Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel like things just get so chaotic that relying on a (specific) teammate to reload you is just a massive point of failure that is inevitable.

Maybe it would be better if you could wear the backpack and reload yourself but any teammate could stop by to help.

It's called two people bringing the RR stratagem. Synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

After about 3 days of playing I had 800 of the premium currency, and it’s 1000 to get the pass. From just the first pass it seems fair.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The battlepass also never expires. There isn't any FOMO to unlock stuff. Just play the game.

There is a rotating shop every 24 hours with so-so armour in it that are just skins as well. You can shop here with currency found in game as well if you like.

Mulva posted:

You don't need to spend a dime on it. Christ the battlepass that unlocks with big boy currency doesn't even have anything that good in it.

It has some cool post game emotes and nice looking armour!

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 14, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Coldforge posted:

You never have to pay anything in real money if you're patient and collect Game Money in missions and in the free battlepass track.

Also, Game Money collected during missions goes to everyone in the group, and is added directly on your account. As long as you're in the group when it's picked up by anyone, you get it immediately, and you won't lose it if your connection drops or you have to quit (assuming game's back-end is working).

Thanks, given all the angry posts online it's hard to get concise information from people who aren't like freaking out over DRM and microtransactions!

JBP posted:

The battlepass also never expires. There isn't any FOMO to unlock stuff. Just play the game.

There is a rotating shop every 24 hours with so-so armour in it that are just skins as well. You can shop here with currency found in game as well if you like.

Oh the armour in the shop are just skins? The way people were going on about it, it sounded like they were selling all the good stuff in the cash shop and everyone else had to make due with the base armour.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey TBF I don't think I've seen that super light armor with less recoil and explosive resistance outside of the daily shop with the premium currency. Would like that for my build personally IMO

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

JBP posted:

To add to all this, you get super credits in game at a pretty good clip if you're hitting the bunkers and grenading open the underground conex boxes. I've gotten upwards of like 80 super credits in a match. They don't track it in game, but I think it's like the samples where you have to extract with them for it to count.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nuebot posted:

So some friends want to play this but I've been seeing poo poo about how pervasive the microtransactions are with weapons tied to the battlepass and stuff. So, how much can you actually do/unlock without having to fork over additional cash?

this is enemy propaganda. undemocratic opinions

other fail rear end live games are jealous

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Orv posted:

Half damage, twice the mag capacity.

Also twice as much spread.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gosh, I forgot how lovely pubbie players are. Just ran a set of two standard missions on normal with a group of randos, and on the second defense blitz mission I collected some samples as we walked around trivializing the mission with sentries. But then when evac came I apparently made the stupid mistake of going straight for it instead of collecting the last common samples.

Host decided to shoot me in the head when I was in the Pelican, so that also meant I dropped my samples and they got all of one. That also means they denied themselves the extra XP and money for having Helldivers alive on evac.

They then kicked me before I could even see the results screen.

Nice tantrum, I guess? I mean, I still got XP, money, and medals for completing the mission so it's not like they did any active harm to me. Just disappointing to see people be manbabies over a handful of samples (that they denied themselves because they did the real manly thing and shot me).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nuebot posted:

Thanks, given all the angry posts online it's hard to get concise information from people who aren't like freaking out over DRM and microtransactions!

Oh the armour in the shop are just skins? The way people were going on about it, it sounded like they were selling all the good stuff in the cash shop and everyone else had to make due with the base armour.

They're skins in the sense that they do have attributes, but they're not unique. You can get all the attributes from armour earned by playing without paying a cent. It also doesn't take long to rack up medals to unlock stuff.

If something pops up in the armour shop and you think it's cool you'll probably have fun bucks from normal play for it anyway. I've got four things from the "cash shop" already with super bucks found in mission and from getting super bucks from the free battle pass.

It's all very fair and low stress.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm usually someone that whales the gently caress out on games like this and I haven't spent a dime. I almost have enough super credits from doing missions to buy the premium pass anyway. They all use the same currency to advance it (medals) so even if you have the premium pass you're still picking and choosing what you're unlocking. And the weapons are for the most part a sidegrade.

It's an extremely reasonable monetization scheme in these dark days.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It seems like the general consensus is the premium battlepass weapons are actually worse versions of their counterparts, lol.

Edit: I do prefer the explosive Liberator though.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 14, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vasudus posted:

I'm usually someone that whales the gently caress out on games like this and I haven't spent a dime. I almost have enough super credits from doing missions to buy the premium pass anyway. They all use the same currency to advance it (medals) so even if you have the premium pass you're still picking and choosing what you're unlocking. And the weapons are for the most part a sidegrade.

