Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Perestroika posted:

Gotta say, I'm overall a bit disappointed by the orbital stratagems. The eagle ones seem often just outright better both in effect as well as having shorter cooldowns in practice. I still get solid use out of the precision and airburst strikes, but the 120mm and 380mm barrages in particular seem way too inaccurate to be useful, not to mention the risk of friendly fire. Even the relatively more accurate walking barrage occasionally seems to just walk over targets without really touching them.

As far as I can tell the idea is that the eagle is supposed to cover a line side to side while the orbitals usually hit a circular area, giving each of them a niche, but the orbital barrages just don't seem to have enough coverage. The eagle just absolutely plasters the area in its attack run so you're almost guaranteed a good effect as long as you target them well, meanwhile with the orbitals it's much more a matter of luck whether the shells actually hit what you need them to or just go wherever.

The eagle is definitely top tier - not just for immediacy of effect, but the range of effects. Even if you end up just running the Air Strike (bombs) and Cluster strike (huge AOE) it will take care of 99% of your problems. That's before you even consider the INSANE value you get out of the eagle ship upgrades. 20% cooldown vs every other skill getting 10? A whole extra use per-rearm? 4 seconds between strikes? YES PLEASE

The orbitals need lower cooldowns overall - the only one that really feels 'powerful enough' to warrant the cooldown (but not be limited to 3 uses in a mission) is the laser. The laser does a lot of work!
The railcannon strike is amazing if you just want to kill 1 thing immediately (i.e. tank or bile titan) - and I sometimes take it instead of the 110mm Eagle Strike since they fulfill a similar role - where the eagle tends to be less reliable vs bugs but excellent against bot tanks.

The big AOE barrages definitely need some tuning. The walking barrage is the most consistent but even that can fail - especially if you're hoping to kill bug holes. The 300~ just feels like an RNG teamkilling device. I've seen some really good use out of the 120 and Gatling barrage: drop it right ontop of a bug breach/dropship - and it will generally clear out that entire 'spawn' of enemies for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Perestroika posted:

Gotta say, I'm overall a bit disappointed by the orbital stratagems. The eagle ones seem often just outright better both in effect as well as having shorter cooldowns in practice. I still get solid use out of the precision and airburst strikes, but the 120mm and 380mm barrages in particular seem way too inaccurate to be useful, not to mention the risk of friendly fire. Even the relatively more accurate walking barrage occasionally seems to just walk over targets without really touching them.

As far as I can tell the idea is that the eagle is supposed to cover a line side to side while the orbitals usually hit a circular area, giving each of them a niche, but the orbital barrages just don't seem to have enough coverage. The eagle just absolutely plasters the area in its attack run so you're almost guaranteed a good effect as long as you target them well, meanwhile with the orbitals it's much more a matter of luck whether the shells actually hit what you need them to or just go wherever.

Unlock the full splash damage perk for orbitals and taste the democracy.

380 and walking are good imo. You can just let them rip before hitting something like eggs or a large base/nest and get half the objective done before stepping in.

That being said I am an eagle man because I like the fast call ins and cool downs, but I bring 380mm or walking as well for preliminary bombardment.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vasudus posted:

I've accepted my role as the opposite - I'm the garbage man. I take out the trash. I run with cluster bombs, a stalwart at 1150rpm, the laser guard dog (which I have nicknamed "the cornballer"), and the 500kg bomb or orbital laser. I'm the guy that gets 400 kills and the biggest thing I've killed is a stalker.

I kinda middle road it with big eagle / orbitals but also the machine gun and backpack

backpack and machine gun owns by the way. never stop shooting.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

JBP posted:

Unlock the full splash damage perk for orbitals and taste the democracy.

380 and walking are good imo. You can just let them rip before hitting something like eggs or a large base/nest and get half the objective done before stepping in.

That being said I am an eagle man because I like the fast call ins and cool downs, but I bring 380mm or walking as well for preliminary bombardment.

