Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lord fifth posted:

offer get :cheers:

i will tolerate san diego
:woop:

san diego has cost of living equivalent to the bay area, los angeles, or nyc. make sure your compensation matches sf/la/ny numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

san diego or la jolla

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

lord fifth posted:

parts of SD are really nice imo

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
old coworker reached out after thinking of me for a ux role that’s opening hasn’t even been posted externally so yay maybe actually have job soon

also 100% remote

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

maybe actually have job soon

feelin real mixed emotions here

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Quackles posted:

Once, I submitted an application to a company that had a bit of a former startup vibe. For reference, I was just coming off a Master's in Compsci, with some minor work experience.

Their first email back, apart from the automated stuff, was them saying, "We're sorry, but we don't think you have experience for the Intermediate Developer position, but we'd interview you for a Junior Developer position." You know, the one you give someone fresh out of their first degree.
I was not too happy about this, but I did need a job, so I resolved to go see what all the fuss was about.

I ended up sitting down with a few important people, including the company founder, who was a young guy. He said to me, "I don't think your Master's degree's worth anything, because I'm not educated myself."

Apart from that, the interview went vaguely OK. On the way out of the building, I noticed a photo hung up in pride of place in the lobby: it was a Christmas photo of the office team... dressed up as a happy family, with one person in costume as the family dog.

Thankfully, I did not get the job.

i ran into a variation of this once where apparently the only information the recruiter extracted from my entire resume was my latest graduation date. they concluded that i had only two years of work experience because they just skipped right over the big block of time between my bs and my ms.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

rotor posted:

feelin real mixed emotions here

im at the bottom of the hiring coaster now, recovering after two no’s in a week, so I’ll be skeptical until I see an offer.

there could be also a lot of dealbreakers from either side

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Just finished a tech screen. I think I did okay (at one point the interviewer even said "yeah that's the answer I was looking for"). There were two questions, the first building off of the second. The only unexpected thing was that after each question, the interviewer also asked me what the time & space complexity of my solution. I don't know that I got that exactly right, but I'm pretty sure I was close enough.

Now I'm gonna take all this extra adrenaline, hit the gym, and deadlift the pain away.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

lord fifth posted:

:yotj:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

NO! bad intern!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lord fifth posted:

congratudolences

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lord fifth posted:

:toot: welcome to hell, kid

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lord fifth posted:

congrats! kicking myself that i didn't predict it, because i think a lot of the interviews one crushes one comes away thinking "that was some bullshit, im hosed"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

congrats! kicking myself that i didn't predict it, because i think a lot of the interviews one crushes one comes away thinking "that was some bullshit, im hosed"
it seems to a corollary to the rule that if an interview suddenly shifts into easy mode, that means you blew it - if they keep hammering away at you on tech issues, that means they are impressed enough with your tech skills that theyre curious to see how far they extend

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
thanks to everyone congratulating me on having to WORK

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i stack figgies to take yearlong vacations. you can, too, if you stack em and stay a cheap bastard

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i stack figgies to take yearlong vacations. you can, too, if you stack em and stay a cheap bastard

:hellyeah:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

san deez sounds rad, grats on getting a job in a warm figgieland

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

same

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Interviewing with apple again.

During introductions Interviewer went "before apple I was living in Slovakia where are you from? " I answered and thought nothing of it. After the interview my wife asked why I mentioned where I was from and said that question is an issue.

