Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Black Noise posted:

No witnesses No Problems. Clean up your mess adventurer. Evidence can be shoved into nearby containers!

Also what the guy below said. Probably leave the traders alone though until its the finale.

I walked around for a bit and no one aggrod on me, am I probably safe to keep talking to people, or will someone eventually spot the bodies? I went downstairs to the prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I walked in and slaughtered the tower indiscriminately bc I felt like it, but for what it's worth, an NPC that gives you a stat boost didn't aggro and gave it to me.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
The thing about living in the headquarters of a death cult is that you see a lot of poo poo, man, and you learn to stop asking questions. That body, over there? How are you supposed to know if a rogue Harper got in here, or if it was your boss's doing, or her boss, or his boss, who encourages random people to kill him all the drat time? Just keep your head down, man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There is indeed a ridiculous amount of content in Act 1 alone. I was in the Underdark for hours and remembered "Oh, yeah, the goblin leaders."

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

OzFactor posted:

The thing about living in the headquarters of a death cult is that you see a lot of poo poo, man, and you learn to stop asking questions. That body, over there? How are you supposed to know if a rogue Harper got in here, or if it was your boss's doing, or her boss, or his boss, who encourages random people to kill him all the drat time? Just keep your head down, man.

I totally forgot about the multiple instances of people in that place killing people for you while no one bats an eye

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love that all the Bhaal cultists carry like four daggers on them at all times. It always makes me smile.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Trevor Hale posted:

I totally forgot about the multiple instances of people in that place killing people for you while no one bats an eye

The only thing that got people to bat an eye at me was allowing the goblins to leave

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

rojay posted:

If you are asking what the best feat is, there is no question that it is Alert. If you take that feat on a character, that character will almost always act before the enemy and will never be surprised. If that character has 14 or higher dexterity, it it will go first in every encounter in the game.

There are feats that will maximize your damage or give you defenses or other really neat stuff, but going first in every combat is much better than any of those things and it's not even close.

You may be thinking, "but this feat is going to add +2 to my chance to hit and +10 damage, why is that not better?" The answer is that if all of your characters get to act before the enemies, those bonuses are overkill; you don't need them to wipe every enemy in your first turn or, at the very least, to set your characters up to win the combat in a turn or two more just by using spacing and crowd control spells.

It would be a decent feat to take if they used a D20 for initiative, but as things stand, it's completely overpowered. I took it on four characters in my run, basically everyone in my "standard" party except Shadowheart, and she was usually high up in the initiative order because she had a magically-enhanced dexterity of 18.

I was moreso just wondering which were the recommended feats. Monathin did a write up on the feats in the previous thread, but that was from October, so I didn't know if any of the patches since then buffed/nerfed any of the feats.

I took Alert on my PC, but I think that's it. Gale, Wyll, and Shadowheart have Durable, Lae'zel has Tavern Brawler, Astarion has Sharpshooter, and Karlach has Savage Attacker. I don't think I've actually had Halsin join the party yet, so he might be due for some.

I thought Tough would be a good pick for the whole party, since it seems like in some encounters, I have someone end up at half-health by the end of the first round, but then I wonder if it's better to diversify feats among the party. The problem is just trying to pick what feat would be best. Truth be told, a lot of them seem kind of useless, either because the bonus is insignificant, or is covered by another party member and/or by switching classes. With the ASI feats, it's more of just figuring out whether you up a character's primary ability, or put the points towards another ability. Like, do you up Shadowheart's WIS so you can maximize the strength of her divine spells, or do you put it towards STR, so she can do some more melee damage? That's where I get caught up.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

