Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

99pct of germs posted:

First am I wrong for being bothered by the soldered memory? I typically get 3-5 years out of my laptops, I just want to know if onboard has legs compared to SODIMM.

Is ram failing after a few years a thing that happens with any regularity? I actually don't know and am curious about this as well. I know a few MacBooks have had issues with soldered ssd's but I don't really hear much about onboard ram going bad. I've got machines with 10-15 year old ram and that memory still works. I guess that might be an apples-oranges kind of comparison though.

Worst case scenario I guess you'd have to find someone that does component level repair to re-ball some new chips onto the main board if anything goes wrong after the warranty expires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

99pct of germs posted:

First am I wrong for being bothered by the soldered memory? I typically get 3-5 years out of my laptops, I just want to know if onboard has legs compared to SODIMM. And while $1400 seems pretty good is it worth waiting for a sale or do I risk it being memory-holed for the 2024 version?

I haven't looked at the detailed specs of that model but soldered ram can usually achieve higher speeds and iirc low power ram can't be socketed at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If the Ram is soldered it prevents the most common problem of loose seating and contacts burning out (or rather it makes it so if it will burn out it'll do it in the first dozen hours). Past that the failure rate of RAM has to be miniscule these days, again after the initial use. In particular I'd say the last 8-10 years have seen an improvement in QC in this area.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Apple soldering storage is a problem because that's a wear item. It doesn't help that they don't use the highest endurance flash and their stingy defaults mean a lot of people run with high usage levels.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Lockback posted:

Write up a review when you get it. I'm still a ways from my next one but I'm between another G14 or going with the 14" legion

Gonna be a little bit, earliest was March 8th. But I pulled the trigger, got it for just under $1500 after taxes. I'll definitely report back though!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

Is ram failing after a few years a thing that happens with any regularity?

Based on my very limited experience, no

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Any reccomendations for a general laptop? Refurbished preferred and hopefully on Amazon cause it's easier to return if there's a problem. Price range is 300 350 ish bucks

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
RAM seldom fails anymore. That said, it certainly does fail. Soldered on chips aren't impossible to replace. You are however, truly hosed for choice if you need to replace any soldered on ram, since you can't really tell which module died, you've got to replace all the modules. I suspect you can tell somehow, but I'm not sure how.

Also figure out why it died before anything. My general approach is to gamble with a dead donor board on eBay, pull the ram, any controllers nearby and the power supply for the ram and transfer everything over.

I have done this on two computers, ever. Both of them expensive macs. They both worked fine. I've done similar things with VRAM waaaaay more on the PC side, usually on a lenovo. Or loving razer.

buffbus posted:

Apple soldering storage is a problem because that's a wear item. It doesn't help that they don't use the highest endurance flash and their stingy defaults mean a lot of people run with high usage levels.

Yep, and they put the ssd controllers right next to the air intake "vents" on the left and right sides, essentially guaranteeing that moist air is sucked directly onto the buck controller for the 2.5v power supply. That power supply is a ball grid array (BGA) chip and the tiny little balls that feed a gentle 2.5v directly into the ssd are a fraction of a millimeter apart from the big bad 20v main power rail it uses as it's source.

Imagine you're a nice soggy piece of bagel or whatever that gets sucked up the vent, your chances of hitting this tiny little gap between the balls (lol) turns out to be about 100% given enough time and goony enough cave/wet backpack (macs crash in their sleep lol)

If you have a macbook pro 15" between 2016 - 2021(?) you have this issue. Or will have. Or already had.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

thehandtruck posted:

Any reccomendations for a general laptop? Refurbished preferred and hopefully on Amazon cause it's easier to return if there's a problem. Price range is 300 350 ish bucks

Best bet would be a thinkpad or something from the past few years. Otherwise there's nothing I'd particularly recommend. Would a chromebook be a good fit for you?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

thehandtruck posted:

Probook 440 g9 (or g8)
Latitude 5490

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Lockback posted:

Best bet would be a thinkpad or something from the past few years. Otherwise there's nothing I'd particularly recommend. Would a chromebook be a good fit for you?

