Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Nate once posted in this very thread but hasn't been seen for a long time

Please come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
He used to NPC for the large larp I help to write, really stand-up guy. I mainly knew him on Twitter for years and didn't realise it was the same guy I knew from larp!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Phenotype posted:

So I've read my first Warhammer books! Fun stuff, if a little schlocky. Read the first Eisenhorn trilogy (very good) and the first Cain anthology (not as well-written but I think the character is more fun) as well as starting on the Eisenhorn Magos book, which has kinda sucked so far, most of it is short stories that don't actually have Eisenhorn in them.

What else should I try? What are the better series? I'd like more Cain novels but as far as I can tell they're all out of print and overpriced. Do I just have to buy digital for most of it?

After Eisenhorn you could go to Ravenor, which follows his apprentice. The Magos takes place between those and the two Bequin books, Pariah and Penitent.

ADB's Black Legion books are pretty good, and the Priests/Forges/Gods of Mars trilogy by McNeil is pretty good.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Hey, finally got a shipping notification for those reprints of the Rogue Trader rulebook, I'd basically forgotten about that. Should be here next week.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Phenotype posted:

So I've read my first Warhammer books! Fun stuff, if a little schlocky. Read the first Eisenhorn trilogy (very good) and the first Cain anthology (not as well-written but I think the character is more fun) as well as starting on the Eisenhorn Magos book, which has kinda sucked so far, most of it is short stories that don't actually have Eisenhorn in them.

What else should I try? What are the better series? I'd like more Cain novels but as far as I can tell they're all out of print and overpriced. Do I just have to buy digital for most of it?

Always read Cain books as pallette clensers rather than bulldogging your way through them. THey're more about the characters bouncing off each other, so the plots kinda get samey until MUCH later.

If you're into the newer Necrons, Infinite and the Divine is basically a Comedy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A Divine Comedy?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Aaronicon posted:

Hey, finally got a shipping notification for those reprints of the Rogue Trader rulebook, I'd basically forgotten about that. Should be here next week.

Nice! I have a copy but haven't been able to scare up a group to play it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arc Hammer posted:

A Divine Comedy?

Infinitely so!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Calax posted:

Always read Cain books as pallette clensers rather than bulldogging your way through them. THey're more about the characters bouncing off each other, so the plots kinda get samey until MUCH later.

If you're into the newer Necrons, Infinite and the Divine is basically a Comedy.
Also if you want a bite sized dose of Trazyn/Orikan to see if that flavor of Warhammer is for you, don’t sleep on the short story “War in the Museum” by the same author.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Books I've enjoyed since I last posted in this thread:

Lords of silence
Bile trilogy
Gene father
Watchers duology
End and death all 3 parts
Requiem infernal (!!! Real good !!!)
Blindsight (not Warhammer. Sorry.)

I've done all the eisenhorns and ravenors and sequins, the night lords and ghosts... I think next is either this Black Legion trilogy or Saturnine.

Oh! I've also done ghaz, infinite and divine and twice dead king (both)

One question about end and death 3 : did Abaddon actually use demon powers or did Erebus use them for him. My understanding was that he was straight edge but that sideways move kind of implied otherwise ?

Serdain fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 14, 2024

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Serdain posted:

One question about end and death 3 : did Abaddon actually use demon powers or did Erebus use them for him. My understanding was that he was straight edge but that sideways move kind of implied otherwise ?

I asked the same and got no reply so I did some other reading and thinking and this is my take

Control not controlled - This is the start of him willing to use chaos as a tool instead of plain ignoring it. At this point he is ok with others using it for his own gain and I assume in Black Legion 3 we will see him use the powers offered himself.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/14/the-hand-of-abaddon-makes-a-move-in-the-penultimate-dawn-of-fire-novel/

With the Horus Heresy finally over, we can now focus on the other major event going on in the Warhammer universe.

By getting another Dawn of Fire book written by Nick Kyme. :v:

quote:

As the Indomitus Crusade rages on, Inquisitor Rostov discovers vital intelligence that could reveal the plan of the notorious Hand of Abaddon, and hastily gathers together those loyal to his cause. Defending the Anaxian Line, Ultramarines Lieutenant Ferren Areios uncovers a dread vision that has ties to the mission of an old ally. Meanwhile, Magda Kesh campaigns alongside the 84th Mordian. Though she refutes her fate as something more than a mere soldier, is she truly touched by the Emperor?