You know respeccing at Withers allows you to tweak their ability scores right

I forgot, but I can't recall if I tweaked anyone's ability scores or not. I probably need to sit down and make note of everyone's stats.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 14, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Unless you're trying to make Shadowheart a War Cleric or respec her into a melee class then STR is kinda bad for her. 13 base STR is already overkill for non-martial Clerics and most of the time I reallocate those points for more WIS/DEX/CON as soon as I can. I'm never relying on Shadowheart to tango in melee even if she occasionally has to bonk a goblin on the head.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The game loves to give clerics stats they’d need in tabletop but not at all the ones they’d use in BG3

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm past the point of no return to finish up my first honor mode run and I am still waffling over whether to be a big drat hero and do the fight legit or cheese it by sending Gale to his noble end. I think I'd rather do the former, story wise and to be a big drat hero, but tales of fuckery in the last fight in here make me feel concern over having my honor made fail spectacularly in the last moments. Any advice from you fine folks on how to ensure a clean finish, outside of backing up the save or Ctrl alt del'ing?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Professor Beetus posted:

Any advice from you fine folks on how to ensure a clean finish, outside of backing up the save or Ctrl alt del'ing?

Globe of invulnerability in the final phase if you want to ignore the boss’s gimmick and mechanics and just mindlessly dps to victory.

It’s great in all the other fights too, if you have enough scrolls and/or casts, but being able to ignore the platform deletion in particular makes the fight pretty trivial.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

1. There's a sewer grate just below the final area before the big courtyard fight that will actually lead to a much smaller and less tedious encounter. You'll end up just past the courtyard and will only need to make a few jumps to reach the Netherbrain.
2. There are no restoration fountains on Honor Mode so after the "you reached the top" cutscene plays, have your entire party drink those potions of angelic slumber you've been hoarding all game.
3. You can do the penultimate fight in one of two ways -- kill everything so that you have a clean transition to the final area, or summon allies and run past everyone. I've done it both ways and I think it's more convenient to just burn summons and run. You want all your characters to be close by when the first of them enters the portal.
4. Movement really is of the essence for the final battle so pre-buff your entire team with Longstrider, give them haste potions, teleport items etc. anything so that they won't be caught on the glowing platforms.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

exquisite tea posted:

3. You can do the penultimate fight in one of two ways -- kill everything so that you have a clean transition to the final area, or summon allies and run past everyone. I've done it both ways and I think it's more convenient to just burn summons and run. You want all your characters to be close by when the first of them enters the portal.
4. Movement really is of the essence for the final battle so pre-buff your entire team with Longstrider, give them haste potions, teleport items etc. anything so that they won't be caught on the glowing platforms.

Let’s say my movement speed is absurd what happens if I’m the only one near this portal? Am I going to break something? 1 v 1 vs Andross?

We’ve got like 3 long rests left before this can finally end.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Black Noise posted:

Let’s say my movement speed is absurd what happens if I’m the only one near this portal? Am I going to break something? 1 v 1 vs Andross?

We’ve got like 3 long rests left before this can finally end.

It’s all one big fight so you can stagger people in. Gets kind of annoying flipping back and forth.

On Balanced I could summon allies by the brain, took me by surprise when this didn’t work on Tactician but it was still doable. No restoration fountains on Tactician either but I think I remember a couple angelic potions on the way as loot, and the kobold trader before the courtyard sold some.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dawgstar posted:

There is indeed a ridiculous amount of content in Act 1 alone. I was in the Underdark for hours and remembered "Oh, yeah, the goblin leaders."

I literally only just found out you aren't supposed to attack the spectator until it dies and the intended gimmick is to dink the drow it unfreezes so they come to their senses and help you.

I didn't even know you could talk to those guys. Dhourn copped it but sounds like he was a dick anyway. plus he has part of the stick

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I literally only just found out you aren't supposed to attack the spectator until it dies and the intended gimmick is to dink the drow it unfreezes so they come to their senses and help you.

