Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Would love if anyone even slightly right of center would just gently caress off outta video games (Looking at you palmer)

But breathedge does kinda prove the point that the right might be technically capable of making a working video game, they can't make a good one and they can't write for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Would love if anyone even slightly right of center would just gently caress off outta video games (Looking at you palmer)

*monkey's paw curls* palmer luckey now makes racist murder drones

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Al! posted:

i think in general we can put a moratorium on cheeky hyper corporate scifi settings

Yeah Office Space is twenty five years old lol. It’s way past stale to put laugh signs around meetings and extra paperwork even if it’s in space

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What are some decent Graffiti art games? Did a lil in VRC but I'd like something with more depth to it.
I was looking at Kingspray but folks are bitching it's 'abandoned' (It's a 2016 VR title :|)?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I discovered and really enjoyed Art Plunge (free on Steam) which is a nice compact experience that allows you to get sucked into some famous paintings and experience them as a subtly-animated environment complete with sounds. I really like these neat concept pieces.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/570900/Art_Plunge/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Croccers posted:

What are some decent Graffiti art games? Did a lil in VRC but I'd like something with more depth to it.
I was looking at Kingspray but folks are bitching it's 'abandoned' (It's a 2016 VR title :|)?

have you played Marc Echo's Getting Up?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Croccers posted:

Abandoned yeah, But I think its still quite decent and should work fine on most/all hardware.

Refund policy my guy.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Finished Quake 2 VR on my Quest 2. What a fun game and absolutely perfect as a VR port. The sense of scale when fighting the Makron at the end was amazing. Very highly recommended.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

I discovered and really enjoyed Art Plunge (free on Steam) which is a nice compact experience that allows you to get sucked into some famous paintings and experience them as a subtly-animated environment complete with sounds. I really like these neat concept pieces.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/570900/Art_Plunge/

I have that. It's pretty sweet.

My favs are the Kremer Collection, Versailles VR, and Escape from Nefertiti's Tomb.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Kremer Collection is on my wishlist but I didn't know about the other two, thanks for the heads up :yayclod:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lemming posted:

*monkey's paw curls* palmer luckey now makes racist murder drones

TIL that helping Ukraine defend itself from invasion makes them racist.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MikusR posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/21311433/anduril-palmer-luckey-virtual-border-wall-surveillance-contract-patrol

And here he is with Chuck C Johnson (holocaust denier) and Steve Bannon (extreme mega racist) doing the white power version of the ok sign

He also found other people to send his racist murder drones to, but he still made them to be racist murder drones because he's a nazi

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Abandoned yeah, But I think its still quite decent and should work fine on most/all hardware.

Refund policy my guy.
I've read it's one of those games that has a handful of different versions over different platforms so it's difficult to get a clear view of what the actual state of it is through all the bitching. Steam seems to be the most advance/feature complete.

I don't know the history of it so looking at it from my view this message is for gamers™ in general these days:
It's 8 years old they've moved on, VR is tech that's upgraded quite fast so things get left behind, it's frustrating but you need to get over it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Speaking of Nazis I was playing MoH: Above and Beyond last night.

Game isn't too bad and it certainly delivers on the whole MoH experience, with the soundtrack and visuals being pretty great. The game just needed to be like 30% better

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

MikusR posted:

:ironicat:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
After getting bought out, Palmer had a sweet setup he scoped out & excitedly shared with his co workers: An opportunity to go in on a lot where y'all could just park your trailer/rv and basically live paying no rent or anything.

Everyone confusedly informed him they did not want to live in a trailer

(Palmer used to live in a trailer in his parents' driveway)

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I just picked up Ghosts of Tabor, and I love the idea behind it, but I’m having a hard time getting past the clunkiness. It took me a bit to used to Into the Radius’s similar inventory system, but that’s become one of my favorite games - I’m hoping I can eventually get a similar level of comfort with Tabor. Right now just picking things up and putting them in my pockets or pack is a hell of a challenge all by itself…

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Beastie posted:

Speaking of Nazis I was playing MoH: Above and Beyond last night.

Game isn't too bad and it certainly delivers on the whole MoH experience, with the soundtrack and visuals being pretty great. The game just needed to be like 30% better

RTCWQuest really scratches that Nazi killing itch for me. The stealth missions in the middle of the game are annoying though; still stuck on them.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Croccers posted:

Not a game but a neat thing if you're into graffiti/street art, someone made a great photogrametry of Freeman Alley in New York

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2689570838&searchtext=freeman+alley

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Not sure if this was posted yet but:

https://new.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/1aq8rkt/mark_just_posted_a_video_on_quest_3_x_apple/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Palmer is terminally 4chan-brained but still every take he's ever had on VR has been spot-on IMO.

I think that's the least weird-acting I've seen from him in a video, that's not saying much but still.

edit: where the gently caress does Zuck get off calling Meta Quest "the open model" vs AVP. They're both shamelessly walled garden.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 14, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There are different levels of walled garden-ism. AVP doesn't have AppLab, or SideQuest, or any sideloading.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Palmer is terminally 4chan-brained but still every take he's ever had on VR has been spot-on IMO.

The only thing I still remember about Palmer is

https://palmerluckey.com/if-you-die-in-the-game-you-die-in-real-life/

Which is very

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Turin Turambar posted:

There are different levels of walled garden-ism. AVP doesn't have AppLab, or SideQuest, or any sideloading.

Honestly I hope this competitive approach causes then to open up their platform even more, that would be awesome.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Turin Turambar posted:

or any sideloading.

Can't you do it if you have a developer account? It's a very apple thing to do because it costs money, but that's how people were getting ALVR working on it, right?

That just reminded me how, even with how permissive the Quest is with sideloading, we still never got root or any kinda way to mess with the firmware. I guess it's not that needed, but I'm one of those it should be hacked for the sake of being hacked kind of people.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I can’t think of anything I’d hack on the Quest given an option. Maybe more pass through options.

I wish there was an OS level toggle that would tell games you prefer pass through to black loading screens. I hate sitting in a big black void waiting for poo poo to load and hitting pass through shortcut sometimes causes games to wig out when they are busy. At least I could check my phone or check on my cats or something in MR. I’m impatient so were it a normal PC game I’d be alt tabbed out.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Kwolok posted:

I also pray it fails but apple's marketting and brand recognition can push through incredibly lovely things that consumers cannot help themselves but fall into (See removing headphone jacks)

Apple getting into the AR/VR space is almost as bad as when Meta got involved. Like yeah we got the quest headsets and they are literally the best yet, but it sucks that its tied to Meta so privacy concerns, ads, and exploitation are inevitable.
Why still get so up in arms about iPhones removing the headphone jack (to save component space) when a simple and cheap Lightning-to-AUX inline cable adapter can be used?. Describing it with such language is almost hysterical at this point.

And praying that the Vision Pro fails? It’s a boost to the VR market in general if nothing else despite the exorbitant price and Apple tend to take privacy more seriously than other tech firms. I thought this “Apple sheeple” posting died out ages ago.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

psyman posted:

Why still get so up in arms about iPhones removing the headphone jack (to save component space)

Why were they against USB-C?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

psyman posted:

I thought this “Apple sheeple” posting died out ages ago.

When you find some, let us know.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mutata posted:

When you find some, let us know.

Kwolok posted:

Dipshits will still flock to buy it because its apple branded.

Kwolok posted:

I'd say I'm surprised but Apple buyers have never been a particularly bright bunch

Kwolok posted:

Me paying a company to effectively be free QA labor is actually cool for reasons

Its not a cult, I swear!

It's basically been Kwolok's thing in this thread since the AVP was announced.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ah, well, carry on then! I don't care enough to try to salvage my snarky response, so have fun defending Apple or not or whatever.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

KakerMix posted:

Why were they against USB-C?

A) sweet, sweet licensing money
B) arguably lightning is a more robust port, no skinny tab in the middle means it is easier to clean out pocket lint.
C)no meaningful upgrade for 99% of users, I mean, who plugs their phone into anything for data transfer anymore? Sure, USB-C is way faster but I’d bet almost everyone has everything on cloud storage these days.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I can’t think of anything I’d hack on the Quest given an option. Maybe more pass through options.

I'd replace the dogshit stock launcher with something that let me fully customize my shortcuts and didn't bury sideloaded apps behind 4 clicks of menuing.

Edit: And add the ability for apps to follow you around in passthrough.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 14, 2024

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

psyman posted:

Why still get so up in arms about iPhones removing the headphone jack (to save component space) when a simple and cheap Lightning-to-AUX inline cable adapter can be used?. Describing it with such language is almost hysterical at this point.

And praying that the Vision Pro fails? It’s a boost to the VR market in general if nothing else despite the exorbitant price and Apple tend to take privacy more seriously than other tech firms. I thought this “Apple sheeple” posting died out ages ago.

So far if anything it's been making VR seem extremely lame and dorky with a bunch of dipshits wearing it in public as a weird flex that they could afford the ridiculously expensive new apple toy.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The iPhone is so densely packed and aims to minimize wasted space to the point that there are screws that differ by only 0.2mm in length, and mixing them up means breaking something. Losing the headphone jack was too bad for all the reasons people say, but the headphone connector also took up a ton of real estate and I'm shocked it stuck around as long as it did.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

The VR Megathread: iPhone Headphone Jack Chat For Some Reason.

Star Wars Squadrons $2 on Steam and is a steal for that price. I need to do another playthrough.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

uh my dude vr IS dorky and lame, you just gotta embrace that fact. i think the big problem is that its 3500 bucks and its Just Fine, ie the gap in quality between the apple headset and the quest is not 3000 bucks, however people will have the perception that vr is an extremely expensive, not that useful toy instead of what vr is best at doing right now, which is existing as a gaming console

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Headphones? I just play my phone at full volume so I can hear it over the casual conversations of other people on the train

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Kazy posted:

The VR Megathread: iPhone Headphone Jack Chat For Some Reason.

Star Wars Squadrons $2 on Steam and is a steal for that price. I need to do another playthrough.

i got rid of my hotas in a move and now im absolutely terrible at squadrons, ive been making a slow playthrough of it on an xbox controller though because at the start of every mission i get a little thrill of "holy poo poo, im actually in an a-wing (da best starfighter) cockpit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Now that my quest 2 is likely getting fully refunded: is the quest 3 worth the upgrade? I'm enjoying vr a lot and play it a few hours per week for flight sim or just random games, it costs 200 euros more than the 2 and while money isn't exactly tight it's still a hefty price difference. I know they have pancake lenses which are less sensitive and lighter, and the display is better, anything else?