Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Internet Explorer posted:

It will never not be funny to me that people are now like "Windows 10 is the best! Pry it from my cold dead hands!"

Before that we heard the same thing about 10 from 7 users. And before that we heard the same thing about 7 from XP. And before that we heard the same thing about XP from 2000.

ME and 8/8.1 were the exceptions, not the rule. Some buttons got moved. Sorry.

8 and especially 8.1 was miles ahead of stock 11 in usability, sorry, particularly on a touch screen.

Yes it was different, but the problem with 11 is that it actively hides stuff or makes it slower to access. It's not that there is nothing good about it - I quite like the new settings, plus the improvements to console etc. are also quite good, but the main shell UI is a disaster - why yes I want to have to do two clicks and mouse movement to get to the context menu, brilliant idea.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can disable that and use the old right click menu if it is that much of a problem for you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol an article from 2014.

"What is this Fisher-Price bullshit!"
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/04/memory-lane-before-everyone-loved-windows-xp-they-hated-it/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

You can disable that and use the old right click menu if it is that much of a problem for you.

By using registry hacks or shell patches, yeah. Same as you can bring back the weather app, start menu tiles, etc. That's the whole point.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seems like a pretty easy fix to me. You could even say that the OS still supports it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You guys are still using Windows? :smugdog:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Seems like a pretty easy fix to me. You could even say that the OS still supports it.

Sure, that's why I'm using it. But it doesn't make the default UI not a disaster.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah it's literally

Step 1: Browse to https://ninite.com/openshell/
Step 2: Run the installer it auto-downloads
Step 3:

Done, your normal Start Menu is back. If you pick "Control Panel" instead of "Settings" it'll even open up the old-school Control Panel still.

But again, if you're not running Win 11 you're intentionally crippling your GPU performance.

Like, this whole stack of features I'm pretty sure isn't in Win 10:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I don't think I ever liked XP, I was firmly on the "win2000 is better" team until win 7 came out

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
The correct order of Windows is:
XP -> 7 -> 10 -> 12(???)

Also when the gently caress can I buy a goddamn 4080 Super, this is infuriating. Waiting on the Noctua edition but there's still zero news on release date, it was supposed to release on the 8th.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Zero VGS posted:

Like, this whole stack of features I'm pretty sure isn't in Win 10:

Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling and the VRR option are in the current windows 10 build if I recall correctly. Hardware GPU scheduling definitely is because I had to turn that on to mess around with that FSR3 frame generation + DLSS upscaling at the same time mod on Alan Wake 2 with my 3080

So part of those GPU features were back ported to 10 or whatever.

Edit Auto HDR definitely isn't though

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

slidebite posted:

FYI

It's a 35GB download and available here
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/ai-on-rtx/chat-with-rtx-generative-ai/

Apparently, Win10 need not apply.

Part of the reason I'm sticking with Win10 is to keep this sort of poo poo off my machine, and setting a target version with GPO. "Oh no, I can't use Copilot on 10? Promise?"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

change my name posted:

Once you download a few extensions to make it look like Windows 10 again, yeah

watch out with those shell extensions or raymond chen will get pissy at you rather than reflecting on why users want those shell extensions

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20230324-00/?p=107966

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MarcusSA posted:

Its really not that bad.

I mean, yeah, but W11 is "better" than W10 by a very small percentage imo

I haven't found a single thing that would drive me to recommend anyone running 10 to upgrade. Like, not a single feature. Maybe for devs it's better, or some games might run better (are there even any benchmarks proving this) but as an end user? the main difference I've found is more bugs.

I'm using W11 because I was forced to upgrade, not by choice. If you're still on 10, and things work? heck, stay with it, more power to you.

BTW you can get the old style taskbar just fiddling with the default taskbar settings, I didn't download anything extra to make it like the W10 design.

It's like Microsoft wanted to copy MacOS but they only managed to copy the worst parts

edit: like, they got rid of the words "Copy", "Paste" in the right click menu of the file explorer, replacing them with little graphical icons. what the gently caress is the point of that. If you install something like 7-zip and want to use it, you have to always go into a SECOND right click context menu that is basically the old W10 menu. It's so loving dumb, for possibly the most used app in the world

edit 2: Oh if you are one of those weirdos who likes the vertical task bar on the side, you can't. Maybe then you need to download some mod

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 14, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I got my first MP3 player, a 32MB Rio unit, thanks to the Windows XP Launch Party at a Best Buy near me; you had to pre-order it though at the time to get the goodies.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I mean, yeah, but W11 is "better" than W10 by a very small percentage imo

I haven't found a single thing that would drive me to recommend anyone running 10 to upgrade. Like, not a single feature. Maybe for devs it's better, or some games might run better (are there even any benchmarks proving this) but as an end user? the main difference I've found is more bugs.

I'm using W11 because I was forced to upgrade, not by choice. If you're still on 10, and things work? heck, stay with it, more power to you.

BTW you can get the old style taskbar just fiddling with the default taskbar settings, I didn't download anything extra to make it like the W10 design.

It's like Microsoft wanted to copy MacOS but they only managed to copy the worst parts

edit: like, they got rid of the words "Copy", "Paste" in the right click menu of the file explorer, replacing them with little graphical icons. what the gently caress is the point of that. If you install something like 7-zip and want to use it, you have to always go into a SECOND right click context menu that is basically the old W10 menu. It's so loving dumb, for possibly the most used app in the world

edit 2: Oh if you are one of those weirdos who likes the vertical task bar on the side, you can't. Maybe then you need to download some mod

It's both kinda minor and really worrying. MS shouldn't be making these kinds of ux regressions in such a mature product.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I still hate it, but lovingly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the xp shell owned because there was a whole theme engine hidden in there, microsoft tried to lock it down so you could only use their themes but it was easily cracked to allow custom ones

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
anecdotal but I’ve had at least one friend get the dumb AI copilot thing auto installed on their W10 after an update.

