Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

That was the Synology I was looking at actually, but wasn't sure if it was really any good, so I'm glad to see a goon recommend it. I technically could build my own since I have spare hardware laying around, but I really just don't want to have to configure an OS for it to run on and deal with all that, so solution like the Synology just fits better into what I'm willing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The reason we use e..g TrueNAS is that the only low-level config you need to do is writing a USB stick, booting from it, picking which drive(s) to install to, and the rest is done in the web interface. It's not as smooth as a Synology, but it's also not "27) sudo vim /usr/local/etc/samba4/smb.conf and write your share definitions" like you'd get if you wanted to do it on plain FreeBSD or Debian.

That doesnt' mean a Synology is the wrong choice; I've used them before and will do so again. But the NAS distros have also come a long way. :)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 12, 2024

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
My first 3 NAS were Synos and I still like the interface. I only switched over to Unraid and Truenas out of curiosity and to see if I could run a bunch of VMs using tons of cheap RAM.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

That was the Synology I was looking at actually, but wasn't sure if it was really any good, so I'm glad to see a goon recommend it. I technically could build my own since I have spare hardware laying around, but I really just don't want to have to configure an OS for it to run on and deal with all that, so solution like the Synology just fits better into what I'm willing to do.

I've been a Synology user for about 10 years now. There's really nothing that they can't handle that I want to be doing at home. Some of their apps are difficult to backup/restore, or at least used to be, so these days I use their Container Manager / Docker.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of Qnap vulnerabilities announced:

https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/security-advisory/qsa-23-57

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Starting to question going with a QNAP router...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lol at the quality https://unit42.paloaltonetworks.com/qnap-qts-firmware-cve-2023-50358/

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Wow that is some embarrassing my-first-php level poo poo.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ugh qnap just stop

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tfa posted:

QNAP is an acronym for Quality Network Appliance Provider

lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

other people posted:

Wow that is some embarrassing my-first-php level poo poo.

Yeah this really does reek of “testing script that accidentally made it to production” lol

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Theophany posted:

Starting to question going with a QNAP router...

I assumed this was a joke....

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/series/qhora-router

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The market for 2.5Gbe home routers is pretty dire and their featureset fit my needs. Draytek have been my historical choice but once you go above gigabit networking they're clearly pricing for purchasing managers rather than home users.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the vulns are remediated in 22/23 depending on the build. the exposure left over was that it was still vulnerable mid-install and the timeline of notification to patches isn't noteworthy at all either

i've said it before by qnap's security is nowhere near as bad as the reactions imply. it's the same shitpile as other appliance vendors but they're upfront about it and if you keep on top of firmware updates that's good enough. the entire idea of them having bad security comes from some weird factional userbase from reddit that doesn't understand security as much as they want to convince themselves, we don't need to import that insane mindset here

2.5Gb networking existing is a terrible stopgap and reduced research and manufacturing money on making 10Gb viable for the home market imo

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
QNAP got all of my data cryptolocked a couple of years ago when I wasn't even using any of the cloud/remote capabilities, so I guess some setting was opt-out that should've been opt-in, or just creating a QNAP account during initial setup enabled them. I was lucky that I had been periodically backing up to an external that I had disconnected at the time for unrelated reasons, so I was able to piece back together almost everything from that and my laptop.

I think it's the only instance of me being personally affected by malware in the past 15 years. Now, I use a Synology and am also a lot more paranoid about periodically checking for updates.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Quietly ignoring the vulnerabilities since I just went all-in on QNAP (behind the router/firewall though)...

Am I smart or stupid for using SMR drives with round-robin mergerfs+rsync in a pair of 5-bay USB3 enclosures for backups? I don't care all that much how long they take, and round-robin seems to let each drive get a few hundred megs of data before leaving that drive alone, so the next drive can start getting data while that one does its stupid SMR thing.

yay/nay?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It sounds to me like a recipe for dataloss without a good backup strategy in place.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

insta posted:

Quietly ignoring the vulnerabilities since I just went all-in on QNAP (behind the router/firewall though)...

