Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PhiDX coached BrianF on this and i thought it was a pretty good primer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grlsh1wDjlI&t=1196s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

There is not a single worse feeling way to lose a set online then blocking and punishing every snake edge attempt throughout the set, until the very very end when you miss the very last one and die from it :negative:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
My short list of small things that should be changed

-RA's being -16
-unlimited rematches in quickmatch, this was so fun in t7 no point in taking it away
-actually dealing with pluggers, either by having a functioning blocklist like SF6, or something more advanced like punishments/giving the person whos left in the match a win if ahead in HP and nothing if lower
-Something needs to be done with Heat and Rage. They dont work well together. Making rage just increased damage and possibly chip (maybe even upping the multiplier) or bringing heats power down.

The first two should be trivial to address. I heard T8 has a block feature but it doesnt block matches just communication, it shouldnt be too hard to do if sf6 can do it. I do expect heat and rage to be tweaked a lot over the games life in general. I really dislike SFs once a year or whatever approach to patching and appreciate that tekken does it as a reasonable pace.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 14, 2024

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They could try making the disconnect counter read something other than 0%

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I suck so much at this game it’s kinda demoralizing. Like I can see the amount of work to get halfway-decent and it’s so incredibly daunting that i struggle to start. I’ve liked what I’ve played of Lili, but seeing as how I struggle with the fundamentals of tekken I can’t image how I can even start to approach things like dew glide and back turn

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Every fighting game but tekken in particular is a process with almost endless things to improve on. Movement itself is hard as gently caress in tekken and takes heavy execution. It’s easy to get demoralized but if you take it slow and recognize small achievements then it’s a pretty rewarding game.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Seltzer posted:

-Something needs to be done with Heat and Rage. They dont work well together. Making rage just increased damage and possibly chip (maybe even upping the multiplier) or bringing heats power down.
It's a feature and an updated version of that feature split into two. I think one of the two would be enough and if they go with the heat one, the animation should be skippable, or only shown once during a whole match.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Seltzer posted:

-RA's being -16

I wish blocked RAs were -16 because it means I wouldn't die from trying to df2 them as Zafina which I did earlier today lol

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wow Kuma's ending is trash.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Imaginary Friend posted:

It's a feature and an updated version of that feature split into two. I think one of the two would be enough and if they go with the heat one, the animation should be skippable, or only shown once during a whole match.

They painted themselves in a corner because, heat is the new thing to make aggression more rewarding and to make T8 different but modern fg design likes to have "come back mechanics" for casuals. I'd prefer to just have heat.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Wow Kuma's ending is trash.

lol what did you expect. I haven't seen it but it can't be worse than eddys ending in T7

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
are you kidding me? he goes to loving space what more do you want from a bear drat

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I want my boy to cum in some pandussy for once.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you kidding me? he goes to loving space what more do you want from a bear drat

To achieve his dreams.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day 2 of EWGF training with Reina, and I did a few online matches after warming up in training mode. Result: 0 EWGFs hit, 100% winrate.

Funniest part was mirror matching with another person who could definitely hit EWGF...from one side, and they kept fishing for it. Had an especially fun round where I opened with immediate run up side switch throw (since they always backdashed at the start), and then just ran the clock out on them as they desperately tried to fix it, ducking like 20 throw attempts to side switch again. Really appreciate that anti-EWGF tip!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wish blocked RAs were -16 because it means I wouldn't die from trying to df2 them as Zafina which I did earlier today lol

Yeah, I just throw when I block a RA as her, it always seems to trigger the counter or just frame timing for whatever reason and does like 1/5 their life bar and I basically can’t gently caress it up, so good enough I suppose.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Well, I am a man of no conviction. I sat back down today, gave it another go, and I'm finally feeling it. I will say this game is one of the most infuriating I've ever played but I have done a few things that have helped a ton.

First off the dick punch. Jesus I have no idea how vital it is when you're in close. I've shut down so much stuff just by doing that. You can see the light go out of a mashing gorilla when they get stopped cold by that.

Second, and someone tell me if this is a universal thing, df1 seems to be the quickest way to stop someone who is all up in your face. Time it right and you can stop almost anything thanks to the counter hit.

