Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Turns out it’s actually a place in Nebraska.

The Nebraska Furniture Mega Mart Electronics & Appliances building.

Extremely similar to Incredible Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's like Incredible Universe and Fry's had a child. :stare:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The (now shuttered) Fry’s in Tempe was originally an Incredible Universe!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mmmmmmm, this should be an entry in the Cari institute

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Mmmmmmm, this should be an entry in the Cari institute

Utopian Scholastic all day erry day.

https://cari.institute/aesthetics/utopian-scholastic

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Truly, this page is enough for everybody.

I do not miss the time on configuring autoexec.bat and command.com and especially not when there's no way in 1994 to figure out how this .batshit insanity works in the first place. My only source of configs were friends and I have no idea how they got theirs either.

As I very vaguely recall, a combination of Help in DOS - the help browser in 6.22 was genuinely informative - and the manuals and readme files that came with your assorted hardware.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've never heard of this before. Very interesting stuff.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I was in Seattle for a couple days and had to go check out Re-PC (ended up visiting both locations!) after seeing Gravis' video. My haul was mostly cables and an obihai box for the telephone I was hoping to bring back into service, but the whole place is just such a nostalgia trip in its own right that it's worth it for the museum factor alone.

Some highlights:

Teletypes!

Kindness aid

Early adopter

I was already excited to see a running NES and Genesis side by side, but what really blew me away was the dreamcast dev kit

This video still image capture device comes with FREE Kai's PowerGoo

This :krad: phone was sadly not for sale.

Not sure why Thrustmaster chose to design their pedals like this but it clearly never caught on.

This was labeled working except for the tape deck, almost bought it for $80

Minicomputers, in the museum section

I'll definitely be returning next year :getin:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I don’t like his channel but I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out MetalJesusRocks has a video about re-pc receiving that dev kit and getting it going: https://youtu.be/56thyUlYBJA?si=Fgw-FljXzGnhYOYj

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Recapped my SE/30 last night and the sound works on it for the first time in like 5 years

https://i.imgur.com/8ZDQf83.mp4

Nice SE/30, good thing the recapping got audio to work, sometimes the cap goo from the leaking caps can damage the audio chips

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

snorch posted:

Love that orange and brown color scheme unironically. I wish I could have a 70s orange and brown kitchen.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

EL BROMANCE posted:

Memmaker and other tools was a help for sure. Having 5MB RAM over the regular 4 definitely was some nice breathing room and gave enough of a boost to sometimes run 8MB minimum games.

Duke 3D required 8MB of RAM, but running it from a DOS prompt in Windows 95 meant it could take advantage of virtual memory, and I got it working on my crappy 4MB computer.

Didn’t work with Quake, though, and ROTT took a veeeeery long time to load up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My dad was a teletype operator! I need to send him that photo.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

snorch posted:

This video still image capture device comes with FREE Kai's PowerGoo

In high school I was able to borrow a Snappy from work, and used it to capture stills from VHS camcorder footage of friends doing fighting moves in front of a sheet. Things did not work how I expected and I still had to use Photoshop 3.0 (which only had ONE layer of undo) to manually clean every frame.

One live action character was implemented (i think using a magic wand select of black pixels?) , and the other was a robot I made in 3D Studio 4.0 for DOS:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
We had a Snappy. Break out that SCSI card!

Snackmar posted:

One live action character was implemented (i think using a magic wand select of black pixels?) , and the other was a robot I made in 3D Studio 4.0 for DOS:

That's so rad, that's exactly the kind of poo poo I wanted to use it for.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

credburn posted:

We had a Snappy. Break out that SCSI card!

Oh interesting, the one I used was a parallel port version - I don't think I've ever actually had a SCSI port on one of my own computers

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

snorch posted:

Man, I'm in love with that Digital...thing. I don't know what it is, what it does (or did), but I love the look of it. I want it in my house and to somehow get it to control my Christmas lights, or something.

