Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For those that have played original Persona 3 multiple times over the years, how are you finding Persona 3 Reload? Is there enough new there to keep you motivated to get through the game? I'm finding that while I love Persona 3 to death, i've played through the game so much, that Reload feels like its really not for me (more for people brand new to Persona). And I am 100% okay with that, I appreciate the new coat of paint, my motivation to get through the game yet again just isn't there. More of a personal problem, then anything wrong with the game itself. I am just a couple hours into Reload though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I said come in! posted:

For those that have played original Persona 3 multiple times over the years, how are you finding Persona 3 Reload? Is there enough new there to keep you motivated to get through the game? I'm finding that while I love Persona 3 to death, i've played through the game so much, that Reload feels like its really not for me (more for people brand new to Persona). And I am 100% okay with that, I appreciate the new coat of paint, my motivation to get through the game yet again just isn't there. More of a personal problem, then anything wrong with the game itself. I am just a couple hours into Reload though.

I last finished Persona 3 a few weeks ago so I chose a pretty insane way to go about this, but... eh, it kinda varies. I've been able to get to June relatively quickly, but I played the opening months almost a year ago so they're not quite as fresh in my memory. I'll say the gameplay feels relatively fresh, but the writing doesn't. The Social Links feel a lot less perfunctory, at least? In the original they were purely functional and the way they were written didn't capture me at all, which is less of a problem in Reload even if the scenes are mostly identical. Part of that's the voice acting, but they've added just enough lines that it's less of an issue. As for the main story, I'm not feeling like it's done much yet to change my impression. The weird thing is that I find myself wishing it was either less faithful, more willing to play around with scenes and the general writing, or way more, sticking to the original game's ideas even if it's less user-friendly. It's kind of caught in a weird in-between for me.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 13, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

Emperor is my first max link this time around. dude gave me plenty of notes every time without extra hangouts. curious what everyone else maxed first

i'm about to finish chariot and everyone else is hovering in the 4-6 range because i struggle with commitment

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

The weird thing is that I find myself wishing it was either less faithful, more willing to play around with scenes and the general writing, or way more, sticking to the original game's ideas even if it's less user-friendly. It's kind of caught in a weird in-between for me..

i would totally play a modded version of reload that added back fatigue, not controlling party members and breaking social links for ignoring them too long

thus far the only time i've been seriously irritated was when i did tartarus and then literally the next day two more assholes got lost in it and i had to go back, which is not as often as i would like to be mad at this game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arist posted:

It's kind of caught in a weird in-between for me.

This is a really good way to explain it!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I said come in! posted:

:same:

I just hit May and I feel my motivation is in a steady decline p fast in a few days I had it on GP already. I play it between FFXIV new updates so I am taking my time technically but I feel like the coolness of the scenes and animations didn't make me feel hyped to climb Tartarus yet again for the 5th time around.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Feeling lucky that I haven't played most of P3 since 2008, because it definitely seems like it wouldn't hold up much for a replay if you remembered it clearly. A big part of my motivation is "rediscovering what even happens in the plot and like half the S-links."

I do think they should have made more extensive changes in certain areas, though. I'm specifically thinking of the visitable areas, which are really scarce in P3. I feel like it should have been possible to do something like P5R did with Kichijouji.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean it's very clear that there was a conscious attempt to essentially take P3 and graft it onto the mechanical and graphical skeleton of P5, the whole design ethos screams of an attempt to make people who've only played P5 feel as at home as possible. This isn't necessarily a bad thing in a vacuum, but it does mean that interesting systems like fatigue and jealousy got shitcanned because they didn't exist in P5.

idk I'm having fun with it but also I haven't played P3 for a hot minute. If I'd just recently come off playing it or the Portable remaster I definitely think I would have lost my patience by now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I know I'm the guy who just said I missed some of the old gameplay friction but it's very weird to see people pining over the jealousy system, which was extremely barebones and poorly implemented even if you think it was a good idea (I do not think this)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