I didn't even know you could talk to those guys. Dhourn copped it but sounds like he was a dick anyway. plus he has part of the stick

Weirdly enough if Dhourn dies during the fight but the other Drow don't they have no issues with you afterwards and there's no fight with them. But if you let Dhourn alive he will fight you when you ask him about the Forge.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Weirdly enough if Dhourn dies during the fight but the other Drow don't they have no issues with you afterwards and there's no fight with them. But if you let Dhourn alive he will fight you when you ask him about the Forge.

You can actually avoid that if you're a lady drow, or disguised as one. Then you can just browbeat him into giving you the info without a fight.

Most of the time there's just a half-melted corpse that you can loot what you need from.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

Ethel Spoilers regardless of what you do in Act 1, you’ll encounter her again in Act 3; because Hag’s have to be killed a certain way to stay dead for good. Therefore, the greater good dictates you hit her up for a nice stat boosting snack
I was kinda bothered that she shows up even if you feed Gale her charm. There's a clear difference accounted for in Speak With Dead.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I'm never relying on Shadowheart to tango in melee even if she occasionally has to bonk a goblin on the head.

If she needs to go bonk something, spirit guardians is her melee weapon.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Shadowheart is useless in combat*

Except in act 2 where she carries my team

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^ Companions are only as useless as however you spec them :colbert: ^

Snake Maze posted:

Globe of invulnerability in the final phase if you want to ignore the boss’s gimmick and mechanics and just mindlessly dps to victory.

It’s great in all the other fights too, if you have enough scrolls and/or casts, but being able to ignore the platform deletion in particular makes the fight pretty trivial.

Wait a sec, globe of invuln prevents the platform deletion???

exquisite tea posted:

1. There's a sewer grate just below the final area before the big courtyard fight that will actually lead to a much smaller and less tedious encounter. You'll end up just past the courtyard and will only need to make a few jumps to reach the Netherbrain.

oh good god thank you, this is an incredible pro tip

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
In my game Shadowheart killed more undead than the top three Belmonts combined.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Professor Beetus posted:

With the caveat that I was in honor mode myself and didn't test it thoroughly - yes, the platforms inside the globe can't be destroyed

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Max Wilco posted:

I was moreso just wondering which were the recommended feats. Monathin did a write up on the feats in the previous thread, but that was from October, so I didn't know if any of the patches since then buffed/nerfed any of the feats.

I took Alert on my PC, but I think that's it. Gale, Wyll, and Shadowheart have Durable, Lae'zel has Tavern Brawler, Astarion has Sharpshooter, and Karlach has Savage Attacker. I don't think I've actually had Halsin join the party yet, so he might be due for some.

Main thing here is that durable is crap. A bit of extra healing on short rest is nothing. Eat some berries or drink one of your 1000 healing potions.

If you want to round up someone's constitution, you're generally way better off picking resilient: constitution which grants proficiency in con saves (mainly for concentration).

War caster for advantage on concentration is another option.

Sorcerers get con proficiency native but wizards, clerics, druids, and spell caster bards all probably want something to boost concentration.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 14, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Huh. I must have done it wrong. They certainly didn't stop attacking me after one hit. Happily I had a Karlach and she critted so the Spectator wasn't as annoying as it might have been.

Also that's why God (or a god, I guess) made the Speak with Dead amulet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Nexus gonna Nexus
https://x.com/onewiththeweave/status/1757520949442711668?s=20

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well beat the game on honor mode and only got credit for tactician. 10/10 would suffer through again I guess. Maybe I'll do it again when they've finished patching the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Has anyone ever tried an evil Shadowheart origin campaign? Bad Girl Summer with Lae'zel, Minthy, and Astarion sounds like a fun alternative to Durge.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Professor Beetus posted:

Well beat the game on honor mode and only got credit for tactician. 10/10 would suffer through again I guess. Maybe I'll do it again when they've finished patching the game.

did you abuse quitting or backing up saves? the game will blacklist your uuid if it catches you doing that

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm tempted to do an evil Shart run but I would miss her voice lines a lot

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'd also wanna make her a Light Cleric, which is so bad thematically but also... so good at the same time???

