Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

conflict by disturbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Yeah she is, gently caress boomers

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

tuyop posted:

this old woman is not your enemy

individually and personally, no, and i know that. that's why i want to punch the wall, not her.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

the third segment in this where a purple haired 70 year old senior stays in her single family home while some dude in his 30s moves into a retirement home was like catnip for me to rage about

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-379-cost-of-living/clip/16041632-the-nuclear-option

some highlights:
- she says she doesn't have to leave her detached single family home because she has the support of her children and neighbours
- her neighbours mow her lawn and shovel her snow
- spends most of her time in just three rooms
- doesn't want to hang out with other seniors, wants to be around families with kids (this one especially made me choke considering how many people are delaying or not having kids for lack of housing)
- her son wants her to sell and let a nice family have the house but she says she "doesn't want to be in a box"

and i think about how i'm facing eviction, again, from a tiny condo apartment, and how i'll be moving into an even smaller apartment next and my rent will be going up yet another 20-30% and i honestly am trying not to punch the loving wall

you’ll need permission from your landlord to punch the wall

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RBC posted:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RBC posted:

That's one way to avoid paying rent.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

apatheticman posted:

Eh those properties aren't related just by eachother.

Osteria is where all the Calgary sleezebags hang out anyways it'd be like burning the place where you planned your crimes

Tony Soprano had to burn down his best friend's restaurant so that his uncle would stop doing business there

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i love our media. why would pro-palestinian protesters go here of all places? must be targeted antisemitism!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Canada grants refugee status to Israeli violent settlers civil rights activists barred from France. Joly is waiting at the airport to welcome them with warm blankets and hot cocoa

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Escape Goat posted:

you’ll need permission from your landlord to punch the wall

true, wouldn’t want to damage her investment before she has a chance to sell it

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Juul-Whip posted:

i love our media. why would pro-palestinian protesters go here of all places? must be targeted antisemitism!

that's a Jewish neighbourhood (now)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

In an internal email sent to hospital staff Tuesday, obtained by CTV News Toronto, Mount Sinai President and CEO Dr. Gary Newton said participants climbed scaffolding on the exterior of the building during a demonstration on University Avenue Monday night.

Speaking with Newstalk 1010 on Tuesday, emergency room physician Dr. Raghu Venugopal said that when he heard what was happening he went down to hospital row with a sign that read, “Leave Mount Sinai Alone.” While he said the protesters had moved on by the time he arrived, it felt important to remind people of the fact that “hospitals are protected grounds, legally in our country.”

Members of Parliament Melissa Lanstman and Marco Mendicino took to social media, posting an image of an individual waving a flag of Palestine, standing on top of the Mount Sinai Hospital entrance, along with a video of a group loudly chanting while one member jumped over a construction barrier at the front of the hospital.

“The mob chose patients, their families, nurses, doctors and all those helping to save lives inside of a hospital. They chose Jews, because it’s Mount Sinai Hospital,” Lanstman wrote.

Wow. It's a miracle any of them are still alive after being targeted by this vicious mob

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That guy climbed everything. He was literally wearing a Spiderman outfit.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I saw that, he also raised the Palestinian flag higher than the Canadian flag in clear violation of 4 U.S.C. § 8

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Mister Speaker posted:

That guy climbed everything. He was literally wearing a Spiderman outfit.

lol this is so loving dumb uhgg

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

usually downtown spidermen are screaming at passerby for taking photos and not paying them

this is an improvement imo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

every protest that gets big enough has at least one guy climbing on random poo poo. if you dont have a climbing guy then you need to get more people out next time

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

the third segment in this where a purple haired 70 year old senior stays in her single family home while some dude in his 30s moves into a retirement home was like catnip for me to rage about

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-379-cost-of-living/clip/16041632-the-nuclear-option

some highlights:
- she says she doesn't have to leave her detached single family home because she has the support of her children and neighbours
- her neighbours mow her lawn and shovel her snow
- spends most of her time in just three rooms
- doesn't want to hang out with other seniors, wants to be around families with kids (this one especially made me choke considering how many people are delaying or not having kids for lack of housing)
- her son wants her to sell and let a nice family have the house but she says she "doesn't want to be in a box"

and i think about how i'm facing eviction, again, from a tiny condo apartment, and how i'll be moving into an even smaller apartment next and my rent will be going up yet another 20-30% and i honestly am trying not to punch the loving wall

On the flip side of this is this article about basically bringing in daycare into a seniors home.

