Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

special FORMULA E DERIVED TYRES.

But all-season tires already exist? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Full Collapse posted:

But all-season tires already exist? :confused:

Stellantis marketers are grasping at straws after the abarth 500 launch being panned not just by the average car press talibans but also the techbros influencers. Not using the opportunity to use the car as the first STLA small dual engine car is a waste of chassis, maybe not as much as making the next panda using the chinese market SMART chassis used for the new eC3 instead of making the centoventi as pretty much everyone wished for.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
What a sad end for Abarth lol. I had both a 500 Abarth and a 124(Fiata lol) and they were both fun and had character especially the 500. Lukewarm EVs with lackluster power and poo poo range is sad to see.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

phosdex posted:

How does toyota have so many different models and everybody else is trying to reduce theirs.

They aren't really "adding" models like you think. This is not like the old days where Toyota made 3 RWD sedans on the same platform but with different names/aesthetics (Toyota Chaser, Cressida etc) Toyota made a bit of a mistake with the Crown. It has always been their full sized luxury-ish sedan, also used as a taxi or livery vehicle. It sits in a dying market niche similar to the Ford Crown Victoria. Every Toyota model has its own deeply dedicated following, complete with a unique logo on the front of the car (instead of a Toyota symbol). When they decided to turn the Crown into an SUV instead of launching a separate model type it caused a massive uproar in Japan because it was not the crown they always knew and loved. Toyota made a last minute decision to redesign it as a sedan but it's still sort of an SUV. Resulting in the present vehicle. As such sales are likely to suffer.

Going back to adding/reducing lines- the Crown replaces the Avalon. Which signals Toyota is starting to consolidate its lineup to have more "World cars" rather than very specific models for specific markets that other people don't get. The Crown Signia replaces the slot that the Toyota Venza occupies. You can think of it as a vehicle that occupies a niche similar to the Subaru Outback. The Land Cruiser is new in that it competes with the market niche the Wrangler and Bronco play in.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Was checking out the new Mustang the other day and holy crap did Ford completely gently caress up the dashboard with the two giant iPads right next to each other, that is the dumbest, ugliest poo poo I have ever seen in a pony car what the hell are these people at Ford thinking? It completely ruins the car

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 14, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The new interior is supremely ugly, yea.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Was checking out the new Mustang the other day and holy crap did Ford completely gently caress up the dashboard with the two giant iPads right next to each other, that is the dumbest, ugliest poo poo I have ever seen in a pony car what the hell are these people at Ford thinking? It completely ruins the car

Everyone's dashes are getting Elon'd.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

it's a bad trend, OP, and I'm against it as well

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Full Collapse posted:

There a few holdouts with landscape screens (mostly brands with a dash+infotainment combo) but they are a minority.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Full Collapse posted:

Yeah I pretty much expected it with appliance cars but Pony cars? Get hosed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The screens in the Dark Horse completely undercuts the entire "WOW SAVE THE MANUALS" marketing wank they try to get going for it. Yeah it's cool it's a coupe with a big ol' V8 and a manual transmission but the interior is cost cutting giant screen garbage which is like visual CVTs but instead of fuel economy is dollar economy for Ford being saved. Same thing happened to the Golf R with its manual. You're right, it does completely ruin the car and lmao that manufacturers keep doing it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was honestly kind of shocked they would do that to the Mustang, nothing is sacred anymore apparently but I guess i shouldn't be surprised after the Mustang Mach E it's a natural progression to them I'm sure. Idiocy.

Countdown to Miatas getting a giant Tesla Tablet

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was gonna say, "one neat thing about Nissan's ancient offerings is that the Z has like a proper dash* and probably will for its lifespan" but then I checked and so does the BMoyota Zupra, so it doesn't even have that leg up over it's competition :v:

*In so far as an all digital cluster can be considered one

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The year is 2035 and only luxury cars have knobs and dials and gauge needles made from the bones of the poor.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

LeeMajors posted:

The year is 2035 and only luxury cars have knobs and dials and gauge needles made from the bones of the poor.

Yep, that checks out.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sab669 posted:

I was gonna say, "one neat thing about Nissan's ancient offerings is that the Z has like a proper dash* and probably will for its lifespan" but then I checked and so does the BMoyota Zupra, so it doesn't even have that leg up over it's competition :v:

*In so far as an all digital cluster can be considered one

At least the new Z looks cool, the Supra still sucks.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This but the other way around.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Olympic Mathlete posted:

:hmmyes:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

:yeah:

The new Supra would be 1000x better without that hosed up snout they put on it. The front end is a disaster.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I love the rear, the way the body kinda swoops over the tail lights is super cool. But yea the front end is kinda 😬 IMO

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It absolutely has aspects of the design that are cool (back is decent like you say) but the fake vents are bullshit and should never have made it into the final design and the front end is a bit droopy looking and the bonnet kinda just looks like a bin lid.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New Lancia press event is over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzDn3__dzGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NAiyPnoAY0

In case you were wondering, yes it's another stla small car so nothing new to report.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Geez did they make that weird trunk hump even bigger before sticking a spoiler on top of it? Wonder what that looks like in the rear view mirror.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

Someone posted about this quite a while ago and it comes up every now and then and it's going to be 100% true. I absolutely hate what displays and gauge clusters have become.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I bought a Volvo with the hope that you get used to the screen buttons.

