Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

DemihumanResources posted:

I'm going to reserve judgement on Firefox until I see it. They do bundle lots of awful poo poo, hostile default settings, and ads already but they're usually very good about being able to turn off things you don't want. Even usually without having to resort to twiddling about :config settings. Losing that will be the actual tipping point for me.

Shame you can't turn off their garbage, touch-first UI any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bring back Netscape

https://isp.netscape.com/

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

weren't they bought by AOL?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
firefox is the closest descendant of netscape available but i agree they should bring it back

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Pale Moon is another weirdo option.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Mobile Firefox has no functionality to go "back" to the home page, it opens a new tab and leaves the site you were on open. It's loving infuriating and I'm probably just going to go back to chrome despite trying to like Firefox for the last 4 months

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cerekk posted:

Mobile Firefox has no functionality to go "back" to the home page, it opens a new tab and leaves the site you were on open. It's loving infuriating and I'm probably just going to go back to chrome despite trying to like Firefox for the last 4 months

Chrome did the same thing to me. Every time I open it, it opens a new tab. So every once in a while I'll open it and notice I have 7 tabs open and I'll close them all. Same thing in the FF app. It's annoying.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

The real downer in this article is finding out that the majority of Mozilla's revenue is subsidies from Google as a fig leaf protection against antitrust action.

Cerekk posted:

I can't figure out what you're complaint is or how it differs from the way Chrome acts. I just tried this on my laptop and on my phone and I can go back to the home screen from a webpage without it opening a new tab? It does open a new tab if you hit the home button but I can't imagine why you would ever do that. As far as I can tell, Firefox and Chrome function identically except I can block ads on mobile with Firefox and Chrome insists on force feeding me clickbait hellscapes whenever I open the app.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

pencilhands posted:

nerds are so tiresome

Not nearly as tiresome as bitter old helpdesk slaves raging in impotent fury that someone might touch a computer and like it

Personally I would never use surf or anything suckless but I can see why some people would like it. And in my experience "normal people" think it's cool when people do unusual things with computers and wiggle out partially from under the thumb of Big Data, the average goon's idea of "normal people" is the cool kids club from a 1980s teen comedy because they peaked in tenth grade.

goons: my favorite mainstream tech thing is being enshittified

also goons: I refuse to learn any new skills or accept any inconvenience to reduce the tech industry's control over my life

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 15, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How on earth does Chrome use so much memory? Like I've got Gcal open and it says it's using 150 MB, and of course that's just one of like 30 tabs.

It idles them now, but it still says my Chrome is currently using 6.5 GBs

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

How on earth does Chrome use so much memory? Like I've got Gcal open and it says it's using 150 MB, and of course that's just one of like 30 tabs.

It idles them now, but it still says my Chrome is currently using 6.5 GBs

It's the websites themselves more than the browser, nobody writes HTML anymore, they just deploy huge stacks of middleware and that's even before the ads

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I only have 8 GB of RAM and Chrome rarely breaks 2 GB of usage even with a ton of tabs open, so I think that it must scale to what it has available to it to some extent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

It's the websites themselves more than the browser, nobody writes HTML anymore, they just deploy huge stacks of middleware and that's even before the ads

Oh, OK, so my poor hygiene browsing with 45 tabs open at all times would be hosed in Firefox or whatever other browser

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have 5 tabs open in FF now and task manager is showing 18 instances of FF running with 1,280MB of RAM being used and I have 32GB.

For reference.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
in chrome if you have a page like say for example the somethingawful forums open and you open new tabs from it with middle click then switch to them or other tabs or go take a poo poo or whatever and then go back to the first tab and open more links the same way, the new tabs will open to the immediate right of the first tab like god intended

if you do the same in firefox on the other hand, the tab will appear to the right for half a second before getting moved to the end of the group of tabs opened from that tab. there are some about:config settings to have different but even worse behavior and i wish it just did it like chrome does. might switch to another chromium based browser especially if mozilla farts up ff with ai

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave

Yeep posted:

Shame you can't turn off their garbage, touch-first UI any more.

On desktop, you can, with https://github.com/black7375/Firefox-UI-Fix

I got my compactness back, my tabs are real tabs and not floating buttons, and lots of other little fixes for the baby toy-ification of the UI.

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave

Have you tried the "Always Right" extension yet?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

I only have 8 GB of RAM and Chrome rarely breaks 2 GB of usage even with a ton of tabs open, so I think that it must scale to what it has available to it to some extent.

Dumping pages out of memory all the time defeats the purpose of having loads of tabs open, not caring about tab hygiene is the biggest perk of having 64 gigs

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There aren't more than 4-5 websites worth looking at. Pfft tab hygiene

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disturbing lack of Safari references

Lucky Greedo
Feb 14, 2012

At last, he held the throat of his beater.
car wash has taped over their card readers and now requires you to pay with their app. I declined and dude wanted to use his phone to take pictures of my credit card for his app instead :doit:

Woolie Wool posted:

Talk more about this please, I'm in school for CS right now and grew up writing HTML and I Do Not understand why industry has adopted these gigantic piles of middleware to accomplish really quite simple tasks. Security issue? Some kind of pyramid scheme? I mean I hate JS too but do we really need to live like this

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

Disturbing lack of Safari references

I keep a Safari browser open all day (along with Firefox and Chrome), and only have a gmail page open, yet every day I get a little warning from Safari that "This webpage was reloaded due to using too much energy" or something to that effect, and I just chuckle, looking at that plain rear end Gmail inbox.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lucky Greedo posted:

Talk more about this please, I'm in school for CS right now and grew up writing HTML and I Do Not understand why industry has adopted these gigantic piles of middleware to accomplish really quite simple tasks. Security issue? Some kind of pyramid scheme? I mean I hate JS too but do we really need to live like this

The industry has never actually used HTML/CSS/VanillaJS directly at scale because it has always failed at two key aspects: Reusable components and dynamic content. However, that used to all be hidden away server-side. The bloat was always there, it has just been moved to the user's browser.