Am I smart or stupid for using SMR drives with round-robin mergerfs+rsync in a pair of 5-bay USB3 enclosures for backups? I don't care all that much how long they take, and round-robin seems to let each drive get a few hundred megs of data before leaving that drive alone, so the next drive can start getting data while that one does its stupid SMR thing.

yay/nay?

I think it's a bad call. You already have a ton of SMR drives? At today's prices SMR isn't even cheaper through any channels that normal people have access to.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It sounds to me like a recipe for dataloss without a good backup strategy in place.

that is the backup strategy. it's backing up my 50tb ISO collection to avoid redownloading them. the 18 gigabytes of old family photos are scattered around so many cloud providers and other backup areas they'll survive an atmosphere-stripping solar flare.

the array they're backing up is 8x Exos x16 CMR drives in raid-z6 with scrubs and alerting, and i have spare drives in ESD polybags ready to swap in same-day.

quote:

I think it's a bad call. You already have a ton of SMR drives? At today's prices SMR isn't even cheaper through any channels that normal people have access to.

I got them cheap, they were about 40% less-per-TB than the enterprise drives they're backing up

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

insta posted:

the 18 gigabytes of old family photos are scattered around so many cloud providers and other backup areas they'll survive an atmosphere-stripping solar flare.

Same for me. My most valuable files are family photos and some work files I've accumulated over the years, and a meme folder. The latter is to provide my children with insight into the mind of their father after I'm gone. In total it's far less than 1 TB so will be easy to keep backed up to clouds (and spare HDDs) indefinitely. The rest can be re-downloaded for the most part.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Synology's really easy to use, you basically put the disks in and do the initial config with a GUI in your browser. You can set it up as a network device with shares and configure some backups to it. Apple's got time machine or something?

Anyway there's 2 bay, 4 bay, and bigger. For your use case I'd probably get a 2 bay and a couple of 8tb or 12tb disks. You want more than one so the data can be redundant on the device and you want larger disks so you have room to grow your backups.

I don't know what all of their models offer but this seems like it'd be fine for that use case (currently $250):
https://www.amazon.com/Synology-2-Bay-NAS-DS223-Diskless/dp/B0BRNBVTJK/

The reason a lot of us build our own or use small PCs with freenas/truenas or unraid is because we often have old hardware lying around to get started with, or just want more control over the system. I set up a Synology at a client's place though and it was really simple to get going.

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been a Synology user for about 10 years now. There's really nothing that they can't handle that I want to be doing at home. Some of their apps are difficult to backup/restore, or at least used to be, so these days I use their Container Manager / Docker.

Just to follow up on this, I ordered a Synology DS223j and two 8TB Toshiba N300 NAS-specific HDDs. The 223j has less RAM than the 223, but since I'm just going to be using it for system backups I don't think it'll end up being an issue. I did watch some videos on YT about the different models and seeing people talk about $700+ disk-less solutions as being "a decent starter NAS" feels utterly ridiculous. I also feel kind of ridiculous myself for buying spinning drives to back my systems up, since all the Macs are Apple Silicon models with storage built in and my PC is entirely solid state, but also the amount of data I've accumulated at this point has exceeded what I've had in the past when catastrophic failures have wrecked things.

I understand this is probably not the normal use case for people in this thread, since I'm not doing any kind of cross system file sharing or plex server hosting, but appreciate you all indulging me.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 15, 2024

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m finally getting around to RMAing some drives that bricked after a power outage. Assuming WD sends me replacements I’m thinking about what to do with them. I’m currently leaning on using them as a four-drive media server using mergerfs and maybe a fifth drive with SnapRAID for some baseline parity. I was just gonna throw it on a bare metal Ubuntu install that is currently working as a Plex server. Maybe one day I’ll whip up some document storage with ZFS but I have a Synology connecting to backblaze and another storage drive for that.

I’m comfortable enough with docker and poo poo to install things I may want to use alongside the file system and I already janitor some other headless boxes from the command line. Am I missing any special features from TrueNAS or UnRAID that I couldn’t replicate with docker compose and ppvs?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Are these going to blow up in 2 months if I shuck them for my Unraid?

