Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

dr_rat posted:

12 would the super stupid one where one of the main characters looked exactly like the movie star she was played by, and it just wasn't mentioned in the previous film right?

That was super dumb and not in a fun way.

Yeah. IIrc they basically had an Adam Sandler thing going where the actors just hung out in Clooney's or Pitt's house in Italy and made a film on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah. IIrc they basically had an Adam Sandler thing going where the actors just hung out in Clooney's or Pitt's house in Italy and made a film on the side.

Yeah i can't really be mad at that as like who wouldn't do that if they could?

Movie still sucked though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I went past that house once, it's pretty wild.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Baron von Eevl posted:

That itself reminds me of Fast 5, the fifth installment of the movie franchise about illegal street racing, where the heroes go "we'll need some fast cars for this heist, we're going to have to do some illegal street racing to win them" and then it cuts straight to them having won the cars in illegal street races.

Wait, if they won the cars, doesn't that mean the cars they already had were faster, thus making the illegal street racing moot?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Decided to watch a random film on Netflix, saw this Seraphim Falls western. One or two minutes in, a guy is being shot at. But it's one of those slow bullet rifles because you hear the gunshot like a full fuckin second before the bullet hits anything.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wait, if they won the cars, doesn't that mean the cars they already had were faster, thus making the illegal street racing moot?

It's not the car, it's the driver

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

That itself reminds me of Fast 5, the fifth installment of the movie franchise about illegal street racing, where the heroes go "we'll need some fast cars for this heist, we're going to have to do some illegal street racing to win them" and then it cuts straight to them having won the cars in illegal street races.

I think in some fairness, at that point it seems well established the cast already have extremely good illegal street racing skills and it can be assumed they won the street races easily based on said skills, even against opponents with technically superior cars. But I suppose it's all context. Like in Fury Road where Max finishes off the Bullet Farmer.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Baron von Eevl posted:

The worst thing about Fast 5 was that it had no Audis with inline 5 engines

The worst thing about Fast X is it had like three moments where someone clearly could have said "FasTen your seatbelt" and they loving didn't

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tunicate posted:

It's not the car, it's the driver

That only proves my point further!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Yeah if it's not the car it's the driver they could have done it in Nissan Micra's or something.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That only proves my point further!
Driver skill is a flat bonus to the roll, but a better car has a higher number of sides on the die.

You're a d6+10 vs a d10+4, take that d10 car

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe the cars were the prizes in the races and not actually driven by the other racers? I haven't seen the movie; I'm just guessing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If it's so easy why not just sell the cars then do some more races for more cars instead of doing the heist?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Seems like you don't understand the "being a badass" aspect.

Also you can only race for pinks so many times before everyone knows you do that and then the only people that challenge you for pinks might be the next badasses.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think in some fairness, at that point it seems well established the cast already have extremely good illegal street racing skills and it can be assumed they won the street races easily based on said skills, even against opponents with technically superior cars. But I suppose it's all context. Like in Fury Road where Max finishes off the Bullet Farmer.

Yeah, but the funny part wasn't "how did they win these cars" it was that they used a really convoluted setup to involve street racing and then they don't show any of the street race.

It's like if Pitch Perfect 5 was a movie about being surgeons and they were like "our hospital needs money fast! We're going to need to enter this a capella competition with a big cash prize" and then cut to them holding big sacks with dollar signs on them after having won.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not going to hold any Fast movie after about 4 to task for presenting "these characters are accomplished street racers" as anything but informed attributes, that's not what the movies want to be by this point.

My IIMM is that the Japanese title of 5 is "Wild Speed MEGA MAX" (capitalization theirs) and that's obviously a way better title

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My favorite is Wild Speed: Sky Mission.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

credburn posted:

Decided to watch a random film on Netflix, saw this Seraphim Falls western. One or two minutes in, a guy is being shot at. But it's one of those slow bullet rifles because you hear the gunshot like a full fuckin second before the bullet hits anything.

"Camera angle featuring a gun being fired, camera cut to the protagonist ducking, and then the gunfire hits" is my absolute least favorite cinematic pacing trick. Westerns are perhaps the inventor of the trick it's so common. It was so satisfying to see Tarantino defy it just so he could be exploded with dynamite in Django Unchained. Django fires and he blows the gently caress up IMMEDIATELY and SPECTACULARLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGFjt2aaOg0&t=184s

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Feb 12, 2024

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

There's something really visceral about when a movie does it right and someone gets shot by a sniper and the sound follows a second later.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Fast and Furious needs a crossover with Transformers. I want to see some bot deciding to gently caress the war, I wanna be a street racecar. And when someone tries to cheat, he can transform and yeet that loving car off the track, then go right back to racing.

TF Prime did an episode with that, but it was more of a hobby for the Decepticon in question. He did get chewed out by his superior officer for streetracing with humans AGAIN.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Fast and Furious needs a crossover with Transformers. I want to see some bot deciding to gently caress the war, I wanna be a street racecar.

ftfy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Side Burn certainly tried. He never quite seemed to realise that Earth cars don't talk.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CJacobs posted:

"Camera angle featuring a gun being fired, camera cut to the protagonist ducking, and then the gunfire hits" is my absolute least favorite cinematic pacing trick. Westerns are perhaps the inventor of the trick it's so common.

