Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Avatar is the biggest selling movie of all time, seems like the obvious answer.

Though obviously T2 is the best movie of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Air Skwirl posted:

Me being upset she didn't know them. Seriously, if you really want to piss off a kid under the age of ten, say the name of their toys wrong.

They go hard on that. I babysat a friend's kid and he had a bunch of little stretchy men. He tried to teach me their names for like ten minutes until I got a little annoyed about how he rolled his eyes when I said his toys wrong. You got a strong lisp li'l guy I don't doubt i'm not saying it right but neither are you and I have no loving idea what stretchy man cartoon is. I got no frame of reference. Your mum packed you a sandwich and I have a pear for you, calm down

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fat Lou posted:

I need a fast reply for a debate "If someone asked you to name James Cameron’s most notable movie what would you say"

Titanic

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fat Lou posted:

I need a fast reply for a debate "If someone asked you to name James Cameron’s most notable movie what would you say"

"If I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Pirahna II: The Spawning.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched No Way Out. Pretty good. It's got an insanely young Sidney Poitier in it. He plays a doctor who treats two racist small time crook brothers, one of them dies and the other blames Poitier for it.

The thing about is that everybody is doing 40s acting in it. You know the way, with their talking and such. The small time crook even has the criminal accent. You know what I mean if you've seen these old movies, they have an accent that criminals speak in. It's all that kind of movie, except for Sidney Poitier, who is Sidney Poitier. He's bringing that dramatic intensity to a movie where everybody else is all, "now listen here, see"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Peccadillo posted:

I think the purple one was gay

Why were sewer turtles named by some Japanese rat after the Italian Masters. I have never seen much of Ninja Turtles

Splinter isn't Japanese, he just read a karate pamphlet until he was somehow a martial arts master. He's a weeb.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
In the comics/1989 movie Splinter was the pet rat of a Japanese martial arts master and learned how to fight by studying and mimicking his owner. In the original cartoon, they combine the two and the story is that Master Yoshi was a member of the foot clan who was mutated into a rat after being exposed to the green ooze. Beyond that I dunno cause I am old and haven't kept up with tmnt lore but as a child of the 80s that was my poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Yea I think it's this. Titanic dominated the box office on the same level as an Avatar or Terminator 2, but it had broader appeal than either of those movies. If you ask people who aren't really into movies about James Cameron, I think Titanic is the likeliest movie they would mention.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

In the comics/1989 movie Splinter was the pet rat of a Japanese martial arts master and learned how to fight by studying and mimicking his owner. In the original cartoon, they combine the two and the story is that Master Yoshi was a member of the foot clan who was mutated into a rat after being exposed to the green ooze. Beyond that I dunno cause I am old and haven't kept up with tmnt lore but as a child of the 80s that was my poo poo.

Shut up here's a pear

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol they are literally colour coded and have monogrammed belt buckles, your mom was a dumbass

I mean, someone in this very thread didn't know their names after watching multiple movies about them

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think it's this. Titanic dominated the box office on the same level as an Avatar or Terminator 2, but it had broader appeal than either of those movies. If you ask people who aren't really into movies about James Cameron, I think Titanic is the likeliest movie they would mention.

Agreed.

The Peccadillo posted:

Shut up here's a pear

Agreed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My mom knew who the alien was, and who luke skywalker was.

That was enough for me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've never seen Titanic

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it’s p good. It’s cheesy but in a fun way. If you’re bored and want to kill 3 hours it’s a good way too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yeah Titanic is, like, scientifically an excellent movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea it's nice to see all the costumes and to be kinda transported back to such an important event.

I will say though, when I watched it recently it was extremely hard to ignore the fact that Rose absolutely should've just gone into that lifeboat when she had the opportunity, then Jack wouldn't have had to worry about her dumbass and would've survived. Like, even as she's refusing to get on the boat Jack is saying to her "don't even worry about it, just get on the drat boat, I'm a survivor I'll figure something out", and then when the time comes and he actually does figure something out he has to use it to save her instead of himself.. Aggravating!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Avatar is the biggest selling movie of all time, seems like the obvious answer.