I was reading up on them a little, I've never used one and have no feelings one way or the other. I kind of just want a decent screen, I like the IPS's on mac's but I don't want to shell out of for those nor do I care about anything else those offer. I have an IPS desktop monitor and it's a pretty striking difference between laptops I've had. But price is more important/limiting than the screen, and I just wanna youtube in 1080p without stuttering.

edit: lol thought I'd mention that my backup laptop is a toshiba tecra z-40b. it's really funny and annoying to use because the viewing angle is less than is humanly possible. so there is no angle in which the whole screen is "in focus" at the same time. it's awesome. they're 50 bucks on ebay and if you want to burn 50 bucks to annoy yourself and have a laugh at the same time I highly recommend it

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 11, 2024

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

thehandtruck posted:

I was reading up on them a little, I've never used one and have no feelings one way or the other. I kind of just want a decent screen, I like the IPS's on mac's but I don't want to shell out of for those nor do I care about anything else those offer. I have an IPS desktop monitor and it's a pretty striking difference between laptops I've had. But price is more important/limiting than the screen, and I just wanna youtube in 1080p without stuttering.

edit: lol thought I'd mention that my backup laptop is a toshiba tecra z-40b. it's really funny and annoying to use because the viewing angle is less than is humanly possible. so there is no angle in which the whole screen is "in focus" at the same time. it's awesome. they're 50 bucks on ebay and if you want to burn 50 bucks to annoy yourself and have a laugh at the same time I highly recommend it

I’m quoting my own post earlier in the thread so you can see it but I grabbed a used Thinkpad back in September and I’m still very happy with my decision.

Every Thinkpad I’ve used has been brilliant, and they are just a cut above every other business machine I’ve used, and blow typical consumer laptops out the water. Once you decide on the model you want you’ll have to search around a bit to find one with the spec you want, but there’s lots of ex-corporate machines out they’re and they’re not expensive.

There’s a number of different models that will be suitable depending on your intended use:

• T - good all rounders and the most common in the corporate space.
  • X - Ultraportable. Small, very thin and very light. No slouch but power is sacrificed in exchange for portability and excellent battery life.
  • P - Powerful workstations. Lots of power and are bigger and heavier than other models. Probably not what you’ll want if it’s for light use.
  • E - Entry level models and much like downgraded T series. They’re missing some high end features but are still great machines.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Pulled the trigger and it arrived earlier today.

Refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad X280, with an i5 8350u, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Pro and the FHD 1080p IPS screen. Battery still has 91% capacity remaining which is pretty impressive all things considered. Including 2 day shipping and a 1 year RTB warranty it was £179.99, and with the coupon code eBay gave me it came to £161.99 all in.

For the price I think I got a lot of computer for not a lot of money, so I'm very happy.

Something else I should mention as well that Thinkpads are designed to be user serviceable and there are comprehensive guides and end user instructions. I don’t know what parts availability is like for my model but my Lenovo Legion has just about everything bar the motherboard purchasable with full instructions.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 11, 2024

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

down1nit posted:

Yep, and they put the ssd controllers right next to the air intake "vents" on the left and right sides, essentially guaranteeing that moist air is sucked directly onto the buck controller for the 2.5v power supply. That power supply is a ball grid array (BGA) chip and the tiny little balls that feed a gentle 2.5v directly into the ssd are a fraction of a millimeter apart from the big bad 20v main power rail it uses as it's source.

Imagine you're a nice soggy piece of bagel or whatever that gets sucked up the vent, your chances of hitting this tiny little gap between the balls (lol) turns out to be about 100% given enough time and goony enough cave/wet backpack (macs crash in their sleep lol)

If you have a macbook pro 15" between 2016 - 2021(?) you have this issue. Or will have. Or already had.

Love to have my flash storage chips burned out because a $2.9 trillion market cap company could not design a motherboard that avoids bridging two very different voltage rails. :psyduck:

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Mental Hospitality posted:

Is ram failing after a few years a thing that happens with any regularity?
I dislike soldered RAM and storage because the upgrade limitations. First thing I do with a new laptop is swap the SSD to something bigger/faster, the option to upgrade the RAM in the future is nice if you try to get more than 2-3 years out of a laptop. The soldered 8gb in my last laptop was not enough for the last 4-5 years but I lived with it, I would have upgraded to 16gb years ago if it was an option.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Lord Ludikrous posted:

• T - good all rounders and the most common in the corporate space.
  • X - Ultraportable. Small, very thin and very light. No slouch but power is sacrificed in exchange for portability and excellent battery life.
  • P - Powerful workstations. Lots of power and are bigger and heavier than other models. Probably not what you’ll want if it’s for light use.
  • E - Entry level models and much like downgraded T series. They’re missing some high end features but are still great machines.

