Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

The Artificial Kid posted:

I’ll take a sociopath saying “for god’s sake don’t let me kill again” over the ones saying “we need to make involuntary euthanasia mandatory so that philanthropists such as myself can continue to enrich the world through slaughter”.

I know Forrest has just seen a way to make money off climate change, but that’s better than actively trying to obfuscate climate change and extend fossil fuel use.

is it though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He's saying if governments don't disincentivise fossil fuel use that any company may continue mining it. If a company vacates fossil fuel while it is profitable and acceptable, then someone else will mine the fossil fuel for the money.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hey can someone link me that one Andrew Bolt comic real quick

You mean my one from... wow, twelve years ago to the month?

Easiest place to read it now is here; somehow it escaped Tumblr's ill-advised "no rude bits" phase:

https://hilaritycomics.tumblr.com/post/131690868792/andrew-bolt-1-2-home-twitter-prints

It's two pages; click 'Next' down the bottom.

WARNING: rude bits

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
*you have to view in desktop mode to see the next button

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What a truly magnificent idea. Just imagine being able to down tools, switch off and tell the management to bugger off (“Crossbench close to workplace deal”).

I would like to propose the right for employers to disconnect staff from their Facebook, Instagram, Superbowl and WhatsApp messages from family and friends during work hours.

And insist that employees do not take their phones to the toilet for extend periods. We lose so much time to staff sitting in the loo on their phones, continually engaging in non work. I once measured one employee’s engagement, and he was losing two hours a day.

Any takers, Albo?

Tom Marinov, Pennant Hills, NSW

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

Billionaire says "Pay me or I will keep doing the poo poo that I know is harming the planet"

fucken sociopaths

Actually that's every business that's demanding subisides for CCS. Forrest is right.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What a truly magnificent idea. Just imagine being able to down tools, switch off and tell the management to bugger off (“Crossbench close to workplace deal”).

I would like to propose the right for employers to disconnect staff from their Facebook, Instagram, Superbowl and WhatsApp messages from family and friends during work hours.

And insist that employees do not take their phones to the toilet for extend periods. We lose so much time to staff sitting in the loo on their phones, continually engaging in non work. I once measured one employee’s engagement, and he was losing two hours a day.

Any takers, Albo?

Oh thank loving Christ this was a quote and not an actual boomer employer goon.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Any takers, Albo?

How's the boot taste Tom?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Twiggy forrest is a massive prick, but he is also legitimately one of best chances for meaningful climate change mitigation efforts in this country. There are plenty of other billionaires to yell at (or other things to yell at Forrest for).

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
God the people that are getting their panties in a twist about the right to disconnect are so petty

Probably the same people that are up in arms about people working from home full time

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Twiggy forrest is a massive prick, but he is also legitimately one of best chances for meaningful climate change mitigation efforts in this country. There are plenty of other billionaires to yell at (or other things to yell at Forrest for).

I prefer buckys delusional posting to this kind.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Non Compos Mentis posted:

God the people that are getting their panties in a twist about the right to disconnect are so petty

Probably the same people that are up in arms about people working from home full time

It makes no difference if your staff are expected to be available for the odd thing as well. The test isn't "is it past 5pm?", it's whether the contact is reasonable.

If you're getting nervous pains when they spray the fuckwit repellant on you, you're probably a fuckwit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/rachelrwithers/status/1757556813648843032

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

He's saying if governments don't disincentivise fossil fuel use that any company may continue mining it. If a company vacates fossil fuel while it is profitable and acceptable, then someone else will mine the fossil fuel for the money.

He's also saying "Carbon Capture is stupid, stop subsidising it you idiots", and he's not wrong

Rougey posted:

I've seen behind the curtain and there are so many designs sitting on shelves collecting dust until there is the political drive and/or money to get them done...

I think part of the problem is that nothing has been attempted on this scale.

All these piecemeal sections can't get enough momentum on their own, so of course they inevitably just gather dust. Bringing them all together like this makes their use-cases exponentially stronger, and gets numbers to a tipping point to make them more viable. It's very easy to say no to this section or that section when they're isolated and don't have a good network backing them up. I guess what I'm saying is that bike paths need to unionise.

It also avoids redundancies of having unnecessary fights for unnecessary paths when there is a superhighway on offer one street over. Get that built, then all roads immediately become 50% more bike friendly.

Imagine if motorways were proposed in 1200 meter sections. That'd gather dust too, because it doesn't make sense. That's the kind of shift in planning perspective we need.

