Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Insert name here posted:

Very rude of the game to give me my hardest challenge yet:

So it was this personal mission that taught me the key to the 380 and the 120 is for everyone to take it, and everyone throw their beacon at about the same time at about the same place, then run the gently caress away. With enough saturation, even those strategems are useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phenotype posted:

What weapons do you bring to terminator planet? I played a couple rounds there yesterday and it felt like half the enemies had my LMG rounds bouncing off their armor. How do you deal with, like, the AT-STs if they're coming right for you? I tried shooting them in the legs but that bounced off too.

By LMG, do you mean the Stalwart or the free one that has a bipod?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've only played up to Challenging, but just like with bugs, Autocannon is almost a requirement for me. Which sucks because realistically it takes up a backpack as well.

I might try to go back to EAT so I can run guard dog again though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there anything like the dumdum from hd1, that was my favorite call in weapon

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

EAT is nice, and replacing Recoiless in my group.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Will one EAT shot take off charger leg armor?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yes. I like to run the shield backpack so i get eats instead of anything that requires backpack support.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah im only level 8 but so far the EAT has been really good, nice quick cooldown too

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

EATs get three shots if you count trying to hit people with the pod.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How do you use something like that? You just call it down, use it once, and then it's gone? Are you just using your primary most of the time, then? I usually get the starter machine gun or the LMG and so I'm used to using the support weapon for 90% of the mission. I tried the laser once, but the cooldown on it is really long, so once I lost it and died I was stuck with my primary for a long stretch of time.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Each EAT drop has two one-use rockets and the stratagem's cooldown is 70 seconds vs like 480 seconds for the rest of the support weapon stratagems

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phenotype posted:

How do you use something like that? You just call it down, use it once, and then it's gone? Are you just using your primary most of the time, then? I usually get the starter machine gun or the LMG and so I'm used to using the support weapon for 90% of the mission. I tried the laser once, but the cooldown on it is really long, so once I lost it and died I was stuck with my primary for a long stretch of time.

Call it down when you need the anti-tank; the cool down is short enough that you'll probably be able to call another the next time you need it. For MG's and lasers you just walk around with it for the mission and pick it back up if you die or call in another one when the cooldown's up.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Phenotype posted:

Theyre disposable bazookas, theyre pretty useful since you can just drop em down, pick one up mid-sprint/kite, shoot, and do it again. Their cooldown is also very short (relative to other support strats) so even if you dont need one right now, you can just always have a pod of EATs nearby everytime you engage.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also just use the breaker. Unless you have that upgrade of pump shotgun the slug for our, then use that for robots

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Man, bots really do not like the Marksman Rifle. It takes down most of the chaff with one shot easily, and even some of the more dangerous dudes with the rocket launchers only take 2 bullets at most. Obviously it doesn't fare well against the big armored boys, but that's why you bring an Autocannon.

Also tried messing around with a TONK build using the heavy armor with bonus padding, the ballistic shield, and the Defender. Actually not all that bad against the bots - you will barely take a scratch from most common patrols at Diff 4, only needing to prioritize rocket boys because they will do very funny things to you (if they don't kill you outright, they will physic you pretty hard in a hilarious way). The Defender is super-accurate for an SMG too, and you can use it to plink bots from a surprisingly long distance.

My only problem that game was that my teammates murdered more of us with mine strategems than anything else. Oh, and no one brought Anti-Armor so the big guns from halfway across the map had fun sniping us.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I'll second the breaker for killing robots. The sheer volume of fire you can put out will kill most lightly armored Automatons. A few rounds in each arm of the chainsaw guys basically cripples them and lets you clean up the rest before you actually kill it.

Breaker+EAT+recoiless rifle has been my current bot setup and working nicely. Breaker for light stuff, RR for the odd heavier unit, and the EATs to call down prior to a bigger engagement.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dandywalken posted:

its awful imo. Unfun as hell on higher diff

You can see what you're going to throw on the left after you punch the code in - it's not a random "gently caress you", it's another attention-demand challenge.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Minefield is the deadliest stratagem by far and responsible for more teamkills than Operation Cobra

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

You can see what you're going to throw on the left after you punch the code in - it's not a random "gently caress you", it's another attention-demand challenge.

It's annoying because it's randomized. There's no trick to it. If you enter a code and get the wrong stratagem you have to put your pokeball away and redial the code until you get what you want. It would be better if, for example, the orbital strike and autocannon were permanently swapped for the duration of the mission and you had to remember which is which.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CainFortea posted:

So it was this personal mission that taught me the key to the 380 and the 120 is for everyone to take it, and everyone throw their beacon at about the same time at about the same place, then run the gently caress away. With enough saturation, even those strategems are useful.

Yeah I managed to do that by doing a mission with two guys spamming it, then I played two more rounds during meetings this morning to get the last four kills. That stratagem sure seems to kinda blow compared to others though

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Owl Inspector posted:

Is there anything like the dumdum from hd1, that was my favorite call in weapon
That's literally the autocannon

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like the 'kill x y's' orders are bugged. I saw 'kill 20 striders' and I did a few missions where I killed at least 5-10 each, and it showed no progression. same with 'kill 3 chargers' which I do like 2-3 times per ant mission with a full clip of grenade launcher grenades each time, unless somehow someone's 'kill stealing' me each time. but for sure I kill the walkers myself, one grenade takes them out.

