Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Coldforge posted:

Are you suggesting that if players on offense knew they should score touchdowns instead of a fieldgoals, they would play better?

I don't think they're emotionless automatons who are able to maintain a perfectly efficient 100% level of intensity and effort for 100% of the time they're on the field, and that things like knowing the overtime strategy as well as potential losing sscenarios could help them put the drive into perspective. have you ever heard of getting "pumped up," it's like that. if they knew the situation, they might play better

yall eggheads really don't understand that it's people playing the game, not robots. have you ever played sports? if so, then how could you not understand this incredibly basic concept that even 6 year olds grasp intuitively

e: but when we get down to it I'm sure that even with a touchdown Kyle wouldn't have gone for 2, so there's a very good chance it wouldn't have mattered in the end. I concede the point with reservations

indigi fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

I don't think they're emotionless automatons who are able to maintain a perfectly efficient 100% level of intensity and effort for 100% of the time they're on the field, and that things like knowing the overtime strategy as well as potential losing sscenarios could help them put the drive into perspective. have you ever heard of getting "pumped up," it's like that. if they knew the situation, they might play better

Under the regular overtime rules they are used to they would have wanted to score a touchdown. Under the regular overtime rules they are used to they would have wanted to stop the Chiefs or force them to kick a field goal.

As the game played out there's no difference to the player on the field going on here.

I mean is it dumb? Probably. Did it matter? Not at all.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

indigi posted:

yall eggheads really don't understand that it's people playing the game, not robots. have you ever played sports? if so, then how could you not understand this incredibly basic concept that even 6 year olds grasp intuitively

e: but when we get down to it I'm sure that even with a touchdown Kyle wouldn't have gone for 2, so there's a very good chance it wouldn't have mattered in the end. I concede the point with reservations

Sorry bro, I didn't realize you were just built like that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/PghSteelersNow/status/1757133159697694769

If you're a good coach but you're also this completely clueless when it comes to being able to get/evaluate QBs, you simply aren't a good coach.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

In 2021 after the Steelers Lions tie there were a spate of articles about how some Lions and Steelers players didn’t even know the game could end in a tie. Players are often ignorant of the minutiae of rules that govern game situations that they have never encountered, especially when the NFL keeps changing the rules. Mostly it just doesn’t matter if every players knows all of the rules and what the strategy is, as long as the coaches and key players know and communicate what’s expected.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
and if there's any team in the league that would know the current playoff/superbowl OT rules of course it would be the Chiefs. They've been in the SB 4 out of the last 5 years and have had a number of playoff games go to OT.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Relentlessboredomm posted:

and if there's any team in the league that would know the current playoff/superbowl OT rules of course it would be the Chiefs. They've been in the SB 4 out of the last 5 years and have had a number of playoff games go to OT.

the chiefs coaching clearly goes beyond coloured piss charts showing how good a team mate you are.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The piss chart but run/pass balance and 80/20 says you are a bad dude

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mcmagic posted:

If you're a good coach but you're also this completely clueless when it comes to being able to get/evaluate QBs, you simply aren't a good coach.

Fields could be a good player if coached properly as there is no magic player that’s going to go into Chicago and be good

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

Okay but what does this have to do with Justin Fields?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fields is going to go to the steelers and be a top 10 qb that dominates the regular season, and loses in the wildcard maybe sometimes is the divisional round sacrifice to mahomes.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

indigi posted:

It's OVERTIME IN THE MOTHERFUCKING SUPER BOWL. Who isn't at max adrenaline already?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

really queer Christmas posted:

Fields is going to go to the steelers and be a top 10 qb that dominates the regular season, and loses in the wildcard maybe sometimes is the divisional round sacrifice to mahomes.