You’d be surprised how many games just work on Linux nowadays. It’s not all green pastures but I already have enough apps on my phone trying to outenshittify each other. Not gonna see my desktop OS follow suit if I can help it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

The correct order of Windows is:
XP -> 7 -> 10 -> 12(???)

Also when the gently caress can I buy a goddamn 4080 Super, this is infuriating. Waiting on the Noctua edition but there's still zero news on release date, it was supposed to release on the 8th.

some microcenters still show zotac in stock

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

win 11 is usable but you have to spend an inordinate amount of time in powershell, gpedit, and regedit getting it set up to not suck rear end and farm your data. which means its the same as windows 10 in that regard. whom care.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's finally the year of linux on the desktop, until the big distros switch fully over to wayland later this year and break everything for nvidia users

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

What card did you buy, at what price? I’m seeing some of the 1200 msrp cards stick around but none of the $999s

asus tuf 4070 ti super, non OC edition. the 800 one instead of 850+ pre-OCed or whatever. I kept an intermittent eye on the 4080 supers just in case and it was the same thing -- 999 out of stock, the more expensive models were available. Just took a little patience, but I got it. If it helps, B&H photo had it in stock first so that's who I went with.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 14, 2024

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Windows 7 and 10 were the only ones with good out of the box UI going all the way back to 3.1.

I guess maybe vista was pretty close I just always forget about it since it was so hated because everyone was trying to run it on shitboxes with 512 MB of ram.

XP was usable but ugly as poo poo. I will die on this hill.

11 has finally driven me to Linux where I can use kde which feels like the good parts of 7 and 10.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

VorpalFish posted:

XP was usable but ugly as poo poo. I will die on this hill.

11 has finally driven me to Linux where I can use kde which feels like the good parts of 7 and 10.

I installed Kubuntu so I could get theme customizations and I reskinned it to look like windows xp, complete with a tastefully modernized Bliss background :kiddo:

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I liked vista after a couple service packs. I’ve always had way more than recommended ram in every build tho.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I never did jive with XP. My experience of Windows was at its peak with 2K and every version since then has felt like some level of regression in some way. That said, i switched full time to Linux around 4 years ago so I have no idea what 11 is like.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I was okay with XP, but we were a strict classic skin only household.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

what have i done

what have i done

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

A recent update for W11 let me get rid of my extensions to make it more like w10. The big one was an option to not auto collapse taskbar groups so that different browser windows showed up on the taskbar and such. I figured it was better to not have the extensions installed given a choice for stability.

Even as a nerd who spends a lot of time loving around with computer poo poo I’m somewhat indifferent to most of the OS since I’m typically in a program not just meandering around the OS menus. W11 was a problem for loving with basics like taskbar and right click menu but you can toggle that stuff now. As long as taskbar, alt tab, and systray are fine it’s not a big deal if a settings menu is goofy when I have to go adjust something once in a great while. I wouldn’t have gone out of my way to upgrade, but ending up in it is fine

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

why dev for a dev OS like win10 or a dead card the 30 series?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Once you go Mac you begrudgingly go back (for gaming)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

it happened to me, and one day it'll happen to you too!
and then you'll go back to using a mac for everything else and just use your pc to game

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

wargames posted:

why dev for a dev OS like win10 or a dead card the 30 series?

Hopefully they'll put something together for my 970.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Canned Sunshine posted:

GeForce Now runs on MacOS :)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

it happened to me, and one day it'll happen to you too!
and then you'll go back to using a mac for everything else and just use your pc to game

Oh, I've been Mac-primary since around 2009, with Windows pretty much just for gaming since (at least for personal use; I do use Windows for side consulting work)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

It will never not be funny to me that people are now like "Windows 10 is the best! Pry it from my cold dead hands!"

Before that we heard the same thing about 10 from 7 users. And before that we heard the same thing about 7 from XP. And before that we heard the same thing about XP from 2000.

ME and 8/8.1 were the exceptions, not the rule. Some buttons got moved. Sorry.

You have misunderstood, people aren't saying "Win 10 is best", they are saying "Win 11 is even worse than Win 10". Because it would be so redundant to keep repeating "Windows ?? is worse than Windows 2000". Microsoft has to change things so Windows stays new and fresh, but since they haven't come up with ways to improve from 2K they are forced to make it worse. I just hope that soon 2K is so far in the past that 2K UI can make a comeback.

Win 2000 was the pinnacle of Windows UI design. It was pleasant to look at, yet also clear to use. Active and out-of-focus windows were easy to tell apart, which has been a standard shortcoming with later versions. Win XP's biggest improvement was the red X button, but otherwise it was a regression.

I have tried to make Windows look like 2K for as long as possible. With 7 I used the Classic theme and gave up on hardware acceleration since the UI was more important. With Win 10 I was forced to give up and endure the deterioration.

It would be interesting if someone made a video comparing the most common UI features over Windows versions. Unfortunately it probably couldn't take in to account UI customizations people would have made. I wonder if I could still remember what changes I used to make if I had freshly installed older Windowses in front of me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry I misunderstood. Please, do not subject me to any more screeds about how Windows 2000 is the one true OS. I beg of you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sorry I misunderstood. Please, do not subject me to any more screeds about how Windows 2000 is the one true OS. I beg of you.

Will you accept a mild endorsement of Windows Me?

My brother had it on his laptop and I always thought the startup sound was the best Windows has ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Only because it ran the same version of Internet Explorer as Windows XP out of the box. Check and mate, Windows nerds.