I just watched The Wall, about an American sniper team pinned down by an Iraqi sniper, it was was refreshing to see a movie show bullet impact full *seconds* before the sound arrives.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Leave posted:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Fast and Furious needs a crossover with Transformers. I want to see some bot deciding to gently caress the war, I wanna be a street racecar to be hosed on.

ftfy

YO dawg, I head you liked fixes so I fixed your fix.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cowslips Warren posted:

Fast and Furious needs a crossover with Transformers.

I think Optimus Prime would be down for some race wars

Phanatic posted:

I just watched The Wall, about an American sniper team pinned down by an Iraqi sniper, it was was refreshing to see a movie show bullet impact full *seconds* before the sound arrives.

I remember this being good but I'm also a sucker for single actor, single location movies. Locke, Buried, that one with the lady fighting the shark, all p good.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Fast and Furious needs a crossover with Transformers. I want to see some bot deciding to gently caress the war, I wanna be a street racecar. And when someone tries to cheat, he can transform and yeet that loving car off the track, then go right back to racing.
I watched the Beast Wars movie a few days ago, cbanged my mind about Pete Davidson, and he'd be perfect for it.

And the edits.

/e: I'm leaving the typo in

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Side Burn certainly tried. He never quite seemed to realise that Earth cars don't talk.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Let me be incredibly clear: I have, in the past, successfully identified Fast and Furious (the fourth one) from the opening production graphics (Universal, Original Film) without audio on a tiny TV in a bar.

I fuckin' love F&F and crossing Transformers in would be awesome and possibly the only reasonable escalation after whatever they're doing with "Jason Momoa but he's hilariously nuts"

The Universal globe thing showed up, the Original Film text showed up, I went "oh hey it's Fast & Fourious" and it was

stringless has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Feb 13, 2024

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Speaking of Fast and the Furious, I saw Fast X recently and there's a touching scene of John Cena driving his nephew around in a cool cannon car. Bad guys start chasing them so the kid uses the cannon and blows up a car. It is blown all the way up, all the people inside are dead or going to burn to death horribly. This is treated as good fun by John Cena and the kid. That kid just murdered several people.

Also I didn't know that it was a 2 parter. First spiderman, now fast x. Would it kill them to label it part 1 or something?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Tagichatn posted:

Also I didn't know that it was a 2 parter. First spiderman, now fast x. Would it kill them to label it part 1 or something?

Final Fastasy X-2

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Tagichatn posted:

Speaking of Fast and the Furious, I saw Fast X recently and there's a touching scene of John Cena driving his nephew around in a cool cannon car. Bad guys start chasing them so the kid uses the cannon and blows up a car. It is blown all the way up, all the people inside are dead or going to burn to death horribly. This is treated as good fun by John Cena and the kid. That kid just murdered several people.

Watch old action movies, like before the 2000s, and you see this all the time.

Hell, Luke Skywalker goes from podunk sandy-assed farm boy to shooting stormtroopers on the Death Star and then blowing two million people up in the space of a couple days.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Killing people is cool, and good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That bothered me about Nobody. It did not feel like a movie where life and death should come into play so soon. The now well-known fight on the bus is the first fight in the film and like the third scene. Hutch wins and he kills a punk so thoroughly that he's got to give him a tracheotomy before he leaves so the guy doesn't actually die.

Like it ramps up from there sure, but they blew their load on Bob Odenkirk way too early so to speak.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Feb 13, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

"Jason Momoa but he's hilariously nuts"

If you dig that then you should check out Slumberland on Netflix

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

they blew their load on Bob Odenkirk way too early

I think you watched a different movie

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Nameless Pete posted:

Final Fastasy X-2

Hey, let me ask you this. How do you pronounce this? I've always said "ten two," but when the game came out, the department store I worked at, I was the only one who called it that. Everyone else called it "ex two," even if they called the first one "ten."

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

credburn posted:

Hey, let me ask you this. How do you pronounce this? I've always said "ten two," but when the game came out, the department store I worked at, I was the only one who called it that. Everyone else called it "ex two," even if they called the first one "ten."

10 - 2 = 8
so really it's Final Fantasy 8

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The Parent Trap.

The parents of twin girls divorce and move away from each other, each taking one baby and never telling their child that the other exists :chloe:

When the girls accidentally meet, rather than realising their parents are loving monsters, they conspire to get them back together.

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Parent Trap.

The parents of twin girls divorce and move away from each other, each taking one baby and never telling their child that the other exists :chloe:

When the girls accidentally meet, rather than realising their parents are loving monsters, they conspire to get them back together.

Alternatively; the parents of twin girls had such a terrible and harrowing experience both before and during their divorce that the court arranged this bizarre Solomon's Wisdom style resolution between both parents who immediately memory holed the whole experience and moved on.

When the girls accidentally meet, rather than realizing the extent of their parents' trauma, they conspire to shove two traumatized adults back together.

Is, is this anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom decided to watch Jurassic Park, which is pretty flawless, and then the two sequels. Retirement has led to her making some odd choices. I wonder if she'll do the Jurassic World series next.

But dear gods, even as a kid I hated The Lost World. And 3 was just bad on every level. Though mad props to killing the T-rex to show how SUPER COOL this new dino is, be sure to buy the toys! new dino also has a great sense of comedic timing.
Whenever I watch Jurassic Park 3 my brain will briefly complain during the reveal that William H Macy and Tea Leoni are frauds about 'then how did they hire the mercenaries?'