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone ever tried an evil Shadowheart origin campaign? Bad Girl Summer with Lae'zel, Minthy, and Astarion sounds like a fun alternative to Durge.

Alternatively, betray Shar at the very end and bring Gale instead of Astarion for a gently caress My Bitch Ex-God, I Do What I Want run.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm having a lot of fun combo'ing the various freedom of movement boots and buffs with crowd control spells. Evard's Black Tentacles, Sleet Storm, Web, whatever. Karlach, Lae'zel and my bard are wading through it all, beating on helpless mooks.

This kinda solves my frustrations with CC in other D&D games, where it can be downright hazardous to use area denial because the party is stuck plinking away at range. Plus it's real cheap in terms of spell slots.

e: I have yet to roll out a rogue multi-class with all the gear that gives bonuses when obscured, but I bet that would be an even better gimmick in combination with darkness spam.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 14, 2024

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Max Wilco posted:

For what it's worth, I did update this list a bit more and you can find it in the first post of the thread. I still say War Caster is a skip on anyone but a Cleric or a Sorcerer (and even then you still probably want Resilient first on a Cleric). Durable I do agree is pretty worthless. Polearm Master I think is still broken unless someone has tested whether it's fixed or not.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Don’t get why non-lethal damage toggle is even an option when my party members and NPCs give me poo poo for killing people when I clearly made the effort to let them live (ex. Minsc, who I knocked out because Jaheira got killed at Moonrise and he couldn’t stop his bloodrage even with Calm Emotion)

Karlach: “We just killed Minsc! How could we?!?l

Me: (no we loving didn’t. I left him alive, you were there!)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gatto Grigio posted:

Don’t get why non-lethal damage toggle is even an option when my party members and NPCs give me poo poo for killing people when I clearly made the effort to let them live (ex. Minsc, who I knocked out because Jaheira got killed at Moonrise and he couldn’t stop his bloodrage even with Calm Emotion)

Karlach: “We just killed Minsc! How could we?!?l

Me: (no we loving didn’t. I left him alive, you were there!)

Non lethal seems buggy as hell to me. I freed Sazza in the beginning to get the trust of the goblins, and was amicable with them all until it came time to kill the leaders and save the Grove. Sazza was in the room and I didn't want to kill her so I bonked her out.

Unfortunately, the mission saying "Talk to Sazza and she'll introduce you to the Goblin leader" stayed stuck at that point, despite the leaders being dead. I ended up going back into the Goblin fortress before Act 2 and she was still there, and acted as a vendor...but had no items and no gold, and wouldn't not talk to me otherwise. I finally just killed her and the mission completed.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

^ Companions are only as useless as however you spec them :colbert: ^

oh good god thank you, this is an incredible pro tip

Globe of Invulnerability prevents a bunch of stuff it shouldn't, it also stops the game from applying the "used once per game effect" status on you so if you cast Divine Intervention or Power Word: Kill while in the globe it won't lock your character out from doing it again.

If you want an overkill way to cheese fights, have a cleric stand in the orb and spam the Divine Intervention Nuke. That or use it to generic infinite potions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think the non-lethal toggle was a design mistake.

It would be better if they flagged any NPC you might want to talk to (IE: Not "goblin raider 6") as "knock-outable" and then whenever you get one of those to 0 HP it takes you to a dialogue screen where you get the choice to capture them or execute them. Pick execute and they die on the spot. Pick capture and they get teleported to your prisoner cage (for enemies) or hospital tent (for non-enemies) in your camp (to make sure they don't get blown up by a stray fireball) and you can talk to them in there.

Speak with dead is a similar situation. Instead of letting me attempt to speak to every corpse (and inevitably forget since most of them can't be spoken to), make it super clear when there's an opportunity to use the spell - an icon over the corpse or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Talkable corpses glow green as long as you've got speak with dead up.