Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shockeh posted:

Also, the galaxy is a big place, and any possible faction shenanigans are permissable and even justifiable in lore.

* The Ultramarines force on some kind of Vengeance crusade, who adopt tactics that eerily resemble the Black Templars
* The Black Legion warband comprised of a Sorceror and his retinue of carefully looted Rubrics over the last 10,000 years
* The Evil Sunz Kult of Speed who got wrecked on a planet with nearly no metallic resources, so they built wooden chariots, saved all the metal for Dakka instead and now resemble AoS Orruks (This owns, do this someone.)
* The Craftworld that fled into the Webway, became consumed by hatred and now look more like their Drukhari cousins, but still hold to the Aspects to stave off falling to Khaine completely.

This is how you make characterful armies, people!
Yeah I figured that was part of the underlying reason for the lore: you can fairly easily justify literally any army fighting any other army, at most some of the edge cases are "tragic misunderstanding"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Eej posted:

10th edition explicitly broke any requirements for colour schemes to match chapters so go hog wild. If you paint Black Templar Crusader Squads in Ultramarine colours feel free to collect the tears.

Breaking “canon” requirements is an objectively good thing, but how did 10th Ed do it? I don’t know 10th at all.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Xenomrph posted:

Breaking “canon” requirements is an objectively good thing, but how did 10th Ed do it? I don’t know 10th at all.

I only know 10th edition, and there are no rules saying anything about colours related to detachment rules at all.

One of my opponents was uncertain about whether my Custodes model were the official ones. Possibly he was used to them always being golden (mine are dark steel, as seen above), possibly because he was looking at my Allarus.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shockeh posted:

* The Black Legion warband comprised of a Sorceror and his retinue of carefully looted Rubrics over the last 10,000 years

this literally happens in the Black Legion books too

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

this literally happens in the Black Legion books too

In tabletop terms would that be Rubric Marines who happen to be painted black but function as Rubric Marines, or Black Legion Astartes who happen to visually use Rubric armor?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Probably more confusing in the case of chaos space marines as you can actually include rubric marines in the army as themselves.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Xenomrph posted:

There's no longer stuff like special rules for "Salamanders" or "Imperial Fists" but "Firestorm Assault Force" or "Anvil Siege Force." Some of the more offbeat legions still have their own named lists, like Black Templars or Thousand Sons though

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Black Legion, by ADB posted:

It had been Ashur-Kai’s personal preference to have his slaves artfully paint his automata guardians in the traditional Tizcan red of the Thousand Sons from before the rebellion. Their shoulder guards showed their true allegiance, however, cast in the black and gold of our new Legion. It was a striking image, and I had always wondered as to the spiritual significance behind the gesture. Far more commonly, our sorcerers left their Rubricae in the blue of the Thousand Sons, marking with them a single Black Legion pauldron, or they recast them entirely in the black and gold worn by all other warriors beneath our banner. I favoured the latter. In certain lights, you could see the warp-wrought blue of the Thousand Sons turbulent beneath the surface of the black, as though trying to stain its way back into being.

Black Legion, by ADB posted:

Once it was done, I scoured his Rubricae. Bathing them in psychic flame, I burned the blue from their armour plating and withered their tabards and loincloths to charred remnants, repainting all fourteen ceramite husks through sacred incineration. Once stripped of their former colours, the pack of voiceless, mindless warriors fell into dignified lockstep with the four Rubricae already attending me.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Special rules used to be tied to sub factions. So if you wanted to play as the flamer space Marines you used the rules for Salamanders.

Now the flamer space marine rules are just a detachment called Fyrepyre Purge Platoon or something with no reference to a specific chapter.