Even that awesome section Journalizard posted, would be way more effective if people knew they could then safely and comfortably continue in all three directions along the trainline at Lidcombe, all the way along the M4, and past the (very cool) cemetery down to the Cooks River. But yeah, getting out of Olympic Park to the south was always going to be one of the trickier / more ambitious parts, so I'm very glad to see that's already getting sorted.

Anidav posted:

I use the Brisbane Velocity 1 super bike highway

20 km of this, for $22 million? Seems like a pretty good deal, compared to the $50 million NSW spent on two basically useless bridges.

And for the record that kind of thing is only about 1% of what I'm talking about, the rest is just using vacant space on the ground.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

would you care to explain this?

Sure, not enough superhighway of course:

quote:

My friend, please, take a breather at one of our fancy new Superhighway Service Stops. We have shelter, water, seats, basic repair facilities, possibly a toilet and maybe even a built-in chin up bar.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't know anything about carbon capture. Is it that dumbass "sea dumping" thing the ALP did last year?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

"We're going to keep burning fossil fuels and somehow magically get rid of the carbon down into the ground where there is no proof that it will stay there, but heaps of proof that it fails"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

I don't know anything about carbon capture. Is it that dumbass "sea dumping" thing the ALP did last year?

Literally sucking it out of the air and compressing it underground in empty gas/oil wells.

Unless we invent cold fusion 10 years ago, CCS as it is known is not going to achieve any kind of meaningful reduction in carbon. It's hugely energy intensive.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

JBP posted:

It's that tech from Star Wars that captured Han Solo in carbon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah here's a quick video about CO2 capture and how it's technically feasible on a small scale but it's currently MUCH too expensive to be worthwhile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dRgCsZ1q7g

It's pretty certain that we'll have to implement it at some point in the future but there needs to be a LOT of research and development into the relevant technologies before it can happen at a meaningful scale

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

You mean my one from... wow, twelve years ago to the month?

Easiest place to read it now is here; somehow it escaped Tumblr's ill-advised "no rude bits" phase:

https://hilaritycomics.tumblr.com/post/131690868792/andrew-bolt-1-2-home-twitter-prints

It's two pages; click 'Next' down the bottom.

WARNING: rude bits

Yes that's it thank you, I actually looked on your site but yeah

mostly because i saw this on the side of a bus today and was having a giggle with a mate about it

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Instead of a carbon tax, I'd like to propose what I'm going to call the 'Carbon Bounty'. The government determines the major sources of carbon and publishes a list. To incentivize companies to reduce their carbon footprint we will not tax them so that they find less carbon intensive alternatives, or encourage customers to seek cheaper, carbon free choices. We won't pay the companies to reduce their carbon output. Instead, any company placed on the Carbon Bounty list will also come with the name, address, and pictures of their executive leadership teams. Monetary values will be assigned to the executives based on their position within the company and the carbon output of the company.

Bring the bounty in dead or alive and you get the value of the bounty. It both provides a powerful incentive to stop choosing cheaper, dirtier, more carbon intensive options, and provides an entirely new revenue stream for the workers. Scared of losing your job at the coal mine if we bring in a carbon tax? Don't worry, simply tag and bag your boss and you'll be set for life. After a few dozen executives I'd hope the problem will sort itself out.

Not sure what we do if they bring the bounty in alive, force them to plant trees every day until they've made themselves carbon neutral?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
god she has a bad face

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes that's it thank you, I actually looked on your site but yeah

mostly because i saw this on the side of a bus today and was having a giggle with a mate about it

The stream is piss.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

god she has a bad face

i figured it out, she has the sunfruits face but stretched vertically

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm sure Forrest wants to make money off solutions, but he's been loud about needing to reduce carbon emissions for ages and I think genuinely does believe in climate change being a massive threat we need to address.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Senor Tron posted:

I'm sure Forrest wants to make money off solutions, but he's been loud about needing to reduce carbon emissions for ages and I think genuinely does believe in climate change being a massive threat we need to address.

The opposition to it is as dumb as the nimby left that oppose increased housing supply because someone might make a profit in building it along the way. Absolute braindead poo poo.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

god she has a bad face

She’s like a Vogon that went to an elite prep school.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Artificial Kid posted:

She’s like a Vogon that went to an elite prep school.

That's actually Gina Rhinehart.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/patbcaruana/status/1757878261370241031

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

hooman posted:

That's actually Gina Rhinehart.

