Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Catastrophe posted:

Jesus. I hope you mended after that experience.

Haha, no, I went into aerospace, a business built on burning people out in order to deliver half of their commits. It's only slightly less toxic than working for family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lazyfire posted:

Haha, no, I went into aerospace, a business built on burning people out in order to deliver half of their commits. It's only slightly less toxic than working for family.

Pros: You don't have to see them every thanksgiving
Cons: You can't get drunk and puke on their couch at thanksgiving.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lazyfire posted:

When I got accepted into college my dad told me that I was never allowed to work for the store if I went, not because he thought it was a waste of education or anything, but because I had a chance to get out of the extremely toxic family business.

Boomer kicks out ladder, news at 11

*record scratch*

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

bee posted:

I had to listen to the old white man in charge of protective security tell me today that a trans employee who wants a shortened, feminised but still androgynous sounding version of her first name on her building keycard can't have that, because a government pass can be recognised as a legitimate form of I.D so only a legal name can be on the pass.

Then the manager of the employee, who is also the head of the data analytics team stated that she did some checking and 22% of her team have shortened, anglicised or preferred names on their building pass and her trans employee doesn't understand why she can't do that too. Protective security boomer splutters something about having shortened names that are clearly indicative of gender being ok when I interjected with being unaware of any law that states someone's first name needs to be indicative of their biological sex or gender and that he'd better get some advice from legal, because right now our organisation is appearing to discriminate against an employee and we'll get our arses handed to us if this employee goes to the Fair Work Commission.

Data analytics manager also asked if protective security is going to do an audit and contact everyone in possession of a security pass that has a strictly non legal version of their name to reissue passes with their legal names and collect all the not legal passes. For reference, we have over 6000 employees, so this would take a while. No answer on that one, but suddenly the employee is allowed to have a temporary pass card with no name on it until the legal department gives them an answer on what to do.

Man, gently caress old bigots who use their tiny, limp scraps of authority against anybody different. I hope this dude gets absolutely hosed.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Lazyfire posted:

Well, I was looking forward to Shogun on FX/Hulu and you ruined it for me because there's clearly a better Japanese epic out there.

If you haven't seen Ran, I highly recommend it. It's Akira Kurosawa's version of King Lear, and it is a feast for the eyes and soul. It is pretty much THE definitive Japanese epic in cinema.

Man I wish I could go back to when I hadn't seen it so I could see it new all over again. Jelly.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 13, 2024

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lmao after all that this is actually a legit physical security problem and something that shouldn’t be allowed.

Please tell me the temp pass at least has a photo on it.

Nope! But for lols, the previous pass OKed and provided to the employee has a photo of her presenting as a woman.

RocketMermaid posted:

Man, gently caress old bigots who use their tiny, limp scraps of authority against anybody different. I hope this dude gets absolutely hosed.

Me too, I've hit walls with this particular dickhead on other occasions over similar poo poo and it's amazing to watch how he suddenly is capable of using correct pronouns depending on the seniority level of the other people present in meetings to discuss these issues.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

Well, I was looking forward to Shogun on FX/Hulu and you ruined it for me because there's clearly a better Japanese epic out there.

Ran is fantastic, can’t recommend it enough.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
My boomer coworker stopped by my office to talk about the Super Bowl. He had a lot he wanted to say about Taylor Swift but bit his tongue because my door was open. That was the extent of our Super Bowl conversation.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lmao after all that this is actually a legit physical security problem and something that shouldn’t be allowed.
My access card for work is completely blank save for a serial number in the corner.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Looking forward to Barudak chiming in and saying how their employees all get microchipped and have a barcode tattooed on the back of their necks.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Love to spend 3 hours fixing the charge code accounting failed to implement correctly, then get an email from the manager asking why I nuked all those charges. At this point Im really ok with working janitorial rather than deal with this shithole any more.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have a new job and it's pretty cool all things considered, but my start time is 7am despite the fact that none of the work we do can be started before 9am. So every day I come in and sit around twiddling my thumbs for two hours!

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have a new job and it's pretty cool all things considered, but my start time is 7am despite the fact that none of the work we do can be started before 9am. So every day I come in and sit around twiddling my thumbs for two hours!

Management's just making sure that leadership's thumb-twiddling KPI is being given the highest priority

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I would not complain if I got two hours of paid shitposting at the start of my work day.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Start a podcast

E: I mean start producing a 2hr morning podcast

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I would not complain if I got two hours of paid shitposting at the start of my work day.

