Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Arivia posted:

I’m shocked there’s underground tunnels. Why didn’t they just commercialize them as a PATH extension that seems like something a Conservative government would have ordered
Probably because the tunnels are much narrower than the PATH tunnels are were only designed for maintenance, carry infrastructure, and transporting patients. To do anything with them other than "move people and equipment around" would cost a fortune. Plus, they probably don't want the general public walking through areas where patients in critical condition are being moved around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arabian Jesus posted:

Happy 18th anniversary to this moment in Canadian history

https://youtu.be/zMBJp0yJvsY?si=M7xTIbASd_wMi8dt

28th, gramps.

Stephen Harper was prime minister 18 years ago.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 15, 2024

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Arabian Jesus posted:

Happy 18th anniversary to this moment in Canadian history

https://youtu.be/zMBJp0yJvsY?si=M7xTIbASd_wMi8dt

Knew what this was before I even clicked the link (and knew the years were wrong lol)

How is Chretien's rep outside of Quebec? He sure as gently caress is more liked here than Mulroney ever was

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
My mistake was quoting a dnd rule rather than just telling him to gently caress off with his pro genocide concern trolling. It won’t happen again.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lolling at trying to rules lawyer in a comedy internet forum

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Israel is currently invading a hospital and murdering doctors while our tax dollars pay for it

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

sounds like we should launch some kind of senate inquiry

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Eh maybe not

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 15, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The immediate pushback for that, uh protest adjacent to Mount Sinai i guess? at all levels of government compared to the gentle treatment of anti-lockdown people interfering with hospital traffic is quite a thing to notice.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 15, 2024

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Anytime JT or anybody in parliament publicly condemns antisemitic protests it should be rubbed in their nose that they gave a standing O to a literal WW2 nazi like actually less than a year ago.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

"I'm sorry Prime Minister blackface finds this outrageous..."

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Remembering that JT took part in a climate protest while actively being Prime Minister of the country with the worst per capita CO2 emissions in the world still riles me up at random times.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lucasar posted:

Anytime JT or anybody in parliament publicly condemns antisemitic protests it should be rubbed in their nose that they gave a standing O to a literal WW2 nazi like actually less than a year ago.

Maybe those terrible anti-semitic people protesting... *checks notes*... an active ongoing genocide should have considered joining the SS first if they wanted to be shown respect by our government.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Simiain posted:

Remembering that JT took part in a climate protest while actively being Prime Minister of the country with the worst per capita CO2 emissions in the world still riles me up at random times.

He also protested for black lives matter while actively sending his paramilitary to disposess indigineous people of their land

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Lucasar posted:

Do we know exactly what the deal with that was yet? I find it hard to believe that anyone who has the PM's ear said "hey let's invite a Nazi to parliament lmao" but I also do not understand how you accidentally invite a Nazi to parliament.

Also as an immigrant Brit who spent way too much time watching BBC Parliament I find it especially reprehensible that they acknowledged someone in the gallery :colbert:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nobody Interesting posted:

Do we know exactly what the deal with that was yet? I find it hard to believe that anyone who has the PM's ear said "hey let's invite a Nazi to parliament lmao" but I also do not understand how you accidentally invite a Nazi to parliament.

Also as an immigrant Brit who spent way too much time watching BBC Parliament I find it especially reprehensible that they acknowledged someone in the gallery :colbert:

Simple, a national history of Ukrainian diaspora downplaying their roles in WW2 and being simultaneously very politically active.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Powershift posted:

28th, gramps.

Stephen Harper was prime minister 18 years ago.

But that means that I'm.... Oh no

stab posted:

Knew what this was before I even clicked the link (and knew the years were wrong lol)

How is Chretien's rep outside of Quebec? He sure as gently caress is more liked here than Mulroney ever was

I think it's generally positive between the funny moments like that and the keeping us out of Iraq

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Probably because the tunnels are much narrower than the PATH tunnels are were only designed for maintenance, carry infrastructure, and transporting patients. To do anything with them other than "move people and equipment around" would cost a fortune. Plus, they probably don't want the general public walking through areas where patients in critical condition are being moved around.

Sorry, I was trying to be really obviously sarcastic and cynical. It’s a good thing that the hospitals have their own tunnel network, that kind of infrastructure is important.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Arivia posted:

Sorry, I was trying to be really obviously sarcastic and cynical. It’s a good thing that the hospitals have their own tunnel network, that kind of infrastructure is important.
oh, lol, my bad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

oh, lol, my bad

It's okay, Internet sarcasm doesn't work and all that, you made some good points in response, just wanted you to know I wasn't actually advocating for that poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm curious why the Ontario govt is doing a sudden about-face on this.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/lcbo-northern-ontario-controlled-entrances-minister-response-1.7115170

When they announced earlier this week that they were planning to roll out controlled entrances at LCBOs in Northern Ontario my only thought was "I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner", but apparently they're scrapping plans now over privacy concerns.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Really? You don't see why collecting data on everyone entering a liquor store is a lovely idea?