Granted people used to use whatever subfaction rules they wanted regardless of what their army was painted like, especially if you played armies that nobody knows the subfaction color schemes for, but it's good to essentially have it in writing from GW that your color scheme has absolutely no bearing on rules anymore.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

when you get some 2nd hand miniatures and slap a coat of paint on top but don't do a particularly good job.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
If your army paintjob doesn't match the lore of your rules, just say it was warp fuckery. That's why all my Black Templars will have Deathwatch shoulder pads. Death Templars.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

I really need to label my bits, because I have one that hits those muzzle brake holes perfectly but I can never remember which one

1mm.

I use 1mm for both the sides and front and because it's a space gun I follow up with a milling bit to make the barrel extra big.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd have to check the one I use but it's like either 1mm or even a 1,2mm or something like that.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

How many marines on average are used for astartes and CSM lists?

My MKIII box arrived from ebay so I finally have 30x lads total.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'd say about 40ish models when you include vehicles in a 2000 point list.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
My Fists number 37 bros and 4 vehicles

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
My list has an even 8 dreadnoughts and 8 marines

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Question regarding "Artillery and Crew" tagged models, specifically in regards to the 9th edition Heavy Mortar Batteries / Heavy Quad Launcher Batteries.

It says "Each [unit] and its crew are treated as a single model for all rules purposes (crew models must remain within 1" of their Heavy Mortar model)". Also it says that the arty pieces themselves "use model" as a base. Can I still put the arty piece on a base and have the crew members on the base as well, or do they have to remain separate?

Also the guys I'm playing with are still doing 9th since its two newbs (me and another), a returning player, a 20 year player who seems to be disgruntled by the flattening of options done by 10th. Like the wargear making everything samey and getting in the way of unique armies and all that. I have no horse in the race considering I've only played one game so far.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
As new players you'd be a lot better served by learning how to play 10th instead of letting a grognard with an axe to grind dictate you play an old edition

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I know I just posted this in the kitbash thread but I decided Egyptian rubrics were too ugly so I am working on this instead. They are just made of fire

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Magnus is going to be on Ahrimans rear end once he hears of this new rubric.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Demilich posted:

How many marines on average are used for astartes and CSM lists?

My MKIII box arrived from ebay so I finally have 30x lads total.

CSM lists generally don't run a lot of the standard Legionaries. My current CSM list is 5 regular legionaries, 10 Chosen, 5 chosen, 10 terminators.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cease to Hope posted:

I know I just posted this in the kitbash thread but I decided Egyptian rubrics were too ugly so I am working on this instead. They are just made of fire

I would be very interested to see how that turns out when painted.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Caring about colour schemes is extra dumb for marines bc you can literally paint them however you like and say they’re a splinter warband/successor chapter. Making your own dudes is half the reason they invented the whole “more chapters than anyone can list” poo poo in the lore. Same for guard regiments, tau septs, even the named craft worlds are only the most famous

My B/A are white and red, lol at anyone in any edition who’d say “no that’s white scars, sorry mate”

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wrr posted:

Question regarding "Artillery and Crew" tagged models, specifically in regards to the 9th edition Heavy Mortar Batteries / Heavy Quad Launcher Batteries.

It says "Each [unit] and its crew are treated as a single model for all rules purposes (crew models must remain within 1" of their Heavy Mortar model)". Also it says that the arty pieces themselves "use model" as a base. Can I still put the arty piece on a base and have the crew members on the base as well, or do they have to remain separate?

Also the guys I'm playing with are still doing 9th since its two newbs (me and another), a returning player, a 20 year player who seems to be disgruntled by the flattening of options done by 10th. Like the wargear making everything samey and getting in the way of unique armies and all that. I have no horse in the race considering I've only played one game so far.

So I read the full rules for the Heavy Mortar Batteries,

"Artillery and Crew: Each Heavy Mortar and its crew are treated as a single model for all rules purposes (crew models must remain within 1" of their Heavy Mortar model). This means that the crew models cannot be targeted or attacked separately and that visibility and all ranges are measured to and from the Heavy Mortar's model, not the crew models. This unit cannot Advance, is never eligible to charge or Heroically Intervene, and cannot make pile-in or consolidation moves."

So, yes, you could base the Mortar itself and put the crew on the base. You would just have to remember that you are measuring everything from the model and not the base.

9th edition does have some advantages over 10th for people who enjoy the customization aspect of an army and having wargear have points cost. It was a very good edition, so I don't think it is an issue to play 9th edition if the people you like to play with are playing that. The biggest disadvantage with 9th might be that it may not be balanced as they didn't really worry about balance for the last few releases of 9th as they were more concerned about the 10th edition meta. But if you are all just playing to have fun it probably is better than 10th, especially if you are going to be playing a lot, you can pick up the 9th edition data cards and accessories super cheap.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

I know it's fire, but my eyes read it as fingers in the stereotypical Italian pose. "That's a spicy warpball!"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Well poo poo, I guess I am back to playing Warhammer 40K Battlesector again https://store.steampowered.com/app/2583910/Warhammer_40000_Battlesector__Tau/

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

The pig is a huge fat pig.
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Well poo poo, I guess I am back to playing Warhammer 40K Battlesector again https://store.steampowered.com/app/2583910/Warhammer_40000_Battlesector__Tau/

Wow, I didn't even know this game existed. Is this XCOM 40K? Is it good?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

My problem with Battlesector was how simplistic/shallow it felt. If you want 40k XCOM, you want Chaos Gate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pungent Mammy posted:

Wow, I didn't even know this game existed. Is this XCOM 40K? Is it good?

It more like tries to replicate the table top game, but is a lot more simplified? Someone who is way more knowledgeable than I am about actually playing WH40 (and not just painting the miniatures) will have to comment on that. Its not really like X-Com though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah Chaos Gate s extremely 40k XCOM, from the tactical map to the base building. It’s exclusively playable Grey Knights though, so I guess ymmv if you want a specific faction

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah Chaos Gate s extremely 40k XCOM, from the tactical map to the base building. It’s exclusively playable Grey Knights though, so I guess ymmv if you want a specific faction

Yeah, a Warhammer 40K video game that represents all of the factions, and fan favorite units, doesn't really exist. Battlesector is slowly getting there, and I think it's the intent of the devs to eventually get there or at least as close as possible.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

I said come in! posted:

I loved the campaign but the DLC factions aren't worth it imo because you can only use them in the lame non-story mode battles.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mechanicus is also an excellent XCOM-like, but with a little more character customization instead of base building

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Nthing Mechanicus and Chaos Gate as good 40k XCom games if you are looking for that.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Mechanicus I always had trouble putting into the X-Com box because of how little RNG it has. It feels more like a puzzle game at times. A puzzle game where you make your robot men shoot other robots, mind.

Chaos Gate, however, is a real loving solid X-com-like.

Also I quite liked Battlesector but yeah the campaign is very Blood Angels-centric.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I just can't get over the idea that a couple chaos cultists with laspistols are supposed to be able to kill a grey knight.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Hey guys. I am currently painting up about 1000 pts of Blood Angels. Could someone explain to me how the gently caress the heraldry works? I have read all the official stuff in the codex and several reddit posts and there is no loving straight answer. Does it even matter?

Is there any 'i dont give a gently caress, just tell me what color to paint each units knee and shoulder pads, and what transfers to put on' guide out there?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Science_enthusiast posted:

Hey guys. I am currently painting up about 1000 pts of Blood Angels. Could someone explain to me how the gently caress the heraldry works? I have read all the official stuff in the codex and several reddit posts and there is no loving straight answer. Does it even matter?

Is there any 'i dont give a gently caress, just tell me what color to paint each units knee and shoulder pads, and what transfers to put on' guide out there?

There've been a few guides published in older codices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Sherbert Hoover posted:

There've been a few guides published in older codices.

Thanks but this is what i mean, they sort of contradict eachother. Like does it matter what company/ squad each unit is? (Outside of death company)

Science_enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 15, 2024