Despite a fractious alliance, the Hand’s scheme is reaching culmination. Amidst the infighting, Tharador Yheng yearns to be free of her master Tenebrus’ shadow and claim her destiny. But another acolyte has embarked on his own path, the Red Corsair Graeyl Herek. Both vie for the favour of the Dark Gods, and the means to harness an ancient evil that could reshape the war between the Imperium and Chaos.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Serdain posted:

notaspy posted:

Control not controlled - This is the start of him willing to use chaos as a tool instead of plain ignoring it. At this point he is ok with others using it for his own gain and I assume in Black Legion 3 we will see him use the powers offered himself.

His thing is that he won't personally accept the offered gifts. He saw how the attached strings ensnared Horus, and won't make the same mistake.

He'll leverage it, as demonstrated by allowing Erebus to do wizard poo poo, but he's going to keep a buffer between himself and the warp. To Abaddon, it's not "accepting a gift from Chaos," he's letting Erebus use his own damnation to assist the cause.

One thing that surprised me the most about this whole series was how beloved Horus was by everyone. His sons, brothers, the Emperor, the Old Four, everyone. And how he attempts to reciprocate that love, even to the end.

Horus's greatest crime was being loved too much.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

hm no I think it was all the murdering

Shroud
May 11, 2009

moths posted:

His thing is that he won't personally accept the offered gifts. He saw how the attached strings ensnared Horus, and won't make the same mistake.

He'll leverage it, as demonstrated by allowing Erebus to do wizard poo poo, but he's going to keep a buffer between himself and the warp. To Abaddon, it's not "accepting a gift from Chaos," he's letting Erebus use his own damnation to assist the cause.

One thing that surprised me the most about this whole series was how beloved Horus was by everyone. His sons, brothers, the Emperor, the Old Four, everyone. And how he attempts to reciprocate that love, even to the end.

I guess the real heresy was the friends we made along the way.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Everyone loved Sanguinius, not Horus. Horus was respected and admired, but not necessarily loved

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

moths posted:

Yeah, it's pretty neat and it's kind of unfortunate that the first few books of the Heresy are so rushed compared to the leisurely sprawl of the rest of the series, so we barely get to see Horus as the charisma-supernova that he's supposed to be. One of the better scenes in The Lost and the Damned is a brief one where a traitor Guardsman reflects on the time he saw Horus in person and was so awed that he immediately was willing to follow him into Hell itself, and subsequently does.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Everyone loved Sanguinius, not Horus. Horus was respected and admired, but not necessarily loved

I think they were both meant to inspire love but in different ways. Sanguinius is explicitly inhumanly perfect, a literal angel brought into reality, whereas Horus is meant to be the guy who can immediately step into the role of either your father figure or your best friend - despite the fact that as a primarch he isn't exactly human, he inspired a human kind of love and devotion, as opposed to what Sanguinius inspired.

But again this is my vague impression because the actual content about it is very scant. Outside of Horus Rising, there's some mentions in the Sanguinius primarch book, but it's not really explored in detail.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The charisma is Horus is in part also based on warp power and genetic resonance (not a real thing ) which is kind of hard to write

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like the Sons of Horus think he’s charismatic Becuase that’s how they were programmed

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

yeah there's numerous points where it talks about how Marine loyalty to their primarch is genetic, and so is Custodian loyalty to big E (but in a different and more comprehensively engineered way).

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Serdain posted:

Blindsight (not Warhammer. Sorry.)

This book is insanely pro-read, and I think there's enough thematic and genre overlap that any warhams fan is likely to appreciate it also

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Bohemian Nights posted:

This book is insanely pro-read, and I think there's enough thematic and genre overlap that any warhams fan is likely to appreciate it also

its one of my favorite books and I would extremely recommend it to anyone into scifi and/or cosmic horror stuff. Echopraxia, the sequel, is also very good.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Edit: lol nvm the nevermind.