Third, I sat down in training and I went through every freaking move. I'm glad to say I wasn't really using anything too unsafe, but more importantly I found out a lot of useful stuff, most vitally where all my plus frames are, and there's some cheeky stuff you can get up to once that starts to come together. For instance, side step 2 with Feng, which puts you in back turned, which leads both to more plus frames and also a throw. Also the ff3 is +8 for crying out loud. I was relying on b3 for all my plus frames, and while it is a great move, it's linear as hell and really needs to be used with care. Found stuff to catch steppers too.

I have never been so equally frustrated and satisfied by a game before.

Oh, and do all the characters have an utterly impractical and too long string? I saw the Feng one that's 1121342222 and I couldn't stop laughing.

Oh and I didn't realize there was another parry besides shifting clouds which I find too telegraphed to be terribly useful. That back 13 one. Gonna come in handy with people that just won't stop pressing buttons

One other question, can the qcf dash he has be used to low profile stuff cause it looks like it could.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 14, 2024

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
10 hit combos have been a thing since the first tekken, yeah. Not all characters have them these days though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Second, and someone tell me if this is a universal thing, df1 seems to be the quickest way to stop someone who is all up in your face. Time it right and you can stop almost anything thanks to the counter hit.

A mid check is one of the Archetypal Moves that almost all characters have on df1, yes. Not everyone can counter hit (that's Feng Privilege) but it is usually the fastest standing mid you have so it will catch people trying to duck jabs. You can see that the crouch jab is one of the generic moves on that page too.

That page should mostly have relevant information but "magic 4s" have changed in Tekken 8 so they don't counter hit launch anymore

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Well, I am a man of no conviction. I sat back down today, gave it another go, and I'm finally feeling it. I will say this game is one of the most infuriating I've ever played but I have done a few things that have helped a ton.

First off the dick punch. Jesus I have no idea how vital it is when you're in close. I've shut down so much stuff just by doing that. You can see the light go out of a mashing gorilla when they get stopped cold by that.

Third, I sat down in training and I went through every freaking move. I'm glad to say I wasn't really using anything too unsafe, but more importantly I found out a lot of useful stuff, most vitally where all my plus frames are, and there's some cheeky stuff you can get up to once that starts to come together. For instance, side step 2 with Feng, which puts you in back turned, which leads both to more plus frames and also a throw. Also the ff3 is +8 for crying out loud. I was relying on b3 for all my plus frames, and while it is a great move, it's linear as hell and really needs to be used with care. Found stuff to catch steppers too.

I have never been so equally frustrated and satisfied by a game before.

Oh, and do all the characters have an utterly impractical and too long string? I saw the Feng one that's 1121342222 and I couldn't stop laughing.

Oh and I didn't realize there was another parry besides shifting clouds which I find too telegraphed to be terribly useful. That back 13 one. Gonna come in handy with people that just won't stop pressing buttons

One other question, can the qcf dash he has be used to low profile stuff cause it looks like it could.

Getting frustrated at what you think is BS is a right of passage for new Tekken players friend, don't sweat it

It's my favorite FG franchise ever, I've played it for like at least 15 years now, and I still get annoyed at poo poo sometimes, important thing is just take breaks or hit the lab when it gets to you :)

I need to find some time in my schedule to actually nail down a main and rank up some more in this, honestly everyone is so fun to play in this though, best Tekken in decades honestly.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Getting frustrated at what you think is BS is a right of passage for new Tekken players friend, don't sweat it

It's my favorite FG franchise ever, I've played it for like at least 15 years now, and I still get annoyed at poo poo sometimes, important thing is just take breaks or hit the lab when it gets to you :)

I need to find some time in my schedule to actually nail down a main and rank up some more in this, honestly everyone is so fun to play in this though, best Tekken in decades honestly.

The replay tool being so good is a god send for this, helps so much to actually wash the salt off and learn from your mistakes

In character news, I watched Cuddlecore playing Alisa in TNS last night and man.. I forgot how fun that character looks with all the rocket stuff and the pretty high flying combos + chainsaws. I'm honestly not sure who I want to play long term, Lili is really fun and I've finally started to feel like I have a (baby) gameplan with her, Azu just seems pretty dang strong in general, Alisa looks cool.. I still need to try a few more characters as well.

I did do a tekken to someone last night where I just went low like 6 times in a row and then when they finally decided to duck launched them for the win. That was pretty funny, though man I can only imagine how salty they were as the launcher hit, I know I woulda been fuming lmao

Edit: also I've been trying my hitbox with Tekken since my wrists were sore from the lever, which I generally prefer. No verdict yet, but it seems like it might be a little better on my wrists? I'll have to see how I'm doing by the end of the week.

