Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Does he have an email address publicly tied to his SA profile? Could also just PM him and see if he gets an email about it.

Real talk I got a stomach bug from my kid's daycare last week which ended with me hunched over a toilet, and I definitely thought about Ehud to give me strength in the moment I threw up anyway :(

Speaking of, has anyone had a stomach reaction to a covid booster? We got ours a week ago Friday and my stomach has been fucky ever since. Thankfully no vomiting or butt squirts, and when I went to the ER on Sunday the doctor ran blood and urine and said it was probably just gastritis. I think it’s finally starting to get better but this has been really annoying and unpleasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The latest booster had the mildest of all impacts to this goon

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

LeeMajors posted:

Donald Trump is in my city and I don’t loving like it.

I dreamt last night that I was supposed to meditate between Trump and Biden about something, but Biden was late, so I had to make small talk with Trump for a half hour to kill time

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Glumslinger posted:

I dreamt last night that I was supposed to meditate between Trump and Biden about something, but Biden was late, so I had to make small talk with Trump for a half hour to kill time

Late in person, or late with his answers?

LeeMajors posted:

Charleston is fine for South Carolina. But that Lost Cause toxic sludge is like in the trees and the wind around here.

The levers of power are 100% owned by real estate developers and/or old south old money fuckbags, and the only permanent transplants are either from the depths of Ohio or aren’t numerous enough to dent local electoral politics. And even if they could, they’d quickly be gerrymandered out of existence.

It’s pretty here though.

:lolarizona: and all, but I have to say that it's at least slightly improving over time, largely due to the continued influx of people from the likes of California, New York, etc. There's still a ton of MAGA crazies, but it's amusing seeing them rage about the California transplants, who themselves are usually conservative but not always MAGA crazy. I think I've been seeing as many "Stay Out Californians" and such stickers lately as I have anti-Biden/pro-Trump.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

swickles posted:

Anyone know how to get in touch with Ehud? I want to send him Jason Kirk's book because I think he is the target demographic to the letter.

Say “Ryan Tannehill” 3 times in a dark room in front of a mirror and then post the video to the AFCE thread.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ehud was just posting yesterday or today in the D4 thread in Videogames. You could probably just PM him?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ok I’ll bite: who’s ehud

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dolphins fan, never throws up, grew up in a religious household and knows a fair bit of relatively obscure bible stuff, loves Diablo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

He turns up in WoW Classic threads too. Fuckin nerd

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

Dolphins fan, never throws up, grew up in a religious household and knows a fair bit of relatively obscure bible stuff, loves Diablo

loves to deadlift

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kalli posted:

Prints shirts, right?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

not much man what’s ehud with you

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pron on VHS posted:

He freed Israel from 18 years of oppression by the Moabites.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I just got a phone call from a recorded Gavin Newsome asking me to donate $3 to the North Carolina governors campaign. I’m confused.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Docjowles posted:

He turns up in WoW Classic threads too. Fuckin nerd

Can you imagine?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Amy Pole Her posted:

I just got a phone call from a recorded Gavin Newsome asking me to donate $3 to the North Carolina governors campaign. I’m confused.

What the

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Love the deep fake political ads they're so good.

I get 4 "You aren't registered check here" spam texts a day now.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
https://www.thecut.com/article/amazon-scam-call-ftc-arrest-warrants.html

This entire article is incredible and you won't regret reading it

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve got all junk and unknown callers silenced but like three times a day I get double tapped with a random number missed call. Always different, somewhere in-state. Never a voicemail left. It’s pretty loving annoying.

_______

E: I also just bought an auto drip coffee maker for the first time in over a decade (I’ve been a full-bore pour-over nerd :jerkbag:) so I snagged this Zojirushi programmable on the strength of the rice cooker following and solid reviews. The build quality absolutely rules. Ready to fire it up in the am.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 15, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

opposable thumbs.db posted:

That’s wild. I sent it to my uncle as a “see? Happens a ton” kind of thing. He’s still taking getting scammed pretty hard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

That really sucks and all, but never store login credentials and never store payment information if you're not required to do so.

"Someone used your Amazon account to buy 30 grand in dildos!" Yeah with whose credit card bud

E: that's not to say that she's dumb and deserves to be punished, but I just do my best to never give scammers an opening.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 15, 2024

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I got a Discover card

Wait till the thief Discovers I ain’t got no drat money

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Amy Pole Her posted:

In general, a Republican in the Governor's office would be real bad for NC. The current front runner is particularly awful though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

That’s a great article, and I fear my family will fall for something similar. They’re really good about scamming.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Welp, today was my last day at work :toot:

I had given notice two weeks ago that my last day would be tomorrow. At 3:45, I got called to a meeting with my manager, who thanked me for being professional and working through these weeks and whatnot, but that I didn’t need to come in tomorrow but I’d still get paid for it. I said I didn’t mind coming in, but she’d already submitted the poo poo to HR to get my badge deactivated and my email turned off today, so that was that.

I basically had an hour to write a quick email saying bye to a bunch of people I wanted to say bye to, in person to a few others I wanted to see, print a letter to another person (:pray:), and that was that. I ended up hanging around downstairs with some support guys I’m close with, so technically I didn’t leave until 5:30, but that’s how it ended.

