Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Knormal posted:

"My god, they've started mining Bitcoin!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Source

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

If Star Trek still did 20+ episode seasons that would be no problem at all. But we get 10 episodes now if we're lucky. Has the well seriously run so dry that the showrunners can't think of stories to tell using the main cast?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arc Light posted:

If Star Trek still did 20+ episode seasons that would be no problem at all. But we get 10 episodes now if we're lucky. Has the well seriously run so dry that the showrunners can't think of stories to tell using the main cast?

I’m sure the showrunners would love to have larger seasons, but tv in general has been trending toward European-style limited seasons for over a decade now. It also does have the benefit of limiting writer fatigue and freeing up actors for other projects.

But it’s hardly a phenomenon exclusive to Star Trek.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's loving mental to see that they finished writing an episode like December 1987, finished filming it February 1988 and it was aired March 1988
No wonder they wanted to change how they did stuff

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They were running out of ideas in Enterprise and Bakula has been pretty outspoken about how shooting 26 episode seasons was killing everyone. And with hundreds of episodes across all of Star Trek... yeah, all the basic morality plays have been done in some form.

I'll wager that's a big reason why the two seasons of SNW have each picked one theme to stick with and then had virtually every episode of that season has been about exploring that theme in a particular way. Less breadth, more depth.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I’d love to go back to 24 episode seasons, but I don’t think it’s ever happening. Maybe 18 is a good compromise for more and not completely decimating the crew?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kirk was only in 3 episodes last season. It felt like more though.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

holefoods posted:

I’d love to go back to 24 episode seasons, but I don’t think it’s ever happening. Maybe 18 is a good compromise for more and not completely decimating the crew?

I think 15-18 is a better number to aim for. The trouble with only 10 episodes is that the fun gimmick episodes now take up a third of the season and it feels too much.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Alchenar posted:

They were running out of ideas in Enterprise and Bakula has been pretty outspoken about how shooting 26 episode seasons was killing everyone. And with hundreds of episodes across all of Star Trek... yeah, all the basic morality plays have been done in some form.

I'll wager that's a big reason why the two seasons of SNW have each picked one theme to stick with and then had virtually every episode of that season has been about exploring that theme in a particular way. Less breadth, more depth.

Yeah TV production, especially SFX heavy ones will never be able to shoot the way they once did.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

xerxus posted:

Kirk was only in 3 episodes last season. It felt like more though.

30% of the episodes feels like a lot, yeah.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
He wasn't just in them, he tended to dominate them, but they were pretty good episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In the two seasons we’ve gotten so far, I’ve only kinda hated one episode. So I’m fine with limited seasons and I’m fine with New Kirk showing up every now and then. They’re clearly headed toward him being a main cast member at some point anyway and I like the portrayal, so :shrug:

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In the two seasons we’ve gotten so far, I’ve only kinda hated one episode. So I’m fine with limited seasons and I’m fine with New Kirk showing up every now and then. They’re clearly headed toward him being a main cast member at some point anyway and I like the portrayal, so :shrug:

I like him too

E: "idiot chess" was great

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

imo we'll eventually get a reveal that pike was planning to retire from the center seat and has been the one bringing in kirk to take his measure, test him and ultimately familiarize him with his future command staff. it's a smart move and entirely in keeping with pike's character

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I enjoy looking at old 50’s and 60’s TV sitcoms and admiring their 30-70 episode seasons. Purestrain run this poo poo into the ground enthusiasm at work!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kesper North posted:

imo we'll eventually get a reveal that pike was planning to retire from the center seat and has been the one bringing in kirk to take his measure, test him and ultimately familiarize him with his future command staff. it's a smart move and entirely in keeping with pike's character

Pike is very much not planning to retire, that's an important part of the premise of the series.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pinterest Mom posted:

Pike is very much not planning to retire, that's an important part of the premise of the series.

Well, not immediately, but he's still gotta go teach at the Academy eventually to end up in the chair in the first place. I suspect he wants to ride horses for at least a year or two before chair time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Being a filthy European, unsurprisingly I prefer the shorter season runs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Short series don't let the characters breathe I think
The new live action last airbender says they're cutting out the sort of "filler" episodes but to me those episodes matter and flesh out your characters

I'm kinda glad Anime still does colossal series

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Taear posted:

That industry being the epitome of "brutal, endless grinding work".

I was reading this article about how Maurice Hurley ruined "the Royale" and this quote from frequent director Cliff "Bolians are named after mer" Bole stuck out to me.

quote:

"[T]ime just crawls up your back and you have to shoot these every goddamned day. Once you start shooting, it goes straight through until you finish 26 of them. It's like a factory. Hollywood is a factory town, and every episodic show is like that. You can't shut down. 'The Royale' was one of those things that happen in television, where you have an idea and you have to get out there and shoot it because time is coming on you. It was a quickly put together show, but received well."

