Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How come it's so dead in here; where the gently caress is everybody??

I've been busy playing Turbo Overkill and Clive Barker's Undying this month and both are great fun! Also BLOOD because I'll be playing that until the day I die

Convex fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

I guess it's a pretty quiet period for them now - apart from Graven, what's the next big release? Wrath?
Dark Forces Remastered on Feb 28, Selaco on May 31, assorted cool mods and mapsets in-between.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The two time displaced copies of the Daikatana came into contact, causing the space-time continuum to implode. As a side effect, retro shooters no longer exist because nothing can be "retro" anymore.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

John Murdoch posted:

The two time displaced copies of the Daikatana came into contact, causing the space-time continuum to implode. As a side effect, retro shooters no longer exist because nothing can be "retro" anymore.

This wouldn't have happened if Hiro had better control over the Daikatana's mystical properties.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Dark Forces Remastered on Feb 28, Selaco on May 31, assorted cool mods and mapsets in-between.

I'm really excited for DF Remastered, hope there isn't a long wait afterwards for Outlaws Remastered as I'm finding it pretty hard to go through the original Windows version of that tbh

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm waiting for DF Remastered and Selaco for sure, until then mostly playing RPGs right now instead of shooters.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

I've been busy playing Turbo Overkill and Clive Barker's Undying this month and both are great fun! Also BLOOD because I'll be playing that until the day I die

:discourse:

anilEhilated posted:

e: Aw hell, thought this was the Doom wad thread. In more retro-shootery news: I loved the hell out of Blood West, even if the third area seemed like it got a lot less effort put into it. I guess it's a pretty quiet period for them now - apart from Graven, what's the next big release? Wrath?

I know what you mean. I liked Blood West a lot; more than most, maybe. Despite that, it's one of those games I'll probably never pick up again, but would get the sequel on release day (were it to be made).

Has anybody mentioned Delilah in this thread? It looks like it's going to be a nightmarish Strife, which I'm totally A-O-K with https://store.steampowered.com/app/2002610/Delilah/

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Has anybody mentioned Delilah in this thread? It looks like it's going to be a nightmarish Strife, which I'm totally A-O-K with https://store.steampowered.com/app/2002610/Delilah/

Reveal trailer was a while ago and I asked the dev about it:

"The game's development has been put on hold until Rum & Gun comes out of early access. That should happen in March, and after that I'm back working on Delilah full time."

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

whoa this looks great

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XYJ2Y9AJhg

New Civvie. More Duke!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol Civvie being as :eyepop: as I was that ZERO HOUR was a Build title.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

huh, chatting about the old Duke games on the N64 last night, looked it up today and Zero Hour was a Build title!?

https://twitter.com/LuciferBPolaris/status/1434990984497147911

Shame the source isn't available, I'd love to see another N64 remaster / port on PC here.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I still remember the look of disappointment on my mom's face when I decided to go with Duke Nukem in Land of the Babes instead of Dino Crisis when she took me to Funcoland as a kid.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did you explain to her that Duke is kind to babes and respects their autonomy (DNF not canon)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'll contribute: After taking somebody's advice and playing Ozonia (a good WAD), I am about 20-ish levels into Eviternity (a great WAD) and am thinking about going to Eviternity II or Valiant after that.

The only thing about Eviternity is that it blindsides you with a level (map 15? 16?) that has like 900 enemies in it and took me several hours to complete, which was sandwiched between a bunch of levels that were hilariously smaller by comparison.

I'm in the middle of playing Star Trek elite force. Besides one forced stealth mission it's been decent fun so far

Oh yeah and I've learned that the q3a engine apparently did not support alt+tab? I had to download a special exe someone made to force it lol

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Did you explain to her that Duke is kind to babes and respects their autonomy (DNF not canon)

I was deeply embarrassed by the choice but I should have leaned on the cover art showing them as strong, independent women

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Quake II question: In the Call of the Machine mission "Darkest Depths", is there any way to actually use the data disc you pick up near the end? I didn't see any kind of terminal to use it in.

Otherwise, that was a pretty good callback finale.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was deeply embarrassed by the choice but I should have leaned on the cover art showing them as strong, independent women

God drat brand new release PS1 jewel cases still get me in the feels.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I still remember the look of disappointment on my mom's face when I decided to go with Duke Nukem in Land of the Babes instead of Dino Crisis when she took me to Funcoland as a kid.

My mom thought dn3d was hilarious and bought it for me for christmas lol

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I love how you can look at those outfits and hairstyles and confidently place it in 2000.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

My mom thought dn3d was hilarious and bought it for me for christmas lol

Oh yeah my parents bought me Duke 3D Atomic Edition as a reward in 6th grade, but I'm not sure they were aware of the strippers with the six-inch-long nipples in it (or so I thought they were at the time).

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol Civvie being as :eyepop: as I was that ZERO HOUR was a Build title.

