Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My headcanon is that Dondoko Island is just a dream Kasuga had when he hit his head. It doesn’t actually exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mordiceius posted:

My headcanon is that Dondoko Island is just a dream Kasuga had when he hit his head. It doesn’t actually exist.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mordiceius posted:

hmmm rides a dolphin to get there. Has almost every major character from the series show up for a tropical vacation in end game no matter what the gently caress they're supposed to be doing, has a farm where I can make Hawaiian perverts do manual labor for fake currency as long as boars don't kill them, has mascots from a real life kids show running around as normal people, the kindly general store owner developed an orbital space laser that he does NOT use on the trash pirates who are ruining his island. He just has it to have it.

It's pretty consistent with the canon and grounded in reality for Yakuza. Not sure where you're getting this from.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

stuker posted:

this actually begs the question is dondoko island really running the same scam as nele island with non-nuclear waste?

e: ok now i want y9 to have a dungeon keeper minigame

they should instead just whack the nuclear waste with a baseball bat until it turns into a pile of inert rocks. would have saved everybody a lot of trouble to be honest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's very questionable how much of ichiban's rpg battle hallucinations are real.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Gachapin and Mukku are powerful

Mukku's a son of a bitch. Do NOT trust him. If you let him into your life, you will regret it, mark my words.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Is the (beach animal guy subquest spoiler) excavator fight music available as a cd somewhere?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i love how mukku will sit there and listen to a spooky story about a scary shadow that's been hanging around the waterfall in the evenings and just thinks to himself "wow, i should go hang around the waterfall again tonight"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Mukku's a son of a bitch. Do NOT trust him. If you let him into your life, you will regret it, mark my words.

Come and get your free Granblue rolls, you cannot resist

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder what the rest of the party's reactions are to things like Ichiban getting shanghaied into being a stuntman or Ichiban getting shanghaied into an escape room.

Like are Kiryu and Tomizawa just sitting on a bench trying to make awkward small talk while this happens.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

stuker posted:

e: ok now i want y9 to have a dungeon keeper minigame

i've been thinking more about this and i think i've got it figured out: ichiban gets roped into saving a failing takeshi's castle-style gameshow. employee/guest recruitment is now booking contestants, and you have to drive ratings by building the course/setting a dramatic lineup. you can staff your sujimon for challenge segments

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

stuker posted:

i've been thinking more about this and i think i've got it figured out: ichiban gets roped into saving a failing takeshi's castle-style gameshow. employee/guest recruitment is now booking contestants, and you have to drive ratings by building the course/setting a dramatic lineup. you can staff your sujimon for challenge segments

And you can bring a bit of Ichiban Confections into it because you can like market the show

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

can it just be actually takeshi's castle complete with hirose having cheated death and living under a new identity though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bobjr posted:

I’m glad everything went well for (chap 12 substory) the little girl from 6 who was scared to get surgery

It is unironically my favorite substory in the entire franchise.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Just finished the game and can't believe RGG didn't let us see the reunion every single loving person playing this game wanted to see.

Ebina's motivations were...I mean I see how it fits in with the themes of the game and it's not a horrible backstory, but it just seemed kinda lame. Kiryu's guilt is more interesting than the actual dude. I did love how Majima and the gang just knew to show up at Millennium Tower; why wouldn't Kiryu be there?

I wish they hadn't been so vague with Kiryu; how did he get to be Kiryu again? Did the Daidoji let him out of the agreement? Is he in contact with his other friends as well as Haruka? The way the life links ended brings up a lot of questions, and if they were going to tell us about Chitose's fate and what became of Ebina and the whole thing with some awkward exposition, couldn't they have done some of that for Kiryu too?

As for Ichiban and Saeko....maybe in another year he'll realize he should ask about her feelings too? I have a bad feeling that in future games "oh how do i get saeko to love me???" will be a running joke and she'll never be treated like the others again, but as it is, it was pretty funny.

Speaking of Ichiban, I thought him still seeing Eiji as his friend was ridiculous, but it did end up being moving. Not sure why we had to knock Ichiban out at the end though! Let the man have his drat beef bowl jeez.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The higher ups at the Daidoji just getting increasing drunk and speedrunning missions to assign to Kiryu that are guaranteed to blow his cover.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

can it just be actually takeshi's castle complete with hirose having cheated death and living under a new identity though

that's all part of the plan, he's just included as DLC with majima and crew

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder what the rest of the party's reactions are to things like Ichiban getting shanghaied into being a stuntman or Ichiban getting shanghaied into an escape room.

