Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

what are some classic lines from Avatar?
"NO!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey fellow film nerds. Haven’t posted here in a while, but something recently happened that kinda blew me away in terms of…. Film nerdiness, I guess?

I moved out of my hometown and across the country about 4 years ago, and during that time my father started and pretty much devoted himself to a nonprofit entity called “Kinonik” where he collects and screens prints of older films. I never took it too seriously and thought it was a small thing he did to sort of recapture his favorite job from his youth (film projectionist) in his retirement. Which is totally awesome and cool as far as I’m concerned, but I should have paid more attention.

He recently sent me a list of all the films he’s amassed in his collection so far, and I cannot overstate how ridiculously impressed I was. He’s got maybe 500 films at this point, including original 16mm prints of films like…. Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, Rashomon, Ikiru, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, The 400 Blows, Scarface (the original 1932 one), The Seventh Seal, Fanny and Alexander… and those are just like a very small number of the especially high quality *original* prints of some films he’s collected so far!

So, I really and truly don’t know what to think. I’m pretty sure some of those film prints are pretty valuable and rare, and I would have thought EXTREMELY valuable and rare. But maybe not that crazy if my dad can do this in like 5 years? I really don’t know how hard it would be get “A” quality original film prints of, say, just Sunset Boulevard and Double Indemnity! Let alone an original copy of The Wizard of Oz with the switch to IB Tech mid-reel. I’m sort of reeling from this news.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nice

How do they get these films

Do theaters ignore instructions to return/destroy films, and then a couple decades later decide they’re taking up too much room?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jay Rust posted:

what are some classic lines from Avatar?

*Wilhelm scream*

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Nice

How do they get these films

Do theaters ignore instructions to return/destroy films, and then a couple decades later decide they’re taking up too much room?

Well, I asked my dad this, and it basically comes down to this: he started it as a non-profit entity both because he wasn’t interested in making profits from this endeavor, and because he knew it would make him far more attractive as a place for all sorts from university libraries downsizing space (librarians hate to throw things away and would rather donate than destroy) to private collectors looking for someone who can restore and maintain (and ideally share with the public) whatever they might have, and not just directly profit by selling them for a profit.

But yeah, some prints he has in part because theaters did not destroy certain prints that they should have, but I think that’s actually rare. I mean, his entire collection is pre-1980 or so; and 90% of that is pre-1960 I would say,. I sort of imagine that policies might have been different back then? Not really sure..

He has a ton of silent era stuff, too. Dozens of Chaplin titles, lots of Buster Keaton, Roscoe Arbuckle, Fritz Lang, FW Murnau…. And good copies of all the big titles by those guys you’re probably thinking of. Again, I don’t know what to think, really!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Basebf555 posted:

My point there was just that DiCaprio and Winslet became A-list stars and maintained that status for multiple decades. So I feel like Titanic gets a boost in terms of staying power because of that. In the years to come people will be going back and revisiting their careers in a way that isn't the case for anyone involved in Avatar. And I don't think when people show their kids and grandkids Sigourney Weaver movies that Avatar would make the short list.

Is she? Winslet I mean

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 15, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Peccadillo posted:

Is she? Winslet I mean

She did a Doctor Who audio play last year. She's definitely not A list anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think that's just a thing British people are required to do at some point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I watched A Little Chaos (that one about the gardener to Louis XIV) and it seemed like she'd aged straight from 18 to 50 since last time I'd seen her. Casting for "women of a certain age" is famously thin on the ground unless you're doing shows like Wheel of Time or, like, Bad Sisters which seem tailor-made to address exactly that issue.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lol, I had a dream where I was trying to remember the name of Hype Williams, and what I came up with was Bob Euphoria.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Open Source Idiom posted:

Every British actor or actress does a who thing. It is required by Uk law.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

Either that or Holby City/Casualty

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

I think that's just a thing British people are required to do at some point.

Mr Hootington posted:

Helen Mirren in shambles right now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kaworu posted:

Hey fellow film nerds. Haven’t posted here in a while, but something recently happened that kinda blew me away in terms of…. Film nerdiness, I guess?