Though obviously T2 is the best movie of all time

T2 isn't even better than T1

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it's nice to see all the costumes and to be kinda transported back to such an important event.

I will say though, when I watched it recently it was extremely hard to ignore the fact that Rose absolutely should've just gone into that lifeboat when she had the opportunity, then Jack wouldn't have had to worry about her dumbass and would've survived. Like, even as she's refusing to get on the boat Jack is saying to her "don't even worry about it, just get on the drat boat, I'm a survivor I'll figure something out", and then when the time comes and he actually does figure something out he has to use it to save her instead of himself.. Aggravating!

yeah but then cal would know she was alive and come after her once they were rescued. Plus it's what jack says to her before he dies that encourages her to look forward and live her best life.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

T2 isn't even better than T1

Nah

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yah

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

oh god oh gently caress posted:

yeah but then cal would know she was alive and come after her once they were rescued. Plus it's what jack says to her before he dies that encourages her to look forward and live her best life.

Cal knew she was alive anyway, they see each other after being rescued and she's disgusted by him and never sees him again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

T1 forever

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fat Lou posted:

it sucks but i kinda feel like it's unambiguously Avatar

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Terminator vs. T2 is pretty similar to Alien vs. Aliens. They're so different to the point that they're basically different genres, it's very hard to compare them. If you want a down and dirty horror/slasher about a killer robot, Terminator 2 isn't gonna do it for you. If you want top notch special effects and those classic American blockbuster fist-pumping hell yea moments, T2 is where it's at.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just like alien and aliens, the first one is vastly superior

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Basebf555 posted:

Cal knew she was alive anyway, they see each other after being rescued and she's disgusted by him and never sees him again.

Nope, sorry pal. He looks for her on the carpathia but she hides her face from him. He and the rest of her family assumes she died, which is what Bill Paxton says the records show at the beginning of the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

. If you want top notch special effects and those classic American blockbuster fist-pumping hell yea moments

The sex scene

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it sucks but i kinda feel like it's unambiguously Avatar

Over titanic?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Nope, sorry pal. He looks for her on the carpathia but she hides her face from him. He and the rest of her family assumes she died, which is what Bill Paxton says the records show at the beginning of the movie.

Ahh ok well I guess I was ready for the movie to be over so I wasn't paying close enough attention to that scene.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

Just like alien and aliens, the first one is vastly superior

Truth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Peccadillo posted:

Over titanic?

I think either one is plausible but Titanic is a very solid, very popular blockbuster that's pretty similar to other blockbusters of its era, while Avatar is both incredibly successful and a relative outlier compared to other big budget films that came out around that time in several ways.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

what part of the girl turtle who was the yellow one and gay with the pig girl don't you understand?

The gently caress?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gripweed pretending not to know the turtles only to drop the deep cut lore

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

What was similar to Titanic that middled it? I thought it was a huge deal and I saw a boob for the first time seeing it as a seven year old

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Basebf555 posted:

Ahh ok well I guess I was ready for the movie to be over so I wasn't paying close enough attention to that scene.

Okay cal. How bout we try being inspired by true love next time

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing with Avatar is it just had a big sequel that everyone knows about. So that gives it a natural advantage in terms of awareness that Titanic doesn't have. The teenage girls who went crazy over Titanic are like 40 now and their kids probably don't give a poo poo about Titanic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I think the avatar or titanic question most likely comes down to the age of the person.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

What was similar to Titanic that middled it? I thought it was a huge deal and I saw a boob for the first time seeing it as a seven year old

It has a rapping dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a bit hard to say because boxoffice inflation makes it a poor metric of how many actual eyeballs have seen a movie in theatres. But since Titanic has been on repeat on TV solidly for a quarter century it's probably got the edge