And what the gently caress was their plan for people that don't have ID? Just don't let them buy booze?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RBC posted:

Really? You don't see why collecting data on everyone entering a liquor store is a lovely idea?

And what the gently caress was their plan for people that don't have ID? Just don't let them buy booze?

Given the Ford government's history I would say there most likely was no plan, this was just some stupid idea put forward by someone who bought has Ford's ear.

e: Like I would not be surprised if the process was "Wouldnt it be neat if..." and before any more words came out the Cons just said in unison "YES!" and it was off to the drafting board.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think that if we actually care about people whose life is such a shambles they don't even have ID and we want to help them, we probably should not be selling them poison.

Also you can already be denied for not having ID if you "look under 25", and no one thinks that's some huge civil rights violation.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 16, 2024

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Thanks maude flanders, you can be responsible when the homeless alcoholic dies of withdrawal.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

RBC posted:

They don't let people without ID buy booze now. It's kind of a law.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Do you guys ever leave the house?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Entropic posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/lcbo-northern-ontario-controlled-entrances-minister-response-1.7115170

When they announced earlier this week that they were planning to roll out controlled entrances at LCBOs in Northern Ontario my only thought was "I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner", but apparently they're scrapping plans now over privacy concerns.

My guess is that it was a policy developed inside the LCBO itself that the Minister wasn't aware of, and that when it hit public news and had such immediate backlash the Minister stepped in before it could get any worse. Or at least, that's what the government is going to try and make it seem like - a mistake at lower levels that the Minister wasn't aware of and didn't approve.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tell me you haven't been to the LCBO in a decade OR look under 25 without telling me that you etc etc

God, is it even possible there are people under the age of 25 posting on these forums??

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

RBC posted:

Do you guys ever leave the house?

I was making an (admittedly weak) joke, but you gotta know by now that the Ontario government's policy toward the sorts of people who might not have ID is that they are losers who should be punished, and ideally they would simply stop existing.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I almost wonder if it’s just a really dumb and delayed response to all those stories that went around a year or two ago about how many people just walk right out of the lcbo with their arms full of booze

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
They probably just saw what manitoba was doing and wanted it for their group.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

I almost wonder if it’s just a really dumb and delayed response to all those stories that went around a year or two ago about how many people just walk right out of the lcbo with their arms full of booze

I don't agree with the policy either but it really is a lovely and dangerous time to be a service worker. I have had to restrict physical access to some of my businesses because the amount of threats, harassment and petty violence is overwhelming to the staff. Unfortunately I think we're going to keep seeing more and more of this until we start taking social problems seriously (lmao)

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Does anyone know if any of the political parties are offering resources on how to climb less anti-semitically? Thinking about trying bouldering, but worried about unsolicited condemnation and/or standing ovations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://x.com/TheBreakdownAB/status/1757954047137681912?s=20

Alberta continues to be a shithole hellscape ran by a clown

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

ZShakespeare posted:

pro genocide concern trolling

:sigh:

We both know no such thing occurred.

RBC posted:

lolling at trying to rules lawyer in a comedy internet forum

Isn't this basically the one forum where that's almost encouraged? There's even an additional set of rules to rules-lawyer.

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

I'm pretty sure it's this. They have to have been hoping to roll this out across the province to look tough on people ripping off the LCBO, because something something our tax dollars.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

COPE 27 posted:

I don't agree with the policy either but it really is a lovely and dangerous time to be a service worker. I have had to restrict physical access to some of my businesses because the amount of threats, harassment and petty violence is overwhelming to the staff. Unfortunately I think we're going to keep seeing more and more of this until we start taking social problems seriously (lmao)

Oh, absolutely. My wife and I just moved cities and after 13 years working in cafes I think I’m done working service. It just isn’t worth it anymore

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Entropic posted:

Thunder Bay, Sioux Lookout and Kenora, eh? :raise:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tagesschau posted:

Isn't this basically the one forum where that's almost encouraged? There's even an additional set of rules to rules-lawyer.

this is not the rules of the house nor the senate this is weird american bullshit you can do better even you can tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rob-oliphant-gaza-israel-joly-hamas-unrwa-1.711546

quote:

Oliphant said on the call that, even if the Israeli allegation is true, he doesn't agree with the Trudeau government's response.

"You don't stop aid to Gaza because of 12 or 13 employees out of 13,000. It drives me crazy," he said. "It is opportunistic, it is unfair, and it is maligning the operation of a UN organization that is doing, not perfect work — there's no organization that's made of human beings that's perfect, UNRWA has its faults. But it is the best we have for education, for medical care, for food, all of those things."

At least some people in our government know they are wrong, even if they are cowards