Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait, you stop pushing buttons sometimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

spiritual bypass posted:

Wait, you stop pushing buttons sometimes?

Sicko poo poo

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Man, since I hit the yellow ranks I'm getting a whole ton more one and dones. I guess being able to lose points is probably to blame for that. Over halfway through yellows though :toot:

I fought a Victor for the first time, but when I didn't press buttons on him he sorta ran out of ideas and then just started to back up and try to tag me with an armored move on the way in. It didn't really work since I'd just go low to poke him out of it, but I should check to see if/how punishable it is :hmmyes:

If it was a knife to the face (not in stance) then it was high and safe, lows were a good idea; you can also use throws or duck and launch.

Simple rule for PCs: if high they are safe, if mid they are -12 to -14 (unless you trigger the armor before blocking, then they become safe). I'd recommend not worrying about it and lock in your i12 punish (unless it sucks). This is nice because it locks in a whole range of moves: hopkicks are pretty much always -13 (few people have an interesting i13 punish), and unsafe df2s (slightly over half of them) are generally -12. So that's 3 common move archetypes you can share a punish for to reduce your cognitive load.

i12 punishes are also the top tip for quick whiff punishes following a backdash or sidestep if you are playing conservatively. DF2s are the wow-combo button, but the extra speed on the i12 is way more consistent when reacting to quicker recovery moves. This does get highly dependent on the character of course, some i12s kinda suck and some characters have amazing alternatives.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 15, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

If it was a knife to the face (not in stance) then it was high and safe, lows were a good idea; you can also use throws or duck and launch.

Simple rule for PCs: if high they are safe, if mid they are -12 to -14 (unless you trigger the armor before blocking, then they become safe). I'd recommend not worrying about it and lock in your i12 punish (unless it sucks). This is nice because it locks in a whole range of moves: hopkicks are pretty much always -13 (few people have an interesting i13 punish), and unsafe df2s (slightly over half of them) are generally -12. So that's 3 common moves archetypes you can share a punish for to reduce your cognitive load.

i12 punishes are also the top tip for quick whiff punishes following a backdash or sidestep if you are playing conservatively. DF2s are the wow-combo button, but the extra speed on the i12 is way more consistent when reacting to quicker recovery moves. This does get highly dependent on the character of course, some i12s kinda suck and some characters have amazing alternatives.

I'll have to double check, iirc he was holding a knife and I believe I ducked it, so it was probably the safe one then! I just hit him out of it because I wasn't sure and he would do it super consistently so it was free damage. I'll check the replay and see if I could've launched it though, would be good to know!

Edit: for hop kick combos for Lili I've been liking uf3 > df2 > d1,2 > b1~f,3 T! > Into whatever ender. You can't do ff3~f1,4 though, have to do the DG3 in that case unless you heat smash or something

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 15, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lee is kicking me and i dont know wtf

Orv
May 4, 2011
I recommend not being kicked, for starters

(I don’t have actually useful info though, Lee players are usually terrifying)

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Orv posted:

I recommend not being kicked, for starters

(I don’t have actually useful info though, Lee players are usually terrifying eEXcellent~!)

Lee rules, I'm going to do this every time he gets mentioned.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’ll allow it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When he kicks me 4 times in the legs the last hit pops me up no matter how i block the string unless im missing something.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Lee is a hard character to use, so usually when you bump into Lees they've got a bit more knowledge and execution than you'd expect for their rank.

I was fighting Dragunovs all night, I guess that video posted earlier is to blame. I feel real bad about my last match because my connection to the Tekken 8 servers cut right as he landed a rage art when we were both down to nearly dead in the 5th round of the 3rd set. It was ggs guy I swear I wasn't raging :(

That's the 2nd time my connection to the Tekken 8 server cut tonight so I think I'll just stay offline to avoid further embarrassment. God dammit there's no way that looked like a fluke.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Real hurthling! posted:

When he kicks me 4 times in the legs the last hit pops me up no matter how i block the string unless im missing something.

actually at the legs (a low)? He has a move with 5 rapid kicks and then a finishing kick and theres a big delay between the fast initial 5 and the last one which catches new people out. F3,3,3,3,3,4

Also to any feng players, his u2 is fun to use. You have to have the space and time but its a fun move and on hit gives you a free 1,2,2 follow up and the window you get from it hitting to the follow up is super big to the point you really cant gently caress it up.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 15, 2024

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

This game is incredibly frustrating. I'm just trying to learn and it feels impossible as I am just getting mad. Like blocking and doing 1,2 to try and get a turn is getting more nowhere. I've gone into replays and the punishment training mode.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

This game is incredibly frustrating. I'm just trying to learn and it feels impossible as I am just getting mad. Like blocking and doing 1,2 to try and get a turn is getting more nowhere. I've gone into replays and the punishment training mode.

Who are you playing?

Also I can't remember, can you share replays by ID in T8? Especially with replay takeover it could be really helpful!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

are they ducking under your 1,2?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm playing Asuka and no they are not ducking.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Lee is kicking me and i dont know wtf

This but Hworang.

Autsj posted:

Simple rule for PCs: if high they are safe, if mid they are -12 to -14 (unless you trigger the armor before blocking, then they become safe). I'd recommend not worrying about it and lock in your i12 punish (unless it sucks). This is nice because it locks in a whole range of moves: hopkicks are pretty much always -13 (few people have an interesting i13 punish), and unsafe df2s (slightly over half of them) are generally -12. So that's 3 common move archetypes you can share a punish for to reduce your cognitive load.

Thanks for the consistently high quality posting. This type of thing is so dope.

Seltzer posted:

actually at the legs (a low)? He has a move with 5 rapid kicks and then a finishing kick and theres a big delay between the fast initial 5 and the last one which catches new people out. F3,3,3,3,3,4

Also to any feng players, his u2 is fun to use. You have to have the space and time but its a fun move and on hit gives you a free 1,2,2 follow up and the window you get from it hitting to the follow up is super big to the point you really cant gently caress it up.

Maybe irrational but I'm scared to use any move that has me jumping outside of a hop kick for fear of getting hit. I'll mess with this though. There's a real lack of good Feng content out there right now. Games new obviously. I could look at older stuff and try to carry over the legacy things but I don't know enough to distinguish between things that are outdated and not. And honestly it has been a lot of fun, when I'm not getting mashed to strings I don't know, to just kinda Frankenstein my own janky strategy together based on what I know of other fighters and what I'm learning by doing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Are you sure you have 10 frames to punish with when you try it?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I think ironically it's probably harder to get your turn in the lower ranks, where people tend to just mash buttons a lot. A frame trap would be a good way to teach them, but it can be hard to get even those out if they're mashing.

Maybe some nice high crushing moves? If they're beating you to the punch it's got to be with a high attack. Or just grab them, nothing wrong with turning it into a wrestling match.

unattended spaghetti posted:

This but Hworang.

Thanks for the consistently high quality posting. This type of thing is so dope.

Maybe irrational but I'm scared to use any move that has me jumping outside of a hop kick for fear of getting hit. I'll mess with this though. There's a real lack of good Feng content out there right now. Games new obviously. I could look at older stuff and try to carry over the legacy things but I don't know enough to distinguish between things that are outdated and not. And honestly it has been a lot of fun, when I'm not getting mashed to strings I don't know, to just kinda Frankenstein my own janky strategy together based on what I know of other fighters and what I'm learning by doing.

Feng is pretty similar, so most of the old tech should work. Big changes are d1+2, 1 no longer launches, headbutt is no longer a frame trap +frames, his new b3 is a frame trap + frame (and pretty good one!), and now his stances have armored moves, particularly back turned 2. His f3,4 launcher now has a f3,2 to make it safe but high. I think his f4 also has a safe high mixup now.

Some simple old Feng stuff that still works: your sidestep sweep can be mixed up with df3 mid safe launcher. Really nice mixup for only having to sidestep!
df2,2 or 1,3 or df 4,3 or really most safe but negative moves followed by any one of his parries is a good trap for aggressive players, particularly if they use jabs to take their turns back.
334 can be cancelled after the 33 to get a backturn. This is one of his more annoying strings so almost everyone expects the 4 and lets you backturn, and you'd be surprised how often it just plain catches people with the two high kicks, and they do a crazy amount of damage. f4 can also be used to enter backturn. You also get a free backturn after your 122 jabs, so basically you can get backturn mixups all over the place if you want. Also I just remembered his meter basically gives him free backturn mixups all day long with 3+4 lol. I'm not a huge fan of backturn mixups but they're so darn easy to get.

And if Hworang is kicking you too much just use b1 if you know there's a pause coming or uf2 if the b1s aren't working, it should stuff most of his options.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 15, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nice Van My Man posted:

I think ironically it's probably harder to get your turn in the lower ranks, where people tend to just mash buttons a lot. A frame trap would be a good way to teach them, but it can be hard to get even those out if they're mashing.