The modern middleware stacks (React/Vue/Angular/etc...) are actually way easier for developers to use than the old PHP/Ruby/ASP approach if only because at least there is now only a single programming language to deal with, and you can share code between the site itself and the program that builds it. Server-side infrastructure is also basically trivial now. On the flip-side, the machinery that handles reusability and dynamic stuff are now exposed to users.

A lot of the bloat also comes from a ton of backwards-compatibility junk that the modern frameworks include to make sure sites still work on as many browsers as possible. If you don't care about that, stuff like pReact will give you an equivalent stack for about 3Kb.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 15, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe there should be standards with respect to the internet.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

The real downer in this article is finding out that the majority of Mozilla's revenue is subsidies from Google as a fig leaf protection against antitrust action.

I can't figure out what you're complaint is or how it differs from the way Chrome acts. I just tried this on my laptop and on my phone and I can go back to the home screen from a webpage without it opening a new tab? It does open a new tab if you hit the home button but I can't imagine why you would ever do that. As far as I can tell, Firefox and Chrome function identically except I can block ads on mobile with Firefox and Chrome insists on force feeding me clickbait hellscapes whenever I open the app.

From this thread in Chrome, if I hit back once I'm at the SA control panel, then back again and I'm on the Chrome homepage.

From this thread in Firefox, if I hit back once I'm at the SA control panel, then back again and it opens another tab to display the Firefox homepage and leaves the SA control panel open in a background tab like a sociopath.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That seems like something in your settings, my Firefox just walks back to the new tab screen if it reaches the end of a tab's history.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

euphronius posted:

Maybe there should be standards with respect to the internet.

The best part about standards is that there are so many to choose from

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Dip Viscous posted:

Pale Moon is another weirdo option.

i installed this thing at work along for a couple years with an old version of the adobe flash plugin that wasn't time bombed because it was pretty much the only way to run the lovely flash-based administration tools of outdated enterprise hardware

thanks weirdos!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

r u ready to WALK posted:

i installed this thing at work along for a couple years with an old version of the adobe flash plugin that wasn't time bombed because it was pretty much the only way to run the lovely flash-based administration tools of outdated enterprise hardware

thanks weirdos!

:same:

I'm guessing you're referring to CIMC? I went through a huge fiasco for a customer figuring out how the gently caress I could get into the Flash-only management panel to update it

then I did update it, and I had to go through the same loving hoops to get a Java version that would work. After 8 hours of loving around I got it updated to run HTML5

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They hosed up the concept of USB.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

as far as i can tell it doesnt work, exact same behavior

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i was one of those schmucks that signed up for Peacock for a football game....it is by far the worst running streaming app I've had on the PS4. It ran like poo poo right out the gate.

it tends to just crap out and need a hard app reset after 2 hours, without fail. the "crap out" has been really weird like it just got stuck on 1 frame of a completely unrelated show, with some weird garbled audio. maybe i was getting haunted idk

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

20 Blunts posted:

i was one of those schmucks that signed up for Peacock for a football game....it is by far the worst running streaming app I've had on the PS4. It ran like poo poo right out the gate.

it tends to just crap out and need a hard app reset after 2 hours, without fail. the "crap out" has been really weird like it just got stuck on 1 frame of a completely unrelated show, with some weird garbled audio. maybe i was getting haunted idk

You mean paramount, but yeah, it's the worst

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
paramount actually improved a lot in the 5 months since it stopped loading completely for me. I finally started up DS9 again and now it is remembering where I was regularly and letting me easily switch episodes, which it was terrible about before

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

You mean paramount, but yeah, it's the worst

No, Peacock. NBC had an NFL playoff game that they only aired via Peacock.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Salesforce gets shittier every time they "improve" it. Our platform updated to force you to pick between a user and queue when moving a case, defaults to user, and somehow several "users" were created with the same name as our work queues. 6 weeks later we find 130 unworked requests hanging out under a 'user' that shouldn't exist.

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave

dreezy posted:

as far as i can tell it doesnt work, exact same behavior

Bummer. I reckon there's a lot of little annoyances like that in Firefox, where someone spins up a bespoke fix that may or may not be a fix for others.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Salesforce gets shittier every time they "improve" it. Our platform updated to force you to pick between a user and queue when moving a case, defaults to user, and somehow several "users" were created with the same name as our work queues. 6 weeks later we find 130 unworked requests hanging out under a 'user' that shouldn't exist.

Literally the same thing just happened to us except instead of being assigned to nonexistent users they were assigned to the correct queue but in a nonexistent region

I've never seen a good Salesforce integration. Wtf do those sf admins take an expensive 5-hour cert exam for!!!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Large Testicles posted:

weren't they bought by AOL?

This page says it’s owned by Yahoo but Netscape corp was owned by AOL so maybe this is how they carved the corpse of netscape way back when. Interestingly enough the games section links to an aol property.

The interesting thing is that isp.netscape.com seems to be a flawless presentation of AP news stories. Jesus christ its beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm not a computer toucher, but my laptop has gone from pretty quick to just chugging and lagging. Task manager seems to say chrome is using ~80% in fits and bursts.