Also, some less common or variant models:
T14s - Slimmer than a T14 so it has to have soldered memory (at least one slot), but a bit thicker still and a lot cheaper than an X13.
P14s/P16s - Thicker than a T14, so it can have a smartcard reader and an Ethernet port. Still too thin to have high-wattage processors or discrete graphics like the big P16.
L - similar feature set to T but a little cheaper, a little chunkier (like the P+s series), and without some of the higher end screen options.
Z - Like X, but AMD and with 'green' material options - 6000-generation only.
Titanium/Nano - Thin 12" models even smaller than X, these use low-wattage processors. Limited generation set - not sure if these are still being produced.
Thinkpad Yoga - Like X, but convertible via a 360 degree hinge.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 11, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

99pct of germs posted:

After a lot of looking and researching I think I finally settled on the 14'' Legion Slim 5 with Ryzen 7 7840S, RTX 4060, 32GB RAM and an OLED screen. It's checking all of my boxes: lowkey design, portable, nice build quality, beautiful display, great battery life, great gaming performance for what I would play.

The only thing bothering me is the RAM is soldered, and you can only get the 32GB configuration directly from Lenovo. It totals around $1400 USD.

First am I wrong for being bothered by the soldered memory? I typically get 3-5 years out of my laptops, I just want to know if onboard has legs compared to SODIMM. And while $1400 seems pretty good is it worth waiting for a sale or do I risk it being memory-holed for the 2024 version?

Where did you find a Legion Slim 5 with 32GB ram and a 4060 for $1400?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/configurator/cto/index.html?bundleId=82Y5CTO1WWUS1

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

There's a month+ long lead time though. I picked expedited shipping to get it by March 8th only to have them update my order to March 18th now. Whoops!

edit: Specifically for the 32GB model.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Huh. I actually checked lenovo's site before posting, and I completely missed the build-your-own option.

That said, why don't they offer 32GB ram with a 4070? Does it cost that much to standardize on additional variant with what is essentially a swappable graphics card?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Huh. I actually checked lenovo's site before posting, and I completely missed the build-your-own option.

That said, why don't they offer 32GB ram with a 4070? Does it cost that much to standardize on additional variant with what is essentially a swappable graphics card?

I don't think the slim 14" offers a 4070 at all, but it probably comes down into what board are available. The 4070 is not really a very big step up from the 4060 anyway, so (personally) I don't think it's worth trying to step up unless the price is really close.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I'm wondering why the Ryzen 9 variant doesn't have a 32GB option for memory.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

99pct of germs posted:

I'm wondering why the Ryzen 9 variant doesn't have a 32GB option for memory.

i played around w the configurator and was curious abt that myself

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
wow that's a huge misstep.

it's not just out of stock, it just doesn't exist it seems.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I think if they’re temporarily unavailable they just take them off the website. My Legion 7 Slim for example isn’t on there anymore, and the last generation version is listed for more than the base price that mine was at.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, the site shifts around based on availability. So if they are limited for whatever reason it just won't show. I don't think that means the SKU won't ever exist.

I'm not a big fan of their website but the price is frequently really good.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
OK that makes more sense, thanks. Still an odd choice from my/our perspective.

Maybe it's just a bad marketing decision, maybe it's a excellent one for them. Good to know at least.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
My wife has an old XPS 13 (model version 9343) with a 5th Gen mobile i3 and 4 GB of memory. It's finally getting a little too long on the tooth for her uses (mostly office productivity type stuff). If she ends up wanted to replace replace it for a similar size aluminum body Windows machine in the 13-14" range, is the XPS line still the only good option or are there options to shop around on in similar price range? I don't have a budget yet because she isn't willing to admit it's time to buy, but I want to get the lay of the land.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Danhenge posted:

My wife has an old XPS 13 (model version 9343) with a 5th Gen mobile i3 and 4 GB of memory. It's finally getting a little too long on the tooth for her uses (mostly office productivity type stuff). If she ends up wanted to replace replace it for a similar size aluminum body Windows machine in the 13-14" range, is the XPS line still the only good option or are there options to shop around on in similar price range? I don't have a budget yet because she isn't willing to admit it's time to buy, but I want to get the lay of the land.

