Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

bawk posted:

I'm going with wildcard: food item processed at the same place as cashew butter, not cashews

It's the rhubarb. <looks sadly at the bag of rhubarb in freezer that was going to be for Xmas dessert> At least it's a food I only ate once or twice a year, right? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Hooray the annual "dad is being a complete shithead re: the holidays for no readily discernible reason and he sure isn't gonna tell us why" deathmarch is going off without a hitch :toot:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend asked me if I want to do an online pokémon tabletop game with her spouse and her. I respectfully declined and said I wasn't really in the tabletop games anymore, but now she's definitely acting a bit put off because I said no. She and I have our own RPG that hasn't really done anything in almost a month in between the holiday crazy, her being sick, and the fact she and her spouse already do two nights of tabletop games a week. I'd much rather go back to ours, but at this point I don't really have any hopes of it ever continuing.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

My best friends never texted me to say anything about the gifts I got for them and their kids

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

My best friends never texted me to say anything about the gifts I got for them and their kids

Oh that's the worst because then it's always "Oh I was just so busy" but odds are they weren't too busy to open the gifts. Still, you have to let them when they do such things. Fighting it only makes it worse. Move forward and prioritize yourself better.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Not today but over the weekend...water main broke in my apartment complex & my building plus a neighboring one were without water for more than 48 hours. Thankfully the management office/clubhouse had water & available bathrooms so I was able to trek over & fill up some gallon water jugs for home until everything was fixed Sunday morning. Unfortunately the weekend was a muddy, rainy mess & I slipped on some mud, twisting my ankle & landing weird on my left arm. Nothing broken but goddamn do I hate limping around, especially after it snowed the last 2 days & the sidewalks/parking lot were iced over like crazy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Rpol.net did a huge rework yesterday or so, and now the format is off on nearly all my rpg. Missing random punctuation for 200 pages loving sucks.

My neighbor's under-5-year old kid got a bike for Xmas and has been doing huge circles in the street, which is mostly blocked by garbage and recycling cans. The kid DOES NOT STOP but simply rides out in front of any cars passing by, and won't move out of the road even when you honk your horn at him. The loving garbage collection truck laid on their horn loud because he just kept biking in wide circles while his parents kinda looked at him from their yard.

They did, however, put up a homemade sign on a post and have that in the road warning people there are kids at play and to drive slow.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rpol.net did a huge rework yesterday or so, and now the format is off on nearly all my rpg. Missing random punctuation for 200 pages loving sucks.

My neighbor's under-5-year old kid got a bike for Xmas and has been doing huge circles in the street, which is mostly blocked by garbage and recycling cans. The kid DOES NOT STOP but simply rides out in front of any cars passing by, and won't move out of the road even when you honk your horn at him. The loving garbage collection truck laid on their horn loud because he just kept biking in wide circles while his parents kinda looked at him from their yard.

They did, however, put up a homemade sign on a post and have that in the road warning people there are kids at play and to drive slow.

That's actually insane. Are they trying to kill their own child? :psyduck:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea. Both kids were out when I got home today and just sitting on their bikes on the sidewalk, no parents anywhere.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Unfortunately that is a problem that will correct itself sooner rather than laxter :( and the parents will blame literally any and everything else but themselves.

E: This is not calling for it to happen, this is an observation and a prediction based on the actions of similarly lovely parents I have had the misfortune of knowing about.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Dec 31, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

We've had about 2 meters of snow over the last couple of days which is bad enough but today I woke up to my find my water main frozen. I'm praying to Satan I manage to thaw it out before the weekend, where we have been forecast -20c weather :waycool: my landlord is 'out of town' until monday lmfao. gently caress you!!

Ok well I told him that for all i know those pipes can burst at any time and if that happens, that's at least two apartments that will be destroyed, plus, you know I have no water which I would like to have, and he just does not care. :psyduck:

Biplane has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Jan 3, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My friend texted me today to see how I was doing and if I was home which was kind of weird because we're both at work this time, usually. After a little small talk, he said that he had moved in with his girlfriend which is good. The reason behind it is bad: he lived in a mobile home and noticed on Sunday that the living room floor seemed a little slanted. So being the handyman he is, he pulled up part of the floor and noticed that the water pipes and electrical cords running under the house had chew marks on them.

So whatever the version of roof rats or other nasty rodents that happen to go underneath homes and chew up stuff, they pretty much destroyed the underside of his house and from the mold down there from the leaks, the entire floor is pretty much ruined.

He just finished paying the home off. Last year his divorce was finalized, he also had to give his ex two of their dogs, and two of his three cats had health complications and passed away within months of each other.

And here I was thinking he was just texting me to see when he could drop off my Christmas present because he's been sick for the past month or so. I don't know how I can help him, although I might have been able to convince him to keep one if it's too fish tanks and just consolidate everything, and I can help him sell or store the other one.

