Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

heehee posted:

I feel like whatever team Reaves has been on the last like 5 years has been this lol

Well theres usually a reason they feel the need to sign him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Look Calgary, just retain on Markstrom. It’s what? Two years? Who cares if you get some good pieces and then you can just have Wolf come up and don’t have to worry about salary much anyway.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I hope everyone claps home every empty netter against the Leafs for the rest of time

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matthew Lau: John Tavares the latest victim of Canada's self-defeating tax regime

quote:

The Canada Revenue Agency is chasing John Tavares for $8 million in taxes, including $1.2 million in interest, related to a US$15.3 million (C$21 million) signing bonus he received upon joining the Leafs in 2018 after the expiry of his contract with the New York Islanders. A tax treaty between Canada and the U.S. stipulates that “an inducement to sign an agreement relating to the performance of the services of an athlete” is different from “income from employment” and should not be taxed at more than 15 per cent, but the CRA considers the signing bonus salaried income and is ordering a tax rate of more than 38 per cent. Thus the $8 million legal scrap between the Leafs captain and the tax agency.

Pay your loving taxes John. lol at calling him a victim. Oh no 38% abloobloo I hope every Canadian player trying to avoid taxes with massive signing bonuses gets wrecked.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Performance bonus =/= signing bonus, seems pretty cut and dry

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

Performance bonus =/= signing bonus, seems pretty cut and dry

It's intended to cover signing bonuses too. The reason they're going after him is that his signing bonus isn't an incentive, it's just the entire salary though.

Literally 90% of his contract is paid out as the bonuses. The NHL may allow that for cap manipulation, but someone at the CRA sees what's really going on there.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1757541926385947126

Weekes says 5 games for Rielly.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's intended to cover signing bonuses too. The reason they're going after him is that his signing bonus isn't an incentive, it's just the entire salary though.

Literally 90% of his contract is paid out as the bonuses. The NHL may allow that for cap manipulation, but someone at the CRA sees what's really going on there.

Oh that’s fun, not actually letting millionaires get away on technicalities is refreshing

I’ve stopped trying to guess the formula (cause there isn’t one) but the easy math is Perron got 6 but is a repeat offender, so Rielly gets 5? Kind of anticlimactic tbh

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Hello, yes, I would like a yearly salary of $0.00 and I will be expecting a regular performance bonus of [my annual salary]. This performance bonus is for performing my basic job functions to a satisfactory level. For the ease of accounting, you can pro-rate my bonus for the year and pay it every two weeks. Thank you for your consideration.

E: in lieu of this I would also accept a similarly sized sign-on bonus, which can also be payed out biweekly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He essentially wants the CRA to be bound by the semantics of the NHL CBA and lol good luck with that John.

Edit: The reason he's only fighting the year 1 assessment is because for all further years it's absolutely just salary and his lawyers/accountants know they have no case there. It's not a signing bonus if it's paid annually.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 14, 2024

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
This would have never happened if he hadn’t left the islanders

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Levitate posted:

This would have never happened if he hadn’t left the islanders

Who amongst us wouldn't commit tax fraud to avoid living in Staten Island

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Mike_V posted:

NHL taking a victory lap for setting the trend

https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1757411028013297941

I know the majority of fans won’t care or notice but god drat have jerseys gotten lovely once Reebok took over from CCM and Koho. I hope the players revolt like they did with the edge 1.0 jerseys.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

On the whole wheel of justice thing, has there ever been talk of going to a points system?

Australia’s main two contact sports (AFL and Rugby League) both had similar levels of mystery/unpredictability for suspensions, a while back they changed to a points system where any time a player is reported the offence is graded on a bunch of scales, ie you earn 3 points for an intentional action, one point for a negligent one; another scale for severity of incident and then an extra point for a head (or nuts) shot.

Ie a change is graded as an intentional medium impact head shot for say 6 points, a careless medium impact head shot is 4. You can clearly see why the tribunal suspended one guy for more than the other. Ofcourse there is still plenty to argue about, what is the line between severe and high impact, was something intentional or not. However this is mostly avoided as while the player can dispute it, they get a discount for a ‘early guilty plea’. Which means that unless there is a big difference in opinion re the charge, the player normally accepts.

I think both codes here have had more of a focus of removing violence (commerical investment and youth player numbers) than the NHL does - but it has certainly removed some of the news cycle focus from punches and head shots.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
phil da thrill comin to da nucks baby let's goooo

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Following up but Phil landed in Vancouver today with his sticks and Knights hockey bag. Plan is for him to train in Abbotsford and if things go alright to sign him.

Let’s do it

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I have no idea where Kessel would fit on the Canucks other than a 13th forward but I'm here for it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/capsboybebop/status/1757577763173572690?s=20

lol, lmao

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
skaters these days just don’t know how to take contact. all skill but very very soft

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

If the Thrill signs with the Canucks I'm finally jumping on that bandwagon.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ok which one of you is Bobby McMann

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

.Spec posted:

If the Thrill signs with the Canucks I'm finally jumping on that bandwagon.

Just saw this, makes sense given his history with Tocchet.

https://x.com/ryannovo62/status/1757564910345617719?s=20

Won't be Saaros but would love love Askarov over other old gently caress options

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ovie is back

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://x.com/matt_bove/status/1757592166245757283?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Is that good?

Also lol that Rittich came into tonight’s game with a 1.60 GAA and gave up five on 17 shots in two periods against the Sabres. Incredible.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ovie is back

I'm kind of pissy because that was a bullshit call to get Washington the power play there.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ovie is back

he's gonna score a goal a game for the rest of the season and end with 40 goals again

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

WeaponX posted:

Leafs really can’t help but make themselves look like the most desperate, phoniest tough guy, insecure franchise huh?

It's been a lot of fun watching the Leaf players waxing about how they're showing toughness and are a hard-nosed team.

Does any player see that Reilly play and think, "gee I really shouldn't gently caress with them!"

Now Leafs are without their #1 D for 5 games, while only 4 pts ahead of a Devils team that could very well have Markstrom joining them sooner than later.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Canucks are my west coast team now
Phil is that good and pure

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

The Team of Destiny now

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Someone please post the treliving/reaves gif

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

sleep with the vicious posted:

Someone please post the treliving/reaves gif

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the devils are so back. quote this on thursday when they lose 6-2

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

heehee posted:

phil da thrill comin to da nucks baby let's goooo

Phil the Thrill is my secret favourite other franchise player and so as a Canucks fan I'm absolutely delighted by this.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

I have no idea where Kessel would fit on the Canucks other than a 13th forward but I'm here for it.

Power play?

I assume the first power play will work it out. But if the first injury replacement for a top unit power play is Suter or Garland that’s average at best.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Connor McDavid with a casual 6 assist night.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Dammit I was hoping the Rangers would pick up Phil. Especially since doesn’t his sister work in the organization in some capacity?

Oh well, I’m glad at least SOMEONE is picking him up so we can at least see if it was a dumb decision to pass on him or not

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

haven't watched a single game in months, but slaf good???

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

fancy stats posted:

haven't watched a single game in months, but slaf good???

19 pts in the last 22 games. Not bad!

neoaxd fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Dammit I was hoping the Rangers would pick up Phil. Especially since doesn’t his sister work in the organization in some capacity?

Oh well, I’m glad at least SOMEONE is picking him up so we can at least see if it was a dumb decision to pass on him or not

Amanda Kessel is working for the Penguins as a front office executive.