Lol that people are able to download other people's replays and see their inputs because wow

https://twitter.com/2dJazz/status/1757405343800349082

"Dude is mashing heat engager button bro" (without heat)
"He's mashing all four buttons!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That’s just how Tekken is meant to be played.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Does the way Azucena says "woohoo!" remind anyone else of the worms from Worms

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I don't play much Asuka, but I bet someone in the thread does. Look up a replay where you were feeling particularly frustrated and post it in the thread. I'm definitely going to do that next time I get completely destroyed if I'm stumped in the replay viewer

Since Asuka's 1 isn't plus OB I imagine you probably can't use it like other characters where you check them and make them want to duck more, especially at the very start of the ladder where everyone is just hitting buttons all the time though IDK where you are. Maybe look for some canned strings that go low, or something that lets you get a nice solid CH if they decide to push buttons?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Is Paul a difficult character to learn tekken with? For some reason his stuff is difficult for me to pull off. Can't put my finger on it. Any tips?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jeremor posted:

Is Paul a difficult character to learn tekken with? For some reason his stuff is difficult for me to pull off. Can't put my finger on it. Any tips?

Paul is wierd because he's incredibly easy to beat new players with, Gorilla damage and they don't understand how to deal with Death Fist yet, but to master him he has some decent timing challenges and his speed can be wierd on some moves.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Paul is a very good character to learn Tekken. What are you having trouble with?

The only difficult execution things he has are qcf1 in combos because that can't be buffered, and a few just frames.

If you're having trouble with qcf/qcb inputs in general, try holding down the final direction as you press the attack button. This doesn't really apply to Paul as much since his qcb/qcf are stances, but it might help.

e: To be clear you never need to do qcf1 in combos because it's only a minor damage increase, and the only just frame you "need" to be able to do it after ff2 and that's pretty generous.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Jeremor posted:

As mentioned above he's a motion input character so depending on your fighting game background he's either very easy or way more difficult than some of the others in the cast. He has a backsway out of qcb which is going to force you to backdash correctly as you improve otherwise you will get random backsways that you can be hit out of rather than proper backdashes. His actual bnb combos aren't high damage contrary to peoples perceptions of Paul as a Damage Machine but he gets a whole lot of damage out of guaranteed follow-ups, heat, and standalone strong buttons. If you feel the call of Paul stick with him and as you improve he's a very deep character you can stick with basically forever, any character you try to learn with is going to have some sort of hard thing so you might as well get through it with the character you like.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nazzadan posted:

As mentioned above he's a motion input character so depending on your fighting game background he's either very easy or way more difficult than some of the others in the cast. He has a backsway out of qcb which is going to force you to backdash correctly as you improve otherwise you will get random backsways that you can be hit out of rather than proper backdashes. His actual bnb combos aren't high damage contrary to peoples perceptions of Paul as a Damage Machine but he gets a whole lot of damage out of guaranteed follow-ups, heat, and standalone strong buttons. If you feel the call of Paul stick with him and as you improve he's a very deep character you can stick with basically forever, any character you try to learn with is going to have some sort of hard thing so you might as well get through it with the character you like.

Yeah I forgot to mention: Paul is a quarter circle guy so if you have played SF or something like it before it will be easier to adjust.

If you are playing on PS pad I notice myself that QCs in Tekken can get Wonky, sometimes I'll do an almost full half circle with Paul and stuff comes out more consistently.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 15, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

YeahI forgot to mention: Paul is a quarter circle guy so if you have played SF or something like it before it will be easier to adjust.

If you are playing on PS pad I notice myself that QCs in Tekken can get Wonky, sometimes I'll do an almost full half circle with Paul and stuff comes out more consistently.

I use a hori commander but I dont notice any difference doing QCFs in tekken or street fighter.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Pauls qcf is a stance which makes it different then a street fighter qcf in that you are doing the motion to go into the stance and then pushing the button to do the stance move.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I use a hori commander but I dont notice any difference doing QCFs in tekken or street fighter.

I've definitely noticed they're a little weird myself, but I couldn't tell you why. I think maybe the QCF window is just tighter or something?

If I'm not focusing on doing it clean and quick I've definitely had times where Lili just.. doesn't go into dew glide. I think it's because I'm holding down slightly too long as I start the QCF motion, which puts me into crouching state for just a second? :shrug:

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 15, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Is it normal that some moves only partially break light floors? They seem so intentionally one&done, or twice for hard floors, that finding outliers threw me off.