Is there more info on what it really means that the Zero Hour engine was based on Build? It seems like a weird decision to make a full 3D polygonal game on top of a sector based engine like Build, unless maybe they just borrowed the map format or something. I've never played the game so I can't tell if it has the same limitations Build did with regards to level geometry, moving sectors, etc.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

Is there more info on what it really means that the Zero Hour engine was based on Build? It seems like a weird decision to make a full 3D polygonal game on top of a sector based engine like Build, unless maybe they just borrowed the map format or something. I've never played the game so I can't tell if it has the same limitations Build did with regards to level geometry, moving sectors, etc.

The game files were dumped and the maps load in the build engine. Plus Civvie kills himself with a door in the video.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Kins posted:

Feb 28 to May 31 is a giant stretch though. I'm still hoping for FA but I think it's years from being done tbh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also Wrath Aeon of Ruin 1.0 on the 27th, for real not clickbait

Hyperviolent and Beyond Sunset will be getting content updates in the near future

and Dread Delusion is at 0.7.1 as of Jan 31st, so i think a 1.0 release this year is possible

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That “ice skating uphill” reference in Zero Hour was incredible

I feel bad I never played that game when I was a kid. It looks great

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

also Wrath Aeon of Ruin 1.0 on the 27th, for real not clickbait

Hyperviolent and Beyond Sunset will be getting content updates in the near future

and Dread Delusion is at 0.7.1 as of Jan 31st, so i think a 1.0 release this year is possible

I'm still waiting at that boss portal in Wrath with maxed health, armor and I think close to maxed dark armor.

God I hope I don't lose my save. That game's pretty fun though

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Milo and POTUS posted:

God I hope I don't lose my save. That game's pretty fun though

...well, I got bad news about what previous patches have done to saves.

And what engine it's running on.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Cripes, it's like the Call of the Machine expansion for Quake II is like the entryway into Quake slaughtermaps. I'm surprisingly fine with the amount of resistance being thrown at you at a time, and it's a lot of fun. All I have to do is the final part, but it's been a blast.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really love the bit where they give you a BFG and then moments later a huge wall comes down and suddenly you're in a giant room with like 100 low level enemies rushing you. It's dumb cheap thrills but it's what that weapon demands and the only real way to make the most out of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

Cripes, it's like the Call of the Machine expansion for Quake II is like the entryway into Quake slaughtermaps. I'm surprisingly fine with the amount of resistance being thrown at you at a time, and it's a lot of fun. All I have to do is the final part, but it's been a blast.

It makes Quake 2 good, its insane.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Quake 2 was always good. :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Quake 2 dm owns so much it makes you forget how bleh the campaign was

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I finished Wolf 09, I'm glad I played it once but I'm probably never gonna play it again.

Some quick tips in case anyone else goes after it (I did NOT play with Retrostein or any other rebalance mods):

-you really do want to use a walkthrough and find all the collectibles. IGN has an okay one that takes you through each map step by step: https://www.ign.com/wikis/wolfenstein/Walkthrough and here's one with maps of the main urban areas: https://www.supercheats.com/guides/wolfenstein
-you want to do this with a walkthrough even though walkthroughs for fps are terrible and bad because the collectibles are organized to be needle in haystack poo poo like it's a completely open world game, but the actual missions aren't designed that way at all! so unless you want to replay an entire mission start to finish just for one bar of gold, save yourself the trouble and just use a walkthrough from the get go. speaking of, one of the collectibles in midtown east cannot be collected except when you exit the paranormal base mission, so look that up
-also, it's not obvious but when you collect all intel you get all weapon upgrades. when you collect all tomes of power, you get all veil upgrades. so get all of them, you don't have enough money to buy everything and getting those last few pieces is really nice for the end of the game.
-speaking of upgrades, you can generally go with whatever feels good. however, ammo for anything stronger than the mg43 is pretty rare unless you're specifically buying it. you can farm particle cannon ammo off heavy guards (the guys with the two weak spots that you shoot to open up a third weak spot to kill them) when they spawn in the outside areas, but that's just kinda boring. rarely in the mid to late game you can sometimes find flamethrower dudes the same way. panzerschreck ammo is rare as hen's teeth though.
-personally though, i wouldn't bother upgrading the flammenwerfer (the flamethrower) at all. you get it so late and it's really just not adding much use to your arsenal. it works well on cleaning up the snoopers (crouching dudes who swarm you and melee you) but 95% of the time you've got no problems handling them and the other time is literally the final boss fight so go hog fuckin wild there.
-conversely, upgrade the poo poo out of the particle cannon. it feels amazing, it's fun to see it incinerate enemies, and although the ammo is rare, it's actually your shotgun equivalent.
-the leichenfaust is your bfg (also worth upgrading). If you're NOT playing with a walkthrough there's something really weird you need to know about the leichenfaust: it has the anti-gravity powers you see a bunch at the beginning of the game. this means you can shoot it to pull up portcullises.
-the tesla gun is also good and worth upgrading. weirdly, the upgrade it has to make it usable in melee makes it literally the best melee weapon in the entire game, if that's your kind of thing.
-the point of no return is leaving for the airfield. make sure you've got all the collectibles and side poo poo done by then, including the radio towers in downtown (and then the radio station side mission). you'll get one more opportunity to buy stuff at the end of the airfield, but you'll still be collecting intel in the last level afterwards.