It would be almost 15 grand to replace the floor and all the damage, and insurance won't cover it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Well looks like my nightmare came true, my downstairs neighbor woke me up at 5am because waters dripping from her ceiling. Can't wait to get into a months long legal battle with my landlord, the wastrel failson of a rich and succesful lawyer, over who gets to pick up the bill, even though I'm about 90% sure that legally I'm covered. gently caress!!!!!!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Got bullied a shitton coming into work today to the point where I had to go up the chain to my boss, which was embarrassing. I acquitted myself as well as I could but goddamn I'm tired of this office. I would have moved on literally years ago if I could have.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Some dumb gently caress put a weighted blanket in their dogs box so we had to clean a pool of molten glass out of the retort.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Took my car in for a check and ended up needing a new radiator since the coolant had almost entirely leaked out. Some $800 bill later...

One of my serpent starfish died. I think when I reorganized some of the tank's rockwork, I hit his body, which is the only thing I can think made an injury/cut, which spread and ended up killing him. I'm hoping that's all it was, not something bacterial, because none of the other stars will come out since my rockwork is poo poo now and I'm worried to mess with it all again.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I just got to work and realized I smell like onions. I did have a dish containing onions before coming in, but it's not my breath, maybe some sauce dripped on my shirt but I can't find any stain? Gonna try to avoid being around people as much as possible tonight so they don't think I always smell like onions. :(

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I just found out one of my oldest neighbors and friends died of undiagnosed cancer, he was a really great bloke to be around and basically like extended family to me and my siblings, I remember one time he brought over his goats for us to mind for a week and they ate all my dads beets and onions.

Edit: gently caress me I just got word one of my sweet little nieces managed to tip a cup of hot water and get burns bad enough to need a graft, my heart hurts today.(figuratively don't send an ambulance my way)

coldpudding has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Jan 15, 2024

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
My dad is dying of cancer & it loving sucks. Visited my parents today to help out since he fractured his hip a couple weeks ago & has been taking it easy. He's had pain in his back/shoulders & found out the cancer in his lungs/kidney are aggressively growing into his spine. Diagnosis was 6-8 months, they'll be doing targeted radiation but it has us all wrecked. My mom's already in rough shape with COPD & lung issues bad enough that she needs oxygen; I'm the only family nearby & closest relatives are 4+ hours away in Missouri.

gently caress CANCER. First my grandpa, then grandma, then 2 aunts, a cousin & my sister so far have had various forms of it. I hate feeling like the hourglass is rapidly slipping away & I'm helpless to do a drat thing about it. I hate talking about plans for death & afterward, plus seeing how badly my mom is taking the news. All I can do is hope that the treatment(s) work & he can stick around for a little longer, even if it's a little selfish. :smith:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My mom basically disowned me this afternoon for her/this morning for me because she has some one-sided blood-feud with my wife for like, existing while a woman in my life. We're moving from the in-law's multigeneration house to a flat two minute's walk away, and she wasn't the first to know. She got the news from my grandma-in-law posting pics of us packing on facebook and then just exploded in this tirade in texts to me and my wife about my whore bride and betrayal to the family and she's not allowed to see her grandbabies and she's done and blah blah blah out of nowhere because I "went behind her back"

when like no mom I was going to mention it just, idk, didn't come up, there was no conspiracy. you can see them whenever you just don't.

the betrayal to the family especially sucks but also is lol because she moved to England to marry some tory brit pos in here retirement just recently, and doesn't talk to the rest of the family in France or USA.

and what really stings is that within like 20 minutes of her tirade of texts starting, we were sorting stuff into "junk" and "save" piles and I sorted these mom and baby dinosaur plushies I've had since as long as I can remember into the "save" pile.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

My marriage is falling apart

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've been pretty stressed and burned out dealing with renovating + moving in to the new apartment, I've felt like I've constantly been behind on everything, and poo poo like my old landlord going '8 days? you've got to be out in 4 days.' just made it all the more stressful.
I moved into a partially finished apartment, because the electricians didn't finish for christmas, and then took a 3 week break. Then they didn't do anything for 2 weeks after that.
So I've been living in a partially complete apartment that's been freezing, and had no ceiling lights other than in the bathroom, and no functioning kitchen (thankfully fridge/freezer though.) for 3 weeks now.

