Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It’s not a bad price for once but I just can’t see myself getting back into the game unless they start offering more gameplay options.

Yeah, same. More characters means nothing if the game is still so thin. The day-to-night beach arena does look cool, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

blunt posted:

"We should add some more arenas to the game"

"Like the new TV show and PPVs we launched since the game was released?"

"No, a beach, but at both daytime and night time"

They should add 45 new parts to the create an arena because aew has pretty bad video game style stages. It ain't the early 2000's

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

More pizza jpegs! More toast skits!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I feel like this is gonna be a no mans sky where the skeleton was ok but bare bones and by year 5 it winds up being a wildly deep game after all the doenloaded support. I just wish the season passes were cheaper and they would add even more caw components.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Also wtf just add the modern belts that one feels the most baffling.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That's way too much money for what they're selling. The WWE 2K games were doing 5-6 wrestlers for $10. That's a fair price for 3 wrestlers and the arenas and other stuff they are throwing in there.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I feel like this is gonna be a no mans sky where the skeleton was ok but bare bones and by year 5 it winds up being a wildly deep game after all the doenloaded support. I just wish the season passes were cheaper and they would add even more caw components.

I wish I had this optimism.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Just give me at least a decent CAW suite, how hard is that jfc Tony

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STONE COLD 64 posted:

No Man's Sky has charged a whopping $0 for all post-release content so no it's not going to be at all like that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

No Man's Sky has charged a whopping $0 for all post-release content so no it's not going to be at all like that.

yea the cost is a killer

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Also NMS has added new mechanics and gameplay and massively overhauled the underlying game. Fight Forever is letting you play as Swerve. Which is cool, but doesn't fix the things people are complaining about.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Hello Games also immediately fixed the core issues with No Man's Sky in a matter of what? Three months' time? Then proceeded to improve the game even beyond the initial expectations on a yearly basis.

Yuke's added a lovely battle royale mode.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
There was a point where I was convinced Yukes could do good work if they were freed from WWE's insane schedule of having to make a whole-rear end game every 9 months but it turns out no they really are just complete poo poo at making games.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Drakkel posted:

There was a point where I was convinced Yukes could do good work if they were freed from WWE's insane schedule of having to make a whole-rear end game every 9 months but it turns out no they really are just complete poo poo at making games.

Yuke's is like a Fed wrestler who you thought could do better freed from WWE creative but turns out they're mid elsewhere too or are actually a big fan of cuck angles.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Yukes over here bein Miro when Yukes should be Matt Cardona

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Yuke's is like a Fed wrestler who you thought could do better freed from WWE creative but turns out they're mid elsewhere too or are actually a big fan of cuck angles.

Miro?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Yuke's made Rumble Roses, didn't they? I remember that game being pretty well liked.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It will be very hard to turn the base game around with DLC when fans don’t expect that from sports games.

It’s also like $80 to buy everything right now as a new player, with it on sale. But it’s broken down as a $30 base game and $50 of DLC, which just feels wrong.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Astro7x posted:

It will be very hard to turn the base game around with DLC when fans don’t expect that from sports games.

It’s also like $80 to buy everything right now as a new player, with it on sale. But it’s broken down as a $30 base game and $50 of DLC, which just feels wrong.

i kinda at this point just wish that they would have done an AEW pack/bundle of fire pro wrestling world for a multi console release, kinda like how the ps4 version of FPW came bundled with the NJPW pack if bought physically

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

unimportantguy posted:

Yuke's made Rumble Roses, didn't they? I remember that game being pretty well liked.
Yuke's make a lot of things across the entire quality spectrum. It's just kinda hard to remember since they spent most of the 2010s exclusively working on WWE games.

Since they left the series after 2K19, they've put out two Earth Defense Force spinoffs, assisted Sega with development of two Tokyo 2020 Olympics games (including the Mario and Sonic one), did the AEW thing, and published a mobile DC Comics-themed deckbuilder that launched last June and is shutting down forever in two weeks. So, kind of a mixed bag.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Have they changed the CAW system yet so you don't have to take CAWs all the way through career mode to improve their stats? Because until they change that, no matter how many parts they add, no one's gonna bite.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think people are conflating lovely game with short game.