overall, i think the semi-open world structure drags it down enough that i'm not gonna play it again, but the actual gameplay itself is pretty great and most of the mid-2000s shooter suckiness can be overlooked (your sprint is fuckin ghastly though). one interesting part to how it plays is that your veil powers are good enough, and required for a lot of fights to give you some edge, so even though the game has regenerating health, you can't treat it like a cover shooter and stay in one spot. you're always looking out for veil refills. I'd recommend one playthrough for anyone else looking for a fun Wolf time, not as good as the installments on either side but worth playing for awhile.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Arivia posted:

overall, i think the semi-open world structure drags it down enough that i'm not gonna play it again, but the actual gameplay itself is pretty great and most of the mid-2000s shooter suckiness can be overlooked (your sprint is fuckin ghastly though). one interesting part to how it plays is that your veil powers are good enough, and required for a lot of fights to give you some edge, so even though the game has regenerating health, you can't treat it like a cover shooter and stay in one spot. you're always looking out for veil refills. I'd recommend one playthrough for anyone else looking for a fun Wolf time, not as good as the installments on either side but worth playing for awhile.

:agreed:

It's really fun while it lasts though. Raven do gun violence better than most, and it's sad they never get a chance to make non-COD games any more.

edit: GUN VIOLENCE would make a good game name imo

Also I started playing HROT properly this week and this game has both a 'no spiders' option AND a kick button. Every game should have these features.

I'm really enjoying the game as well. The palette is strangely comforting and the sound design is excellent, contributing to a convincing atmosphere in which to jump around and blast things. It feels a bit like Duke 3D with the realistic (yet abstract) buildings and signs everywhere, plus the little theatre with a video of :siren:lenin:siren: reminds me of Duke E1M1.

The retro FPS revival has really spoilt us with riches :love:

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 14, 2024

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
edit: might as well put something here too

Convex fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 14, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah HROT really feels like Duke 3d made in the Quake engine, or maybe Quake made in an insane version of build.

The mighty boot equivalent is a little disappointing because you put down your gun for a second to use it. It's not awful but coming straight from Cultic it was a little issue when I'd try to get in people's faces with it.

HROT's vibes and setpieces are pretty incredible and it's got a very unique sense of humor about it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I almost never use the kick in cultic for anything other than locomotion anyway. Sometimes you'll kick to stun enemies while you're reloading but much like the hatchet it's not like your starved for ammo.

Did civvie ever do the rest of Hrot?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did civvie ever do the rest of Hrot?
He did not, apparently because he didn't have anything else to say about it, so he did the STALKER videos instead.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also, Beyond Sunset got a big update today!

quote:

Citizens of Sunset City, more good changes have arrived! The previous Minor Major Update made the ground for this one…

…And this one is MAJOR Major.

Do remember that, as usual with those updates, your saves will no longer work. If you want to continue your current gameplay, change your game branch to “Latest”. Otherwise, create a new game and have fun!

So. What’s in this game overhaul?
E1M1 overhaul - update progression track with changes to level layouts for easier navigation;
E1 - addition of 7 secrets in existing maps;
E2 - addition of 10 secrets in existing maps;
E1 - addition of new timed challenge level;
E2 - addition of new timed challenge level;
E2 - addition of new timed challenge level;
E3 - the ability to repair turrets;
E3 - remove reliance on hacking puzzles, limit to 3 puzzles;
Major overhaul to every single combat arena in the game - reducing reliance on large numbers of enemies and multiple waves in favor of streamlined 1 - 2 wave format per fight;
Update of the enemy roster to balance the diverse enemy types;
Increasing the effectiveness of weapons against certain enemy types to encourage more weapon switching;
Significantly reducing reliance on the powerkill mechanic, decoupling it from health and ammo management;
Making the Katana-reflect more consistent and effective.

The combat overhaul is truly an overhaul. We've reworked every single fight in the game to meet some criteria:
"no filler" – fights don't drag on with endless waves. All fights have been streamlined to 2 wave maximums;
more incidental combat – using enemy placement to better guide player movement;
better escalation in challenge level, fights have clear goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Kins posted:

He did not, apparently because he didn't have anything else to say about it, so he did the STALKER videos instead.

Didn't have anything else to say about it?! The first chapter is the most normal!