I think you'll either love Blindsight or hate it, and if you hate it dont feel bad about putting the book down. Its somewhat polarizing.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 14, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Free read - https://rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Blindsight is very good scifi with some difficult to parse passages.

Id heard iffy things about the sequel but liked how many interesting ideas based on real studies the author worked into the setting in the first one so maybe I'll give it a read.

Who couldn't use more autistic space vampires in their life???

Thanks for the clarification re: Abaddon. I've always loved the idea that he's happy to reap the advantages of chaos but never personally give into it and was a bit miffed that they just threw that away... Control (indirectly) not controlled is so much more interesting of a line to draw.

I suppose it's a fine setup for letting you tear things down but the capricious Gods will make sure you can never build anything up unless they think it's funny.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
The 2nd one is great and has an absolutely brutal paragraph about believing in religion.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I agree with the goon hivemind, Blindsight is a fantastic book. Or at least I thought so when I read it back in 2010 or so.

I had to leave my signed copy of Blindsight behind during a move to a different country a decade ago, still a bit salty about that 😾

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed Rites of Passage and hope we get to hear more from the "too old for this poo poo" Navigator lady.

I also really liked the wraparound stories of Magos involving the fresh-out-of-college dude doing Teach for America, winding up stuck in Space Alabama, and ultimately making the best of it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abnett has spectacular imagination for every day humans.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

lines posted:

He used to NPC for the large larp I help to write, really stand-up guy. I mainly knew him on Twitter for years and didn't realise it was the same guy I knew from larp!

I've been trying to lure him back to NPC for years.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Abaddon is a great character as developed because he really shows the limits of chaos, its self-defeating nature and the kind of person it attracts. The one thing he could do that would defeat the imperium is the one thing he can never, by definition, do: unite the chaos powers behind him. They won’t ever let him accomplish his goal because then they have no leverage over him, and he won’t ever give in to them because then he’d never accomplish his goal. He’s a guy running on an endless treadmill chasing a carrot, and by this point he must know it, but he’s too stubborn to change course. He has forgotten how to be anything other than what he is.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've been trying to lure him back to NPC for years.

Not that all our NPC crew aren't great but he was really excellent. Glad his writing career is doing well though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I totally missed there are Votann in the new Dawn of Fire book.

Votann fans still having it rough when it comes to lore.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I have an idea floating about my brain about how the votann are the real inheritors of the golden age of humanity who are secretly pissed at The Imperium.

Back during the dark age everyone lived happily together, man and machine, but man's arrogance about the warp left the Men of Iron no choice but to go to war to protect the human species. Their major allies in this was the votann. After they lost the votann fled to the core with their robo biddies and baseline humans left them alone.

Several thousand years later 30k happens.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

From abandons pov defeating the imperium is wrong. TEATD 3 I though nicely illustrated this. He hosed up bigly. Thanks Erebus 🙏

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Grammarchist posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Rites of Passage and hope we get to hear more from the "too old for this poo poo" Navigator lady.

I also really liked the wraparound stories of Magos involving the fresh-out-of-college dude doing Teach for America, winding up stuck in Space Alabama, and ultimately making the best of it.

My dream novel is Navigator lady vs Trazyn/Orikan and/or a teamup of all three. It would be so perfect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

D-Pad posted:

My dream novel is Navigator lady vs Trazyn/Orikan and/or a teamup of all three. It would be so perfect.

I want a Trazyn book (or short story anthology) that’s just him and his servants committing increasingly elaborate and insane heists to steal random poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cooked Auto posted:

I totally missed there are Votann in the new Dawn of Fire book.

Votann fans still having it rough when it comes to lore.

Oh poo poo, Rostov and Votann? Book Of The Year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Xenomrph posted:

I want a Trazyn book (or short story anthology) that’s just him and his servants committing increasingly elaborate and insane heists to steal random poo poo.

Trazyn attempts to steal the Emperor. Just one madman running like hell through the Imperial palace as the entire Custodes force loses their collective poo poo.
Edit: At the end Trazyn can figure out what the Emperor is preventing and just leave cursing because taking the Emperor would ruin all the other stuff he wants to steal like the astronomican.