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 14, 2024

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
My highlight moment of last night's ranked matches was correctly using the sidestep to dodge a Reina attack and then bashing her in the back of the head with an ss1+2. I was so excited I forgot to follow up with a combo and just let it rock.

Alternatively it was when I closed out a round against the same Reina with Kuma's rock n roll circus throw.

Faced my first Jack-8 in ranked and uh, wow he just shits out damage huh? It was neat that he was customised to look like a giant robot Duke Nukem though.

I love Tekken 8.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

My highlight moment of last night's ranked matches was correctly using the sidestep to dodge a Reina attack and then bashing her in the back of the head with an ss1+2. I was so excited I forgot to follow up with a combo and just let it rock.

Alternatively it was when I closed out a round against the same Reina with Kuma's rock n roll circus throw.

Faced my first Jack-8 in ranked and uh, wow he just shits out damage huh? It was neat that he was customised to look like a giant robot Duke Nukem though.

I love Tekken 8.

I ended up running into a Jack-8 for the first time last night and uh.. I got some homework to do in the replay tool because man. It felt like everything I blocked was plus, I was able to step a fair amount of stuff they were doing but I was doing a terrible job punishing the whiff so that's just something I need to be better about

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
The interactable replays and crazy detailed practice mode should be a golden standard in all games with complex control mechanics, regardless of genre. It's so impressive.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I ended up running into a Jack-8 for the first time last night and uh.. I got some homework to do in the replay tool because man. It felt like everything I blocked was plus, I was able to step a fair amount of stuff they were doing but I was doing a terrible job punishing the whiff so that's just something I need to be better about

If Jack hasn't changed too much, (and depending on your character) get in and stay in his face: he has some command grabs but his main game is good range with big damage, but he's typically fairly slow up close and personal. His lows are also kinda meh, he's got a few good ones. Watch out for his like 1 2 delay explosive punches, they come out fast and hit with more range than you think.

Jack relies on a lot of Gorilla power and range

What moves were giving you trouble specifially?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

If Jack hasn't changed too much, (and depending on your character) get in and stay in his face: he has some command grabs but his main game is good range with big damage, but he's typically fairly slow up close and personal. His lows are also kinda meh, he's got a few good ones. Watch out for his like 1 2 delay explosive punches, they come out fast and hit with more range than you think.

Jack relies on a lot of Gorilla power and range

What moves were giving you trouble specifially?

I don't remember all the moves unfortunately (mostly because I don't really know much about Jack either), but the ones that got me the most were the uh.. exploding elbow move? The one where he does the thing and then sorta rocks back afterwards (and sometimes flexes which I think is a new stance?) that I've seen a lot in streams. That and him just boxing me out once I blocked one of the explosion things since they seemed to push me back pretty far.

It seemed like I could step the elbow thing as Lili at least, but my punishes were bad. The rounds that I did take were mostly based off of that and then just forcing him to sit there and defend since his defense wasn't great. Weirdly I tried to step and got hit by df2 so I think I maybe was stepping the wrong way? I don't think there are homing df2s at least..

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
If jack enters his new stance you are guessing for your life, especially if he's in heat or managed to absorb a hit with his entry into stance, it's super oppressive.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I think he’s the single least seen character for me in ranked. Lars/Claudio probably tied for second. Finally went up against a couple Ninas last night, which was really fun.

Jack seems really cool though. Love that range.

I see King the most. Still poo poo at throw breaking. I duck a lot around them haha.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I did some punishment training last night and it made me realize I'm like 1/4 of a second too slow in hitting some of my punishers.

I think it's because when I play, I'll try and follow and be a step early to what the enemy is doing so then I get counter-hit. So I learned to not do that, but that caused me to be a bit late on executing my 14/15 frame punishers.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Jesus gently caress lol

https://youtu.be/P1aVwY1VIws?si=EFIAUQxIBR6fst-E

What’s Tekken balance been like historically?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Balance has usually been good with some glaring exceptions. I'm not gonna watch that video but Anakin is a top player in the world and could probably beat most people with any character and 5 moves. That being said Drag is a bit overtuned but hes nothing like launch leroy in t7 for instance.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
.0 Tekken is always a complete mess on balance, with overtuned moves, broken hitboxes, exploits, and silly setups. I think at least they've managed to avoid infinites since 5.0 but I could be wrong. The most egregious stuff you'd never see on the home release because they were tuned during the 1 or 2 years of arcade time before that. T8 is the first I think that didn't have an early arcade version (even 7 did still), so this is a full .0 Tekken and will have likely have plenty of messy poo poo.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 14, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Autsj posted:

.0 Tekken is always a complete mess on balance, with overtuned moves, broken hitboxes, exploits, and silly setups. I think at least they've managed to avoid infinites since 5.0 but I could be wrong. The most egregious stuff you'd never see on the home release because they were tuned during the 1 or 2 years of arcade time before that. T8 is the first I think that didn't have an early arcade version (even 7 did still), so this is a full .0 Tekken and will have likely have plenty of messy poo poo.

Yeah that matches my impression. Seems a little funky early and better with time. Thanks for confirming.

Seltzer posted:

Balance has usually been good with some glaring exceptions. I'm not gonna watch that video but Anakin is a top player in the world and could probably beat most people with any character and 5 moves. That being said Drag is a bit overtuned but hes nothing like launch leroy in t7 for instance.

I know who he is I just thought it was funny. What kind of glaring exceptions? Just academically speaking because I find balance fascinating.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Tekken 4 Jin was notoriously broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xot58QflE28

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

T4 Jin also had one of the best default costumes in all of Tekken IMHO and every game since I've wanted them to bring it back in some way shape or form.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah that matches my impression. Seems a little funky early and better with time. Thanks for confirming.

I know who he is I just thought it was funny. What kind of glaring exceptions? Just academically speaking because I find balance fascinating.

I dont know much about pre t7 stuff because I only played those entries way later (I think t6 bob was super overtuned? Bob sucked as a character and I'm glad he's gone). In t7 the two big issues were the 2d characters were really hard to balance and VERY strong at the highest levels for a long part of the games cycle. Their unique properties made it hard to balance. On launch some people warned they might be a problem but it took the players awhile to really exploit and use them to their peak ability and then they ruled the roost at the top level for quite a long time. The good news was that the execution to use them at that level was really high so it didnt effect like 90% of players in ranked. T7 leroy was the most busted thing in the whole game cycle. Again, it's why I said he's boring, they gave him every good tekken tool and good frames on them. Oh and they gave him a once a match special rage drive like attack that you could use whenever for no loving reason (Myself and most people think it was them trialing a mechanic for 8 that they didnt use). It was so bad there was a tekken world tour top 8 where 7 out of the players were using leroy (who had just recently came out so shows how easy he was to use high level vs bryan or hwoarang or yoshi specialists) and one was using Julia (who also was a bit too strong and annoying) and everyone was pulling for the Julia player.

e- it was 6 out of the top 8. You can see his reign of terror here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QryNCEb-2B0

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 14, 2024

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks (again) to those who suggested characters who might click with me.

A number of you were absolutely right - Bryan is 100% what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, his flow/execution doesn't click with me. Might be a character I revisit down the line when I've internalised How To Tekken a bit more.
Claudio was, surprisingly, a bit of a dark horse contender because b1, hopkick, SS4 and STB f1+2,1+2 all scratched that itch a bit and WR2 is pretty much a projectile in and of itself, but then I wasn't super vibing with his kit once I did get up close.

But ultimately I'm going to focus on Asuka for a while, her strong defensive kit is very satisfying and she's nowhere near as execution heavy as Bryan feels. I think what I wanted was a character that felt to me more reactive "I guessed right so you eat poo poo" rather than proactive "You guessed wrong so you eat poo poo" and yeah Asuka is definitely doing that for me.

Time to go binge all of Fergus' vids and get rolling!

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Nice, I nailed it. B+3 your way to victory! She's very annoying to fight against especially when you're new to Tekken due to her defensive style and parries.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I like Leeroy a lot more now that he's not busted: I love him as a concept, and he seems way more fair in 8.

Plus he's voiced by Jet from Cowboy Bebop, which owns :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man, since I hit the yellow ranks I'm getting a whole ton more one and dones. I guess being able to lose points is probably to blame for that. Over halfway through yellows though :toot:

I fought a Victor for the first time, but when I didn't press buttons on him he sorta ran out of ideas and then just started to back up and try to tag me with an armored move on the way in. It didn't really work since I'd just go low to poke him out of it, but I should check to see if/how punishable it is :hmmyes: