Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeast posted:

Yep, thin it down like any other paint, and it owns.

Go to any art supply store and buy a pot of crackle medium for :10bux: and mix whatever colour you want in. Add more medium for bigger cracks, add less if you want smaller.

If you do this, though, make sure to play around with different levels of "more medium." There's very much a point with Golden's crackle medium where you're spreading the stuff around like frosting and end up with basically no cracks. A 1mm or 1.5mm coat is about right in my experience, and that's much thinner than I thought it would be. Very thick if you're used to applying paint, thin if you're feeling buttercream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Yeast posted:

Yep, thin it down like any other paint, and it owns.

Go to any art supply store and buy a pot of crackle medium for :10bux: and mix whatever colour you want in. Add more medium for bigger cracks, add less if you want smaller.

Cool, guess I'll have a look, just dump and regular or contrast paint in there? Can I get true black that way? I'm imagining mixed with a white medium it will end up grey unless I put so much in that the crackle medium stops working.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BizarroAzrael posted:

Cool, guess I'll have a look, just dump and regular or contrast paint in there? Can I get true black that way? I'm imagining mixed with a white medium it will end up grey unless I put so much in that the crackle medium stops working.

Use regular paint or inks

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bucnasti posted:

What's so special about their drybrushes? LIke are they better than cheap makeup brushes in some way?
I bought one of the GH AO sets, mostly cuz I wanted the cool box and I'm bad with money.

They're very dense and not as soft as a makeup brush which lets them hold a lot of paint and AO's method isn't really "drybrushing" per se because you want to keep some moisture in the bristles and is really more like Stippling En Masse than dry brushing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's both.

If you watch the latest video Byron explains that he starts of stippling as the brush contains more paint and that gives him more control over it, and moves on to more vigorous drybrushing as there is less and less paint in the brush.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Speedpainted this Terminator to get an idea for my colour scheme and also cause I need to just get some painted bodies on the table so I can play some 10th. I think I used too much turquoise for the body to be considered black and I ended up layering too much white so I lost depth on the shoulders. Maybe I'll try drybrushing the white layers so I don't obliterate it with layers.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Muir posted:

If they are just rebranded Rosemary and Co, that's one hell of a mark-up. Why would I get any of the Artis Opus brushes rather than just buying the Rosemary equivalents?

Same reason people buy branded air compressors instead of cheaper "off-brand" ones that are made in the same factory. Commodity fetishization.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Paragon8 posted:

I have seen it said that AO are made by Rosemary and Co so it might be worth looking into them as well.

Do you have an option to buy just one?

I am a little skeptical of how heavy their marketing push is. Like lmao at goonhammer's disclaimer on their bundle.

Whut?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

quote:

Hey wait, doesn’t Artis Opus sell brush sets and accessories with Goonhammer branding on them? They sure do. And isn’t weird to review a product you have a business relationship with? It sure can be. Goonhammer’s relationship with Artis Opus started with Raf’s review of drybrushes, a very standard situation in which Artis Opus sent him some brushes to review. As you can see, he loved them and from that a new partnership grew.

We’re confident you’ll like these brushes and our experts are not the only experts using and loving Artis Opus brushes. This website runs on the trust that you, our audience, have in us and we would do nothing to jeopardize that trust. We don’t love these brushes because our name is on the box, we put our name on the box because we believe they’re among the best brushes you can buy.

I think its a little silly to pull a "this product is so good that we can't be biased even with a partnership deal"

I don't begrudge goonhammer for doing a partnership with Artist Opus but feels slightly off publishing reviews alongside it even with the above disclaimer. Feels like there's probably a slightly more elegant way to do it! Maybe just ditch the reviews and just talk up your collab and why and how you use those brushes?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Although it would’ve been pretty funny to have a negative review on a co-branded product.

Not sure what anyone would expect otherwise

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
To actually contribute, I kickstarted 2 sets of the original Artis Opus series S and they’re.. fine?

It’s a premium price, it’s a good product, but I personally prefer Raphael 8404s for having a proper sized belly so you’re not having to load the brush as much, but it’s more personal preference.

Nice handles on the Opus too

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Paragon8 posted:

I think its a little silly to pull a "this product is so good that we can't be biased even with a partnership deal"

I don't begrudge goonhammer for doing a partnership with Artist Opus but feels slightly off publishing reviews alongside it even with the above disclaimer. Feels like there's probably a slightly more elegant way to do it! Maybe just ditch the reviews and just talk up your collab and why and how you use those brushes?

are you telling me that a website run by millenial ex-goons is hyper aware of authenticity and selling out so they address it directly to avoid any accusations of such

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

My Nagash won crowd favorite at the LGS winter painting competition! Got 35$ in store credit too, which is nice!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OgreNoah posted:

My Nagash won crowd favorite at the LGS winter painting competition! Got 35$ in store credit too, which is nice!

Owns.

Congratulations!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

OgreNoah posted:

:hellyeah:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve been painting an old metal Warboss for fun and I’m trying to use some paints in my collection that don’t get a lot of use. I decided to trying putting down a layer of Typhus Corrosion on some metal before painting them and it gives a very nice, subtle suggestion that this is lovely rusty metal that has been painted (not a self own!).

I also cracked open my Corax White for the first time and was amazed at its coverage, which is more damning for the rest of Citadel’s whites than it is praise for Corax.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Eej posted:

are you telling me that a website run by millenial ex-goons is hyper aware of authenticity and selling out so they address it directly to avoid any accusations of such

i just said its a little silly!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve been painting an old metal Warboss for fun and I’m trying to use some paints in my collection that don’t get a lot of use. I decided to trying putting down a layer of Typhus Corrosion on some metal before painting them and it gives a very nice, subtle suggestion that this is lovely rusty metal that has been painted (not a self own!).

