Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I want a reality game where the game is to trick your castmates and you get prizes like
$100 get someone to vote against thr majority
$1000 arrange a blindside
$5000 make someone cry
$10000 throw a competition with the intent to get someone out then get them out
$1000000 get someone to give up their immunity idol then vote them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't even remember who was there with him at the end!
You had Owen who was on the wrong side of everything the whole time. Some people thought he was a threat because he was an "underdog" but seems like with him and Romeo the juries think being wrong and on the outs all game is not actually a feather in your cap at the end.

Then you had Cassidy who at least felt more in the power structure, who had been part of this duo with Karla, and who would've been the viewers' chalk pick to win at the end. To be fair though Gabler was in on the votes just as much as she ever was. All in all like Ice Phoenix said, it was a pretty disappointing F3 because they managed to vote out all the exciting players the 3 TCs before.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Do we not have a traitors thread around here? Its like Survivor's weird fun aunt

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Do we not have a traitors thread around here? Its like Survivor's weird fun aunt

I meant to make one and now we are already halfway through, is there still interest?

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Traitors is fun but has some huge game flaws ready to be exploited in a few seasons

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Traitors is fun to watch but pretty much relies on producers constantly running interference to prevent total blowouts by one side or the other. That makes it interesting to discuss for about one page before it falls off

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Nicaragua into Redemption Island is pretty rough

I still think Philip could've won if he went into the ftc and said it was all an act and that he realized everyone was gushing over Rob and he had to do similar or he'd be gone

but as it played out Philip and Natalie basically were on Robs side for the ftc lol.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Watching The Bachelor (shut up) this week and these women (who, I assume, usually eat from the mansion’s nice kitchen) have gone absolutely loving buckwild at the announcement of KFC catering their afternoon pool party in a way that makes Karishma’s Applebees reaction look pretty normal

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think it's hilarious that the guys from The Bachelor and Love Island are probably the best faithful players in the game while Dan Gheesling and Parvati have been pretty bad traitors. Janelle was okay but who woulda thought.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dan Gheesling was the worst traitor ever which is kind of funny
* Instantly and permanently brought suspicion on himself by never talking ever, so there's traitor #1 going down
* Insists he needs to kill a guy after Parv/himself were tipped on the shield, implicating Parv as possible traitor #2
* On his way out of the game does an absolutely futile, completely hopeless assault on traitor #3, tipping her identity when she'd been sitting safely

How can it get any worse?

Anyway so all the traitors are sort of screwed and it's lined up for a faithful win, so of course then they bring recruitment into things and now who knows. I get recruiting Peter as a last ditch effort since they have Parv dead to rights, but everyone knows a recruitment just happened so Peter really should not shift gears at all in attacking Parv...if he leads in taking her out I guess we could still be headed to a traitor win, although all the faithful should eventually begin wondering why the Traitors don't kill Peter. But I do feel like we've seen a few hints toward a faithful win by maybe Trishelle and CT esp with Trishelle saying she thinks Dan was bussing Phaedra to clear himself, that little segment with Trishelle and CT saying they're best friends and in it together, and Phaedra being in love with CT keeps CT around...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I think Peter's screwed her either way. If he goes traitor he can bus Parv and it fits with his faithful MO, but a) why isn't he getting murdered, and b) with two successful attacks on traitors in a row, it looks sus that he was so on the money with his guesses. The one thing helping him is the fake shield gambit, but like you said the faithful will know there was a recruitment.

And of course if he turns down the invite, he gets murdered.

It does seem that Trishelle picked up on Dan's bus against Phaedra, so it'll be interesting to see if she pushes that or keeps it under her hat for endgame.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Yeah Parv allowing Dan to take the shot at Bergie absolutely wrecked her game. I'm rooting for Sandra/CT at this point.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I do think Parv was on the radar even before the attack on Bergie tbf

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Leatherhead posted:

Yeah Parv allowing Dan to take the shot at Bergie absolutely wrecked her game. I'm rooting for Sandra/CT at this point.

I mean, why didn't they just kill someone from inside the castle who for sure wouldn't have a shield? Why didn't Dan question Peter's info, knowing full well that he (Dan) was taking a lot of heat? That whole thing was just dumb and reckless.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can tell when The Traitors is being talked about because a thread resembles a CIA document.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If I were on The Traitors I just would never leave even if I got banished. I'd stay around that castle eating the food and stuff. Comically hiding in secret passageways or suits of armor.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

If I were on The Traitors I just would never leave even if I got banished. I'd stay around that castle eating the food and stuff. Comically hiding in secret passageways or suits of armor.