Of course the issue is the cost but imagine a society where we cared more about people's quality of life and development and could provide care for old and young together that enriched them both. The lost art of intergenerational living. It's too bad conservative tradition starts in 1955 and not anytime earlier where this was normal.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Juul-Whip posted:

man, whoever Gerrard Street is named after must have done some really hosed up stuff.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Juul-Whip posted:

Wow. It's a miracle any of them are still alive after being targeted by this vicious mob

Yep, there is no way proper way to protest for Palestine.
Like the loving Prime Minister came out and made a statement condemning this for gently caress's sake.

They did not protest the hospital, they walked past it and climbed some poo poo because that's what people do.

If they had stayed at the Israeli Consulate and not moved an inch it would suddenly be described as a jewish neighbourhood.

More concern for a protest that was there maybe 20 minutes than for every single hospital bombed to rubble in Palestine.
Our representatives are genocidal maniacs.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Halifax’s forever mayor isn’t running again. Gonna be a free for all in October with no clear sucessor.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I suspect Waye Mason will take it if he does end up running. One of the suburban councillors ir rumoured to run too though

The Mayor is mostly ceremonial here though so it doesn't matter that much. If nothing else it means the city won't be paying for Savage to gi around the country begging the CFL to build a stadium anymore lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wait a second... are there any east coast cfl teams?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

infernal machines posted:

wait a second... are there any east coast cfl teams?

furthest east is montreal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i thought so.

man, imagine being too small a market for the cfl

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DaysBefore posted:

The Mayor is mostly ceremonial here though so it doesn't matter that much. If nothing else it means the city won't be paying for Savage to gi around the country begging the CFL to build a stadium anymore lol

what makes you think that's off the table? the municipality needs a cfl ambassador and I know just the guy!

i thought so.

:blessed:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DaysBefore posted:

I suspect Waye Mason will take it if he does end up running. One of the suburban councillors ir rumoured to run too though

I moved away to rural NS but I think Tony Mancini could do well for the city.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

You guys should probably vote in one of the trailer park boys for mayor

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

Yep, there is no way proper way to protest for Palestine.
Like the loving Prime Minister came out and made a statement condemning this for gently caress's sake.

They did not protest the hospital, they walked past it and climbed some poo poo because that's what people do.

If they had stayed at the Israeli Consulate and not moved an inch it would suddenly be described as a jewish neighbourhood.

More concern for a protest that was there maybe 20 minutes than for every single hospital bombed to rubble in Palestine.
Our representatives are genocidal maniacs.

NOW the zionists care about defending hospitals :rolleyes:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

i thought so.

Our extremely wide country makes Canada-wide sports leagues tough. The distance from Montreal to Halifax is farther than the distance from Montreal to Washington DC, so the travel for a Halifax-based CFL team is notably more expensive. Not the biggest budget item, but it's a factor.

I'd love to see the PWHL expand into Western Canada, but at its current budget, they'd probably need a schedule where the West never plays the East outside of playoffs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

Our extremely wide country makes Canada-wide sports leagues tough. The distance from Montreal to Halifax is farther than the distance from Montreal to Washington DC, so the travel for a Halifax-based CFL team is notably more expensive. Not the biggest budget item, but it's a factor.

I'd love to see the PWHL expand into Western Canada, but at its current budget, they'd probably need a schedule where the West never plays the East outside of playoffs.

I believe that’s been suggested for the PWHL and is exactly why it doesn’t have any teams further west than Minnesota. They’re going to add a mostly separate Western Conference all at once when the East is on solid footing in a few years.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Make sure to order an ethnic/religious survey before organizing a protest. You're going to want documentation if you're hauled before a parliamentary committee.

And for g*d's sake keep it down, will you?

https://www.readthemaple.com/is-there-anywhere-left-to-protest-on-gaza-in-canada/

quote:

I want to go through some of the limitations on pro-Palestine protests the establishment has called for, and determine, according to their rules, where it would be acceptable for those concerned about an ongoing genocide to go and say something about it.

1. According to MPs, provincial representatives and city councillors, protesters should not target “Jewish-owned businesses,” regardless of the reason, and even if they have nothing to do with the owner being Jewish.

2. But people also shouldn’t protest or put up signs near “Jewish-owned businesses” or establishments even if they aren’t targeting them, according to politicians from across what constitutes the political spectrum in Canada.

3. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has taken it even further, saying protests shouldn’t be held at places where Jewish people shop, which could be anywhere, so tread carefully.