Alisa's DBT 1+2 in an air combo needs two uses to break floors, and DES uf1+2 needs three uses.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I've definitely noticed they're a little weird myself, but I couldn't tell you why. I think maybe the QCF window is just tighter or something?

If I'm not focusing on doing it clean and quick I've definitely had times where Lily just.. doesn't go into dew glide. I think it's because I'm holding down slightly too long as I start the QCF motion, which puts me into crouching state for just a second? :shrug:

I think SF is really generous at reading messed up inputs is the difference. I think I saw a video about it.

Pockyless posted:

Pauls qcf is a stance which makes it different then a street fighter qcf in that you are doing the motion to go into the stance and then pushing the button to do the stance move.

Also this, with a lot of qc stuff, the qc is the "move" then you press a move when in stance so it feels different. Raven and Feng's steps are the same way

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 15, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I think SF is really generous at reading messed up inputs is the difference. I think I saw a video about it.

For sure could be, I'm not the cleanest player in the world though I do play a lot of older fighting games. I've got no issues in CF or even earlier KOF games (minus the occasional buffered dp), but tekken's motion inputs have always felt a little strange since i started in 7

instant WS stuff has always given me trouble too

edit: though that being said, it's definitely a "me" problem and not a problem with the game. I just gotta do them a little cleaner and quicker to ensure I get it

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 15, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

If I'm not focusing on doing it clean and quick I've definitely had times where Lily just.. doesn't go into dew glide. I think it's because I'm holding down slightly too long as I start the QCF motion, which puts me into crouching state for just a second? :shrug:

I agree with this^

It feels like the qcf read is tighter

SF6 I feel even classic inputs are greatly relaxed

Yeah 7 gave me the QCF trouble as well.

I never have had an issue in older KOF, Darkstalkers, SF etc., but Tekken from 7 on the qcf I have to do the like roll slightly back roll forward motion to get it to come out consistently.

Could be the PS d pad tbh, have never really tried the ps stick before.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 15, 2024

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I want this thread to know that I fought a Steve and one round he opened with b1 and I swear I hit db1, and I still ate a counterhit and that makes me very mad

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

inthesto posted:

I want this thread to know that I fought a Steve and one round he opened with b1 and I swear I hit db1, and I still ate a counterhit and that makes me very mad

This, but Hwoarang

I must have fought this motherfucker over the years like 100s of times, but gently caress me sometimes those stupid kicks still catch me

And I really like Hwoarang as character too, but nothing gets me salter than his bullshit in Tekken.

Steve also can be annoying. He only needs a few solid hits to wreck your whole round.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Dunno if this matters for input discussion, but I’ve noticed that sometimes on PS5 pad, while doing a kbd, I’ll somehow end up getting a qcf input. I’m guessing it’s the pad though, because the PS5 one is on like a pivot from the middle and I think it can rock forward if you’re not careful. Have had to be especially mindful because of that.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Round start in Tekken is basically a quick time event if you are trying to mash a button right at the start and they are as well. If you and your opponent both mash jab as the round starts, it's more likely one of you will get it off faster than the other than it is for you to both trade with a same frame jab. You can't buffer a round start input so it just comes down to whoever comes closest to just framing right when the game starts accepting your inputs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I don't play much Asuka, but I bet someone in the thread does. Look up a replay where you were feeling particularly frustrated and post it in the thread. I'm definitely going to do that next time I get completely destroyed if I'm stumped in the replay viewer

On the art of reviewing replays, this is how I've been going about it, if there are any other aspects worth considering it would be cool to hear!

When a move blows me up:

1. Is that move unsafe and I could have just blocked and punished?
2. If the move is safe, can I duck or sidestep it?
3. What was the situation before? Did they use that move as a follow-up after the same one consistently? Does that move come out more at the wall, in heat, at low health?
4. Why did I get hit? Did I lose in neutral? Did I guess wrong in a mix up situation, or press when I was disadvantaged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On the art of reviewing replays, this is how I've been going about it, if there are any other aspects worth considering it would be cool to hear!

When a move blows me up:

1. Is that move unsafe and I could have just blocked and punished?
2. If the move is safe, can I duck or sidestep it?
3. What was the situation before? Did they use that move as a follow-up after the same one consistently? Does that move come out more at the wall, in heat, at low health?
4. Why did I get hit? Did I lose in neutral? Did I guess wrong in a mix up situation, or press when I was disadvantaged?

Quoting for reference. Thank you.