On an RHAP interview, Carolyn said that if she ever got voted out, she was just going to sit there and refuse to leave. I'm glad she made it to ftc but I can't help but feel like we missed out on some top tier production awkwardness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lmao, the way that the Brains tribe arrives at their like third TC with J'Tia still present and Jeff just looks at the four of em like

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 10, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
whoa Rayman Reiman Spencer went kinda nuts after his time on survivor huh. As a character on the show he was massively entertaining but then he showed his rear end in 2019. Bummer. Maybe he's wiser now, does anyone have an instagram account to confirm?

By the way I like Cagayan a lot, it's a tightly edited season with fun characters and experimental stuff with the confessionals you don't really see much. Anyone else agree?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 10, 2024

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

whoa Rayman Reiman Spencer went kinda nuts after his time on survivor huh. As a character on the show he was massively entertaining but then he showed his rear end in 2019. Bummer. Maybe he's wiser now, does anyone have an instagram account to confirm?

By the way I like Cagayan a lot, it's a tightly edited season with fun characters and experimental stuff with the confessionals you don't really see much. Anyone else agree?

Most people like it, but I don't like cops, so it's bad 😌. I think nerd boy showed his rear end when there were some negative comments about him on Reddit, so he made a very stupid defensive blog and posted it on Reddit.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I have to admit that -----Tony Vlachos----- is a masterful player, but I just never enjoyed watching them. They kind of infuriated me like Russell Hantz, just played a better game, perhaps the game Russell always wanted to play.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CJacobs posted:

He has a Substack.

quote:

Last night I had dinner with a shamanic woman here in Vilcabamba. I feel every person has an inner shaman, an inner Buddha, an inner everything, but by “shamanic woman” I mean: a woman who has unlocked those shamanic gifts — deep inter-dimensional receptivity that allows forces of Nature to be channeled, and the ability to perceive both the human material realm and the spirit realm simultaneously.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

I have to admit that -----Tony Vlachos----- is a masterful player, but I just never enjoyed watching them. They kind of infuriated me like Russell Hantz, just played a better game, perhaps the game Russell always wanted to play.

tony is like if russell had accepted the idea that he would lose if he made literally everyone in the game hate him. i would honestly say that russell isn't a bad player; he is(or should be) a good player but has a massive character flaw that causes him to insist on deliberately ignoring one of the core aspects of the game because he thinks it shouldn't count, leading to him faceplanting at the finish line every time. tony is just russell except that you replace the petulant egotism with the energy of a caffeinated 5-year-old, hence the winning.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

CJacobs posted:

I sat down and watched Cagayan fully fairly recently, pretty sure I posted most of my impressions earlier in the thread.

I didn't like the season much, even disregarding the whole "cop" thing. I think the things S28 does that got the show out of the Dark Ages(tm) also did a lot of long-term damage that we still feel in the New Era.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I think getting a lot of attention from a show like Survivor with the audience it has isn't great for your long-term mental health if you're like 19 or 20 years old.

Anyway, pretty sure he's still off in South America hiding from Authoritarian Vaccine Mandates or whatever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks for the tags, apologies for forgetting to mention I'm not yet to the merge.

It's interesting to hear the split opinions on Cagayan! Regarding COPS 'R' US chat: It's kinda great how even the name of the alliance aged poorly. The way Tony stepped on the idol clue with his shoe to hide it and called it 'evidence' in the confesional was peak poorly aging cop character. When that happened I was instantly like "ohhh okay so I get this guy." He is gonna go far by being willing to swear on things without intent. Genuinely, this show is full of sticklers about it and so I kinda spotted that Tony was given emphasis on how he will do what it takes even if it sucks ethically. Players claim they'll lie, but they'll only fabricate if they think it's safe to. And cops always think it's safe to.

Regarding Bledsoe:

Indeed it seems he went complete mask off when masking on was the best choice for humanity and that's all we gotta say y'know? After that he surely had a spiritual awakening and I mean a real one but he woke up and that poo poo was Time Cube. I agree pretty much with obliriovrons' point of view on what this 'fame' would do to a young person. But I will finish the season! Thanks for the interest goons!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

It's an okay season in a vacuum if you don't think too hard about it, and certain aspects are pretty funny (Kass was an extremely prolific & infamous Survivor Sucks poster before she got on the show)