I haven't witnessed orbitals with full unlocks behind them, but I would really hope that it makes a difference? The 380 especially is like a 50/50 chance of actually killing the thing you want to take out i.e. a bug hole or a robot spawner.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

One of the eagles drop bombs in a concentrated area, big enough to destroy small outposts, so no building is left, but not too wide that can cause friendly fire.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

idiotsavant posted:

We played some level 7 missions last night and it was a weird mix of difficulties. couple games we had endless streams of the bile mortars, multiple chargers, 1-2 bile titans at all times and then a couple other were like weird walk-in-the-park missions where barely anything spawned. We did a swarm defense mission where like, one single bile titan spawned at the end and by then we had about 10 AT missile drops scattered all over the drop pad to just obliterate it.

edit: also I think some of it is going to be figuring out squad loadout. a couple people running AT missiles, maybe one person running an autocannon, and one other person running a GL? GL doesnt do much against heavy armor but it's so loving nice for quick-clearing nests, small swarms, and stuff like the bile mortars

Is the difference perhaps how quickly you wipe out the scouts and prevent new waves spawning? That was always the crucial thing in the first game and I expect no different here.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Tei posted:

One of the eagles drop bombs in a concentrated area, big enough to destroy small outposts, so no building is left, but not too wide that can cause friendly fire.

Yeah, the Airstrike is the eagle MVP by a decent margin for 'kills everything when you need it' - pretty much only Bile Titans are somewhat unfazed by it.
The Cluster strike is the 'upgrade' from the starter strafing run - but also has some wacky splash radius that can be prone to deleting your teammates.
Napalm stops being very useful after 5+ tier
The 110 is 'semi-reliable' anti-heavy - way better vs automaton tanks
The 500kg is just hilarious - but also unreliable at blowing up Bile Titans contrary to the advertisement.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Test report:

After testing the fire autoshotgun, I go back to the normal autoshotty. I feel like they have cut a arm and a leg withouth the autoshotgun. His stopping power against hordes of small bugs and medium size bugs is incredible. The fire shotgun maybe is good, but I feel gimped with it.

The railgun on low difficulty levels is hilarious, oneshot chargers. Tried the hamster ball shield, and seems to protect against small criter mele attacks, so is better than advertised. Anyway I have already have a use for the backpack.

I am curious about removing the safe limiter from the railgun, that somebody mention. Maybe energy shield + railgun weapon can be a cool setup.

It will be hard for me to abandon the autocanon. Being the one that oneshots medium size enemies and having lots of ammo give you a lot of freedom.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

is the problem with the 500 pounder that it does relatively low damage in a high area?

kzmn
Dec 11, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

is the problem with the 500 pounder that it does relatively low damage in a high area?

More that damage falloff is really bad for it. It vaporizes anything in the dead center of the explosion and gently tickles anything on the outer edges of the blast radius. It can one-shot a bile titan but you basically have to place it perfectly to do so.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I can't get used to the Grenade Launcher, are there any tips for using it?

My friends said it's really good against spewers and closing bug holes at a distance but it doesn't seem to be good for more than that. I've also definitely killed myself bouncing grenades off of armor and back into my face. Or a friend's face.

Edit: Also closing bug holes at a distance is really finicky, you have to get like the perfect bounce in so it's more difficult then it seems.

kzmn
Dec 11, 2006

OGS-Remix posted:

My friends said it's really good against spewers and closing bug holes at a distance but it doesn't seem to be good for more than that. I've also definitely killed myself bouncing grenades off of armor and back into my face. Or a friend's face.

Edit: Also closing bug holes at a distance is really finicky, you have to get like the perfect bounce in so it's more difficult then it seems.

Grenade launcher is really good except against heavy armor enemies like the charger, bile titan and big bots / tanks. To avoid bounces on armored enemies aim for the ground near the bugs instead of the bugs themselves and don't try to use it if they are in too close. Toss in a supply backback so you can keep yourself topped off on ammo for it and it is an excellent general purpose horde clear weapon as long as someone else can reliably handle the heavies for you. I've gotten 30+ kills just kind of mag-dumping vaguely in the direction of a horde on suicide difficulty before.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I feel like fire could stand to do 50% more damage. As it works now you're still shooting small poo poo that's burning because it keeps on coming at you. I tried out a flamethrower and threw it away saying trash since you're very close and it doesn't kill the things.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

JBP posted:

I feel like fire could stand to do 50% more damage. As it works now you're still shooting small poo poo that's burning because it keeps on coming at you. I tried out a flamethrower and threw it away saying trash since you're very close and it doesn't kill the things.

seconded

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

I said come in! posted:

No come back, we need to play together because I am the same way.
^This.