I would quite like to finish 2 hours early.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sad King Billy posted:

I would quite like to finish 2 hours early.

Yeah, but that's not how most jobs work. The answer for "we only need you 9-3" isn't going to be that you get paid 8 hours for six hours of work, they're going to decide you're not full time or some poo poo like that. Inevitably it's either going to be get there early (7-3) or leave late (9-5), so why not just enjoy the two hours of downtime?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Collateral Damage posted:

My access card for work is completely blank save for a serial number in the corner.

My access card is completely blank. They’re supposed to have pictures and names on them, but I never got mine taken, because they were going to print new ones for everyone with our rebranded name and logo. That was 6 months ago.

At the same time, we really don’t need to have access passes. They only implemented them after some random dude came in and stabbed a line worker over a relationship dispute.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
your last sentence seems to be at odds with reality friend.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I’ve been issued a new laptop which is nice but I’ve been told I can’t migrate Firefox over and I have to use Edge which ugh fine but it’s driving me crazy getting used to it

E: edge won’t import my passwords.csv and my jimmies are rustled

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, I think 'preventing armed assailants from stabbing staff, after an armed assailant stabbed staff' is about the best justification for passes you're going to get.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 14, 2024

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Outrail posted:

Yeah, I think 'preventing armed assailants from stabbing staff, after an armed assailant stabbed staff' is about the best justification for passes you're going to get.

Clippy: It seems like you are trying to apply common sense or logic to an issue that affects someone's bonus KPI of keeping security related costs down.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
my old work id had a qr code on it but if you scanned it, it just took you to google.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Wild EEPROM posted:

my old work id had a qr code on it but if you scanned it, it just took you to google.

Do you work at Google?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A few months ago I escaped the madness of working inside an Amazon FC warehouse for years.

Now I work in the madness in the trailer yard out back.

Holy hell commercial drivers are insane. Also we had one of our yard hostler cabs catch fire this week.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Yes they are and they're awful to deal with on the highway too.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Once upon a time Google had a service that would generate QR codes that redirected to shortened URLs. I wonder if they were using that and Google since discontinued it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Alkydere posted:

A few months ago I escaped the madness of working inside an Amazon FC warehouse for years.

Now I work in the madness in the trailer yard out back.

Holy hell commercial drivers are insane. Also we had one of our yard hostler cabs catch fire this week.
Humble bragging that only one thing in the yard caught on fire this week. Way to be world class.

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012
Alright, I could use some advice.

I'm currently employed in a highly technical and specialized position for a large chemical company within one of their plant's maintenance department. I am a contractor and not a direct employee. I took this job almost a couple of years ago and left a salaried position for another large company because this new job paid quite a bit more (hourly) AND had Overtime on top of that which would amount to an average of 40 OT hours per month. Former job offered to match my base rate to keep me, but couldn't compete with the OT. I took the contract gig.

Long story short I've regretted that decision quite a bit over the almost two years because the work is monotonous and has quite a lot of frustrating roadblocks. At least the OT made up for that... until somewhat recently. They pretty much cut out all OT for everyone in the plant a few months ago. I've raised a stink that I'm not happy with this because it was a verbal agreement that this was the "deal" to get me to come over. Since then they have thrown a little bit of OT my way, but not near as much as before.

I have developed my own processes to highly optimize what it is that I do cut down 90% of the tedium to meet my deliverables each week. Nothing groundbreaking, just stuff like VBA code to quickly manage imports and exports out of SAP and my native application and other macros / dashboards to make reporting a breeze. While not groundbreaking, this is the kind of place where there is literally noone else at this plant that has any clue what I do or how I do this magic. There is zero chance they could replace me. I know it and they know I know it.

Back when the OT dried up, I was pinged by a former colleague from the previous job who had moved to a different organization within the company and wanted me to apply for a new position at former company. I jumped on the opportunity. To sum up, I just accepted an offer from my former company and will start with them on March 1st. I gave my notice to my current company yesterday and Feb 29th is my last day.

I have floated the idea to current company that I would be willing to continue to create the deliverables needed weekly for an ad-hoc charge per week as moonlighting work for myself after I leave. My custom processes I"ve developed means it would not be difficult for me to do after hours at home. This would save them money as they are no longer paying me hourly per week, but a one time charge per deliverable (its a weekly deliverable) which I would be happy taking less than half of what they're paying me now for. Why would I do this you might ask? Again, my processes makes it super easy to do and I could spit out in free time from home.