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/923116

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Branch Nvidian posted:

Just to follow up on this, I ordered a Synology DS223j and two 8TB Toshiba N300 NAS-specific HDDs. The 223j has less RAM than the 223, but since I'm just going to be using it for system backups I don't think it'll end up being an issue. I did watch some videos on YT about the different models and seeing people talk about $700+ disk-less solutions as being "a decent starter NAS" feels utterly ridiculous. I also feel kind of ridiculous myself for buying spinning drives to back my systems up, since all the Macs are Apple Silicon models with storage built in and my PC is entirely solid state, but also the amount of data I've accumulated at this point has exceeded what I've had in the past when catastrophic failures have wrecked things.

I understand this is probably not the normal use case for people in this thread, since I'm not doing any kind of cross system file sharing or plex server hosting, but appreciate you all indulging me.

I don't know much about that particular unit but in the DS224+ (or whatever it was I set up at a client's site, one of their 2 bays with expansion options) we were able to get another stick of ram. Technically it's not approved since it wasn't through synology but it was a cheap kingston or crucial speed compatible 8GB stick that a lot of people said worked in theirs. Not sure if they started soldering RAM on the less expensive units but if not then it's always an option if you need more. Since you're just using it for storage I doubt it'll be a problem, though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Can't upgrade the RAM on a j model, that's a perk of the + models. Just soldered memory and no slots on all the ARM based models as far as I know.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fair enough, that makes them a totally adequate appliance to do backups to. My HP N40L Microserver is over 10 years old and while I've done some mods (like a silent psu) and stuff over the years it's still chugging along just doing data storage.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Are these going to blow up in 2 months if I shuck them for my Unraid?

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/923116

Who knows? But if you're already buying refurbed drives, you can get cheaper 16TB drives that you don't even have to shuck.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’m comfortable enough with docker and poo poo to install things I may want to use alongside the file system and I already janitor some other headless boxes from the command line. Am I missing any special features from TrueNAS or UnRAID that I couldn’t replicate with docker compose and ppvs?

At work I use TrueNAS so I don't have to do a samba+NFS+users from an ancient ActiveDirectory setup by hand again. At home I use it in the hope that it will require less management overall - though I think I'll just run a normal FreeBSD install again next time. So nah not really, unless you have complex file serving needs.

I'd suggest using the opportunity to do a bit of real world testing of different tools. Throw them in a ZFS pool and poke that for a bit. See what mdraid and lvm can do. Set up a btrfs raid just so you can say you've done it. After all, it's not that often that you have a stack of large empty drives to play with. :)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 16, 2024

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I thought 2.5g existed purely as a sop to wifi marketing speeds in excess of 1gbps that is easily pointed out as irrelevant given the 1gbps uplink port on many of them. I guess >1gbps home internet will eventually become more widely spread but it's gotta be a tiny percentage of the market for the next few years. I'd have assumed anyone who really needed more than 1gbps would have either discovered link aggregation or just bit the bullet on 10g gear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The ideal picture for 2.5G is essentially consumer GBE prices but better speed while maintaining POE compatibility.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Aware posted:

I thought 2.5g existed purely as a sop to wifi marketing speeds in excess of 1gbps that is easily pointed out as irrelevant given the 1gbps uplink port on many of them. I guess >1gbps home internet will eventually become more widely spread but it's gotta be a tiny percentage of the market for the next few years. I'd have assumed anyone who really needed more than 1gbps would have either discovered link aggregation or just bit the bullet on 10g gear.

In my case, we noticed that both our desktops had 2.5g, so we bought a switch and a 2.5g card for the file server. Much, much cheaper than a 10gbit upgrade, and over double the speed in file transfers and steam peer-to-peer installations. I would have liked 10gbit, but the hardware is still a bit too expensive for the realistic benefits at home.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's also less picky about cable quality IME, so you can mostly reuse in-wall house cabling.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

insta posted:

the 18 gigabytes of old family photos are scattered around so many cloud providers and other backup areas they'll survive an atmosphere-stripping solar flare.
Wanted to comment on this because people actually seem to believe this. Businesses operate on a herd mentality so every consumer cloud backup provider will go away within a 2 year span when the "common wisdom" is that it's not a growth market.