Also, trip report with the JAR, aka the not-Bolter: It's okay, but not great. It can give a decent rate of fire if you keep manually tapping it, but you can't hold down the button for auto-fire. It feels like it sacrifices way too much for having the round explode on impact (but seemingly dealing no Explosive damage) and Medium Armor Penetration. Maybe if I take it up against the bots it'll feel better though.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

OGS-Remix posted:

it's got the fairly common GL mechanic where the grenades need to fly a certain distance before they arm - before that they bounce, and after that they explode on contact. They're great vs spewers and also clean up mobs pretty well - 2-3 shots will take out a spewer (usually 2 when they spawn close together, too!) or a small mob. They also work great against the AT-ST type bots; if you shoot just behind them or under their legs one round is usually enough to pop the pilot and take care of them. They have a decent amount of ammo, reload is fast, and lets you use a backpack. Only drawback is the lack of armor pen, though at least they do explosive damage so theoretically you can shoot a charger in the rear end sort of ok, though between getting enough distance and not hitting teammates with the splash it can be a little tricky

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Ok I tried a robot defence mission and got a dropship with my recoilless rifle. No change to the mission score. Didn't even get 1/150 for the ship. I'm pretty sure it was still full of robots, but it's hard to tell at that range

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Fire shotgun does less damage at shorter range with way worse spread than the regular breaker. I’d rather have the standard breaker and outright kill half the group I’m shooting at with one mag vs using a fire mag and maybe eventually killing the entire group

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I've been trying so hard to make the flamethrower work; between the extreme hazard of having to get in your opponent's face (where everyone's turrets/guard dogs/strikes are going), the self-damage, and the lack of any panic/flinch/slow mechanic, the flamethrower is likely in the lead for the worst support weapon in the game.

I've gotten the most success by paring it with the jump-pack and hosing down groups of light/medium enemies and immediately leaping away from hoppers and bile bugs - and don't rely on the damage-over-time; hose them down until they stop moving. At the very least you can kill chargers with a full tank and not have to worry about hitting weakspots.

edit: On another note, the ballistic shield is an incredible letdown - it's only effective against small arms fire (small spitters, grunt lasers) and even then you can only take a few hits before you stagger - anything bigger just ragdolls you (which makes you drop the shield btw). The energy shield does so much more without needing to take up a hand slot.

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 14, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

idiotsavant posted:

Fire shotgun does less damage at shorter range with way worse spread than the regular breaker. I’d rather have the standard breaker and outright kill half the group I’m shooting at with one mag vs using a fire mag and maybe eventually killing the entire group

drat that's a bummer. Has anyone tried the gun in the last premium battlepass tier?

Edit: Oh that's the JAR being mentioned here

Jossar posted:

^This.

Also, trip report with the JAR, aka the not-Bolter: It's okay, but not great. It can give a decent rate of fire if you keep manually tapping it, but you can't hold down the button for auto-fire. It feels like it sacrifices way too much for having the round explode on impact (but seemingly dealing no Explosive damage) and Medium Armor Penetration. Maybe if I take it up against the bots it'll feel better though.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 14, 2024

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
So I’m playing on pc and accidentally bound my mouse movement to something else a couple times. No biggy, bound it back, all good. But now my map movement is unbound and binding it to mouse movement unbinds the looking mouse movement. So I can’t move the map or my cursor on the map up or left lol.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is there not just a default reset?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Jakabite posted:

So I’m playing on pc and accidentally bound my mouse movement to something else a couple times. No biggy, bound it back, all good. But now my map movement is unbound and binding it to mouse movement unbinds the looking mouse movement. So I can’t move the map or my cursor on the map up or left lol.