I also disconnected more times yesterday than any other day (steam). I feel like network issues are getting worse.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

redreader posted:

I feel like the 'kill x y's' orders are bugged. I saw 'kill 20 striders' and I did a few missions where I killed at least 5-10 each, and it showed no progression. same with 'kill 3 chargers' which I do like 2-3 times per ant mission with a full clip of grenade launcher grenades each time, unless somehow someone's 'kill stealing' me each time. but for sure I kill the walkers myself, one grenade takes them out.

I also disconnected more times yesterday than any other day (steam). I feel like network issues are getting worse.

Yesterday I had to restart and I lost progress on the get 50 kills order. Only lost a few kills and I eventually got it done but there’s still some network/server jank on their end going on.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I managed to do that by doing a mission with two guys spamming it, then I played two more rounds during meetings this morning to get the last four kills. That stratagem sure seems to kinda blow compared to others though

The 120 and 380 are best used on bigger objective areas to just soften them up if it's only one person using them.

I'll chuck one of them in there prior to calling in my supplies/weapons I want for a bigger fight. Typically they'll take out a Fab or some turrets/forces. They also work really well to cover you falling back out of a hot spot. Toss one over your shoulder and just keep running, they'll clean the field for you to get out safe.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Retro42 posted:

The 120 and 380 are best used on bigger objective areas to just soften them up if it's only one person using them.

I'll chuck one of them in there prior to calling in my supplies/weapons I want for a bigger fight. Typically they'll take out a Fab or some turrets/forces. They also work really well to cover you falling back out of a hot spot. Toss one over your shoulder and just keep running, they'll clean the field for you to get out safe.

Even when just starting out it's fine to throw a grenade or two at your feet as you escape fast enemies who are just behind you, or call in an orbital strike and throw it a second or so of running, ahead of you and run through it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Well I guess the anti cheat lasted for like half a week? Played a match with a random pub and ended up with 999 of every sample, including ones the difficulty isn't supposed to drop.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

That's literally the autocannon

Ok I will unlock this ASAP

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Phenotype posted:

Call it down at the start of the mission and chuck one on your back, use your primary for most things. If you're not shooting every patrol (and you shouldn't be) you should be in a position where you can call one down for a big planned fight, which gives you three shots.

On your own that should deal with most armoured threats (if you're feeling lazy you can shoot a charger in the leg twice with a rocket for an kill) and if your team has any AT (most people bring something) anything else will also get cleaned up.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So doing the evac missions with pubbies with unlimited fire mines may not be the best for civilian survival.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Diligence is good on bot missions, as are the AMR or Autocannon. If you're Level 20 and have the RP, just slam a Railgun in don't look back. The shield generator backpack is also nice for bot missions. In my experience the Orbital Railgun also oneshots tanks pretty consistently (I don't think their HP increases with difficulty? It kills them at Level 7 at least).

Edit: Honestly the Railgun is the answer to basically everything. I genuinely think it's OP. The only things it can't do are plug enemy spawns or destroy spore towers/illegal broadcasts from across the map

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 15, 2024

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Am I hitting bugged evacs, or are you supposed to be seeing constant heavies in the dozens or more?

Because christ. I just don't have the ammo if anything else.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I miss the handheld mortar from the first game. sure it caused more friendly fire damage than anything else, but that's just an unavoidable fact of life.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

light armor with the shield pack is hilariously better than any other setup right now

shield pack is busted good

I'm not sure armor rating is working properly at all

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

raverrn posted:

Am I hitting bugged evacs, or are you supposed to be seeing constant heavies in the dozens or more?

Because christ. I just don't have the ammo if anything else.

If its the defense missions I think that's just what to expect right now.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

victrix posted:

I'm not sure armor rating is working properly at all

I think someone did some tests and found out that armor rating does nothing at this point; run with the lightest armor you've got till they fix it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's annoying because it's randomized. There's no trick to it. If you enter a code and get the wrong stratagem you have to put your pokeball away and redial the code until you get what you want. It would be better if, for example, the orbital strike and autocannon were permanently swapped for the duration of the mission and you had to remember which is which.

It can only call strategems off CD, just use your supply ones regularly and they cant get accident called

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jawnycat posted:

I think someone did some tests and found out that armor rating does nothing at this point; run with the lightest armor you've got till they fix it.

Boy that sure doesn't sound like my experience at all, I tried light armor once and got torn apart in a couple bites but the heavy poo poo lets me tank some hits while I fend off my attackers or giving me time to stim up. I didn't find the speed boost of the light armor more useful than the ability to take hits without dying right away with the heavy armor.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Jawnycat posted:

Yeah, I'm going with the premium shop ultra light armor that cuts explosive damage, works pretty well.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Throw range boosting light armor has felt like easily the best option to me so far. Love being able to land airstrikes basically anywhere within LOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
lol it's been said before but the 120mm barrage loving sucks