I moved out of my hometown and across the country about 4 years ago, and during that time my father started and pretty much devoted himself to a nonprofit entity called “Kinonik” where he collects and screens prints of older films. I never took it too seriously and thought it was a small thing he did to sort of recapture his favorite job from his youth (film projectionist) in his retirement. Which is totally awesome and cool as far as I’m concerned, but I should have paid more attention.

He recently sent me a list of all the films he’s amassed in his collection so far, and I cannot overstate how ridiculously impressed I was. He’s got maybe 500 films at this point, including original 16mm prints of films like…. Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, Rashomon, Ikiru, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, The 400 Blows, Scarface (the original 1932 one), The Seventh Seal, Fanny and Alexander… and those are just like a very small number of the especially high quality *original* prints of some films he’s collected so far!

So, I really and truly don’t know what to think. I’m pretty sure some of those film prints are pretty valuable and rare, and I would have thought EXTREMELY valuable and rare. But maybe not that crazy if my dad can do this in like 5 years? I really don’t know how hard it would be get “A” quality original film prints of, say, just Sunset Boulevard and Double Indemnity! Let alone an original copy of The Wizard of Oz with the switch to IB Tech mid-reel. I’m sort of reeling from this news.

That's awesome. What's his archival/preservation situation looking like?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

Is she? Winslet I mean

Her status as A-list may be debatable today, but she's a 7 time Oscar nominee and a legendary actress that people will remember and go back to revisit as time goes on. I think having someone like that(and Leo) in a movie does give it extra legs that it wouldn't have otherwise, and we're splitting hairs here with Avatar vs. Titanic so this is like a little extra tie-breaker.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
She also won a Golden Globe and an Emmy for Mare of Easttown 2 years ago, a show that arguably 99% of people only watched because she was in it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

She acts Leo off the screen in Titanic. He's a total amateur by comparison.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
She is absolutely an A-lister, wth y'all talking about??

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BonoMan posted:

what's an a-lister exactly?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea it's a weird term that everybody seems to have their own definition for.

The overall point I think is indisputable though, which is that none of the lead actors in Avatar are people that anybody will remember 50 years from now. Nobody will be saying "I'm gonna show my kid some Sam Worthington movies that I grew up with".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it's a weird term that everybody seems to have their own definition for.

The overall point I think is indisputable though, which is that none of the lead actors in Avatar are people that anybody will remember 50 years from now. Nobody will be saying "I'm gonna show my kid some Sam Worthington movies that I grew up with".

Kate Winslet is in Avatar 2, and probably the next ones

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well she has to eat doesn't she

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's awesome. What's his archival/preservation situation looking like?

You know, I’m really not sure! I’ll have to ask him next time we talk. He does have a website set up at https://www.kinonik.org - and if you happen to live in the Portland, Maine area (somewhat unlikely, I know) he has showtimes there for screenings he’s always doing. He just did “Some Like it Hot” for Valentine’s Day, I think, then “Witness for the Prosecution” later this week to maintain some Wilder consistency, I suppose.

I’m actually going back home for a little while in a few weeks, and my dad’s current issue is that he has some 300 reels of various “junk and random shorter reels” that he hasn’t even had the time to catalog, let alone properly watch. And more coming in all the time, apparently. And to me that sounds like all the truly interesting and cool stuff where you see the truly weird/strange stuff that got put to film back in the day. I joked to him that maybe there’s an unseen Doctor Who serial on one of those reels, which is pretty unlikely but fun to think about.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thats incredibly cool would love to hear about his storage of the prints and films he got he wasnt expecting, like you're bit about him having a ton of reels to catalog, if anything rare came out of a similar moment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeimosRising posted:

what's an a-lister exactly?
An actor who has received an A rating from James Ulmer.

That's why these lists of top-grossing actors are deceptive. Does anybody think that James Cameron was only able to secure such a big budget for Avatar because he cast Worthington and Saldaña?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The definition of what a "movie star" is has changed a lot in the past 25 or 30 years too, so naturally then the idea of what people consider to be an A-lister shifts as well. Like, if we're going by how many movie stars can get a movie greenlit and make it a box office hit all on the strength of their name alone, you could almost argue that there are currently zero A-listers. Even the mighty Tom Cruise has become dependent on his nostalgic franchises.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

Thats incredibly cool would love to hear about his storage of the prints and films he got he wasnt expecting, like you're bit about him having a ton of reels to catalog, if anything rare came out of a similar moment.

