Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CzarChasm posted:

I'm assuming his wig from No Country is number 1. What's #2?

his hair in the james bond movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Split the difference and make the FF origin set in the same grungy, weirdo 80's that Buckaroo Banzai and The Fly operate in.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
A "Silver Age" MCU feels fresh to me. This is the third time they've pulled a "We got this super powerful hero who was missing for decades back just in time to fight the big bad" though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Inkspot posted:

Split the difference and make the FF origin set in the same grungy, weirdo 80's that Buckaroo Banzai and The Fly operate in.

Have it be joint directed by Richter and Cronenberg for maximum effect.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Please god stop trying to make me care about the 60s, I am so tired of the boomers fake made up decade that Rolling Stone invented to sell them nostalgia

I mean the '60s is one of the more newsworthy decades in American History for a bunch of both good and bad reasons. It's not some con that people are trying to sell you. But the space race is likely the reason for it in this specific instance.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I'd prefer it to not be set in the 60s but whatever

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Xenomrph posted:

Have it be joint directed by Richter and Cronenberg for maximum effect.

Raimi already has his W2 on file so...

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah I'd prefer it to not be set in the 60s but whatever

But now they can bring Tommy Lee Jones back.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Inkspot posted:

Raimi already has his W2 on file so...

Nah I want a full on Cronenberg off-the-wall body horror MCU movie. ‘Captain America 5: WTF’

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

I mean the '60s is one of the more newsworthy decades in American History for a bunch of both good and bad reasons. It's not some con that people are trying to sell you. But the space race is likely the reason for it in this specific instance.
people are trying to do privatized spaceflight right now and there'd be even more call for it in an MCU where Earth is in regular contact with multiple alien races grrarrrrgh

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

people are trying to do privatized spaceflight right now and there'd be even more call for it in an MCU where Earth is in regular contact with multiple alien races grrarrrrgh

tbf the 616 has been in contact with aliens for 80 years and still doesn't have anything on the moon even

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

So make Elon Musk the hero of the movie?

Seems like there'd be less need for space exploration in the MCU given that the Asgardians are space gods and live in Norway. Just ask them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

That genuinely sounds like you want Reed Richards to be Elon Musk.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CapnAndy posted:

Lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The movies have definitely ignored a lot of events in the universe besides the Snap. The whole Celestial coming out of the ocean thing, the fact that apparently we have had a large SWORD space station in orbit for some time, the fact that there is interstellar travel going on near Earth and nobody seems to mention this...

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The movies have definitely ignored a lot of events in the universe besides the Snap. The whole Celestial coming out of the ocean thing, the fact that apparently we have had a large SWORD space station in orbit for some time, the fact that there is interstellar travel going on near Earth and nobody seems to mention this...

616 Earthlings seem to be going with the flow. Rachel McAdams' husband got excited about Dr. Strange fighting a huge eyeball monster.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
hey gang, i regret to inform you that madam web is good actually.

I just got back and it was actually pretty fun, it's quick, good pacing, Johnson kills it as a woman who has no time for anyone's bullshit, and the spidergirls all have distinct personalities and play well off each other. I'm actually upset they don't have more screentime and that we'll never get a sequel with them.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Xenomrph posted:

Nah I want a full on Cronenberg off-the-wall body horror MCU movie. ‘Captain America 5: WTF’

Unreasonable given the history, but fair.

site posted:

tbf the 616 has been in contact with aliens for 80 years and still doesn't have anything on the moon even

Some of the X-Men live there. And the Inhumans. But also some of the X-Men live there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ImpAtom posted:

That genuinely sounds like you want Reed Richards to be Elon Musk.
I suppose I'll cop to wanting him to be what Elon Musk thinks Elon Musk is -- a young, arrogant, omni-competent super-genius devoted to improving the world with his copious inventions that he actually comes up with himself.

But I also want that to be an accurate descriptor of the man and for him to be a fundamentally good person who loves his family and accepts them for who they are, so y'know, not a perfect comparison.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Inkspot posted:

Some of the X-Men live there. And the Inhumans. But also some of the X-Men live there.