The globe is sadly groaning with debt, poverty and strife
And billions now are pleading to enjoy a better life
Their hope lies with resources buried deep within the earth
And the enterprise and capital which give each project worth
Is our future threatened with massive debts run up by political hacks
Who dig themselves out by unleashing rampant tax
The end result is sending Australian investment, growth and jobs offshore
This type of direction is harmful to our core
Some envious unthinking people have been conned
To think prosperity is created by waving a magic wand
Through such unfortunate ignorance, too much abuse is hurled
Against miners, workers and related industries who strive to build the world
Develop North Australia, embrace multiculturalism and welcome short term foreign workers to our shores
To benefit from the export of our minerals and ores
The world's poor need our resources: do not leave them to their fate
Our nation needs special economic zones and wiser government, before it is too late

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I'm pretty loving furious at the design of the new airport. We’re going to all that effort to build this whole new thing, putting in miles of metros and motorways and a metropolis around it, and you’re only building one runway, with a single-sided, linear, seven gate terminal?

Could have had scalable capacity for centuries, instead we're shooting ourselves in the foot with half-assed poo poo again. Just no forward planning whatsoever.

Well, there was some forward planning at some point, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of it left today.

This is a cool video of some of the metro construction though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGyo1ix9h80

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We need to get Bucky into trains.

https://twitter.com/timothyjweber/status/1757932766954729924

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Create the perfect airport Bucky, go on you can do it!

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Bucky Fullminster: That infrastructure looks a little…ill-considered [unzips]

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I'm pretty loving furious at the design of the new airport. We’re going to all that effort to build this whole new thing, putting in miles of metros and motorways and a metropolis around it, and you’re only building one runway, with a single-sided, linear, seven gate terminal?

Could have had scalable capacity for centuries, instead we're shooting ourselves in the foot with half-assed poo poo again. Just no forward planning whatsoever.

Well, there was some forward planning at some point, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of it left today.

This is a cool video of some of the metro construction though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGyo1ix9h80

From the official FAQ:

quote:

Why will western Sydney airport open with only one runway?

Aircraft need to take off and land into the wind. Airports that have cross runways are in areas with variable wind conditions, so they can keep operating, even if the wind direction changes.

Wind conditions at the Western Sydney International site have been observed over several decades and have been found to be far more predictable. Generally, they vary much less, which means aircraft will be able to land in most local wind conditions, so we don’t need a cross runway.

However, there are plans to build a second parallel runway around the 2050s, when the airport grows and there is increased demand. Until then, one runway is all Western Sydney International needs.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

For gently caress’s sake

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Bucky can you put your energy into getting high speed rail on the newcastle line

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Better airports have already been done a bunch of times, and I don't think this is really fixable at this stage, I just found myself down this particular little rabbit-hole and needed a bit of a vent.

A local airport network would be pretty cool though. There's a bunch of them scattered around. More of a gimmick for individuals rather than a solution for the masses of course, but hey, still a Thing worth preserving if we can.

Amethyst posted:

From the official FAQ:

However, there are plans to build a second parallel runway around the 2050s, when the airport grows and there is increased demand. Until then, one runway is all Western Sydney International needs.

Have fun spending more billions on rebuilding the terminal and doing it all over again then.

If you expect one runway and seven gates to be a strong enough business case for all the economic development that defines the entire nature of this whizz-bang western metropolis thing, I ain't buying it. If it requires this much effort and expenditure, it needs to bring more capacity to the table. Happy to be wrong though, this isn't a hill I'm dying on.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Better airports have already been done a bunch of times, and I don't think this is really fixable at this stage, I just found myself down this particular little rabbit-hole and needed a bit of a vent.

A local airport network would be pretty cool though. There's a bunch of them scattered around. More of a gimmick for individuals rather than a solution for the masses of course, but hey, still a Thing worth preserving if we can.

Have fun spending more billions on rebuilding the terminal and doing it all over again then.

If you expect one runway and seven gates to be a strong enough business case for all the economic development that defines the entire nature of this whizz-bang western metropolis thing, I ain't buying it. If it requires this much effort and expenditure, it needs to bring more capacity to the table. Happy to be wrong though, this isn't a hill I'm dying on.

The point is that one runway can already handle a lot of air traffic. Any cross runway you see at other airports doesn't count when you are comparing this airport to those (can't be used at the same time). Terminals have a lifespan as well and I would think that it would need major rebuild in 2050's in any event. Second (and third, etc) would (all) be parallel runways for the same logic as why a single is sufficient and likely don't need to move or rebuild the terminal anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

Happy to be wrong though, this isn't a hill I'm dying on.

There's a first time for everything.