I know I'm the guy who just said I missed some of the old gameplay friction but it's very weird to see people pining over the jealousy system, which was extremely barebones and poorly implemented even if you think it was a good idea (I do not think this)

I liked it as an idea for sure: you're supposed to be juggling a bunch of friends and hey guess what they're gonna get annoyed if you blow them off for ages or tell then you're going to show up and then don't. The implementation where it just made all the female confidants a landmine past a certain point because if you hung out with one twice in a row all the others would get pissed and reverse was extremely bad though, yes.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't think you could break social links in portable either can you?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sydin posted:

I liked it as an idea for sure: you're supposed to be juggling a bunch of friends and hey guess what they're gonna get annoyed if you blow them off for ages or tell then you're going to show up and then don't. The implementation where it just made all the female confidants a landmine past a certain point because if you hung out with one twice in a row all the others would get pissed and reverse was extremely bad though, yes.

the fact that a lot of the female links were forced romance wasn't really a flaw with the system it was just a flaw with the writing. Being at a major risk of breaking links because you're cheating on 5-6 different girls simultaneously makes perfect sense, the problem was that your only options were doing that or ignoring most of those links entirely because they just didn't write in a third option
The crux, really, is that 3 was the only one that made a genuine attempt at being a life sim rather than a wish fulfillment exercise. You can absolutely criticize some of the ways it handled that, but a lot of the things people find frustrating about it were implemented with that goal in mind and a lot of them worked well in that context. Abandoning that instead of iterating on it probably made 4 and 5 more accessible but in my opinion also less interesting, and I think reload suffers a little bit from dropping some of that instead of just modifying it a little to work better.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, I like being able to S-Link Yukari but stay friends, or Mitsuru, or Fuuka, or the other options. Letting you choose platonic vs romantic is cool and good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
More games should let the party members have their own money and buy their own equipment.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Clarste posted:

More games should let the party members have their own money and buy their own equipment.

Why are Koromaru and Aigis stealing money out of chests when we split up. What are they possibly doing with it

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Clarste posted:

at that point, Persona should become a hybrid RPG/Life Sim/Management game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never played the original P3 but all those s link systems sound horrible.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

Why are Koromaru and Aigis stealing money out of chests when we split up. What are they possibly doing with it

an optional event where you discover in like mid-january that korumaru has just been burying all the tartarus yen he stole in the backyard of the dorm would be funny

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I've never played the original P3 but all those s link systems sound horrible.

they are immensely frustrating(positive)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Being a manwhore should be punisheable

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Endgame P3R optional request question: Is the Elizabeth fight worth doing? And by "worth" I guess I mean how obtuse are the mechanics because I just tried it and she basically instakilled me constantly so I assume I broke some "rule" of the fight.

Also does it give a super nice (and probably unnecessary) reward?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You basically have to keep a running total of her HP because she does an instakill at break points, make sure you never try and use buffs/debuffs and never absorb or reflect anything she does because they also trigger a 9999 hp attack and have demons with abilities that let you survive a couple of those as well. Dunno what the reward is because gently caress that lol oh and she'll do a full heal at least once when you get her down to half health.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Artelier posted:

Endgame P3R optional request question: Is the Elizabeth fight worth doing? And by "worth" I guess I mean how obtuse are the mechanics because I just tried it and she basically instakilled me constantly so I assume I broke some "rule" of the fight.

the rules are:
no party members or you get 9999 Megidolaoned immediately
you can't apply tetrakarn or makarakarn or you get 9999 Megidolaoned immediately
if you use armageddon on her you get 9999 Megidolaoned immediately unless it kills her
if your persona is immune/block/repel to any of her elemental attacks, including because of equipment, they get replaced by 9999 Megidolaon
you will also get hit by 9999 Megidolaon when she goes under 13000 health, and when she goes under 10000 health, and she full heals herself at least once

in summation: no

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The jealousy system was bad because it forced you to date the female social links. If you didn't have to then, yeah, sure, get punished for dating everyone possible more than just a 'funny' scene.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hellioning posted:

The jealousy system was bad because it forced you to date the female social links. If you didn't have to then, yeah, sure, get punished for dating everyone possible more than just a 'funny' scene.

it didn't force you to, though, there's nothing about it that required that. it's just that the s links themselves were written to not give you any options other than dating or ignoring them. the jealousy thing was doing was inflicting the logical consequences of that on you. They could have very easily written in an option to stay platonic and had s links where you chose it not factor into the jealousy mechanic(because male s.links already didn't), they just didn't.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's what "forced you to" means.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You don't have to hang out with everyone. P3 was written with the assumption most people would not be maxing out links for everyone or even most people.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, you're not forced to play the game at all, do what you like, but in context "forced to date" obviously means "advancing the social link requires you to date" and interpreting it as anything else is just being pedantic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My first max link was Chariot. Then Hanged Man, then Moon, because look it's summer and there's only so many people you can hang out with.

Oxxidation posted:

it was emperor for me too

maxed all links on 1/29, no guide. I forgot that mitsuru’s available on pre-exam weeks, which was enough to let me inch over the line with the dating site passes

still way too restrictive in my opinion, especially with how often the game playfully takes away days or weeks of school time all the way to the end of the calendar. even if you were on NG+ I’m not sure how much more time you could free up, unless you skipped unique hangouts as well

You can probably skip unique hangouts to save some time, but I think that's about it since all your stat gains are at night and you only have two links there then anyway. At least you can probably unlock characteristics earlier.

It's one of the things I think they were too faithful with in regards to porting the original game, having nearly all your links be daytime. FeMC at least shifted Koromaru and Shinjiro to night.

I said come in! posted:

Unique situation for me since I played P3P but only on the female side since I heard about how much better her links were. So in a way I'm experiencing a bunch of new content.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Clarste posted:

That's what "forced you to" means.

it wasn't the jealousy system forcing you to do it, though. removing that system has no impact on whether you are forced to do it. you are forced to either cheat or ignore links because the links themselves did not provide any non-romance options for advancing them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Played Male MC P3P as my only P3 experience last year, so I'm actually more appreciative of Reload because the UI approach of Portable had me skimming through most of the non-Tartarus content.

FeMC paused playthrough might be revisted later once I'm done with both this and Rebirth.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They were saying that the jealousy was bad because of its interaction with another system (mandatory dating in female social links) and in fact would be fine on its own (as punishment for intentionally dating multiple girls when given a choice) You have failed reading comprehension extremely badly. Please raise your academics.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Clarste posted:

They were saying that the jealousy was bad because of its interaction with another system (mandatory dating in female social links) and in fact would be fine on its own (as punishment for intentionally dating multiple girls when given a choice) You have failed reading comprehension extremely badly. Please raise your academics.

if true, their post was referentially ambiguous and i bear no responsibility for failing to divine their meaning

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
megidolaon is how Elizabeth says “hello,” “goodbye” and “please pass the salt”

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

if true, their post was referentially ambiguous and i bear no responsibility for failing to divine their meaning

My apologies, sir and/or madam, for making an ambiguous post on the internet. I shall now commit sudoku.

In any event, yes, Clarste was correct, that was my intent.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hellioning posted:

My apologies, sir and/or madam, for making an ambiguous post on the internet. I shall now commit sudoku.

In any event, yes, Clarste was correct, that was my intent.

i accept your apology, see that it doesn't happen again

in light of your clarification, the opinion expressed in the post in question now aligns with my own

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD0RMDUr1zc

i will remember you always, until my life is exhausted

i haven't played P3 since the original FES and the last time i even touched a persona game was vanilla P5, so this got its hooks in me pretty deep. 73 hours and all achievements, though i didn't bother with elizabeth

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looks like the extra scenes are showing some of the lore

So the experimental persona's will revert back to shadows because they were never properly awakened.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Artelier posted:

well only worth it if you want 100% or whatever b/c if you can beat her you definitely don't need the reward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

And it looks like I’ll be a couple days short of getting all the social links, sorry Chihiro. Just did not realize how tight the school day schedule was compared to all the empty free days I’m sitting on