With Spencer I kind of think they were trying to recreate Cochran and, well, lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I wouldn't say Spencer went "mask off" or "showed his rear end," lol, like his issues are a lot more significant than just being a shithead conservative or something. i think Second Chances was really hard on him and then he did some shrooms or dmt the spirit molecule™ or something and now he's just permanently out there with Enlightened Stoner Brain aka "the smartest guy you know just got super into psychedelics" type of thing

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Fast Luck posted:

I wouldn't say Spencer went "mask off" or "showed his rear end," lol, like his issues are a lot more significant than just being a shithead conservative or something. i think Second Chances was really hard on him and then he did some shrooms or dmt the spirit molecule™ or something and now he's just permanently out there with Enlightened Stoner Brain aka "the smartest guy you know just got super into psychedelics" type of thing

I think "mask off" referred to him not wanting to wear a mask during the pandemic

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was a joke about him becoming antivax and pulling the 'I'm just being apprehensive ' stance. If you'd like me to be less nice about it, he turned into a self-righteous prick after the show. Enlightened stoner brain doesn't exist. I regret inquiring on Survivor drama! I'm sorry, I won't do that anymore.

I decided not to finish Cagayan, watching China now and it is a much more... I guess I'd say grounded experience. It seems like the earlier you go, the less like a game show it feels like.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 12, 2024

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Even if Spencer is kind of a prick and even if the watch is frustrating, I'd encourage you to finish Cagayan when you're able.

I can't blame you though; China is a fun ride.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

TBF Spencer was a self-righteous prick on his season too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

lol i'm just starting that season and the cops literally both say questionable things in the first few minutes

the troop worship is also pretty tiring

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
China experience so far: It's quite good! I am nearly to the merge. The challenges are cool and at that time hadn't been repeated a bunch yet, and aside from Chicken :( I've enjoyed the lead up to the vote-outs. This is the first season I've watched with 'kidnapping' and it's a neat mechanic. Great that the players immediately clocked it as an info gathering opportunity. What do you folks think of gimmicks like that?

Zhan-Hu Tribe huddled in torrential rain underneath their banner because they did not build a shelter in time is such a pitiful sight. This show rules. It is such a bummer the way Dave immediately went nuts upon being granted a title of 'leader', the man just wants someone to say thank you for doing stuff!! His fire pit was epic and all survivor seasons should have a mandatory fire pit that gets smoke in your face while you sleep. Frosti is getting hidden in the edit but I can't figure out for what reason because he owns. Peih-Gee deserves to win something in this game for her grit but I know nothing is fair.

Meanwhile on Fei Long drat IT EVERYONE'S CREEPS but sadly it was 2007 so it's not surprising. Courtney is delivering killer confessionals and might be my favorite 'character' of the string of rewatches. James is perhaps unreasonably ripped but I am not complaining about the visual spectacle on display. This tribe is stacked with challenge competitors, it feels a little lopsided with sit-outs in account. And finally, Jean-Robert's plan to arc himself from lazy douchebag to hero of the tribe is hilarious and obviously not working. With that poo poo he is like if Aesop Rock didn't have the ability to rap.

Great stuff so far! A rare winner pick, no spoilers please but if you're curious: It looks like Todd is gonna sweep the board this season to me. He has such a pretty and innocent smile, really good social game. It is his game to win. Jean-Robert put it right in the very first episode, that Todd is the schemer who never looks like he's scheming.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 14, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Taint posted:

TBF Spencer was a self-righteous prick on his season too.

Oh thank god someone else thought that.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

STAC Goat posted:

Oh thank god someone else thought that.

Spencer's one of my least favorite survivor players of all time, adjusted for the fact that everyone else seemed to love him for so long.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

wait people liked spencer? i thought they just meant that it was fun watching him because he was an arrogant prick who spent an entire season stepping on rakes and getting outsmarted by a guy specifically chosen for the meathead tribe

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spencer had a lot of fans fooled because he himself was a fanboy, rhap listener, etc and those kinds of people didn't get cast routinely back then, plus he was an underdog his entire first season. But he was an entitled brat then too, with some misogyny in the mix as well. i wasn't defending him earlier, what I meant is that saying he was an anti-vaxx shithead or something doesn't even begin to describe the turn he's taken, from uchicago finance bro to living in south america and changing his name to "Reiman." He had some mental health podcast he was doing along the way, dont know if he still is, but basically there's juts a lot going on. checked his blog right now and heres how his latest entry begins:

quote:

Life today is generally filled with a lot of peace. I love where I live, I love my friends, and I love that the old habit-pattern of chasing women is falling away, that today marks 50 days since I’ve dispersed my chi anywhere outside of myself.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

genre bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Is not "dispersing your chi" a new-age way to say he's r/NoFap