You don't.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

smooth jazz posted:

I bought a Volvo with the hope that you get used to the screen buttons.

You don't.

Yep, our 2021 was always a thorn in our side. We replaced it with a 2018 Land Cruiser (so basically a 2008 model) that my wife and I went "oh we hated that".
Not like the Toyota is perfect but at least the screen is small and integrated into the dashboard.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

fknlo posted:

Someone posted about this quite a while ago and it comes up every now and then and it's going to be 100% true. I absolutely hate what displays and gauge clusters have become.

I really don't think this is true. BMW has way more surround screen setups than like Toyota

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:yeah:

The new Supra would be 1000x better without that hosed up snout they put on it. The front end is a disaster.

The whole thing is a mess. It’s the FT-1 concept design but they had to shrink the proportions to fit on the platform BMW made available.

https://www.motortrend.com/vehicle-genres/toyota-ft-1-concept-first-look/?galleryimageid=1a8a4424-91a5-4c68-8e52-6f8620a85342

I still think it looks cool but it could have been so much better.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Dumb truck stuff, but I think it looks decent, better than the Raptor Ranger.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/first-look/uh-oh-we-badly-want-new-ford-ranger-ms-rt

quote:

Ford has been collaborating with the bodykit fanatics at M-Sport’s road-going arm MS-RT again, and we think the new Ranger MS-RT might be the best thing they’ve come up with yet. You’ll be able to buy this modified pickup from Ford Pro dealers all across Europe, with deliveries starting later this year. Sign us up.

The look is inspired by the racing Rangers that compete on circuits in Asia, and we’re absolutely loving that bluff front end with its new bodywork, honeycomb grille and integrated splitter. It’s a full 82mm wider than the standard Ranger with the track width increased and the arches flared out. Round the back you get a proper diffuser and even a little ducktail spoiler. Excellent.

There’s special, firmer suspension too which drops the ride height by 40mm, and the diamond cut wheels are 21in and wrapped in low profile tyres.

“If Ranger Raptor is the ultimate off-road truck, then the Ranger MS-RT is the ultimate street truck,” says Hans Schep, general manager of Ford Pro Europe. “It’s a departure from what we usually see in this segment in Europe, but with more car-like driving dynamics and the towing and carrying capacity unchanged, we believe it will offer a compelling new option for pickup customers.”

Yep, the Ranger MS-RT retains its one-tonne load-carrying and 3,500kg towing capacities thanks to the inclusion of the 3.0-litre V6 diesel engine. That sends 237bhp and a healthy 443lb ft of torque to all four wheels through a 10-speed automatic gearbox.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BuckyDoneGun posted:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/first-look/uh-oh-we-badly-want-new-ford-ranger-ms-rt

lol seats by Dan Flashes

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

GD_American posted:

lol seats by Dan Flashes

At least the inevitable high price tag will make sense. That pattern is SO complicated.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
btw you may or may not like this (I love it), but the Cadillac Lyriq has the most integrated screen/dash I've ever seen.

The picture makes it look bigger than it is. Sitting in the car, it's pretty unobtrusive.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Looks very similar to an Opel Astra.

Porsche did well with the Taycan in my opinion:

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Slam it, you cowards.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GD_American posted:

btw you may or may not like this (I love it), but the Cadillac Lyriq has the most integrated screen/dash I've ever seen.

The picture makes it look bigger than it is. Sitting in the car, it's pretty unobtrusive.

They should've made it longer on the right so it curves down nicely into the shape of the vents/controls section. It doesn't look bad but it could look better and the UI is wasting sooooooo much space that it kinda makes it all an exercise in pointlessness tbh.

And we need to talk about that loving steering wheel with the piano black airbag section and those awful touch controls :lol:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ThinkFear posted:

Slam it, you cowards.

Goddamn, seriously. They're right there. Just put it in the weeds and be done with it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

[tg]https://i.imgur.com/4FLlIg0.jpeg[/timg]
[tg]https://i.imgur.com/UTJ0k2S.jpeg[/timg]
[tg]https://i.imgur.com/Va0UrTE.jpeg[/timg]
[tg]https://i.imgur.com/mRMx3Rn.jpeg[/timg]
[tg]https://i.imgur.com/NsJ2umS.jpeg[/timg]
Ugh. What a waste of a truck chassis.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GD_American posted:

Still just stuck on, just that they made it so big that you can't really see the dashboard itself now. The Porsche posted does it far better.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And we need to talk about that loving steering wheel with the piano black airbag section and those awful touch controls :lol:

:negative:

Is there no indent or braille-like nubs or anything to feel to let you know where your fingers are so you don't have to touch-type like grandma in the late 90s hunting and pecking on the keyboard to use the controls?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KakerMix posted:

Is there no indent or braille-like nubs or anything to feel to let you know where your fingers are so you don't have to touch-type like grandma in the late 90s hunting and pecking on the keyboard to use the controls?

Swoopy piano black with weirdo haptic feedback touch controls is like 80% of why I passed on a GTI last week. It is just so wildly unintuitive and distracting. It's wild that manufacturers are still releasing new designs with this when feedback has been so universally negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a46791033/bmws-design-lead-says-the-m5-wagon-is-headed-stateside/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMZY0VQCcoM

I think this was all but confirmed, but still.

Wonder if my boss would give me an advance on my next 2 years salary :haw: