Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

omfg that bbc story is the starship troopers guy lol

quote:

quote:
Pavlo’s story

“I don’t get it. People are out and about, like the war is somewhere far away. But this is a full-scale invasion, and it’s like people still don’t care,” Pavlo says.

He is frustrated by what he sees as indifference.

“We need everyone to come together like they did on the first day. Everyone was united then, like brothers.”
Instead, the security service in Cherkasy is constantly shutting down local social media channels that warn people when the conscription teams are in town and alert them to areas to avoid.

At 24, Pavlo has sacrificed a lot for his country.
He grew up dreaming of being a soldier - his eyes light up when he remembers that - and he was serving in the army in February 2022 when Russian troops rolled across the border.

He fought near Kyiv, then Soledar in the eastern Donbas, where the battle was brutal. That first summer, he was moved to Bakhmut.

“We came under heavy fire. A shell landed next to me. I lost my whole elbow. There was nothing left,” he says, describing an attack in which he was badly injured.

He managed to crawl beneath a bush and he began to pray.

The soldier admits that getting to hospital was a huge relief: not just because he’d survived, but because he was finally off the front line. “It was hard there. I can’t even put it into words.”

He looks down and falls quiet.

Pavlo’s injuries were severe. His right arm was amputated below the shoulder, he still feels pain where his limb is missing, and he has shrapnel in his leg. His basic prosthetic gives him limited movement.

But he wanted to go on serving, so he became a conscription officer.

lmao Im going "what the gently caress are you talking about" till I get to the last line

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
Incredible.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Azov Battalion made me the man i am today!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

crepeface posted:

did he say why? lol if he implied that biden is dumber than trump

probably because trump is erratic and chaotic whereas biden is a known quality of incompetence

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the part after it is also starship troopers af lol.

"One day, their children will ask what they did during the war, when the men were fighting. When they reply, 'I was hiding,' then they'll plummet in the children's eyes," Pavlo says firmly.

And yet the price Ukraine is paying to defend itself is already immense.

When I ask Pavlo whether he's lost friends in the fighting, he admits that there's "almost no one left" from his entire company.

"The only ones left are [injured] like me. The others are dead."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

the part after it is also starship troopers af lol.

"One day, their children will ask what they did during the war, when the men were fighting. When they reply, 'I was hiding,' then they'll plummet in the children's eyes," Pavlo says firmly.

And yet the price Ukraine is paying to defend itself is already immense.

When I ask Pavlo whether he's lost friends in the fighting, he admits that there's "almost no one left" from his entire company.

"The only ones left are [injured] like me. The others are dead."

no dumbass they'll make up some lie like they were making widgets for the front. troops are so goddamn dumb.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

crepeface posted:

did he say why? lol if he implied that biden is dumber than trump

If you click on the twitter link there's a short video below it that has the full context.

Interviewer: "Who is better for us? Biden or Trump?"

Putin: "Biden. He is more experienced. More predictable. He is an old school politician."

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

no dumbass they'll make up some lie like they were making widgets for the front. troops are so goddamn dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9EI8eBCO_M

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
your kids will never respect you regardless

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

this feels mean but I can't not see it

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

Fondest memories of the subway, buying bubble gum and star wars trilogy tapes from the stalls at the entrance of the station.

Getting a freshly baked pastry before heading over to the pirated video game stall. Checking out some airsoft guns and lego. Blushing at girls in line at the lingerie booth. Then hopping 2 stations over to catch your friends in the park

BULBASAUR has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Feb 15, 2024

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

meanwhile

https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1730027054983213411
https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1620293881207345152

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Wall Street Journal

https://www.wsj.com/world/ukrainian-soldiers-forced-to-tune-in-to-washington-politics-922e3dd7

Ukrainian Soldiers Forced to Tune In to Washington Politics
By Alistair MacDonald and Ievgeniia Sivorka | Photographs by Joseph Sywenkyj for The Wall Street Journal
Updated Feb. 14, 2024 12:01 am ET

... On a patrol Wednesday, Kucheriavenko, a sergeant, fired several grenade rounds from his armored vehicle at a Russian assault team—and then stopped, to conserve ammunition...

... Forces here are already running low on artillery and other ammunition. One battery is down to nine rounds of one particular caliber. Brigades in Avdiivka bristle with U.S. Bradley armored vehicles, Abrams tanks and M109 self-propelled howitzers, all of which need replacements and a constant flow of spares as fighting whittles down supplies...

