Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

loving hell I accidentaly crushed the bottom of the coffin of my Redemptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eej posted:

Yeah these are quite literally the easiest to paint with miniature painting tricks. An immaculately clean pauldron with a simple free handed symbol is a thousand times harder.

:hmmyes:

The Demilich posted:

loving hell I accidentaly crushed the bottom of the coffin of my Redemptor.

use it like an asset to bring character or backstory to the model.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Hey, resin afficiandos.

Before I break a part I can't easily replace, how would you connect/pin a blade onto the end of a handle, especially one small and/or spindly like a spear?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Shockeh posted:

Hey, resin afficiandos.

Before I break a part I can't easily replace, how would you connect/pin a blade onto the end of a handle, especially one small and/or spindly like a spear?

picture?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd use super glue and accelerator.

Pinning can be unpredictable with resin.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

use it like an asset to bring character or backstory to the model.

It was the underside of the coffin where it connects to the hips, no one would see the damage but it very much botched how it all fits together.

Thankfully I fixed it but yeesh.

Yeah post a pic

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Sorry, quick phone snap, but you get the idea. Going to put the head facing to his left so we get a two handed charge pose.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
id agree with previous poster super glue and accelerant if required.

too small to pin unless you have some serious skill and shouldnt matter.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

That's about the thickness of Iron Father Feirros' staff from the look of it.

I used a 0.5mm drill bit to bore a hole, sunk the same size wire into said hole with superglue, then bore another hole for the top part of the weapon.

It's doable. Score your bit with an x to get a center point for your drill bit as mentioned earlier in the thread.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

If you don't want to do that, roll out greenstuff into a super super thin sheet on some wax paper. Cut a strip from this as a cloth strap and use that as an intermediary to connect both bits.

Example stolen from insta:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean if you feel ccol with fingerdrilling

which sounds about as vile as can be go for it

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

It takes 5 to 10 minutes tbh, with a clean break it'll be even quicker. My Feirros had a diagonal break which sucked but I managed, and it still took less than 10 minutes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd also recommend reinforcing your glue bond with something like a greenstuff purity seal.

Put the seal on the blade, with the ribbon draped back across where you glued it.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Working on an Imperial Fist!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

The Demilich posted:

:nws:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Demilich posted:

Pan up for :nws:.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
These calm.jpg edits are getting real abstract.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Odd question, but what is the largest version of a Chaos plasma pistol? I’m thinking about using a Blightlord terminator as a Killteam Plague Marine Champion and want one that won’t look small in its hand.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Probably the vintage plastic Khorne Berserker one, right? It's got external piping and was scaled for 2nd edition.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Blightlords come with a combi-plas - it’d take a little fixing up to hide where it attaches to the bolter but it’s going to be scaled to their hands.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The WE juggerlord comes with a decent spiky plasma pistol. Might also be a lot of them around on bits sites since Invocatus was the most popular build option for that kit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
With respect to drilling barrels, particularly with marines, you should also drill out the side holes in the muzzle brake

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Doing that makes drilling the top hole so much easier too. Especially when you use a drill that fits the side holes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

Doing that makes drilling the top hole so much easier too. Especially when you use a drill that fits the side holes.

I really need to label my bits, because I have one that hits those muzzle brake holes perfectly but I can never remember which one

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I finished my Spartan! It is the first vehicle I have ever painted. :toot:

My plan is to run it as a Venerable Land Raider with my Custodes. Specifically, I will use it as a party bus for five Allarus Terminators led by a Shield Captain.

I have entered a (very informal) 2v2 tournament with a friend who plays Imperial Guard. Our combined army is called Boys und Panzer - he brings five Leman Russes, and I guess I bring the boys. Putting 700 points into what is essentially a single unit is probably not a good idea when we only have 2000 points together, but it'll probably be fun!

The tank has a bunch of technical flaws, but I'm pleased at how it matches the colour scheme of the Custodians - the red eyes became red lights, and the green jewels became green targeting lenses, and the purple cloaks are reflected in the wires of the Lascannons.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
very rad

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Spartans look sick, I should build mine.

Speedpainted this Terminator to get an idea for my colour scheme and also cause I need to just get some painted bodies on the table so I can play some 10th. I think I used too much turquoise for the body to be considered black and I ended up layering too much white so I lost depth on the shoulders. Less is more!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I almost bought an already assembled and painted spartan yesterday for $58 to be a proxy land raider, since I don't play 30k. I probably should have but I need to stop spending money on tiny plastic.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

I use the same size bit for both the brakes and the barrel, it looks fine and leaves less barrel to worry about

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, that's what I use as well. Got one drill bit that fits just right with the side holes and I use that for both front and sides.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah, that's what I use as well. Got one drill bit that fits just right with the side holes and I use that for both front and sides.

Bingo, that's how I solved the question of "what size do I use?"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its pink dammit

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's my rule of thumb also, whatever bit I used to drill the compensator holes is the same one I use to drill out the barrel itself and it tends to work out fine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eej posted:

Spartans look sick, I should build mine.

Speedpainted this Terminator to get an idea for my colour scheme and also cause I need to just get some painted bodies on the table so I can play some 10th. I think I used too much turquoise for the body to be considered black and I ended up layering too much white so I lost depth on the shoulders. Less is more!

I think that's a good color balance though, looks awesome

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Taking stock of my armor, trying to figure out what to add to the warband:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Do people get up your rear end if you do unusual color schemes or something? I like the Salamander lore but their color scheme is boring as poo poo. Fucken Ord/Llael rear end color scheme

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
10th edition explicitly broke any requirements for colour schemes to match chapters so go hog wild. If you paint Black Templar Crusader Squads in Ultramarine colours feel free to collect the tears.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

The Demilich posted:

Taking stock of my armor, trying to figure out what to add to the warband:

1 Mastodon

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eej posted:

10th edition explicitly broke any requirements for colour schemes to match chapters so go hog wild. If you paint Black Templar Crusader Squads in Ultramarine colours feel free to collect the tears.
Ultramarine colored Chaos Marines would be funny, especially if it was a sloppy layer over normal colors. The war crime squad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also, the galaxy is a big place, and any possible faction shenanigans are permissable and even justifiable in lore.

* The Ultramarines force on some kind of Vengeance crusade, who adopt tactics that eerily resemble the Black Templars
* The Black Legion warband comprised of a Sorceror and his retinue of carefully looted Rubrics over the last 10,000 years
* The Evil Sunz Kult of Speed who got wrecked on a planet with nearly no metallic resources, so they built wooden chariots, saved all the metal for Dakka instead and now resemble AoS Orruks (This owns, do this someone.)
* The Craftworld that fled into the Webway, became consumed by hatred and now look more like their Drukhari cousins, but still hold to the Aspects to stave off falling to Khaine completely.

This is how you make characterful armies, people!