Maybe there's a setting.ini file or something you can delete and then verify files to download a fresh copy?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
not even close :c00l:

https://i.imgur.com/GUPAZRM.mp4

Here's what the Super Sample landmark looks like if you haven't found one yourself yet. They only spawn in Suicide Mission difficulty or above, and presumably they always spawn together.

https://i.imgur.com/kOetdRq.mp4

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fire shotgun's main use is just hammering into a swarm from midrange and watching it all die before it gets to you. It's the weapon I used to get the 100 fire kills in one mission achievement.

If you're closer, use the breaker though. It's better for straight killing. Fire shotgun is just to apply that massive AOE with its spread and then you keep walking.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Every single person i've watched use the fire shotgun is someone i've had to shoot hunter bugs off of cause they don't die before they get to them.

Jakabite posted:

This happened to me. The only solution is to restore defaults. Luckily it only restores defaults to that page of settings, so your other tabs of keybinds won't be effected.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Breaker is a huge upgrade. Wish I had an offline app to nerd around with.

Haven't played something like this since Left 4 Dead

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Play posted:

Okay maybe this is an actual mechanic, but I've noticed something and I'm sure a lot of other people have too on some level. It seems to be the case that you can input strats while sprinting, but ONLY if your camera is facing behind you. I tested it out and when I turned my camera far enough to the side the character started walking.

Am I crazy or is this how it works?

Either way, it's hugely useful to know about. I'm sure many have done it but not sure if many have taken notice of exactly how it seems to work. Slowing down to put in strats puts you at risk, especially against the automatons.

Can anyone comment on this, is this how it works for you all too?

Also, apparently there's a setting so that first person view aim only gets set on the gun you put it on, not every weapon. If so that's great because some weapons are good like that and some are terrible

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

If you're holding the shield in one hand, your first person view is the little slot in the shield haha

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Play posted:

Can anyone comment on this, is this how it works for you all too?

Also, apparently there's a setting so that first person view aim only gets set on the gun you put it on, not every weapon. If so that's great because some weapons are good like that and some are terrible

I just reset my strategem buttons to the arrow keys so I can use one hand to move and one hand to input. But i've heard from other people it works if you're going backwards.

And yea, it's under options > gameplay > Remember Aim Mode

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is the shield actually good for anything? Being able to walk towards something shooting you seems worse than killing the thing lol

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Would probably be handy for that "Complete a mission where no one fires their primary or support weapon" achievement.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat, people weren't kidding with the autocannon partial reload. Stripper clip like it's a bolt action, very fast, wipes out anything short of heavy armor with the quickness.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I've only used it against robots. Mostly i feel less pressure when taking a moment to aim at the head of some elite baddy or a group of regular robots. Of course with light armour on a couple of bullet hits is a stim use so maybe it's saving those. I've felt it's easier to run off alone somewhere to recover a sample or chuck a grenade in a box, but the highest difficulty I've played is the top orange triangle

It's probably not worth a strategem and backpack slot but also i think a sci fi soldier with a Roman shield and a pistol is cool

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I agree that it's extremely cool.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Has anyone gotten the Spray n' Pray variant of the breaker shotgun? I'm curious what the difference between it and the normal breaker is

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tibbeh posted:

Has anyone gotten the Spray n' Pray variant of the breaker shotgun? I'm curious what the difference between it and the normal breaker is

Half damage, twice the mag capacity.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So some friends want to play this but I've been seeing poo poo about how pervasive the microtransactions are with weapons tied to the battlepass and stuff. So, how much can you actually do/unlock without having to fork over additional cash?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You don't need to spend a dime on it. Christ the battlepass that unlocks with big boy currency doesn't even have anything that good in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Nuebot posted:

So some friends want to play this but I've been seeing poo poo about how pervasive the microtransactions are with weapons tied to the battlepass and stuff. So, how much can you actually do/unlock without having to fork over additional cash?

You never have to pay anything in real money if you're patient and collect Game Money in missions and in the free battlepass track.

Also, Game Money collected during missions goes to everyone in the group, and is added directly on your account. As long as you're in the group when it's picked up by anyone, you get it immediately, and you won't lose it if your connection drops or you have to quit (assuming game's back-end is working).

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 14, 2024