You can see how stuff like that really inspired set design for shows like Loki and, to a lesser extent, Severance (Severance seems to pull mostly from a few years later, early to mid 80's home and office PC aesthetic.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-8/e

I too am in love with the design work in Loki and Severance. The new Deadpool movie features the TVA so hopefully there will be more of that sort of thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The severance computers are actually real data terminals and are from 1977

https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.php/Data_General_6053

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

snorch posted:

What's the thing above the main panel?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What's the thing above the main panel?

Tape Drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECtape

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The severance computers are actually real data terminals and are from 1977

https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.php/Data_General_6053

Yeah I recognized them. I loved the weird graphics they created for them. They really captured the quality of a dream.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
If anyone wants their own PDP-8 at home there's this, sadly no tape drive though:

https://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/pidp-8

First off, that rules. Also they did have an original boxed copy of Photoshop 3.0 if you're really craving the full godawful asset creation workflow of the 90s experience.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

The (now shuttered) Fry’s in Tempe was originally an Incredible Universe!

My dad took me on opening day and I still have my member card somewhere

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Snackmar posted:

In high school I was able to borrow a Snappy from work, and used it to capture stills from VHS camcorder footage of friends doing fighting moves in front of a sheet. Things did not work how I expected and I still had to use Photoshop 3.0 (which only had ONE layer of undo) to manually clean every frame.

lol that rules

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, I'm in love with that Digital...thing. I don't know what it is, what it does (or did), but I love the look of it. I want it in my house and to somehow get it to control my Christmas lights, or something.

good news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1MDYYvw0cY

it's a minicomputer, basically a mainframe that didn't need an entire room any more just most of one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just noticed that it is now fully viable to run Impulse Tracker in DosBox on my 2022 mid powered laptop, where this wasn't true for my 2015 high powered one. I'm sure desktop parts have gotten there long ago, but it's novel to me. I've been waiting for this point since, idk, I skipped Windows ME for this (no true dos mode), so the point where XP got inevitable, I guess. A good twenty years.

I know there were and are plenty of alternatives for software. I still have modules that don't play correctly otherwise. It's crazy how all my Fruityloops and Nuendo and Cubase and even current Reaper projects degrade to an unplayable state due to folders moving, plugins becoming unavailable and whatever, but those turds I made when I was 17 live on.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Project Quasar has laid dormant but things are finally moving along:

It's a combo TV/radio/phone thing from 1985 that I'm connecting to a mini PC and building a retro-styled base for, inspired by these posts after I first posted about it itt... two years ago :negative::

spookykid posted:

Take any and all Zoom calls on it with the handset to your head the entire time.

Code Jockey posted:

gently caress you could absolutely make that into a video phone

Thanks for the inspiration! :v:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
incredible lol o7

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Trabant posted:

Project Quasar has laid dormant but things are finally moving along:

It's a combo TV/radio/phone thing from 1985 that I'm connecting to a mini PC and building a retro-styled base for, inspired by these posts after I first posted about it itt... two years ago :negative::

Thanks for the inspiration! :v:

I just saw a similar RCA TV/Radio/Flipclock popup in 2 weird Facebook groups I follow. I have never seen anything like it in person and have no use for one but if I ever find one I'm buying it and will figure out a use for it later..

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
poo poo, that's awesome. I love the 70s/80s "cram things together" approach to product design :allears:

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

the fry’s on Indianapolis was also an Incredible Universe.

in the meantime it was a car dealership with the no-haggle model before CarMax made it cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Came across a cuecat today, truly a Good Friday

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Beve Stuscemi posted:

you know, I never thought about how much those look like a dildo until just now.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

NEAT! Always loved those despite the dumbness of everything surrounding them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LifeSunDeath posted:

you know, I never thought about how much those look like a dildo until just now.

When you accidentally find out your girlfriend has a bar code on her cervix.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

When you accidentally find out your girlfriend has a bar code on her cervix.

Accident? Motherfucker I’m honest about mine being a factory model from the sex change hospital in Montreal. Got a nice little “Brassard” badge on my clit hood and everything.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Accept no substitutes.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I had a friend go black market and now their vagina squeaks like a rubber chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Desert Bus posted:

I had a friend go black market and now their vagina squeaks like a rubber chicken.

That's a feature, not a bug.