They suddenly found out that 'oh poo poo he paid for poo poo we haven't done', and did a fuckton of stuff last week, completely upending my apartment, but doing the stuff they should have done last year.
When I came back on saturday after a company trip, it looked like the only thing that remained was getting my stovetop hooked up. When I came back on monday they'd torn out a bunch of my kitchen cupboards. Today they started on the wall.
Wiring to the stovetop's hosed, earthing issue. Apparently I now need to get a new cable through my bedroom to hook up the stove, because they can't get the old one out either.
This is all poo poo they could have caught and fixed last year if not for the fact that the loving project lead guy never told the electricians they were supposed to do all this poo poo. The moment the new fusebox came in it instantly started tripping on the stovetop-circuit.

I'm so exhausted, and I thought all this poo poo had finally ended, but now I've got to ram through another round of constant electricians running in whenever to do a few min of work, another couple days of dreading every loving time I come back home.
loving christ I'm so tired. It's so utterly loving lovely standing at the goal line, finally thinking I could lower my shoulders, and now every loving day my apartment is more busted, and broken open.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Waiting for a job to get back to me if I have it or not. Second interview Monday, sent references before then at their request, and one of my references pinged me back saying they had been in touch and the reference was glowing.

Then four days of nothing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My shoes have big holes in them. My feet are constantly wet and freezing :negative:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Biplane posted:

My shoes have big holes in them. My feet are constantly wet and freezing :negative:
yeah crocs are great

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My cat's kidney disease has progressed somewhat and my vet wants me to start him on subcutaneous fluids. Once a week to start. He's 17, he's not getting any younger, and he's already on a bunch of meds, but this feels like a bigger development.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's been a few days but ongoing

We took my cat in to the vet we work at and my wife ran blood work on him. His thyroid levels are so high the idexx machine wasn't even able to spit out a number.

He's seven years old and we already saved his life once when he got shot. gently caress I'm gonna miss this guy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Colonoscopy! First one I've had, alongside an endoscopy, since my family has a history of suspicious polyps in there I figured I'd check earlier than one normally would. Not too bad in itself, literally put an IV in and say "you will be asleep in 30 seconds" and blammo, out like a light for 3 hours. Wake up, most everything is fine, but they took a biopsy of my esophagus and so it hurts internally and will for a day or two. Sucks! But doesn't suck as much as the colonoscopy prep, holy gently caress the making GBS threads your brains out part isn't even the worst part, it's the not eating anything solid for 24 hours prior, and nothing but clear juice/Gatorade for most of that time, then the 100oz total of laxatives. My stomach felt like it was devouring itself for almost the entire day beforehand. Bleh

On top of that, mom was diagnosed with shingles yesterday, and today has a fever, low blood pressure, and a heart rate of 147-157. So now we're in the ER only a handful of hours from my colonoscopy, and they absolutely will admit her to the hospital for who knows how long, because this is like the 30th time we've been here and that always happens for her heart poo poo.

Just one thing after another. At least I'm already off for medical leave and vacation to begin with so I don't have to worry about work.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Look on the bright side, at least they did the endoscopy first. I hope

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nope they do it at basically the same time when you sign up for the combo deal

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Medically spitroasted :stare:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I meant that as they use the same scope. It is a joke, you see.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Biplane posted:

Medically spitroasted :stare:
An excellent parachute account name

I'm so close to having enough saved for the new computer, but poo poo keeps coming up to eat entire paychecks. This happened when I was trying to save for my current one, too :negative: I'm so close to the finish line, universe. Please. Just be nice to me for a little longer.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
My stereo ate a limited run (14 copies) sold out tape today that I never even got to listen to.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
About a month ago our dishwasher died. I mean, it was old, they don't even make this model anymore. Home warranty will replace it. Easy done!

But not done. We don't have a new dishwasher yet. Because my retired mom has decided she wanted to redo the entire kitchen, perhaps tear out some cabinets she has always hated and get a pantry installed and new tiles and paint and....

After about a week of pricing, she realized we legit can't afford it. BUT she says she will sell some old gold jewelry and get a loan so we can get a new sink and faucet, and new countertops. There is nothing wrong with any of these that I can tell. I tried to compromise and say skip the countertops but nope, they HAVE TO BE DONE because there are four nicks in the old ones and what if the dishwasher installers break more and they won't replace it since it was already chipped!

About five weeks in now. We have the new sink and faucet, in the garage. The countertops are being made/cut. Now the plumbers are calling because they need to schedule to remove the old sink, and then they come back after the countertops are done, to put in the new sink. OH, and we need to find someone to move the oven away without breaking it because, you know, the installer don't do that. But we don't have a date for anything because we don't know when the countertops will be ready.

They estimated 4-8 weeks.

My mom has started complaining about handwashing dishes. Earlier she said she didn't mind if I didn't do mine because I do extra chores around the house, but after the cluster of the past few weeks, and being dragged to home improvement stores to look at various poo poo, I still use mostly paper plates, but gently caress it, I use pots and pans to cook now too. I'm done with sandwiches 3x a day to limit dishes.