4. Trudeau also, along with many other politicians, says that protests shouldn’t be held in “Jewish neighbourhoods” or even places where Jewish people live in general. Are you a person, Jewish or otherwise, who wants to protest Israel in your neighbourhood? Too bad!

5. But what about when you go to school? Students at the elementary, secondary and post-secondary levels beware: politicians and others don’t want you to protest on your campuses. There may be students there who feel threatened, after all, so go somewhere else.

6. If protesters want to put pressure on their political representatives in particular, politicians say, don’t do so outside their homes. Do it somewhere more appropriate!

7. But protesters shouldn’t confront politicians at public events, a pro-Israel lobby group says, because they may ruin them for others there.

8. And protesters also shouldn’t do it at their constituency offices, another pro-Israel lobby group states, if they happen to be near any of the places listed above.

Karach has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Feb 14, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

please hold all protests on ellesmere island

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/guilbeault-no-new-roads-1.7114867

No federal money for new roads and highways sounds cool. Already starting to backtrack that statement though and I'm pretty sure provinces actually control most of the road building anyway hence the statements from Ford on the 401 2 or whatever he's doing. Of course if you really wanted to get people out of cars you would rebuild the train network that existed before privatisation and budget cuts. Or make people pay to use roads rather than making them a hidden subsidy to the car industry.

Instead our grand rail plan is the High Frequency Rail line from Windsor-Montreal, which is also going to be privatised. Nice, love voting

*It of course makes sense to focus on the most densely populated region first rather than the Digby-Rimouski Express but still, lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

No federal money for new roads and highways sounds cool. Already starting to backtrack that statement though and I'm pretty sure provinces actually control most of the road building anyway hence the statements from Ford on the 401 2 or whatever he's doing. Of course if you really wanted to get people out of cars you would rebuild the train network that existed before privatisation and budget cuts. Or make people pay to use roads rather than making them a hidden subsidy to the car industry.

Instead our grand rail plan is the High Frequency Rail line from Windsor-Montreal, which is also going to be privatised. Nice, love voting

*It of course makes sense to focus on the most densely populated region first rather than the Digby-Rimouski Express but still, lol

this is meaningless because PP is just going to reverse it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

this is meaningless because PP is just going to reverse it

True and also I expect it will come out in a couple days that it doesn't actually start until after the next election anyway lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

The feds still have to approve a lot of this poo poo, especially environmentally. Which is why this announcement gets Ford in particular annoyed, since his plan for a new giant highway stretches across a ton of protected wetland and the federal government has already announced they're doing an extra-intensive environmental assessment.

It's the same old same old, "people are tired of being stuck bumper to bumper" just one more lane bro just one more lane "people are tired of being stuck bumper to bumper" poo poo. Building new highways like this needs to stop, we need to densify traffic, but a lot of Canadians and their politicians aren't willing to do that at all.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Arivia posted:

The feds still have to approve a lot of this poo poo, especially environmentally. Which is why this announcement gets Ford in particular annoyed, since his plan for a new giant highway stretches across a ton of protected wetland and the federal government has already announced they're doing an extra-intensive environmental assessment.

It's the same old same old, "people are tired of being stuck bumper to bumper" just one more lane bro just one more lane "people are tired of being stuck bumper to bumper" poo poo. Building new highways like this needs to stop, we need to densify traffic, but a lot of Canadians and their politicians aren't willing to do that at all.

to be fair though, discourse around traffic and car dependency has ratcheted up a lot in the past two years, much of it actually common sense. I hesitate to say it, but it does feel like the tide is beginning to turn against our car oriented culture.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sitchensis posted:

to be fair though, discourse around traffic and car dependency has ratcheted up a lot in the past two years, much of it actually common sense. I hesitate to say it, but it does feel like the tide is beginning to turn against our car oriented culture.

I think more people are aware, but to a lot of people it's still a joke idea to ask them to get rid of their car in any respect. And like, the guy in the CBC article about this who is pointing out that most of Canada is rural and sparse and there's no alternative to cars up there is right. Guilbeault spoke poorly, but we're really talking about a change to how people in the dense urban regions of Canada live their lives and how that infrastructure is built, but it's bound up in identity politics and privilege and that makes it a hard sell for many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
My take on the hard sell, is that the environment minister is telling us they won't approve new funding without explaining what he is doing to not need it.

Easy to take funding, but hard to get promises on what he is going to be doing or funding with all the money that won't go to new 16 lane highways.

Basically he just told us bad news without promising tangible good news on infrastructure investments.:rolleyes: why would you do that.