It's an extremely reasonable monetization scheme in these dark days.
it's a shame that the frog has been boiled so hard that it's acceptable at all in a full-price game; but yeah at least it's not p2w garbage

i wonder if super earth is as much a capitalist hellhole as our decidedly-not-super-at-all earth

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 14, 2024

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Nuebot posted:

So some friends want to play this but I've been seeing poo poo about how pervasive the microtransactions are with weapons tied to the battlepass and stuff. So, how much can you actually do/unlock without having to fork over additional cash?

Nuebot posted:

You can get big chunks of premium currency from the free or premium battlepasses, or little bits rarely as drops in missions. Nearly all of the premium currency I've earned has been from the inital free battlepass, which I've spent in the cash store. The premium battlepass has less currency in it than the free one. You can see the problem - premium currency appears to be plentiful for now but it's going to dry up as I slow or stop getting more currency from the free battlepass, and each premium battlepass only "pays" a portion of what I used to unlock it. However, the free battlepass has a lot of stuff in it, there's no time restrictions, and there's plenty to keep you entertained without spending extra

The armour from the cash store does have different stats from the free armours. However it's not better or worse, for now, and you'll be able to get most of the effects you want from a free armour

e: all in all i'd be happy buying the game and not spending again. however i'm likely to open my wallet for future premium battlepasses

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Apologies I forgot about the light weight explosive resistant armour. I purchased that from the cash shop with medals lol.

E: I don't doubt that your super bucks will dry up as you complete the battlepass, but the game will have been running for a good while by then. If I'm still playing in six months you can be sure I'll buy something if it looks rad. The game is cheaper to buy at the outset than most games and it's actually good.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Wait until you can get skins for the mechs and tanks

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Ciaphas posted:

it's a shame that the frog has been boiled so hard that it's acceptable at all in a full-price game; but yeah at least it's not p2w garbage

i wonder if super earth is as much a capitalist hellhole as our decidedly-not-super-at-all earth

There's an ad on the TV where a rising stock market arrow is driven directly through the carapace of a Terminid as the announcer indicates that the best way to defeat them is through a strong economy and there's a transition screen quote telling you to show your love for capitalism by buying Warbonds.

The answer, as with everything else, is yes and played for all it's worth.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

magiccarpet posted:

Wait until you can get skins for the mechs and tanks

where did my mony go

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jossar posted:

There's an ad on the TV where a rising stock market arrow is driven directly through the carapace of a Terminid as the announcer indicates that the best way to defeat them is through a strong economy and there's a transition screen quote telling you to show your love for capitalism by buying Warbonds.

The answer, as with everything else, is yes and played for all it's worth.

lmao I love the round the clock state run tv on the ship that you live on with three other people

E: I regret not pre-ordering as well because the pre-order helmet is called Ambassador of the Brand.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

three other people and some probably-asinine number of helldiver popsicles, anyway :v:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ciaphas posted:

game's only $40 so not quite full price, but agreed in principle

this is my favorite "live service" game ive played, coop bug and terminator killing is so deeply satisfying. slowly getting very good at dodging and weaving around bugs but would love to get into some higher difficulties.

also please god more people add me to play with, the pubbies get more insane as you near the higher levels. how do I cross friend people on Steam, is that what the friend code is for?

psn is hunnie_badger for what its worth and my in game friend code is #4940-6036

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if i can't get it for a jackson or less it's full price in my books :colbert:

but yeah despite all that this game is rapidly catching up with DRG in my list of co-op game all-timers; and i haven't even fought the 'bots yet

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Huh that's a weird shaped building"

Then the building started to move.

Love the bugs, but nothing gets the blood pumping like fighting bots at night.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nuebot posted:

The discourse surrounding the MTX is wild. it's seriously some of the most inoffensive GAAS stuff I have seen in a game so I'm not really sure why it's become such a target. You could either spend nothing or a few dollars but it's nothing compared to these other games expecting people to pay $20 for skins. You can earn enough for the premium pass in just a few sessions and buying armor from the store is the equivalent of like 3 dollars but you can also find premium currency while playing.

The armor has stats but the premium armor has the same stats as stuff in the free battlepass for the most part. Tbh it seems like the best version of every weapon is in the free unlock area

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure what you consider a full price game, but the base price is only $40 when a lot of AAA games are $70 these days. The game is also extremely generous in giving you Supercredits if you look for them.

