Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Still bitter that we came so, so close to the no-fucks contestant winning a series for once. Some day.

Julian, you mean? Or...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Following weird instructions given misaligned tools and materials is probably half of art school.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Following weird instructions given misaligned tools and materials is probably half of art school.

That reminds me of something I heard a long time ago. The difference between western art schools and asian art schools is in asia they teach you to do the alignment first. Then they measure everything you make. And when the measurement of everything is correct, they give you your degree.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Lord Bob posted:

The "don't give a gently caress" contestants like Liza can be so much fun, especially cos Liza did care about some tasks, but also just bailed when she wanted to. Her giggling and running away from the cake sitting was such a delight, as was hiding from the production team in a graveyard after running away from the candle task.

And "call your agent" was such an incredible atomic put-down, it was astonishing there were any molecules of Russel left on that stage.

yeah no i love that type of player. I understand the hate, I just think it's very funny, actually, lmao.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Sorry but nothing will be more disappointing than Katherine Ryan winning Series 2 solely due to a stupid live task scoring mechanic that they used once and then never again.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Kloaked00 posted:

Well?........

OK. I guess that my silence tells something about how I felt about it.

I went down from the Midlands by car, parked up at Westfield shopping centre, and ate there. Walked to television centre, and we queued for a good couple of hours, which was a bit of a pain, but to be expected. I was there with my partner, and my two kids (12 and 14.)

We must have looked photogenic, because a runner put us in a balcony behind the contestants, across from the TM and assistant.

We were there for the filming of the first semi-final, so the format is already different, with (I assume) the highest-scoring kids from the first rounds making the two semis, then the top two from each semi, with the highest-scoring third-placed kid, into the final.

I used to teach at an international school in the Middle East. The school ran a "...Got Talent" show year after year, and I was always recruited to be the Simon Cowell judge - mean, snippy - but I couldn't do it. I always felt that I had to encourage and offer positive advice. And I think the Junior Taskmaster format suffers from that problem - Greg can be acerbic to professional grown comedians, but Rose can't be too mean to kids. Her comments often felt like a poo poo sandwich - compliment, criticism, compliment - and she was never withering, or too rude.

Rose was fine, I think. Mike was good, but some of his sections felt over-scripted and nonsensical.

The kids were very stage-school-y, and did well in the filmed tasks, with some lateral, outside-the-box thinking that would shame some grown competitors. One of the kids was a proper pain in the rear end, and Rose had a bit of trouble relating to him, I think. Another of the kids got upset when they thought that they'd missed out on a place in the final.

The show misses the banter, the wit, of the regular show, just because of the contestants' age. My kids preferred Taskmaster Bleeped, but I look forward to seeing how the episode will be edited together.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

WhiteHowler posted:

Julian, you mean? Or...

Of course. Too many try-hards in the Champion of Champions. I wanna see a Jo Brand energy get in there. And we came so close* :qq:

*(5 points)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jo Brand is the worst, least interesting type of contestant and her gimmick of "not giving a gently caress" grew thin around the third episode. She just sucks the energy out of the room because she is too cool to care.

It didn't help that she was paired with an idiot for group tasks.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

you have to admit Julian ruled tho

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Still bitter that we came so, so close to the no-fucks contestant winning a series for once. Some day.

Also Noel might have been over-rated in tasks, but he was also just wicked good for a Taskmaster contestant. iirc surprisingly athletic, knows how to make art, and did off the wall poo poo with intention.

Noel might have been the single best taskmaster contestant in terms of all-round competency. By default he had to win because he was so drat good at every aspect of the show. Athletic, thought outside the box, committed to his ideas, actually thought through things instead of just started doing, un-crackable by the show's intentional pressure, AND able to convince Greg in the studio.

Teach posted:

OK. I guess that my silence tells something about how I felt about it.

I went down from the Midlands by car, parked up at Westfield shopping centre, and ate there. Walked to television centre, and we queued for a good couple of hours, which was a bit of a pain, but to be expected. I was there with my partner, and my two kids (12 and 14.)

We must have looked photogenic, because a runner put us in a balcony behind the contestants, across from the TM and assistant.

We were there for the filming of the first semi-final, so the format is already different, with (I assume) the highest-scoring kids from the first rounds making the two semis, then the top two from each semi, with the highest-scoring third-placed kid, into the final.

I used to teach at an international school in the Middle East. The school ran a "...Got Talent" show year after year, and I was always recruited to be the Simon Cowell judge - mean, snippy - but I couldn't do it. I always felt that I had to encourage and offer positive advice. And I think the Junior Taskmaster format suffers from that problem - Greg can be acerbic to professional grown comedians, but Rose can't be too mean to kids. Her comments often felt like a poo poo sandwich - compliment, criticism, compliment - and she was never withering, or too rude.

Rose was fine, I think. Mike was good, but some of his sections felt over-scripted and nonsensical.

The kids were very stage-school-y, and did well in the filmed tasks, with some lateral, outside-the-box thinking that would shame some grown competitors. One of the kids was a proper pain in the rear end, and Rose had a bit of trouble relating to him, I think. Another of the kids got upset when they thought that they'd missed out on a place in the final.

The show misses the banter, the wit, of the regular show, just because of the contestants' age. My kids preferred Taskmaster Bleeped, but I look forward to seeing how the episode will be edited together.

Have you ever been to a taping of the normal show? I'd be curious how it compares, as typically some of the flow/cohesion complaints tend to resolve in the edit.