Pet news: our cat Janos has a cloudy eye. Took a week to get him into the vet, who looked him over and said he should have gone to the E-vet, but here's a list of cat eye specialists. No meds. No eye drops. They did offer to trim his nails for $40. Mom wants to see if our cat rescue vet can check him over, which I veto'd, since those idiots refuse to mask and Covid has hit round 6 or so with them. So we're trying to get him to our old vet, who rarely has openings at all.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Pulled a muscle in my back simply getting up and now I just want to die forever from the pain.

Getting old sucks, lmao.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Detheros posted:

Pulled a muscle in my back simply getting up and now I just want to die forever from the pain.

Getting old sucks, lmao.

:hfive:

I baked some cookies yesterday to celebrate getting a job but I ate too many of the cookies and today my tummy hurts :negative:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I got a new keyboard since the spacebar on the old one was dying. I decided since I'm upgrading my computer in a while let's get something nice; I got a SteelSeries Apex 3, it's pretty nice... when it loving works. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is, but this wired USB keyboard will at complete random lose connection to my computer. Sometimes it will pop back up within seconds as if nothing happened. Sometimes it stays down and I have to physically unplug and replug it to unfuck it. Sometimes it goes days without it happening. Sometimes it'll do it 3 times inside of an hour.

It isn't the USB ports, I've plugged it into them all and none of them are shutting it down to conserve power. It isn't the drivers, I've wiped and reinstalled them several times, and factory reset the keyboard itself twice. I've done everything short of a full flatten and reinstall of Windows, and I'm not fuckin' goin' that far for a god be damned keyboard.
So fine, I'll just get the manufacturer to RMA it and hopefully the replacement will not randomly cut out on me.
:pseudo: "We're gonna need you to send photographic evidence that you've destroyed the defective device "
O...kay... little weird, but makes sense, don't want the customer bilking them out of two keyboards I guess. Can I at least have the replacement keyboard to make sure it works, first?
:pseudo: "Oh yeah, sure! Just make sure you send the evidence within 7 days of the new product arriving or you won't be refunded the cost of sending the second one."

Fair enough. Wait, it's been a week since I placed the order, but I made a typo in my address. Can I fix that?
:pseudo: "Actually we're out of stock of the keyboard you asked for. If you could go ahead and send those pics of you fuckin' up the defective one, that would be greaaat. We'll send you a code for the value towards another one afterwards!"

So my options are deal with a fritzing keyboard, or just plain not fuckin' have one! :negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My boss is very forgetful, which sucks but isn't a huge deal because he doesn't blame us for delays on projects.

However, he's told project leads that I am unreliable, not visible enough and I don't follow-through.

He didn't give specifics, so I compiled a folder of everything I'm working on that has stalled because he keeps forgetting to do his part.

I was annoyed but now I'm furious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I got a new keyboard since the spacebar on the old one was dying. I decided since I'm upgrading my computer in a while let's get something nice; I got a SteelSeries Apex 3, it's pretty nice... when it loving works. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is, but this wired USB keyboard will at complete random lose connection to my computer. Sometimes it will pop back up within seconds as if nothing happened. Sometimes it stays down and I have to physically unplug and replug it to unfuck it. Sometimes it goes days without it happening. Sometimes it'll do it 3 times inside of an hour.

It isn't the USB ports, I've plugged it into them all and none of them are shutting it down to conserve power. It isn't the drivers, I've wiped and reinstalled them several times, and factory reset the keyboard itself twice. I've done everything short of a full flatten and reinstall of Windows, and I'm not fuckin' goin' that far for a god be damned keyboard.
So fine, I'll just get the manufacturer to RMA it and hopefully the replacement will not randomly cut out on me.
:pseudo: "We're gonna need you to send photographic evidence that you've destroyed the defective device "
O...kay... little weird, but makes sense, don't want the customer bilking them out of two keyboards I guess. Can I at least have the replacement keyboard to make sure it works, first?
:pseudo: "Oh yeah, sure! Just make sure you send the evidence within 7 days of the new product arriving or you won't be refunded the cost of sending the second one."

Fair enough. Wait, it's been a week since I placed the order, but I made a typo in my address. Can I fix that?
:pseudo: "Actually we're out of stock of the keyboard you asked for. If you could go ahead and send those pics of you fuckin' up the defective one, that would be greaaat. We'll send you a code for the value towards another one afterwards!"

So my options are deal with a fritzing keyboard, or just plain not fuckin' have one! :negative:

Have you tried updating the steelseries engine? It's not the same company, but my corsair mouse started turbo clicking out of the blue and a firmware downgrade or a newer upgrade fixed it.

Also, do you have anything else that can take a usb keyboard, like an xbone/laptop/tablet (probably need a micro USB/usb-c adapter) to test it out?