Ravens and Steelers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

pseudodragon posted:

It's OVERTIME IN THE MOTHERFUCKING SUPER BOWL. Who isn't at max adrenaline already?

according to players and coaches the team assumed they would get a third possession. that was their strategy. lmao

feller
Jul 5, 2006

they knew letting the chiefs score a touchdown was bad and would lose the game lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I could be misremembering but the 49ers offense wasn't on the field at that point

feller
Jul 5, 2006

what? I have no idea what you're about at this point. In every permutation fo the OT rules I can remember, the chiefs scoring a TD at that point in OT wins the game for them. If they don't score a TD, the niners get that third possession and have a chance to win.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

indigi posted:

according to players and coaches the team assumed they would get a third possession. that was their strategy. lmao

Just take the L man, you don’t need to do this all offseason.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/normcharlatan/status/1757407346924322904

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Just take the L man, you don’t need to do this all offseason.

they played it safe, didnt go for it on 4th down, and most importantly: lost the game because of it. you are defending losers 😂

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you don't have to be a hot take artist. it's okay. stay in your lane oomfie

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The fourth down where they actually should've gone for it was the Q4 4th and 4 inside 2-minute warning when they settled for the FG and 3-pt lead. The way they handled overtime was fine enough.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

indigi posted:

they played it safe, didnt go for it on 4th down, and most importantly: lost the game because of it. you are defending losers 😂

Juszczyk thought that if they scored a TD on the first possession they would have won the game, misunderstanding the rules would have lead to them playing with more urgency, not less. Knowing that the other team gets a possession no matter what lessens the impact of scoring a TD on the first possession.

But also the fullback not understanding the rules doesn’t matter and of course the offense is going to try and score a loving touchdown in overtime in the Super Bowl, what’s wrong with your brain.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
none of this seems particularly egregious, yea shanahan could and should be more aggressive but he’s still playing against Mahomes. At some point you have to actually get a stop at the end of the game.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
There is absolutely no point in engaging with indigi on this. They are not posting to talk to you.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

rjmccall posted:

There is absolutely no point in engaging with indigi on this. They are not posting to talk to you.

Fair

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

rjmccall posted:

cmon man

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

rjmccall posted:

that's fair i'm not a nonbinary 18 year old

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

Did some forums drama just get dropped

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Declan MacManus posted:

do you promise

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Stop being weirdos

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Tbh I'm not sure how much it matters who gets the ball first. If the 49ers get a TD, then stop the Chiefs then it's game over anyway. Instead they got a FG and failed to stop them, so :shrug:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Chiefs were planning to go for two if both sides scored TDs, so 49ers were never going to get the ball regardless, and probably would've been caught off-guard by the Chiefs being so aggressive.

It's all moot of course, but not like there's anything else to talk about.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I get this reasoning. Like I understand it and thankful they went with it but yeah don't agree with it

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
It seems p obvious to me that the 49ers OT plan was to win on the TD/FG and hold them to a FG and win it on the 3rd possession if needed which makes enough sense given how 99% of the game went up until that point. I dont think its some slam dunk on Shanahan being bad or whatever hyperbolic statements are getting tossed around. They just had a defensive meltdown. I feel like the idea of trying to "ice" Mahomes also factored into this rather than letting him drive down the field back to back. poo poo happens

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1757552481863651708?t=4ThqnSnpuONp6YPJev_hvg&s=19

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Mega64 posted:

The Chiefs were planning to go for two if both sides scored TDs, so 49ers were never going to get the ball regardless, and probably would've been caught off-guard by the Chiefs being so aggressive.

It's all moot of course, but not like there's anything else to talk about.

That only matters if both teams score touchdowns. There are a ton of variables where that third possession could matter. Both teams are forced to kick field goals. SF and KC both score a touchdown and when going for two, KC gets a penalty which makes going for it a bad idea. Okay, there are two outcomes, but that doesn't change the fact that accepting the kick is a viable option.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Secret recipe for Chiefs sustained success is to hire a geriatric DC so nobody will want to poach him.

Dick Lebeau was an awesome permanent former HC turned DC for 15 years

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

One of the Lions real superpowers this year was knowing on 1st down if they were going to go for it on 4th down.

Really allows the full playbook to be explored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1757842728069501205?t=XkCdXgIxYGcpOGEh11MKUw&s=19