The actual gameplay is loving great, there just isn’t enough game. They haven’t made a lovely game at all unless your one and only metric for quality is the volume of content.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
There's a lot of really easy things they could do to give you a reason to play more, though. Kenny's a fighting game guy, why isn't there an Arcade mode, with little endings written up for everyone? Maybe something like Hitman's escalation mode, where you have to take on a series of challenges with rising difficulty. A procedural career/universe mode is obviously ideal, but hell, if you just slapped together a random card generator and let people play through one disconnected show at a time, you'd at least be surprised by whatever silly stuff the dice come up with.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

History Comes Inside! posted:

The actual gameplay is loving great, there just isn’t enough game. They haven’t made a lovely game at all unless your one and only metric for quality is the volume of content.

There not being enough game to enjoy the good gameplay makes it quite lovely imo.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I'd be fine with the gameplay if there was anything more to do with it than just doing random exhibition matches or running the like, 30 minute story mode over and over and over again when it takes at best 2 runs to see literally everything it has to offer.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
It's the rare case where I think swearing against yearly releases actually burned them.

Like, it feels like it has say, Smackdown 1 vibes. People don't remember SD1 because it was a pretty sparse game content wise. Nothing too impressive in it, but it was way better than what PSX wrestling game fans had at the time - WWF Attitude and WCW Thunder.

Literally less than a year later they polished it up, added a bazillion new match types and Smackdown 2 is one of the fondest remembered games of its era.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If the season 1+2+3 content had been one $15 DLC that came out in one drop 2-3 months after launch and then they kept up that cadence (especially adding more modes the way they did with beat the elite) it wouldn't be so bad. But the constant slow expensive drip isn't going to draw anybody back to the game.

Anyway, November's DLC leaked:

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1757921461702922730

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The combination of everything should, ideally, inspire caution in whatever followup game they have in mind. Because I don't know what'd be worse, this being their only try, or them thinking they can get away with doing this again and trying basically their WWE-release tricks but more expensive and taking a bit longer each time

I'd hope they fix their poo poo, but this was supposed to be them fixing their poo poo in the first place after the WWE games

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

For peak "more expensive", just imagine Fight Forever 2 being this but costing $100 out the gate/without any DLC released just yet

https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1757773705030013172

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If like half your predictions are poo poo that’s already happening are they even predictions

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

For peak "more expensive", just imagine Fight Forever 2 being this but costing $100 out the gate/without any DLC released just yet

https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1757773705030013172

Idk who that guy is but he can shut up

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Predictions for the next console generation:
- controllers of some sort
- HDMI capable
- power supply
- output at least 720p
- ability to play digital and physical media

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

- HDMI capable
- power supply
- output at least 720p

:hmmno:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Huge if true

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

flashy_mcflash posted:

- HDMI capable
- power supply
- output at least 720p

That last one is spotty.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

History Comes Inside! posted:

We made a fuckin great airplane but we don't have a runway. Also we're charging $15 for tray table access. Customers are gonna be psyched

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

NameHurtBrain posted:

It's the rare case where I think swearing against yearly releases actually burned them.

Like, it feels like it has say, Smackdown 1 vibes. People don't remember SD1 because it was a pretty sparse game content wise. Nothing too impressive in it, but it was way better than what PSX wrestling game fans had at the time - WWF Attitude and WCW Thunder.

Literally less than a year later they polished it up, added a bazillion new match types and Smackdown 2 is one of the fondest remembered games of its era.

There are so many basic things that they could add that don't even go into the area of needing to create an actual new mode like a Cage Match. Falls Count Anywhere, Table Match, I Quit, Ironman, Elimination Style 3-way/4-way, a Tournament maker, gauntlet match....

With our luck we are going to get a Mimosa Mayhem match added randomly in Season 4.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The one match type they added seems to indicate that they don't have a great grasp of how to simulate conditions outside basic match types. But then everyone has basically hated every attempted simulation of every special match type in every wrestling video game ever made, with the notable exceptions of MDickie (who doesn't have any real stip for any match anyway) and ladder matches (maximum chaos). People hit terminal QTE fatigue around the era of Resident Evil 4, which was 20 years ago. They haven't gotten any more fun and compelling since.

Anyway at this point I don't think any kind of substantial mechanical addition is in the cards.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hell, Smackdown 1 had a CAW mode with an infinite seasonal rotation and I played it endlessly as a kid. Fight Forever doesn't even have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Smackdown 1's CAW mode was you chose like, 3 parts. An existing head(and hair), an existing torso, and an existing set of legs. The unlockables were parts for guys not included in the base game, like Pre-RTC Stevie Richards. It was a pretty dire CAW mode to be honest, and IIRC it even had the 'you gotta do preseason mode to get stats for your CAW' dumb bullshit.

SD2's improvements on this was kind of amazing given the games came out like, 9 months apart.