Plus for the stuff in the premium Warbond you still have to play the game to get medals to unlock the items. Buying Supercredits is at most a mild shortcut.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This guy gets it

https://www.pcgamer.com/helldivers-2-monetization/

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The rate at which you collect premium currency in mission makes has me absolutely certain that the people complaining about microtransactions haven’t played the game. You can easily earn 1000 supercredits in a week. Stuff stays in the shop for two days, so even if you have 0 supercredits you have enough time to get the 250 for whatever armor you want. Maybe a bit of a push for the armor and matching helmet.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How will they be adding stuff to the warbond store I wonder? Will new items go to the last page?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Honestly if a game is adding new things, managing servers and providing an actual service to the player base I don't begrudge them charging for items as long as they aren't p2w in a competitive game or wildly out of synch with the free items.

For instance I have spent a lot of money on Battlefield expansions and similar over the years. They kept those games alive and interesting, and they cost money to keep up with the player base who would buy the expansions as well. So good (rare) GAAS games that add new content and stuff to do/use for "free" while subsidising it through a shop don't offend me.

We have no idea what Helldivers 2 actually looks like as the GAAS starts to smell, but it's a good start.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I want the dinosaurs with laser beams faction next

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The rate at which you collect premium currency in mission makes has me absolutely certain that the people complaining about microtransactions haven’t played the game. You can easily earn 1000 supercredits in a week. Stuff stays in the shop for two days, so even if you have 0 supercredits you have enough time to get the 250 for whatever armor you want. Maybe a bit of a push for the armor and matching helmet.

I'm already buying stuff off the superstore because I don't feel like I'm going to run out of supercredits when I want them thanks to how much they show up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kaddish posted:

How will they be adding stuff to the warbond store I wonder? Will new items go to the last page?

I reckon they're going to add new warbonds every few months or so. This would be good since you likely need fewer medals for the earlier tiers of the bond, so casual players will get to start unlocking items at a decent clip again if they're kind of stuck in the large initial warbond.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

even if you do decide to spend real money it's so much cheaper than any other game on the market. Like what, about 3-4 bucks for an armor and helmet set? Compared to the absurd $30+ skins in Diablo IV it's hard to get mad at this

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

magiccarpet posted:

I want the dinosaurs with laser beams faction next

if they do a dino faction this will be the best online game ive ever played

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I think what happened was people fired the game up, took one look at the store (to be fair it does have the optics of being extremely monetized before you actually realize how it works) and went online to complain because people love to complain.
Basically every “pay to win” comment seems to be based on the explosive liberator being in the premium pass. People looking at it and thinking side grades are outright upgrades when they aren’t.

Seems like everyone playing has realized this but the damage was done from all the day one complaining. No one has to spend a dime in this game if they don’t want to and they won’t be missing out on almost anything.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's probably for the best that the disinfo is out there, the servers couldn't handle any more players now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

TaurusTorus posted:

After about 3 days of playing I had 800 of the premium currency, and it’s 1000 to get the pass. From just the first pass it seems fair.

Also the premium pass is only three pages and nothing in it is particularly good. Frankly, it all sucks

Nuebot posted:

No they're not just skins, they have some stats and bonus modifiers. However no armor is truly 'better' than another, except the starting one which is worse than all of them. If armor has more protection, it'll have lower speed and lower stamina, and vice versa. The bonuses are more for creating a build that works with how you want to play. I have one with further throwing speed because I like being able to call down hits from far away, for example.

Even so I've bought a few things in that store but all with game-earned currency. Mostly I just buy helmets in it to look cool (helmets are all the same)

Relentlessboredomm posted:

also please god more people add me to play with, the pubbies get more insane as you near the higher levels. how do I cross friend people on Steam, is that what the friend code is for?

psn is hunnie_badger for what its worth and my in game friend code is #4940-6036

The friend code is in game only I believe. There's a spreadsheet somewhere, don't have the link on me but add everyone on there and then yourself! I'll add you now as well

E: that code didn't work in-game, nothing found

Play fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 14, 2024

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone done cross party between PC and PS5? Some friends have this on PC but I prefer to use my PS5 if possible

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game broke? Trying to play with friends and stuck on 'defrosting' :mad:

Yeah, servers seem to be hosed again lol

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Regarding armour and upgrades I have been wondering what some of these passives do. I have 5 medium armours that say 'extra padding' so that they act as a higher armour class, but I have no idea what benefits each armour class provide to me as a player, since I don't know what types of damage the enemies are doing. Will a heavy armour class be able to withstand being spat on by a big stream of bug bile? Because right now my light armour guy has to run away or he will definitely die. At least one armour I have offers better limb protection, but what does it mean if I'm using a one handed gun, or throwing a grenade?

There's heaps of mechanics to keep track of but barely any time to really think about them when you will be dead in 5 seconds or less the moment something goes wrong. Just hit a stim and run away fast. I feel like the benefit of a jet pack is probably for heavy armours who don't have the manoeuvrability to side step things like chargers without diving. It's also saved me in moments where I find that a small rock face is just a tiny bit too tall to climb by hand.