Like are Kiryu and Tomizawa just sitting on a bench trying to make awkward small talk while this happens.

Kiryu is standing off to the side, giving a rueful chuckle, and talking about how this sort of thing happens all the time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the side quests don't play nice with having a party. for example, no one ever acknowledges the giant robot vacuum even though they help fight it. i guess that's inevitable, though. the alternative would be to have substories only available while you have certain party members.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

They already do that by not opening certain substories until you get to later chapters when your party is by default more fleshed out

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they don't, because the earlier substories are still accessible after party members leave. for that idea to hold water you would have to only gain party members and never lose them. you can do substories any time after they unlock, and your party never gets involved outside of battle.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Ichiban is hallucinating the party being there because a hero never fights alone unless it’s significant for the plot. Namaste.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing Essence abilities can never be used by different classes? Doesn't seem like I can assign them to the slots.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing Essence abilities can never be used by different classes? Doesn't seem like I can assign them to the slots.

When you unlock the final slot at 100 bond or whatever it is you can only assign an essence skill from another class into it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Funky Valentine posted:

Chitose watching Ichiban getting drugged unconscious by another lady and telling the guys she did it better

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Chitose and Tomizawa are kind of weirdly implemented characters to me. Tomi has got a good backstory, but his poo poo gets more or less wrapped up really early in the story. Meanwhile, in Chitose's case, the internet stuff is compelling enough but her also being the daughter of the ultra-wealthy with a combat butler is some real anime poo poo, and not in a good way

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

this goon actin like they don't got a kung fu peepaw like the rest of us

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
At chapter 12, I believe and decided to go back to Dondoko for the first time in forever. It's real good so far, haven't expected another mechanic to come into play at 2 stars, but I wonder how it plays if you're actually into decorating stuff. It seems that the best strat is to dump gross Kamurocho buildings on the tropical island and fill your house with incomprehensibly large items like jacuzzi and a fountain. I wonder if you can even do something aesthetically pleasing and still have good stats.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Absolutely love that kiryu is gay for nanba despite seonhee's best efforts.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kiryu is nanbinary

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

Absolutely love that kiryu is gay for nanba despite seonhee's best efforts.

i'm not sure why i was surprised that the man who regularly strips off and grapples other musclemen is so homoerotic

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kiryu definitely does flirt a lot with Saeko and Seonhee. But nothing compares to the bromance he has with Zhao and Nanba

I feel like we were robbed of an Ichiban and Kiryu drink link/walk and talk

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Man, theae fuckin memoir spots are wild. It will just like hmm cake and coffee good combo... reminds me of date-san and helicopters, always stood my ground when he showed up in one. Hmph.

Or even wilder the suggestion that ishin/dead souls/paradise lost are all dreams kiryu had. Which means theybare canon :sickos:

And then they even have proper substory versions???? Like i went to meet the arms dealer figured it would be a fun jpg but oh no its the hardest battle yet with that sick af music track from 3, i was not prepared and almost wiped, kiryu was the only left standing surviving on hawaiian pizza cos i ran out of first aid kits and bolus and never bothered restocking cos i felt under levelled until loving chapter 8. What a battle.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 15, 2024

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah I had the same feeling when I first went back to Japan and they don't let you back in Survive to meet the bartender I was like, ok, they didn't want to commit to this fully. Then they do let you in, and it's obviously pointed out, but it seemed like they wouldn't go into it as a real world event, just a wacky fourth wall breaking thing. Then the memory link happens and they actually have a cool conversation where they show you that yeah, Kashiwagi is actually who he is and he lived and retired happily. Then I started getting all the other kiryu past meetups.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like how Joongi's Drink Links through the third rank are just the two of you being friends with no drama. :3:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm in chapter eight and it feels like the enemies have started using debuffs and negative status effects more often. Really bumps the difficulty, or, at least, makes it so you can't sleep through combat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ch12 As we all know, the two biggest problems facing Japan right now are the yakuza and nuclear waste

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

Ch12 As we all know, the two biggest problems facing Japan right now are the yakuza and nuclear waste

This is a world where 1 yen still converts neatly to a dollar, so it's definitely some manner of fantasy

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Do you ever go to Kamurocho as part of the story? I'm wondering if I should hold off on doing anthing there. I'm currently at Ch.10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

grate deceiver posted:

Do you ever go to Kamurocho as part of the story? I'm wondering if I should hold off on doing anthing there. I'm currently at Ch.10

Yes, but not for very long. It's also split into different-level chunks just like Yokohama so you could just go there whenever