So yeah, now I get some time off, and I’m watching my brother’s dog for a day or two, so Stella is now occupying my bed.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
get paid to pet a dog. goals

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Coco13 posted:

get paid to pet a dog. goals

QFT

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The government does not send phone calls for serious things. They send letters. Or people.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I really don't get how someone like that falls for the wallet inspector routine.

The government works slow as hell. If you just like stop paying taxes, it'll take years before the IRS does anything and if you work with them at all they won't do anything to you beyond fine you a bit, like anyone who's talked to someone with serious financial problems would be familiar with small time financial stuff like that. You have to work really, really hard to spur the feds into action on anything, and if you're doing something that's supposedly going to put you in prison, that the CIA is dealing with? They're sending cops or their cops to pick you up, they aren't loving calling you.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The whole point of the scam is to get you stressed so you don’t think clearly. It does seem crazy that normal rational people seem to fall for these kinds of scams all the time, but also our brains suck sometimes.

But yea, no one is calling you out of the blue. Not even Amazon calls people out of the blue and the government most definitely doesn’t. Never trust a stranger on the phone who called you first.

It’s actually kind of brave of her to write that because the other way scams work is to get people too embarrassed to talk about it, which makes it easier for them to keep scamming people.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

we went camping on wednesday night, it's the 27th anniversary of our first date
got rained on, got too wet, couldn't have a camp fire, spent the evening in the back of the SUV which was fine actually. Cleared up this morning, did some hiking, lots of cool mushrooms

this one is like two feet across

little very orangy-red guy

the orange snot in between all these turkey tails is called "witch's butter" lol

Also tracked down the same blue heron we saw last time, apparently this is where he usually hangs out

highly recommend off-season camping in bad weather, we had the place to ourselves last night

Bird in a Blender posted:

The whole point of the scam is to get you stressed so you don’t think clearly. It does seem crazy that normal rational people seem to fall for these kinds of scams all the time, but also our brains suck sometimes.

But yea, no one is calling you out of the blue. Not even Amazon calls people out of the blue and the government most definitely doesn’t. Never trust a stranger on the phone who called you first.

It’s actually kind of brave of her to write that because the other way scams work is to get people too embarrassed to talk about it, which makes it easier for them to keep scamming people.

One of the things I've heard is easy and quick to drum into people is "the federal government always sends mail. Always. If they're calling you, it's not them." I think even in this lady's case, that would have saved her.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 16, 2024

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I started falling for a scam a couple years ago. It was one of those things where they send you an unsolicited invoice on PayPal — so you are in fact getting a legitimate email from PayPal — but the details of the invoice make it look like a charge notification, and, oh look, there’s a contact number for PayPal right there in the email. I never gave them anything more than a phone call and ten minutes or so of my life, but looking back on it, I was surprised how easily I slid into it. You get past that initial leap of credibility, and now you’re in a process that you know is going to be annoying and unfamiliar, and you start taking a lot in stride.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Anytime I see one of those emails that looks legit enough to raise my hackles, I just check my credit report and move on.

Our credit is frozen with all three bureaus all the time, we both regularly check our reports to make sure accounts are as they should be and nothing new has been opened. And other than that we just don’t ever answer the phone for loving anything ever.

Also I think both of our dads hit us with the “government doesn’t do phone calls” thing early. It’s frustrating and kinda dumb, but knowing the government does the slowest form of communication almost exclusively is a huge filter for misinfo.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Leperflesh posted:

spent the evening in the back of the SUV which was fine actually.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

heh well yeah, valentine's day, no wifi, no devices, too dark to read, what the hell else are you gonna do

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

Anytime I see one of those emails that looks legit enough to raise my hackles, I just check my credit report and move on.

Our credit is frozen with all three bureaus all the time, we both regularly check our reports to make sure accounts are as they should be and nothing new has been opened. And other than that we just don’t ever answer the phone for loving anything ever.

Also I think both of our dads hit us with the “government doesn’t do phone calls” thing early. It’s frustrating and kinda dumb, but knowing the government does the slowest form of communication almost exclusively is a huge filter for misinfo.

One thing I found out this year: You used to be able to get your credit report from all three agencies once a year through annualcreditreport.com for free. Now, you can get them every week for free as well, and it’s a permanent change.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

One thing I found out this year: You used to be able to get your credit report from all three agencies once a year through annualcreditreport.com for free. Now, you can get them every week for free as well, and it’s a permanent change.

Yeah it rules. I don’t pay for any accounts I just have the login to freeze and unfreeze at will whenever we do anything that requires a pull.

I usually don’t even pull a report—just checking active accounts and lines of credit is enough to set my mind at ease.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I like those ads saying they'll help find and clear your credit score for $xxx and just use the government's free website somehow nobody knows about. I assume their advice will be pay a bill now and then. In Australia anyway.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Leperflesh posted:

heh well yeah, valentine's day, no wifi, no devices, too dark to read, what the hell else are you gonna do

Discuss the impact of the inevitable consequences of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and the Soviet invasion of Bessarabia.

Or sleep cause we're all old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The psychology of scarcity is interesting and terrifying. You like legitimately make spiraling poor decisions as scarcity increases because desperation like straight up changes brain chemistry. It’s wild.

It’s also why personal responsibility shitheads are so infuriating. They are like three meals away from blowing their next check on vape carts for the faintest glimmer of pleasure too, they’re just too dumb to realize it.