... “For every five to seven enemy shells, we respond with one,” said Col. Serhiy Cherevaty, deputy commander of strategic communications of Khortytsia.

In this part of the front in east Ukraine, some say that ratio can be even less favorable...

... Kucheriavenko, who serves in the 93rd Mechanized Brigade, says his unit should be using about 1,000 Mk 19 grenade rounds a week but often ends up using 100 to 200. They save the ammunition for bigger assaults...

... At a nearby store, exhausted looking Ukrainian soldiers stocked up on food and coffee.

“Everybody wants to go home,” said one infantry soldier...

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

Service guarantees Severance

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I'm in Thailand for a conference at the moment, and out of curiosity tried to exchange cash rubles into Baht and ... it worked! In the year after the start of the SMO, for cash exchanges you had to get euros/dollars in Russia to exchange (or also have a western bank account, but that's difficult if you only have one citizenship). Seems like it flipped back to ruble being useful for traveling sometime recently.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Xaris posted:

i'm convinced that the reason like 95% of liberals turned into blood-thirsty pro-azov sickos was because they're mad about russiagate still

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Ukrainian support among libs is 100% based on revenge for Hillary losing. They demand oceans of Russian blood for Mother being denied her crown.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Organ Fiend posted:

This has nothing to do with your post, but I found it in another thread and knew you'd appreciate it.

That rules

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

also lol that Tucker showed Kievskaya specifically

for the "wow" effect I usually take visitors to Komsomolskaya (on the ring)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol that tucker still had to do the requisite "this isn't an endorsement of stalin he was bad" though

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

tazjin posted:

also lol that Tucker showed Kievskaya specifically

Yeah that seemed very intentional, but I have no idea who's supposed to get the message there.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

rare Stalin L

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Everyone makes mistakes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Stopping at Berlin was the real mistake.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

that's why pencils have erasers

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Lostconfused posted:

Stopping at Berlin was the real mistake.

To most people I'd say "Stalin did nothing wrong" because it's a great way to determine if someone is completely braindead about communism, but if they are a communist I'd concede the Mao ratio of 70 percent good, 30 percent bad.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

PhilippAchtel posted:

I thought there were a few times when Tucker asked a good question, mostly when he was able to prepare something in advance.

"Do you think other nations can make claims based on 17th c borders, Hungary for instance?" was a good one

All in all, I think Putin accomplished what he wanted to. There's nothing he could ever say that would convince CNN-watching westerners, but I can see it playing very well outside NATO.

Especially the narrative, which happens to be true, that Russia has over and over tried to work with NATO peacefully, but has continually been betrayed.

Yeah, Carlson really did excel when he just stayed quiet and truly focused on asking questions with some curiosity and some intent to learn.

The entire exchange about Nordstream, Germany and declining USD supremacy was probably my favourite part -- starts with a gentle Putin ribbing, goes into Putin not directly casting blame, followed by Carlson wanting to know more about a multi-polar world.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
stalin did one thing wrong

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Stalin did plenty wrong. Mostly refusing to back North Korea, China, etc. to the hilt against the Great Satan instead of being scared of another World War like a pussy

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Lol yeah, There would be no Israel if not for Stalin. He overruled his inner circle and shipped the world's best weapons to Israel right out of Czechoslovakia.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Only Lenin is without sin.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MNormanDavies/status/1757652889890386224

defeating the btg will have somehow inflicted more mental damage to nato than material damage to russia by the end of the war

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

the Ukrainian army made me the man I am today

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

Azov Battalion made me the man i am today!

:argh:

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

So true.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Endman posted:

In hindsight it was very silly of me to forget that, as is always the case with everything Western powers ever do, it's anti-communism all the way down

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Ukrainian support among libs is 100% based on revenge for Hillary losing. They demand oceans of Russian blood for Mother being denied her crown.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

defeating the btg will have somehow inflicted more mental damage to nato than material damage to russia by the end of the war

this is going to make Ukraine-based wargames have way too many loving counters

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yellow and blue counters are the new black

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The future ain't set in concrete, but with the Baltic states joining the club, Europe beefing up its defense game, and the whole Nordstream saga plus the energy trade mess, looks like those big Russian foreign policy dreams at the invasion's kickoff are turning out to be epic faceplants.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

all the stars are here
https://twitter.com/jimmy_dore/status/1758022158490701997

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The feeling I'm getting is bits of old newspaper clippings linked by hundreds of strings on a cork board while a dishevelled wide eyed person presents their theory, shouting while gesticulating madly.