They've already admitted they're not going to be able to replace me any time soon and are already pressing me to extensively document my processes and custom code / applications that I personally developed in order to optimize the data management needed to create the weekly development. I don't really want to do that because that is my competitive advantage and I want to leverage that advantage for this side-gig (at least until they finally find a replacement and get them trained up and able to work as agile as I can).

Again, I'm not a direct employee of this current company, I'm just a contractor and I have a very good relationship with my contact company. I have no relationship with the big corporation I currently work for and no personal relationships with anyone here.

Thoughts and opinions?

P.S. new job is a small pay cut.... but is remote work and a leadership position with high potential for career growth. Current job is a 45 minute commute and I'd probably be doing this poo poo the rest of my life.

Sorry for :words:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Why are you already undercutting yourself in the negotiation

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Why are you already undercutting yourself in the negotiation

Cause I'm fishing for a side gig and want to make it seem like they're going to come out ahead on this.

They're cutting budgets everywhere and I could see them just accepting the fact that they might not replace my capability and go back to how they used to do it before me which was very stone-age.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

You're probably better off asking in the Negotiation thread in BFC than here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Artadius posted:

Alright, I could use some advice.

I'm currently employed in a highly technical and specialized position for a large chemical company within one of their plant's maintenance department. I am a contractor and not a direct employee. I took this job almost a couple of years ago and left a salaried position for another large company because this new job paid quite a bit more (hourly) AND had Overtime on top of that which would amount to an average of 40 OT hours per month. Former job offered to match my base rate to keep me, but couldn't compete with the OT. I took the contract gig.

Long story short I've regretted that decision quite a bit over the almost two years because the work is monotonous and has quite a lot of frustrating roadblocks. At least the OT made up for that... until somewhat recently. They pretty much cut out all OT for everyone in the plant a few months ago. I've raised a stink that I'm not happy with this because it was a verbal agreement that this was the "deal" to get me to come over. Since then they have thrown a little bit of OT my way, but not near as much as before.

I have developed my own processes to highly optimize what it is that I do cut down 90% of the tedium to meet my deliverables each week. Nothing groundbreaking, just stuff like VBA code to quickly manage imports and exports out of SAP and my native application and other macros / dashboards to make reporting a breeze. While not groundbreaking, this is the kind of place where there is literally noone else at this plant that has any clue what I do or how I do this magic. There is zero chance they could replace me. I know it and they know I know it.

Back when the OT dried up, I was pinged by a former colleague from the previous job who had moved to a different organization within the company and wanted me to apply for a new position at former company. I jumped on the opportunity. To sum up, I just accepted an offer from my former company and will start with them on March 1st. I gave my notice to my current company yesterday and Feb 29th is my last day.

I have floated the idea to current company that I would be willing to continue to create the deliverables needed weekly for an ad-hoc charge per week as moonlighting work for myself after I leave. My custom processes I"ve developed means it would not be difficult for me to do after hours at home. This would save them money as they are no longer paying me hourly per week, but a one time charge per deliverable (its a weekly deliverable) which I would be happy taking less than half of what they're paying me now for. Why would I do this you might ask? Again, my processes makes it super easy to do and I could spit out in free time from home.

They've already admitted they're not going to be able to replace me any time soon and are already pressing me to extensively document my processes and custom code / applications that I personally developed in order to optimize the data management needed to create the weekly development. I don't really want to do that because that is my competitive advantage and I want to leverage that advantage for this side-gig (at least until they finally find a replacement and get them trained up and able to work as agile as I can).

Again, I'm not a direct employee of this current company, I'm just a contractor and I have a very good relationship with my contact company. I have no relationship with the big corporation I currently work for and no personal relationships with anyone here.

Thoughts and opinions?

P.S. new job is a small pay cut.... but is remote work and a leadership position with high potential for career growth. Current job is a 45 minute commute and I'd probably be doing this poo poo the rest of my life.

Sorry for :words:

Ok, as a fellow contractor:

1) take the non-contracting gig. gently caress contracting.

2) verbal agreements are worth nothing. Verbal agreements with contractors are worth less than nothing.

3) Don't work on a part time or ad hoc basis for your past employer, I've been in that spot before and they will 100% demand your attention when you're busy with your other job. And since they see you as an on-call service they will be pissed that you aren't able to do it right now. Plus, you really want to be focusing on your new job.

4) Read your existing contract. What you have developed may well be your own IP. It is if it isn't specified as a deliverable in the contract, or if there isn't some gently caress awful clause about anything you develop during your employment belonging to them. If they have made a contractor a load bearing employee and didn't specify in the contract that any programs or documentation you developed belonged to them? Sucks to suck. They should have some published SOPs for WIs for those processes pre-dating you, and that is what they should fall back on. If they're REALLY hosed and you're feeling generous you could negotiate an agreement to sell them that code and applications and document it as well, but that's a separate agreement between you and them. If go this route make abso loving lutely sure to specify that there is no warranty or support period, and don't under-sell the value of what you're signing over.

Now, if your contract specifies that they own anything you developed during your employment period they have the right to demand that stuff of you, but it sounds like they don't and that would be a pretty awful contract for you to sign in the first place. A good chunk of my current job is un-loving the mess left by the end of the previous contract when my employer hired some people to come in and develop a bespoke analytics model and made a surprised pikachu face when they declined to renew the contract and weren't left with any of the documentation on how to use it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Artadius posted:

Cause I'm fishing for a side gig and want to make it seem like they're going to come out ahead on this.

They're cutting budgets everywhere and I could see them just accepting the fact that they might not replace my capability and go back to how they used to do it before me which was very stone-age.

Assuming you're in the USA you would be paying taxes on your self employed income, unless you think they're going to keep you on as an employee? I would not expect that.

Assuming that's true, and you're now some 1099 direct contractor, you need to make sure you're keeping these costs in mind, and rolling them into the cost of your services. You might want/need to incorporate into a business entity, to absolve yourself of personal liability, an accountant, etc. This all has costs and overhead.

On paper, I would not suggest doing the job as a contractor if you're not billing them for double what they would have paid you normally, if not a little more.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now, if your contract specifies that they own anything you developed during your employment period they have the right to demand that stuff of you,

I switched jobs a while back and my new employer wanted me to use custom tools I'd developed on the clock elsewhere. Got all kinds of indignation when I told them they'd, at a minimum have to (A) get an ok from previous employer to recreate the idea part of the non-proprietery IP (and in this case, old employer would have been ok with it) and (B) pay me the time it takes to write the new version of code. That was the hangup: "I'm not paying for you when you can just copy and paste."

I just shrugged it off and we never used it. He grumbled for years. We both eventually moved on but I'd heard he's still using code he shouldn't have access to. Not my problem anymore.

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012

Rawrbomb posted:

Assuming you're in the USA you would be paying taxes on your self employed income, unless you think they're going to keep you on as an employee? I would not expect that.

Assuming that's true, and you're now some 1099 direct contractor, you need to make sure you're keeping these costs in mind, and rolling them into the cost of your services. You might want/need to incorporate into a business entity, to absolve yourself of personal liability, an accountant, etc. This all has costs and overhead.

On paper, I would not suggest doing the job as a contractor if you're not billing them for double what they would have paid you normally, if not a little more.

Good ask.

That's covered though. My current contract company is A-OK with continuing to pay me as an employee via the ad-hoc work if the corporation goes for it because contract company also knows they're not going to be able to replace me anytime soon. So they'd still cover taxes and bare minimum benefits via overhead charge on my delivery fee.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I would make sure you're legally able to withhold the work you did. Then I would demand gently caress you contractor rates and get your pound of flesh.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Artadius posted:

Good ask.

That's covered though. My current contract company is A-OK with continuing to pay me as an employee via the ad-hoc work if the corporation goes for it because contract company also knows they're not going to be able to replace me anytime soon. So they'd still cover taxes and bare minimum benefits via overhead charge on my delivery fee.

Your part-time client is always your neediest client.

Seriously, it's a bad idea. YMMV if you owe money to the mob or something and need extra income badly, but in my experience it's not a good situation.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Outrail posted:

I would make sure you're legally able to withhold the work you did. Then I would demand gently caress you contractor rates and get your pound of flesh.

I can't quote this advice hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
If you do the side gig, be very very VERY clear that you're only available for certain windows, like 7-9pm on Thursday nights, and then absolutely never break that.

Don't negotiate an hourly rate without boundaries because that will make them think of you like they do lawyers - already ready for a call to bill more hours.