Uatu lived there forever until Nick Fury took over. Now Uatu is back.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Inkspot posted:

well,

they used to

fake edit: i figured from context clues people would get i was talking about humanity at large, i guess not tho

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’d prefer the period piece because the classic FF fit the aesthetic, and I’m tired of the modern world anyways.

How’s Alex Ross doing today?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elon Musk is already MCU canon.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Celestial almost kind of accidentally works, because of the 7 movies since Eternals only 2 take place primarily on Earth and one is No Way Home where Sony don't really care as much about Marvel's overarching plots.

It does feel like Namor would have something to say about the giant corpse in his ocean though.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Thanks thread. Now I hate this movie that hasn’t even been made yet.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Soonmot posted:

I just got back and it was actually pretty fun, it's quick, good pacing, Johnson kills it as a woman who has no time for anyone's bullshit, and the spidergirls all have distinct personalities and play well off each other. I'm actually upset they don't have more screentime and that we'll never get a sequel with them.

You have pretty uhh "charitable" taste though, king. I say this with love, but I know the kind of TV you watch. I know the kind of hot dog monstrosities you cook. I'm going to need a few more reads on this before I believe it.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Soonmot posted:

Fess up. How much is Sony paying you to post here?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And why are you drinking a Pepsi?!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Xenomrph posted:

Wasn't that kinda the pitch for Fant4stic? I feel like I remember them talking about that. Not that I think it actually did that ultimately? I never saw it and nobody really talks about it any more.

I like the idea of the new movie being very '60s. I wish more movies would go for different retro-futuristic takes. Give me weird, grimy '80s poo poo and goofy psychedelic '70s crap and noir-ish '30s bullshit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Aphrodite posted:

And why are you drinking a Pepsi?!

Because it's the crisp refreshing taste of the new generation. Pepsi: That's what I like!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

catlord posted:

Wasn't that kinda the pitch for Fant4stic? I feel like I remember them talking about that. Not that I think it actually did that ultimately? I never saw it and nobody really talks about it any more.

When they first gain their powers there's a big explosion and everyone is down. Reed crawls towards Ben and realizes that his legs haven't moved at all and he's just stretching.

That's it. That's the one moment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's kind of the same problem with the comics too where a world with comic book super science would pretty quickly not look anything like ours.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’d prefer the period piece because the classic FF fit the aesthetic, and I’m tired of the modern world anyways.

How’s Alex Ross doing today?

Alex Ross is drawing awesome covers is how he's doing.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It would ruled if the movie was like the current comics run, it's really fun wholesome scifi stories.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I am aware but I am so, so so tired of it.

Yeah I feel like I wished on a monkey's paw for more wild comic stuff and this is the price I'm paying

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SlimGoodbody posted:

You have pretty uhh "charitable" taste though, king. I say this with love, but I know the kind of TV you watch. I know the kind of hot dog monstrosities you cook. I'm going to need a few more reads on this before I believe it.

hey, i haven't made fancy hotdogs since before my heart surgery and I usually said that they were terrible before trying to do it again lol

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Because it's the crisp refreshing taste of the new generation. Pepsi: That's what I like!

This is a pepsi hosuehold!

Like this isn't morbious. That had the dancing scene, which was wonderful and then literally nothing else interesting in the entire film. I left this film not having felt like I wasted my time and I'll grab the bluray when it drops.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Codependent Poster posted:

Alex Ross is drawing awesome covers is how he's doing.

I know. I just wonder how he feels about the Fantastic Four casting. He'd be one of the first people I'd want to consult on a FF movie.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

If it's like Captain Marvel the 60's aesthetic will just be no cell phones used and few Beach Boys songs on the soundtrack.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

I know. I just wonder how he feels about the Fantastic Four casting. He'd be one of the first people I'd want to consult on a FF movie.

Better him than John Byrne

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

duck trucker posted:

If it's like Captain Marvel the 60's aesthetic will just be no cell phones used and few Beach Boys songs on the soundtrack.

Did you miss the incredibly on point joke about waiting for a cd rom to load? That was the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

duck trucker posted:

The Fantastic Four must stop Mike Love