Vivobook's have some 14" aluminum body options and those are very good laptops for far less than an XPS on average. Razer, but those are super expensive. HP has some good aluminum body too.

Consumer laptops are much better now than when you got that laptop, A Vivobook or HP will be really solid these days.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Lockback posted:

Vivobook's have some 14" aluminum body options and those are very good laptops for far less than an XPS on average. Razer, but those are super expensive. HP has some good aluminum body too.

Consumer laptops are much better now than when you got that laptop, A Vivobook or HP will be really solid these days.

I've got an aluminum body Zenbook that I bought about four years ago and it's still running strong. Bought my parents a Vivobook a couple years ago that they like. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Asus. Awfully nice/reliable laptops for the price.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

T14 Thinkpad seems to have a good stiff frame as well. I have no clue what it's made off. Assuming you don't need a dGPU for office work, you wouldn't need to spend XPS money on one of those either.

Overall pretty happy with it. 8 hours of Worms Armageddon or 7 hours of Red Alert 2 on battery will do me fine.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
You can find the frame material in the spec sheet, which Lenovo refers to as a PSREF. If I check the page for the T14 g4 it says the bottom is PPS (fiberglass) and the top is either aluminum (silver) or carbon fiber hybrid (black).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Eletriarnation posted:

You can find the frame material in the spec sheet, which Lenovo refers to as a PSREF. If I check the page for the T14 g4 it says the bottom is PPS (fiberglass) and the top is either aluminum (silver) or carbon fiber hybrid (black).
It's an interesting site i didn't know about. I have a gen 2, but same difference. I haven't opened up too many laptops in the last decade, so I don't know if this is a relevant distinction anymore, but I'd argue those are the materials of the shell, not necessarily the frame. Though I can imagine this thing being monocoque or whatever you'd call it.

E: I may definitely have been misunderstanding what people in general mean when they talk about a laptop's frame for a long time.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Nah you're fine. It's all just language vagueness. There's parts that are glued on to the carbon fiber underside that stiffen it. Those are magnesium alloy usually. Or stainless. Sometimes just more plastic. There's a couple things you should really care about if you want a good frame:

The most important thing, and you really need to trust me on this, is do you like it? Second is does it feel good to type and track on?

That's basically all the thought you need to give if you're not getting cheap consumer poo poo. Most companies have figured out the body design. That said, read more for more info.

Consider while reading about materials, that the device is designed to be assembled completely and correctly. Usually to pretty specific torque, sandwiching many layers together. Blah blah holistic. Modern laptops absolutely use the motherboard itself to aid in flex. Thick motherboards have better heat properties too, sometimes. You can't really tell anymore what's inside without really pulling poo poo apart. There's an otherwise really nicely designed XPS that just eats it's own hinges up. The glued frame wasn't enough to stand up to the core i7 6th gen heat output.

Adding another layer again gives you the glorious bottom cover. The bottom cover on many cheaper or midrange laptops is quite well designed to very securely anchor everything, and is often vital to the flex of entire design, no matter what's inside. Touch your bottom cover, chances are it's of same or even higher quality than other parts of your laptop. Some really nice laptops the cover is just a cover, since the whole thing is aluminum or whatnot (apple, some xps, etc)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

32GB legion slim 5 14.5" $1140
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/922759

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

drat, could have saved a couple hundred bucks. Oh well

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

99pct of germs posted:

drat, could have saved a couple hundred bucks. Oh well

Yeah happens. You could try a hail mary with legion support to see if they'll meet you halfway or something. I wouldn't hold my breath,

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
This seems like a pretty good deal at the $550 sale price, yeah? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pav...ID=0&mpid=10451

Reviews seem to indicate that the battery life isn't incredible, but is still acceptable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Best buy has that legion with 16GB RAM for $80 cheaper. The RAM is soldered though. For games I think you'll be fine at that performance envelope for a while BUT I know I'll personally would not want to be stuck at 16GB of I could avoid it.

Danhenge posted:

This seems like a pretty good deal at the $550 sale price, yeah? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pav...ID=0&mpid=10451

Reviews seem to indicate that the battery life isn't incredible, but is still acceptable.

Yeah, that's pretty good at that price.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
so jealous of that aspect ratio lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

16:9 is such a cursed ratio