I'll echo this, I'd love to hear about his setup.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kaworu posted:

You know, I’m really not sure! I’ll have to ask him next time we talk. He does have a website set up at https://www.kinonik.org - and if you happen to live in the Portland, Maine area (somewhat unlikely, I know) he has showtimes there for screenings he’s always doing. He just did “Some Like it Hot” for Valentine’s Day, I think, then “Witness for the Prosecution” later this week to maintain some Wilder consistency, I suppose.

I’m actually going back home for a little while in a few weeks, and my dad’s current issue is that he has some 300 reels of various “junk and random shorter reels” that he hasn’t even had the time to catalog, let alone properly watch. And more coming in all the time, apparently. And to me that sounds like all the truly interesting and cool stuff where you see the truly weird/strange stuff that got put to film back in the day. I joked to him that maybe there’s an unseen Doctor Who serial on one of those reels, which is pretty unlikely but fun to think about.

i don't live in Portland, ME but i love visiting there, will have to bookmark this. really cool stuff!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, this is fabulous. You must be extremely proud of your dad.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

BonoMan posted:

She's only the lead of a new show (the regime) and the sole focus/draw in the advertising!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kaworu posted:

His upcoming lineup is sick, he’s got stuff scheduled out for months.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Your dad rocks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kaworu posted:

This is *very* cool. Definite retirement goals.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FreudianSlippers posted:

Your dad rocks.

Echoing this, I'm incredibly impressed.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Your dad rocks.

Much cooler than my dad. :(

I’d say an A-lister is someone who most people can identify without prompting. You don’t have to say “you know, they were in that film or show”: people just know. Kate Winslet is definitely an A-lister.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Data Graham posted:

I watched A Little Chaos (that one about the gardener to Louis XIV) and it seemed like she'd aged straight from 18 to 50 since last time I'd seen her. Casting for "women of a certain age" is famously thin on the ground unless you're doing shows like Wheel of Time or, like, Bad Sisters which seem tailor-made to address exactly that issue.

I freaking love that movie what did you think of it?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Winslet hasn't been A List for decades.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I freaking love that movie what did you think of it?

It was excellent, and I found it to be one of those movies where I have to pause it every few minutes to sketch the actors emoting. I have several pages of doodles of Winslet and Rickman pulling faces lol

Gods & Monsters was another one

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

To be completely honest, I’m also truly blown away and impressed because I knew he was doing this, just not quite so successfully! That he had already amassed such an amazing collection, or that he really was doing so many regular screenings at this point. And I absolutely agree with the mission/philosophy behind what he’s doing, and think it’s just totally fantastic that’s he’s really proactively trying to preserve that traditional film experience.

And it’s not like he’s a technophobe or the kind of boomer who is bad with technology and “doesn’t get” computers - nothing could be further from that. He owned and operated a business that went from basically creating slides for corporate presentations/purposes in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s (long before PowerPoint or even personal computers) to doing large-scale digital printing for retail stores by the late ‘90s, which involved very early and extensive use of Adobe Photoshop back in the ‘90s before it got huge…. Uh, at least partially because of this stupid website, heh.

What’s always impressed me about him is his ability to adapt and change to whatever the current technology might be at the time. I remember being 10 years old in 1995 or so when he came home with a 28.8 modem, excitedly talking about how it’s the fastest thing available and setting up an AOL account for the family computer - I was already playing Lucasarts games like Day of the Tentacle, Fate of Atlantis, and Rebel Assault (with only MS—DOS for an OS) on it, thanks to my dad.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on a little bit there about the guy - I don’t get a chance to talk about him like this ever, usually. I told him about this thread, and he said he was going to send me some video of his studio tomorrow for me to share with you guys - although I’m pretty curious to see it myself, too!

kaworu fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

kaworu posted:

Neat, I've been to Portland a few times and been meaning to go back. I'll look out for this next time. Portland, Maine is a pretty cool place.