And that's assuming a vulture equity group doesn't take a few hundred billion and "consolidate" the market, strip it for any cash and burn the carcass.

"cloud" can be part of a home-user backup strategy but it should be considered ephemeral and unreliable.

evil_bunnY posted:

It's also less picky about cable quality IME, so you can mostly reuse in-wall house cabling.

If your wall cabling can't handle 10gbe it's either ancient or someone hosed up badly, or your house is so huge that you can afford to run fiber.

I half-assed mine with cat6 (not even 6a) and it handles 10gbe just fine. Think it's about 10-15 meter run since it has to go up into the attic then back down into the subfloor. cat6 is good for 55 meters, 6a/7 for 100. If you have ancient cat5 in the walls you can try using it as a pull for better cables.

Harik fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 16, 2024

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Harik posted:

Wanted to comment on this because people actually seem to believe this. Businesses operate on a herd mentality so every consumer cloud backup provider will go away within a 2 year span when the "common wisdom" is that it's not a growth market.

And that's assuming a vulture equity group doesn't take a few hundred billion and "consolidate" the market, strip it for any cash and burn the carcass.

"cloud" can be part of a home-user backup strategy but it should be considered ephemeral and unreliable.

The risk of both OneDrive and Google Drive disappearing at all, never mind so quickly that I don't have time to download everything, is near zero. Note that he said cloud providers, not specifically cloud backup providers.

Sure, trusting either MS or Google to stick to projects is also a folly - but they're not getting bought out, and neither of them run their storage solution as a main income source in the first place.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you actually read cloud EULAs, most of them do not take backups of data at all. for instance, when I was in the moving on-prem email to O365 game, I discovered that Microsoft doesnt back up that data. So issues that wipe data (which are admittedly few and far between) will require your own personal backups to get running again.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Computer viking posted:

In my case, we noticed that both our desktops had 2.5g, so we bought a switch and a 2.5g card for the file server. Much, much cheaper than a 10gbit upgrade, and over double the speed in file transfers and steam peer-to-peer installations. I would have liked 10gbit, but the hardware is still a bit too expensive for the realistic benefits at home.

Oh don't get me wrong, it does what it says on the tin, it's just hard to imagine it having an impact day to day in 99.99% of homes. But that's also true of 10gb.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Computer viking posted:

The risk of both OneDrive and Google Drive disappearing at all, never mind so quickly that I don't have time to download everything, is near zero. Note that he said cloud providers, not specifically cloud backup providers.

There's a non-zero chance OneDrive will go away or change policies, I wouldn't trust a sole provider.

As for the other, it's a google service that's not named "adwords". Pour one out for it now, save yourself the time later.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It's a non-zero risk, absolutely. But the risk of it happening overnight except in a civilization-threatening event seems to be close enough to zero that I can forgive someone for rounding down.

e: Honestly, can you see MS voluntarily going from "OneDrive is automatically installed and active in Windows" to "OneDrive doesn't work at all" without at least a few months in between? Especially considering that it's also a product that they sell to enterprise customers as part of O365.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 16, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Sure, trusting either MS or Google to stick to projects is also a folly - but they're not getting bought out, and neither of them run their storage solution as a main income source in the first place.

It's not 1:1 analogous, but when Microsoft bought Danger, the company that made and operated the cloud servers the T-Mobile Sidekick/Danger Hiptop used, they didn't perform any backups of those servers, and apparently Danger hadn't either or Microsoft got rid of them. There was a cataclysmic outage in 2009 that wiped most user's data out completely. Since the Sidekick devices stored nothing locally, that means emails, text messages, notes, pictures, videos, everything belonging to those users were lost.

After two weeks of dedicated teams working on it, they did manage to recover a good portion of the data, but they had a vested interesting in doing so as they were trying to sell clients on using Azure and their other cloud services.

Though, when Microsoft shuttered the servers officially they gave a 3 month warning to users to download their data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I believe O365 is Microsofts biggest moneymaker by far because we live in subscription hellworld, so the chances of it going poof are very slim

What is more likely to happen is they roll out a new and improved Office 366 that is not backwards compatible and you either need to move your poo poo, or buy the new subscription.