I don't know what to do about this. I feel like it would lead to problems for me but maybe it would stop that from happening in the future.

edit: i'm afro latino and not white passing.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

as someone who moved around a lot, you can just say youre from anywhere. pick somewhere really boring like san jose to ensure no follow up questions.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
just wanna follow up from last month that the equity compensation was not relative to the employee pool, but rather total stake. i turned it down because the offer was not competitive and i have personal poo poo that's gonna make job hopping a bad idea before the summer. founder was amicable and I have a verbal offer to join them when i do start looking again

i also picked up a copy of venture deals and will read it before i start interviewing in earnest. thanks goons.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

as someone who moved around a lot, you can just say youre from anywhere. pick somewhere really boring like san jose to ensure no follow up questions.

waxahatchie texas, catwater georgia or tucumcari new mexico are my gotos

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

post hole digger posted:

ohio

no one will ever ask why you left

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

while they absolutely should not be asking where you're from, you don't get anything for objecting, and there's some potential downside. you can and should object if a colleague is doing that somewhere that you already work but as a candidate it's not worth it imo.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm ignorant and don't understand why talking about where you're from is frowned upon

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm ignorant and don't understand why talking about where you're from is frowned upon

citizenship discrimination

i got an ostentatiously foreign name so i also have up by the contact section in my resume "US Citizen", a fact which is radioactively illegal to ask for on the employer's side. what's allowed is "do you need work visa stuff"

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 16, 2024

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

race is also a protected category so it is a major hr no-no

(white people are never asked where they’re from in this context)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

rotor posted:

waxahatchie texas

ah, the gingerbread city

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
it could just be small talk to find common ground, shared experiences

I’ve been asked this tons of times in interviews and I have a very common US name and am a white dude who could be from anywhere in the US

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

in a well actually posted:

ohio

no one will ever ask why you left

ohio is a solid conversation terminator

i thought kentucky would be similar, but that just leads to "but you don't sound like you're from kentucky"

bitch, what the gently caress do you know about kentucky accents beyond what you saw on justified

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You always run the risk of running into someone who left Ohio and wants to talk about it though.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

where are you from?

ohio

yes hello, but where are you from?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

You always run the risk of running into someone who left Ohio and wants to talk about it though.

i'm pretty sure that just makes them want to talk about it even less

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i have to tell my boss yes or no on a possible new developer hire and i have no idea wtf im doing lol. i work at a small lovely agency as lead web developer when in realty i applied as junior developer but the lead dev quit before i arrived so its just me (the first few month here were a joy since nothing was documented.) the work flow at this place is a dumpster fire where barely anything gets tracked. how the gently caress does the boss/owner expect me to relegate tasks is beyond me when he can barely tie his shoes. i have no idea if this new dev is legit but im just thinking gently caress it and let chips fall where they may. i know i should get out of here but the job market is poo poo.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

it could just be small talk to find common ground, shared experiences

I’ve been asked this tons of times in interviews and I have a very common US name and am a white dude who could be from anywhere in the US

it could be small talk but it can pivot in ways that give hr nightmares

eg if you tell them where you’re from (Ohio or whatever) and they follow up with where are you originally from?

i wonder why an executive at a defense contractor startup would have had a different experience with this question than a rando software developer

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

RadiRoot posted:

i have to tell my boss yes or no on a possible new developer hire and i have no idea wtf im doing lol. i work at a small lovely agency as lead web developer when in realty i applied as junior developer but the lead dev quit before i arrived so its just me (the first few month here were a joy since nothing was documented.) the work flow at this place is a dumpster fire where barely anything gets tracked. how the gently caress does the boss/owner expect me to relegate tasks is beyond me when he can barely tie his shoes. i have no idea if this new dev is legit but im just thinking gently caress it and let chips fall where they may. i know i should get out of here but the job market is poo poo.

I mean hey at least it could be a cv padder

and getting to pick your coworkers/reports is always nice

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Truman Peyote posted:

while they absolutely should not be asking where you're from, you don't get anything for objecting, and there's some potential downside. you can and should object if a colleague is doing that somewhere that you already work but as a candidate it's not worth it imo.

those were my thoughts as well. mention it in a friendly way if they become my coworker.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

RadiRoot posted:

sounds like this is what the previous lead did to get out and now it’s your turn lol

also that sounds like my previous job, glad i left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

ah, the gingerbread city

i just know about it because of the cardboard factory