I also suspect any "upset due to misunderstanding" would be pulled in the edit.

I don't know if I'd personally have any expectations of much banter or wit from kids. Just some fun watching kids do weird poo poo.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Why does the youtube upload of TMNZ series 1 ep 9 cut out the intro and prize tasks and start right at the first task...

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Der Kyhe posted:

Jo Brand is the worst, least interesting type of contestant and her gimmick of "not giving a gently caress" grew thin around the third episode. She just sucks the energy out of the room because she is too cool to care.

It didn't help that she was paired with an idiot for group tasks.

I'm fine with "I don't care if I win" -- Julian (and a few others) have been great in that regard.

Jo's "gently caress you, I'm not even going to try and sort of resent being here" got tiresome fast.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Julian was great because he could "I bet you're one of those that own a barbecue" sound like an insult-

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Just finished a rewatch of TMNZ series 4 (really enjoyed it, so many great moments) and the last episode is named "Where is Scorpio", which is a line Paul says and it got me wondering, it doesn't seem like many episodes names are derived from a line from the Taskmaster or Assistant. This is the only one I can think of.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I know a lot of the recap places make a note of where the episode title comes from, but I can't remember any off the top of my head.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

"The 75th Question" from the UK series springs to mind.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

Just finished a rewatch of TMNZ series 4 (really enjoyed it, so many great moments) and the last episode is named "Where is Scorpio", which is a line Paul says and it got me wondering, it doesn't seem like many episodes names are derived from a line from the Taskmaster or Assistant. This is the only one I can think of.

Forks and Marbles

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

Boxturret posted:

Immediate thought for me is "No stars for naughty boys"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tony Three Pies

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We finished watching TM Minnesota. It was good to start with but the quality really amplified in the second half of S2. Bravo all around.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://youtu.be/s7nkoWxl6xY?si=cdm7B_aJRs6lbVXp

A YouTube exclusive series hosted by little Alex Horne? Could be good!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Disappointing Pie posted:

Not available in the UK :-(

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Looks to be just a clip show with commentary by our favourite taskmaster assistant.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jehde posted:

Looks to be just a clip show with commentary by our favourite taskmaster assistant.

Paul Williams is in it!?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Tom Cashman, too???

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Ollie!?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pilvi Hämäläinen?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

is it going to be sub gated(is that a thing, im not sure if it is?)? like i think he was just doing the standard like-sub-bell thing but im not sure.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So it is a clip show but with some commentary by Alex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqTHpuqp_EQ

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Suurmestari Season 5 regulars have been published:
-Pirjo Lonka, an actress
-Eero Ritala, a comedian and game show regular
-Pamela Tola, another actress best known for comedies
-Joonas Nordman, another comedian and game show regular

Pilvi will be the assistant as always, and unfortunately the Taskmaster will still be Jaakko Saariluoma. However, Jaakko tends to work better if he is familiar with the regulars, he has worked before with all but Pirjo (I think), and Eero and Joonas are both on the side of snarky motormouths. So overall this does look quite good for a lineup.

Guest competitors are tv-show rotation regulars, but it seems that they have been focusing on getting people are either comedians, reality show regulars or otherwise people who are known quality and don't have a rod up their butt about appearances. So it took them only 5 years to understand that comical competitions work better if the competitors can take a joke and be the joke.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Very tangentially TM related, but Sam Campbell is on a new Off Menu with James Acaster and Ed Gamble podcast as a live audience guest that was recorded when his series of TM was broadcasting and it's very funny to hear Acaster flummoxed by another guy doing Acaster stuff

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Susain Wokoma one great too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Susan's was fantastic. She would have been the lunatic on literally any series but the one she was on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Eat This Glob posted:

Very tangentially TM related, but Sam Campbell is on a new Off Menu with James Acaster and Ed Gamble podcast as a live audience guest that was recorded when his series of TM was broadcasting and it's very funny to hear Acaster flummoxed by another guy doing Acaster stuff

Off Menu has become my favourite Taskmaster contestant interview show. A lot better than any of the actual Taskmaster podcasts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

stev posted:

Off Menu has become my favourite Taskmaster contestant interview show. A lot better than any of the actual Taskmaster podcasts.

I’ve been working my way through it, and it’s been an absolute delight. I was slightly put off by the 2 consecutive episodes where I had to stop listening because of the guest (Kemah Bob and Mike Skinner), but then the incredible follow up of Kumail Nanjiani, Joe Lycett, and the Taskmaster himself Greg put me back on track.

Greg’s was an absolute rollercoaster. :allears:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Having now listened to it, I found the Campbell episode underwhelming. But futute TM contestant John Robins' appearance was top notch.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Campbell is just full-on monkeycheese and I couldn't finish the episode.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Rewatching S5 and the live task in ep 3 was table tennis with words, where the contestants have to say a word everytime they get the ball. Their word has to start with the last letter of the previous word. Great chaos energy and Alex screws over Bob Mortimer. Nish Kumar brings the same manic energy he brings to the whole season and it is incredible :allears:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Rewatching S5 and the live task in ep 3 was table tennis with words, where the contestants have to say a word everytime they get the ball. Their word has to start with the last letter of the previous word. Great chaos energy and Alex screws over Bob Mortimer. Nish Kumar brings the same manic energy he brings to the whole season and it is incredible :allears:

Phoenix being the title of that episode is beyond perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1lrBTVEZbs