept that you won't be super hyper productive maaaaan it's all really just relative maaaaaaaaaan

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
anything i should keep in mind if i choose to install vanilla food expanded, vanilla plants expanded, vanilla animals expanded and vanilla furniture expanded?

looking through the different mods those are the parts of the game i wish had more variety

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Your Computer posted:

anything i should keep in mind if i choose to install vanilla food expanded, vanilla plants expanded, vanilla animals expanded and vanilla furniture expanded?

looking through the different mods those are the parts of the game i wish had more variety
In the base game the variety that there is, especially in crops, exists to let you balance your considerations in a clear and simple way. Time, labor, fertility- there are optimal choices depending on what your situation demands that are pretty easy to understand.

Vanilla Expanded does not care- it adds a bunch of noise and sub-optimal choices that have no coherent gameplay reasons, just more stuff for the sake of more stuff, rather than any sort of gameplay niche.

But it is fun to grow a variety of tasty foods so knock yourself out if you think that's gonna feel nice!

Same for the other Vanilla Expanded stuff. You seem to like making a nice looking cozy base, so by all means, do it up. Just know your options become confusing and largely arbitrary from a gameplay perspective with all the Vanilla Expanded bloat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

vanilla animals expanded does not include additional dog types. spidercamp's dogs, however, allows your colony to venerate the noble Borzoi

moot the hopple posted:

I kinda want to do a gimmick themed race playthrough now. I thought about doing one based on the High Life meme but I dunno how a constantly high colony would be able to get most things done with the hit to consciousness. But hey maybe that'd be the fun of the challenge? :shrug:

use psychite dependency genes and get high on yayo/flake/tea

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

In the base game the variety that there is, especially in crops, exists to let you balance your considerations in a clear and simple way. Time, labor, fertility- there are optimal choices depending on what your situation demands that are pretty easy to understand.

Vanilla Expanded does not care- it adds a bunch of noise and sub-optimal choices that have no coherent gameplay reasons, just more stuff for the sake of more stuff, rather than any sort of gameplay niche.

But it is fun to grow a variety of tasty foods so knock yourself out if you think that's gonna feel nice!

Same for the other Vanilla Expanded stuff. You seem to like making a nice looking cozy base, so by all means, do it up. Just know your options become confusing and largely arbitrary from a gameplay perspective with all the Vanilla Expanded bloat.
it sounds like you understand me and i appreciate that :kimchi:

i know y'all have much greater knowledge of the pros/cons of the various mods so i figured i'd ask in case there's some unexpected problem i might run into but this sounds very much like the expected scenario

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
You might like this. I'm trying it on my next run

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2102143149

VE props. They don't do anything mechanically but it adds like 400 cosmetic items to make things look nice.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

speaking of dumb gimmicks, I like the whole pollution gimmick so much I'm leaning into it even more:
I made a custom race of basically Warhammer Skavens, small and ratlike and hardy and really terrible at everything, they thrive on eating garbage

Yes yes, this goon-thing has been touched by the Horned Rat!

That reminds me, has anyone tried Rimhammer - The End Times - Skaven? I absolutely adore the idea of a bunch of skaven in power armour pouring out of a sky ranger and abducting peasants.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

moot the hopple posted:

Psychite tea is trivial to make, extremely beneficial, won't blow out your heart/kidneys/brain with regular use, and satisfies the high life need.

When I play high life I usually use psychite tea for the normal maintenance and just have a bunch of rituals I'll do periodically where everyone gets stoned off an autobong to satisfy the stoner roleplay.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If you’re going to do High Life pair it with Transhumanist so the chrome and synth organs compensate for the speed and work penalties from being on a mandatory 3 joints and beers a day. Also faster-sleep machines allow pawns to spend more time high instead of asleep.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

New synth organ: Reverse Detox Kidney. This replacement organ filters out contaminants from the blood much more slowly than normal, causing all intoxicant effects to last +50% longer.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Retox kidneys?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If a pawn has natural weapons (power claws, elbow blades, etc), will it use those in addition to its attacks with a melee weapon? And if so, does that end up actually being beneficial, or is it like how some weapons have a pommel attack or what-have-you that actually worsens their DPS because it "wastes" attacks on the weaker weapon when it could be swinging with a persona monosword?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

They go into the possibility table for melee attacks and it depends on their equipped melee weapon whether they help or not.

Bionic talons or whatever aren’t going to be helpful on a melee god (unless that pawn gets disarmed then they’ll be way better than just fists depending on chrome level). Basically they seem to be for vanilla functionality where pawns can’t carry a sidearm, so if you’ve got a shooter their options in melee are buttstrokes or ditching their gun for fists. Instead you can use a knee claw or what have you.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

LonsomeSon posted:

They go into the possibility table for melee attacks and it depends on their equipped melee weapon whether they help or not.

Bionic talons or whatever aren’t going to be helpful on a melee god (unless that pawn gets disarmed then they’ll be way better than just fists depending on chrome level). Basically they seem to be for vanilla functionality where pawns can’t carry a sidearm, so if you’ve got a shooter their options in melee are buttstrokes or ditching their gun for fists. Instead you can use a knee claw or what have you.

Gotcha, so actively harmful on a serious melee pawn, that's too bad. Although now I kind of want to optimize a natural weapons xenotype and see what that looks like.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

melee is neat and very strong all the way until the raid scale goes bananas and you get 5:1 odds

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I always like to have relatives show up at the start of a naked brutality run. My guy Per crashlanded naked on a planet and started foraging for berries and then what do you know? His MOTHER shows up as part of a bulk goods caravan.

Despite the fact he's her son and naked, starving, and without medicine, mom gave no fucks. Didn't even leave a gift when she left, "Good luck son! Hope you grow a field of cotton soon so you can make your own clothes by hand!"

>mom adjusts flak jacket, flak pants, checks safety on assault rifle<
>son stands naked with berry juice on his chin<

"Well we don't want to bother you so see you around, Per!"

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm a few years into my latest colony and I have the mod "Sometimes Raids Go Wrong". Some of the things I've seen when raids happen.

- Direct meteorite impact
- raiders are drunk
- raiders age 100 years
- mechanoids landing on the raiders
- drop pods land catastrophically

I might turn it off, it seems like it's triggering every other raid and I'm building up a ring of meteorites around the edge of my map.

Also I'm suddenly at the point where pirate raids spawn with multiple doomsday rocket launchers, which is a terrible surprise. The way I found out was that a raid happened when I had a caravan hanging out outside the colony. Raid showed up, instantly nukes the caravan. Thank you for your service, random caravan. I managed to save 1 of them, and all their silver.

It's been a while since I played (I don't have the last 2 DLCs yet) and it seems like psychic lances have a much shorter range than they used to, and now care about line of sight, have they always been like that? It has made dealing with doomsday rockets a little trickier, now I need to identify them ASAP and send out snipers to pick them off.

Also how do the rocket barrage turrets work? Is that original circle their range, or their dead zone? I read that they can't shoot over walls, but can they shoot over pawns or barricades, or do they need to be on the front line?

A Moose fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 12, 2024

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just had my colony explode from 3 people to 7 in just a couple of days

first of all i finally recruited the TOXIN CHOKER raider kyou to my gang and with her we started a belated new year's celebration. the yeti and her wife are still in jail at this point but a shaman caravan decided to join in and eat their pemmican while we burned the bad flag to usher in the good times

the feast was so successful that a random child with a gun and a menacing aura decided to up and join on the spot. her name is hammer and she's tough as nails

right after this happened i managed to recruit the yeti lady and i immediately put her to work recruiting her own wife

i'm in dire need of restructuring my base now but thankfully i already began the work - a new farm plot is being tilled on the other side of the river and i'm thinking of giving up my hydroponics experiment for now, which will let me convert that to a new bedroom. i need more food a much bigger freezer to feed all these people so i'm thinking of reclaiming the land taken up by the bunnies for more rooms as well

speaking of the bunnies, shoen is tremendously gifted at animal training and desperately wants to tame all of the bunnies. the only problem is that i now have 53 of them now. they are multiplying at an exponential rate, though for now the pen can still feed all of them. perhaps getting shoen was the kick in the butt my settlement needed and we can begin turning the bunnies into burgers to feed all my new recruits while shoen uses her animal skills to tame some proper livestock

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LonsomeSon posted:

If you’re going to do High Life pair it with Transhumanist so the chrome and synth organs compensate for the speed and work penalties from being on a mandatory 3 joints and beers a day. Also faster-sleep machines allow pawns to spend more time high instead of asleep.

I learned this too late after all my colonies spiraled into pawns ripping joints four times a day. Weed is an insidious killer and Tynan put in weed withdrawal death for some unknown reason.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Gas Vents, so I can fill my hallways and rooms with the lovely green stink

It turns out this does have an ingame fuel consumption adjustment and is just perfect, and being maintained (the other mod is not being maintained further)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

we had an 11k manhunter pack of maddened elephants, but even they succumbed to our lovely green stink

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Thought for half a second you meant eleven thousand elephants and had a massive PTSD flashback to Boatmurdered before realizing that couldn't possibly be correct

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Thought for half a second you meant eleven thousand elephants and had a massive PTSD flashback to Boatmurdered before realizing that couldn't possibly be correct

Same lol

What mod shows the threat points like that?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it came out to 42, thankfully I had 6 mortars stolen from earlier siegers and a large supply of tox shells :toxx:

Visible Raid Points so you can see just how insanely huge raids can scale to and why
e: supposedly the cap is 10k but no, apparently not!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your Computer posted:

i need more food a much bigger freezer to feed all these people
speaking of the bunnies, shoen is tremendously gifted at animal training and desperately wants to tame all of the bunnies. the only problem is that i now have 53 of them now

It sounds like you have 1 problem and 1 solution to that problem

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Flesh Forge posted:

it came out to 42, thankfully I had 6 mortars stolen from earlier siegers and a large supply of tox shells :toxx:

Visible Raid Points so you can see just how insanely huge raids can scale to and why
e: supposedly the cap is 10k but no, apparently not!

Randy applies a random multiplier to the threat point value, anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5, and the multiplier happens to be applied after the threat points are calculated, so his biggest raids can be bigger than Cassandra’s.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pool party :kimchi:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

we had an 11k manhunter pack of maddened elephants, but even they succumbed to our lovely green stink

i love the stinky friends :kimchi:

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Checking out this game coming from df and is there a goon recommended mod collection? I’d like something that adds cool mechanics instead of just a billion redundant items. Also kind of automation machines so I can do some factorial shenanigans. I remember masterwork in df used to have those and they fit the genre pretty well when they worked

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Also kind of automation machines so I can do some factorial shenanigans.

Project Rimfactory will be right up your alley

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2033979700

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 14, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Checking out this game coming from df and is there a goon recommended mod collection? I’d like something that adds cool mechanics instead of just a billion redundant items. Also kind of automation machines so I can do some factorial shenanigans. I remember masterwork in df used to have those and they fit the genre pretty well when they worked

these don't change core mechanics very much, just remove a lot of busywork/improve quality of life for the player

Flesh Forge posted:

if you're just getting started don't do any content mods at all, but there are some extremely useful quality of life mods that I recommend to everyone, no particular order:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1662119905 - Dub's Minimap
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945085502 - No Default Shelf Storage (you will pretty much always be adjusting shelf storage "things allowed" settings so it's better to start with them blank to avoid wasted work)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539025677 - Cut Plants Before Building, avoids pointless micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935982361 - Better Workbench Management, lets you link crafting jobs to share settings between identical crafting tables, avoids a lot of repeated micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2878346181 - Save Storage, Outfit, Crafting, Drug & Operation settings, lets you save presets for any of these things that are rather complicated to set up, so you can avoid a ton of repeated finicky work
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1414302321 - Numbers, displays lots of statistical info about various things that you could find in other ways but with a lot less trouble, and centralized
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372003680 - Replace Stuff, lets you replace constructions with different materials (e.g. you made a wall out of wood when you started, later on you have rock blocks and want to replace the wall) avoids immense amounts of pointless busywork
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485 - Allow Tool, a collection of small UI tools that negates an immense amount of pointless micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1874644848 - Character Editor, lets you edit characters (not necessary at all but useful)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125 - Defensive Positions, assign colonists to groups that can easily be selected and drafted, and assign 1 to 4 positions for all colonists to report to when a key/UI button is pressed, avoids tons of micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1467764609 - Search and Destroy, allows drafted colonists to automatically move around to engage enemies rather than having to manually handle every guy's every step, avoids tons of micro
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2562730174 - Visible Raid Points, shows you exactly how raid size is calculated, to help you understand why you're suddenly getting 500 centipedes in every raid

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is that big vanilla extended mod something that just adds a lot of content without changing mechanics or is it something that adds a ton of mechanics too

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is that big vanilla extended mod something that just adds a lot of content without changing mechanics or is it something that adds a ton of mechanics too

Vanilla Expanded is a collection of mods that each do different things, varying from 'adding a few pieces of extra armor' to 'adding an entire new system for diplomatically influencing senators'.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

vanilla expanded will usually add mechanics as well. some of the mods don't - they just add bloat - but a lot of them will have fairly chunky bits of functionality that aren't necessarily what they lead with

e.g. expanded mechanoids gives automated factories and a deeply irritating ship mechanic

if you want to start with mods i strongly suggest working through the list of QOL mods in flesh forge's post, play vanilla for a bit, and then try and figure out what you'd like more of. there are cool mechanic adding mods (in the vein of e.g. dubs bad hygiene, rimatomics) but they work better if you know how vanilla plays imo

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

A mod to add poo, it’s like I’m playing space station 13

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
:shobon: I like the total war mechanic for a specific play style but feel like the rest is bloat since biotech added mechanoids

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The ship mechanic from VEMechanoids is absurd. My fully kitted out team of shooters last run got wiped out by the mortars before they even got close to the 50 mechs waiting there like 4 years into the game. I just love the automated factory so much though even though it's not that great, it's just fun to build.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

play vanilla for a bit, and then try and figure out what you'd like more of. there are cool mechanic adding mods (in the vein of e.g. dubs bad hygiene, rimatomics) but they work better if you know how vanilla plays imo

big agree there. everything i've added has been because i don't like how it is in vanilla including the qol mods

like i think the first mod i got was "Clean Textures" which is kind of an unfitting name but i added it because it annoyed me how grasslands were all dirt and no grass

bam, problem solved and i've never removed the mod since :pram: same with other things that do change mechanics, like i hated how temperature management worked in vanilla where you need the bulky heaters and coolers everywhere so after a while i installed dubs' central heating which gives you stuff like wall vents to equalize temperature, boilers and heat piping, etc. as well as over-wall coolers instead of coolers that replace walls (makes a lot more sense to me)

a more recent example is the vanilla extended mods i got for stuff like plants and cooking, not because there's anything wrong with vanilla i just wanted more variety and fluff. i love fluff even if it muddies the game mechanics :shobon: i might also get something like the wall lights mod because it's really annoying how those little socket lamps are the only lighting you get in vanilla. can't even place them on tables they just take up a floor space and look like a bed lamp without a lampshade, always one of the more bizarre decisions in the game for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

yeah wall lights is a must have, it's honestly kinda wild there's nothing like it in vanilla still