Typhus Corrosion is honestly one of my favourite paints.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Nebalebadingdong posted:

simply because yellow super contrasts with black. yellow is the brightest color, so they're as opposite as you can be on value and saturation (white and black only contrast on value).

its also natures way of saying you're a badass

it's amazing how much work the character design does to make G1 Bumblebee not a badass

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I can finally say that I've finished with my Custodes kill team, and can move on to another project at this point. Sorry about the image dump.

Final thoughts:
  • I'm not a big fan of the "bald with topknot" style of the Sisters' heads, but it did allow me to gently caress around with trying different skin tones, lore be damned.
  • Goddamn there's an awful lot of dust on them. It doesn't show up in person, but jfc the phone camera just makes every little speck stand out.
  • Love Vince Venturella's gold recipe. I ended up throwing washes and varnishes over it, but it's still incredibly shiny and bright. Don't love having to get Green Stuff World products though, because of their lovely business practices and shipping time across the ocean, so I'm all ears for alternative antique gold pigment.
  • With everyone standing there, I'm really digging the cohesiveness of the burgundy and gold. At the same time, there's so many other Custodes paint schemes that look equally cool, and I'm sad that I finished my dudes before I saw them.
  • Regarding the one Sister with the scar; the scar is painted on, but there is a little gouge taken out of the faceplate (you can see it best on the left-facing profile with the flamer). I got inspired to do the "blind in one eye" thing after priming, and figured it would be easier to just do the damage on the armor itself instead of both the armor and flesh.
  • Clear UV resin is honestly pretty easy to work with, and I hit all of the gems with it for a little extra shine.
  • The silver filigree on the capes is really drat small, and I think I may need to grab a couple extra finer-point synthetic brushes than the ones I have, cuz there was definitely a few times I needed to clean up lines from overpainting.
  • Pigma micron pens work great for pupils and purity seal text, but I tried using them to color-code the magnets to keep all of the magnetized arms matched, and they just wiped right off.

With that off my plate, maybe I should actually learn how to play Kill Team.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Vortex mixers are the greatest invention known to man.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Never apologies for an image dump in the minis painting thread when the image dump is a dump of images of a model you've painted.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Al-Saqr posted:

Vortex mixers are the greatest invention known to man.

Remember it’s not complete until you’ve put googly eyes on it

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
I like that squad

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yeast posted:

Remember it’s not complete until you’ve put googly eyes on it

poo poo, I knew I forgot something.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Aniodia posted:

[*]Pigma micron pens work great for pupils and purity seal text, but I tried using them to color-code the magnets to keep all of the magnetized arms matched, and they just wiped right off.
[/list]

With that off my plate, maybe I should actually learn how to play Kill Team.

Ooh I've never tried using Microns for purity seal text. That's smart. I might have to try that out since I have quite a few of em laying around.

Those are definitely some slick/ clean paintjobs. I dig it B)

Surrounding small raised details like the silver on those capes with Nuln Oil can really cover up any mistakes and add extra contrast.

Aliensandwich fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 17, 2024

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I use these magnet wands to get the polarity right. I do body -> B -> blue and weapon -> dangerous -> red to remember.
https://themagnetbaron.com/products/the-magnicator

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Why have i never considered using a loving Pigma sakura micron ink pen for the eyes. How have i been so stupid. I have a bajillion of those things.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Pigma balls

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Al-Saqr posted:

Why have i never considered using a loving Pigma sakura micron ink pen for the eyes. How have i been so stupid. I have a bajillion of those things.

If its good enough for a Gundam it's good enough for your gretchins

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Working on some infiltrators. Think i'm gonna have to rethink the grenade and hilt-colours, maybe just go with more black for the latter

Feel like I'm starting to get a better grip at drybrushing, which is nice!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I used to do grenades green but now I just do them with Leadbelchers, Nuln, and some Iron breaker.

It’s boring, but looks better imo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kylaer posted:

Pigma balls

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I used to do grenades green but now I just do them with Leadbelchers, Nuln, and some Iron breaker.

It’s boring, but looks better imo

I think the only reason most grenades are green is because they use a paint they already have on hand and to match uniforms. The german stick grenade had grey and green versions of it produced over its life, and some world war 1 grenades were silver/metallic, so it certainly seems like in the future where folks are running around with bright outfits without a hint of green that having grenades that are non-green would not be an issue. I bet they look good!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Aliensandwich posted:

Ooh I've never tried using Microns for purity seal text. That's smart. I might have to try that out since I have quite a few of em laying around.

Those are definitely some slick/ clean paintjobs. I dig it B)

Surrounding small raised details like the silver on those capes with Nuln Oil can really cover up any mistakes and add extra contrast.

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah, I have no idea where I got that from, but it was like, yeeeeears ago, and it works pretty drat well. It can be a little fiddly trying to get the eyes to be looking the same way, but that's just the issue with doing eyes in general anyway, so :shrug:. I left them at my shop to show off, but I'll probably grab them tomorrow and try the nuln oil as a pin wash for those, see if that helps them stand out a little more.

Kylaer posted:

Pigma balls

:pigsballs:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think the only reason most grenades are green is because they use a paint they already have on hand and to match uniforms. The german stick grenade had grey and green versions of it produced over its life, and some world war 1 grenades were silver/metallic, so it certainly seems like in the future where folks are running around with bright outfits without a hint of green that having grenades that are non-green would not be an issue. I bet they look good!

my GSC grenades are grey bc I don't want to distract from their bright red sticks of loony tunes dynomite

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Tank's done

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That looks hella sweet. Nicely done.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

tanks a lot for the sweet post

Adbot