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 13, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Taear posted:

Short series don't let the characters breathe I think
The new live action last airbender says they're cutting out the sort of "filler" episodes but to me those episodes matter and flesh out your characters

The normal length seasons also create room for bottle episodes and other ideas where they can't expect to have a big budget or effects and can't afford to haul in everyone everyday and you end up with good episodes with a story that basically only takes place between characters in a room talking. Or wild ideas that might not normally get in a season for being too strange or disconnected from the rest.

I really wonder how many modern shows will end up having a conversation tail like the old Treks do. There's just so much more and with greater variety of the old stuff, rewatching seasons entire episodes can feel new even if you've technically seen them 3 times before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's simple: 16 seasons of 10 episodes.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It also does have the benefit of limiting writer fatigue
Which is crazy, because most new shows I've watched don't feel like they have writers at all!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So writers need to be fatigued to get it done right and these new baby seasons aren't enough to tire em out so they stay all hyper and drown us in bad ideas with no filter. Therefore we need to find new ways to make writers fatigued without adding more episodes. Maybe we get them uncomfortable pillows and sneak them caffeine before bed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

So writers need to be fatigued to get it done right and these new baby seasons aren't enough to tire em out so they stay all hyper and drown us in bad ideas with no filter. Therefore we need to find new ways to make writers fatigued without adding more episodes. Maybe we get them uncomfortable pillows and sneak them caffeine before bed.

Have your writers room write 26 scripts, pick ten of them and then film them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oops! All Geordie episodes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

zoux posted:

Oops! All Geordie episodes.

That's Picard S4 when they time travel back to 2024 Newcastle upon Tyne.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cFHZ3ODNA8

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PStew: Enjoying making commercials far more than Star Trek :allears:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Since we're talking episode count, I've just been on a big old binge either catching up on or rewatching a load of new Trek. I've gone through Prodigy, Lower Decks, SNW and Discovery; LD is the perfect length for the format because of how dense it is, SNW definitely needs a few more episodes per season. Discovery pretty much has the right amount for what it is.

I'm surprisingly invested in Prodigy, I want to see the galaxy's most forgettable commander make it back okay.

I have not watched Picard because the small amount I did watch and everything I've seen and heard since made me sad.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I didn’t see it mentioned, but the final season of Disco premieres 4/4

I can't believe how well Discovery turned it around, season two was a fumble for the ages that made me try to forget it ever existed, but when I started season three I just ploughed straight through to the end. My main criticism is that it's really blue and they need to stop that, no-one wants to live in perpetual sci-fi blue. Otherwise I thought it entirely redeemed itself, I'm really pumped for the last season.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 14, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

nine-gear crow posted:

PStew: Enjoying making commercials far more than Star Trek :allears:

And it’s always fun to hear his actual real accent right there at the end! :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

And it’s always fun to hear his actual real accent right there at the end! :allears:

TNG would have been loving amazing to watch if Stewart played Picard as a full on Yorkie. A loving soccer hooligan starship captain.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://youtu.be/Fx0E8HUAANI?feature=shared

Just imagine Picard calling Riker "Son" in every interaction :allears:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nine-gear crow posted:

TNG would have been loving amazing to watch if Stewart played Picard as a full on Yorkie. A loving soccer hooligan starship captain.

The whole time he still inexplicably insists that he is french.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

https://youtu.be/Fx0E8HUAANI?feature=shared

Just imagine Picard calling Riker "Son" in every interaction :allears:

Blimey, PStew TV acting in 1967 and he wasn’t in Doctor Who? They had every working British actor in the isles!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

nine-gear crow posted:

"Oi! Stuff it, Tomalak! Me firm's hahd as nails and we'll give yeh a right good kickin' if'n yeh fukkabout!"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Oi! Stuff it, Tomalak! Me firm's hahd as nails and we'll give yeh a right good kickin' if'n yeh fukkabout!"

"You may test that assumption at your earliest convenience" has the exact same energy, as the kids would say, as 'come an have a go if you think you're hard enough, oval office.'

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

"You may test that assumption at your earliest convenience" has the exact same energy, as the kids would say, as 'come an have a go if you think you're hard enough, oval office.'

Thr Romulans have the cloaking device. The Federation has the C-bomb, and a man ready and willing to drop it. And that man is Jean-Luc Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The closest we ever got to Cockney Picard was his role in Masterminds.

"UNITED! UNITED!"

https://youtu.be/Cegk6G94FC8?si=3bbOumpkQGnT3r0X

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 15, 2024